Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Reene posted:

And publicly searchable.

Might as well google bomb the assholes.

Hilariously, Zak S has threatened to google bomb people and Google looks unfavorably on that sort of thing so his blog and other avenues have gotten hit with blockers to prevent him from actually doing it.

Yeah, class act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Swagger Dagger posted:

Literally nobody that just plays RPGs every now and then know who Zak S or RPG Pundit are.

This doesn't excuse WotC for shouting them out or anything, but they're only really ruining the hobby if you pay attention to their infinitesimally small fiefdoms. I've kinda hated grognards.txt for years because I think it gives those people a larger readership than they would ever have otherwise.

The flagship RPG product gave them money and put their names in their big release book.

Yes, they are tiny voices. And they were given the mother of all RPG shoutouts.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

And without properly attributing them as whatever Zak S's real name would be if he had worked out what a name is in that context and John Tarnowski. I mean, I know people who were credited in Star Wars books for their online stuff, but they were credited by name, not by handle.

They were attributed under their most easily googlable identity and they presumably want people to google them and asked for their handles in there for that specific reason. I've worked with an artist who wanted a similar arrangement.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

grassy gnoll posted:

Be the change you want to be, motherfuckers. Run some games that address the issues you care about, publish your own games or supplements on the indie markets, get at least one new person a year to play our dumb games of pretend, 'cause that's what it takes to make this hobby not suck.

d20 roll dice erryday

People are already doing this and you know what they loving get? Twitter harassment and threatening emails and bombardments from personal fanbases from shitlords like the ones that are now getting money for appearing in the biggest RPG product of the year. The acknowledgment earned is that there's two paragraphs of wonky text in the book and then a dude who actively stalks trans people online and tells them to commit suicide is lurking in the credits.

So you know.

gently caress you.

But just a little.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Like okay I am not laying this at grassy gnoll's feet (hence "just a little") but let me lay it out, as an indie kinda person:

The responsibility for the hobby, the responsibility for making it better, needs to come from up top too. It can start with grassroots stuff, but if poo poo rains down from above then that's that, everything is covered in poo poo and most of the effort lies in shovelling poo poo. The effort, honest to goodness strong movement, comes largely from above. And unlike indie authors, who tend to catch flak because they are so close to their audience (or because some shitlord arranges a hit list of acceptable targets - Zak S has certainly done that), the big RPG authors who aren't in the trenches have the social pull to push for something better, to nudge in the right direction, if they can be convinced it's a worthy cause.

And hey, that's happening! And indie voices were involved! But we aren't just the hobby indie authors build. We're also the hobby the games build, the big ones. And we hear, over and over and over again, on the indie level, "just make better games and improve the hobby".

Well, sorry if I get angry at hearing that phrase, because it feels like telling me "just shovel the poo poo some more".

e: (So yeah sup grassy gnoll, sorry you were today's straw on the back)

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star posted:

Whoa, when did this happen?

Sorry, I mostly just lurk here but I don't really follow everything that's going on.

This blog has a much more thorough take on organized harassment in the hobby than I could give you. It focuses on a specific event, but don't be fooled by pseudonyms; our man Z S was involved.

If you mean the credits thing specifically, RPGPundit and Zak S are in the credits of D&D 5e as consultants. Consider that in light of the above link.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

They were fairly transparently chosen because they have fanbases, though, and unless you can really threaten a major loss of sales (considering that if they pay attention to SA they probably wrote us off as a lost cause long ago) there's not much you can do beyond expressing your distaste.

Why yes, that's what I can do.

I can inform people.

Now you can too.

Fly freeeee

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

grassy gnoll posted:

Do you see any advocacy re: turning a blind eye to the likes of Tarnowski and Zak S in my post? No, you do not, because it is not there.

D&D Next is a lazy, lovely product associated with lunatics who pass for big names in this hobby because this is what WotC thinks will be profitable. They are probably right! Currently D&D is what your average human will think of when you say the words "roleplaying game" to them, if they even think of tabletop stuff instead of a video game.

To actually affect change, a radical alteration of the climate of the hobby is necessary. You remember that post a few pages back about how Tarnowski is afraid storygame-type stuff will become the new mainstream RPG, but ha ha ha, that'll never happen, shucks? Well, it should. Hence the whole direct action thing I was talking about.

Awful lovely games from awful lovely people are going to be the norm unless there is a continuous effort to replace both. Raising awareness that, say, somebody who's given special thanks in the latest flagship product of the entire hobby is an abusive nutcase is important! But the conditions that allow such a thing to happen in the first place will not change through raising awareness alone.

So gently caress you right back, friend! :thumbsup:

Have fun putting the majority of the responsibility for that on other people!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Foo posted:

I'm on page 7. But no. gently caress you. For all bs, and there is a lot of it, you just told some one to not run games that they want to see. Fear is the mind killer. Fear of good games and expression is the hobby killer. You're too stuck in the world of the RPG industry to see that most people don't care. Play the games you, YOU want to play, with the people you want to play with. Go aggro on shitheads, YES. Don't go aggro on people that just want to play. gently caress off. You just told someone their fun, their game, was bad and wrong. Live the parody, rbh, because the other option is admitting you've stared too long into the abyss.

Yes, I explained and backed off already thank you.

Run whatever the hell you want! No one can stop people from running whatever the hell they want, and that's great. The whole "and just ignore all the bad poo poo" and "publish games that are good and this will fix everything" schticks don't do it for me anymore because neither one works; if you're publishing you are acutely, painfully aware of both the bad poo poo (because you're in competition with it) and of how your effort isn't really fixing anything except in the most painstakingly slow way possible where people issue anonymous threats on you and threaten your family.

So yeah I got frustrated, if people want an apology they can ask and get it, but I still won't accept platitudes because all they do is frustrate.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Foo posted:

I didn't intend to say people shouldn't speak out, not at all. What I was trying to get across is that for some people, grassy gnoll's advice is good advice; I'm one of them.

edit:

^^this^^

I already outlined what I do in this hobby. From my point of view, the best thing I can do is make as sure as I can that my contributions are positive. I didn't think that was worth a "gently caress you." If other members of my gaming community (i.e. this board) think there's other things I should do, then tell me, I guess. If there's something in my games that can be improved, tell me! I like to think I've gotten a lot better over the years w/r/t casual and ignorant hate(?), and I give a bunch of credit to this forum for doing it, actually. It's hard to go back and read one of my favorite games I ever played in because of some of the words being used in it.

I guess I feel like the issue here is that it seemed like someone who wants people to play better games and run better games and got told to gently caress off, that that's not good enough, or something? Some of you engage with Zak S et al because of the circles, professional and social that you work in. That's not "poking the poo poo" or whatever, that's a great reason to actively ostracize him and point out his failings and all. I don't. I'm poking the poo poo if I show up and start tearing him a new rear end in a top hat or whatever, right? That doesn't make sense to me. If I should be going aggro here, rally me to the cause; don't tell me to gently caress off for not already doing so. Make me want to help you. Also - I want to be very clear I'm not telling you how to run your own life or social campaign or whatever, I'm just telling you how you should interact with me if you want me to be an ally in whatever cause you choose to champion.

I like this place, and you guys (in general); there's a reason I don't participate in any other gaming forums.

Captain Foo there are a lot of things I've seen you post that are hilarious but you of all people making a "you have to win me over"/"your tone is too hostile" argument is probably the funniest of them all.

e: Like don't even take this as dismissive this is genuinely, deeply funny.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
When you punch someone over the internet, roll +groan

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

If you read the thread he totally believes that the British Empire was a force for good and civilization. Not to the extent of a Niall Ferguson or a Dinesh D'Souza, but still. Also poo poo-talking Chinua Achebe.

Flat out denying the post-colonialist literature movement is just about the whitest pseudo-intellectual thing you could possibly do besides waxing wroth about RPGs doing it wrong, I just didn't expect Pundit to do both.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Winson_Paine posted:

Warren Spector wrote Top Secret SI, the best thing TSR ever did.

Also Spelljammer and Toon.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
He's trying to negotiate a truce with the story-games forum by promising that the pundit might stop calling them "swine". Via twitter replies to Ironicus.

It's... something.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Let me guess, he's talking to you as if he was teaching a class by the Socratic method? Yeah, that's his way of controlling the conversation. I advise against the assumption of good faith. I could suggest some follow-up questions, but I think that's the Aviations talking.

Edit:

It never occurred to me to ask my fiancee to parley with my Internet nemeses on my behalf. Probably because I'm not an utter lunatic.

I'm not sure how he keeps a column at the Escapist like this. The rest of the site mustn't have noticed him yet.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Halloween Jack posted:

Wasn't the Escapist the site that let a couple guys do an interview with Mike Mearls wherein they just grilled him about why he had betrayed D&D 3rd edition? Yeah. It's like they've resigned themselves to not getting attention for anything other than Zero Punctuation.

Hell, better; The author of that article misused his journalistic position to pimp his Basic-ripoff (Adventurer Conqueror King, ACKS) by denigrating the competition in that article. So that was fun!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Why would you do that when Darker Dungeons exists? :getin:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gau posted:

This is absolutely, positively untrue. Sage LaTorra is, over the last two days, having an extended Facebook conversation with me as he tries to determine the truth about Zak Smith. From what I've determined, he was skeptical about the accusations but has gone through an eye-opening experience as he has seen Zak's behavior and people have come forward with their stories. He is incredibly concerned. He has gone out of his way to network and find people and get their stories to understand the truth. That's the opposite of ignorant and dismissive.

By the way, thanks for sending him my way RulebookHeavily.

Sorry to involve you, but he did ask and his intent was honest.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gau posted:

It was refreshing to have someone ask questions and honestly be interested in the answers as opposed to barging in the door and telling me what they think my problem is.

It reminds me of zombie fans who, when you press them enough, just want to be crusaders against whichever societal wrongs they believe the masses are perpetuating and shoot people without consequence. This is why zombie fiction appeals across ideological lines.

What was the name of the industry douchebag who tried to make a fantasy Israel and turned the Palestinians into ogres who fire rockets or something? I am probably remembering this wrong; after a while all of the poo poo just blends together.

Uri Kurlianchik. Runs a blog called "D&D Kids" that had adult subject matter because obviously a blog with that title isn't intended for kids, made his fantasy setting with an obvious Palestine pastiche whose people were okay to kill, got fired from WotC as a column writer because he talked about using the setting of Gor for children's games.

e: It just struck me as I read my post that I really am not making any of this up.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 16, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kai Tave posted:

Hey Rulebookheavily, run a Darker Dungeons PbP, thanks.

edit; actually anybody run a Darker Dungeons PbP, thanks.

Stay tuned!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

no, you see, all 190K registered users on this forums site are identical

That's more people than live in the capital city of my country and almost more than the total of all its surrounding districts.

For perspective.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ettin posted:

Now all we need is for Lowtax to unban Aatrek and say he's a Rudyard Kipling fan and Mike might hire goons.

:eyepop:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's the difference between being a bad designer and being a bad designer, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bigup DJ posted:

From your actions, basically. Moral crusaders do what they do because they're terrified of the idea that they're worse than other people.

No, that's moral cowards.

• Locked thread