Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'd be curious if there really is such a thing as a paint that can be sprayed on and not create orange peel that then needs to be sanded and then polished off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Motronic posted:

No jagged edges between layers of paint and bodywork, etc.

This and the poster who posted about any single possible imperfection showing up insanely worse once you throw the paint on are completely right. Stuff I felt with my hand and thought was smooth was not and it showed up in the paint and ask me about wasting 20 odd hours trying to get a ghetto acceptable paint job right and still bodging that completely. Looks alright from 15 feet though.

I'll be re-sanding everything down and trying a roll on job next.

If I learned some lessons from trying my first cheapo paint job they would be the following:

1.) Dust is an absolute bitch, get some tarps/plastic/etc. and loving close that poo poo off. Spending all that time cleaning the entire car with mineral spirits and a pile of terry cloths does not loving matter if there's even a little bit of dust floating around.
2.) You will never figure out the right distance to spray with a rattle can and it will never come out evenly or consistently because it's not regulated at all and poo poo and paint will fly out however fast it feels like. Too far? Speckle city. Too close? Blobs everywhere. Just right? poo poo doesn't exist.
3.) You can never sand enough and no that isn't smooth enough sand it some more.
4.) Bondo loving rocks for filling low spots/dents and can be painted super well A+++ would buy again.
5.) Soldering irons are fantastic for repairing bumpers (especially attachment loops) just don't breathe that poo poo in.
6.) Mask glass to protect from sanding, then sand, then once it's all sanded and cleaned, mask everything important for painting.

I somehow realize that all this poo poo is common sense and despite reading this thread and so many guides managed to still forget so much. :smith:

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 14, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Motronic posted:

The back will never be anything more than a 100 yard job. All it would have taken is an hour or so to do something with that.

If the paint is thick enough could he wet sand 1500 grit and then hit it with something like meguiar's ultimate to get rid of the orange peel?

Basing that on https://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html, I'm also painting a car in white and planning on following this to a tee.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 18, 2014

• Locked thread