Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Here is my $50 paint job saga....

1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4.0L, full-time and part time 4x4. Picked it up for $150 off Craigslist back in 2010...

Day 1. Had smallish rust holes forming. I was between jobs at the time and had a massive attached garage so I figured I would fix the rust issues.

The rust was waaay worse than expected. Had to cut out all the rust in the wheel-well, inner sheetmetal and ends.. sigh..

New sheet metal welded in and ready for more massaging.

Sanded and masked off for rolling on!

The paint... Valspar Oil Based (OSHA Safety Yellow). Mineral spirits, one gallon can, plastic tray and 4 inch high density rollers...

First coat.. OH GOD! What have I done to my Jeep??!

Small bubbles that form when you roll it on. The paint is soo thin that they simply pop. Thin the paint till it's like milk.

This is like coat #8 I believe. Wet sanding between every other coat with 600 grit. It's getting very shiny..

Door after 7th coat.

Cut out the rusty rocker metal, patched with new 18 guage and welded in 2x6 box steel. Can jack up the XJ from the rockers if needed now. Herculiner for coverage.

All 22 coats. Rolled the Jeep outside.

Here is how she looks todayish. 4 inch lift and new 31s at the time this pic was taken. About 4 years after I painted it..

Another "Glamour Shot" just after I did my homebrew lift. Still sportin 235/75 tires when this pic was taken.

Yes, it is a TON of wet sanding. You will get paint residue all over the place.

You WILL need to use rubbing compound twice a year followed by a plain old liquid Turtle Wax to keep the shine and depth. It WILL go flat, and dull every 4 months or so.

Would I do it again? No. Absolutely not. I purchased a cheapo 100 dollar HVLP gun kit last year to paint my stepsons KLR650. A++. Would recommend spraying instead of rolling on.

Now, I am thinking of stripping the Jeep and spraying a 2-part paint. The oil-based alkyd paint is simply too soft. Even after 4 years of baking in the South Dakota sun, if tree crap falls on it, it soaks in to the paint.

If it was my utility trailer, or a farm tractor or old mailbox? Hells yeah. Oil based all day long. Vehicle you want to look good? Just spray it with 2-part paint.

WalMart 96c Gloss Black spray paint holds up EXTREMELY WELL on rims and fender flares. I dropped 6 bux a can once for Rustoleum Heavy Duty for another project and it didn't last NEARLY as long as the cheap Wally World stuff. I buy it by the case now for garage projects. Recommend the flat and gloss black cans for touchups on everything that doesn't get too hot.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread