Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Yes, I'm an economical Planters. Don't you dare eat me.
Problem description: I have an old HP laser printer that I want directly connected to my ethernet connection on my main PC. Everything is working, but when I enabled the ethernet network card that is connected to the printer, I lose the internet on my WiFi although it shows Access type: internet in the Network and sharing center. So each time I want to print, I have to enable the network card and then disabled it.

WiFi is on DHCP
Ethernet (printer) is set manually to: IP 200.200.200.1, Subnet: 255.255.255.255, Default gateway: 200.200.200.50 (printer IP)

Attempted fixes: I tried to prioritize the Wifi card over the ethernet, but it doesn't solve the problem. I also tried to bridge the 2 connections, but then I lost the printer.

Recent changes: Not applicable

--

Operating system: Windows 7 pro

System specs: Not applicable

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The first thing I see is that you're trying to use someone else's Internet IP address for your printer. Try again using a valid LAN IP address, like the 10.x range. Also, why are you trying to do it like this instead of connecting the printer to your switch?

ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

The junction box with the network cables and everything is in another room than my printer.

What do you mean using someone else ip for my printer? Wouldn't LAN ip adress have priority over internet? And why would it cause to disable my internet access?

Thanks for you answer!!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The best solution is to buy a "network switch", which lets you connect multiple computers or devices to one network cable. Hook the cable going to your computer to that, and plug your computer and printer into the switch. This should "just work", with the printer pulling its information from the router and all computers on your network able to print to it without complication. Regular 4-5 port switches are dirt cheap.

The IP address you assigned to the printer, 200.200.200.1, is a real IP address on the Internet that someone is using. LAN IP addresses are in the range 192.168.* or 10.*. When you try to connect to that IP you assigned, your computer and network get super confused about where you are trying to connect to and everything falls over. In theory it is possible to make it work like this with a bunch of manual routing configuration work, but it would be a WHOLE lot easier to just switch your printer over to using a LAN IP address like intended so this confusion doesn't exist. The best/easiest way is to just have your printer pull its configuration info from your router like your other computers via DHCP, and then the only issue is getting it connected to your router, which is where the switch above comes in.

If your printer doesn't support auto-configuration via DHCP, then manually set a LAN IP that is out of the range your router assigns. For example, if your router and devices are in 192.168.1.*, manually set the printer to 192.168.2.something. This is to ensure that the router won't assign that IP to another device.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
200.200.200.1 / 255.255.255.255 and 200.200.200.50 / 255.255.255.255 are on different subnets - you would want to use 255.255.255.0 for a netmask. The traffic between the network card and printer will never traverse a router so you can give it a garbage gateway (as long as it's in the same subnet e.g. 200.200.200.254). Traffic between hosts on the same subnet does not go to the gateway as it does not need to be routed.

Should work just fine otherwise - You can use ping to test quickly. And I don't think that you would have network issues, unless you were trying to resolve a specific internet host that used the same IP as your network card or printer. Regardless, there is no reason not to use something like 192.168.2.x or 10.x.x.x to prevent this from happening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network)

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 2, 2014

ecoplan
Dec 27, 2006

Roargasm posted:

200.200.200.1 / 255.255.255.255 and 200.200.200.50 / 255.255.255.255 are on different subnets - you would want to use 255.255.255.0 for a netmask. The traffic between the network card and printer will never traverse a router so you can give it a garbage gateway (as long as it's in the same subnet e.g. 200.200.200.254). Traffic between hosts on the same subnet does not go to the gateway as it does not need to be routed.

Should work just fine otherwise - You can use ping to test quickly. And I don't think that you would have network issues, unless you were trying to resolve a specific internet host that used the same IP as your network card or printer. Regardless, there is no reason not to use something like 192.168.2.x or 10.x.x.x to prevent this from happening (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network)

Thanks! Quite informative! Just found out that I just have to turn off my printer and get my net back instantly, so it doesn't bother me that much. Might try it later, but thank for that very infomrative!

Thank you too Alereon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
1) the subnet mask matters as stated before. just use 255.255.255.0 as it is easy
2) remove the default gateway from the wired connection. It's unnecessary and counterproductive. The default gateway indicates how to get to addresses that are outside of your local layer 3 network, and your printer is certainly not a valid path for that.

• Locked thread