Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bongo Bill posted:

Sooner or later in every system I play I try to make a Fist of the North Star character, even though it never works.

Weird coincidence, literally playing in a one-shot where my GM gave me Kenshiro as a pregen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I don't know if anyone cares, but I decided to try my hand at running a contest. It's based around D&D 4th edition as a whole "new edition out today, let's not forget the old" thing as well as a pun of the 4th of July. So, if you're interested, I would love to see your entry.

If there is something I did wrong rules-wise, don't be afraid to mention.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FewtureMD posted:

So I wore my Franky Forge ears for nothing? Lame

What animal is Franky Forge?

Covok
May 27, 2013

BrainParasite posted:

The Platonic Ideal of an Owlbear.
Something like this?

Covok
May 27, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Wonder why no one's made an official The Elder Scrolls tabletop RPG. You figure there'd be money in it for Bethesda to license it out to someone. Skyrim sold a poo poo ton, and I'm sure people would like to have an actual system for it rather than just homebrewing other systems.

Besthada makes video games, not trpgs. The skills, when it comes to math and mechanics, might not be transferable so they'd either license it or hire people. Then, at the end of the day, they'd make less than 1/40th of what they'd make if they put the funds into making a new elder scrolls game. It's just not a prudent investment.

Besides, you don't really need an official game to play the setting really. I feel emulating the game's mechanics into a tabletop game would probably bog things down since the video game is made with the assumption that the computer is handling the math.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ettin posted:

I've been trawling old RPGSite threads so I can put together my Big Dumb Email To Mearls, and I just woke up to find out they literally track which IPs view their forum so they can freak out about me reading their public posts.

I need an :allears: emoticon that just gets bigger and bigger. Also: Is it possible that they set up an alert for it, and if so, is there a way to make Chrome just read random forum threads in the background forever?

How did they know that IPs was you?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tollymain posted:

there's only one person in australia who plays elfgames duh

What about King_Com?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ettin posted:

I posted there once and I don't care about proxies :shrug:

That is like literally the reason anyone posts over there ever so :v:

Totally unrelated story:

A while ago Dice Hound (a dork we permabanned forever ago) tried to doxx me, except all he came up with was my real name and my old blog. My old blog is still publicly linked on 1d4chan and he got my name with an amazing technique called "remembered a couple times I posted it, because it's not actually secret". For some reason he assumed that he'd found some AMAZING SECRET anyway, there was a big fuss, and One Horse Town (wasn't permabanned) encouraged him and went through my blog looking for ammunition. I ignored it at the time because lol, but every so often some well-meaning poster sends me a message to alert me when someone threatens to use my not-actually-a-secret-name again. So far all that's happened is some idiot having a cry about me on some MRA website and Zak trying to harass me with it a few days ago.

Anyway the moral of the story is sometimes it's less relentlessly lovely and more relentlessly impotent.

Speaking of someone trying to doxx someone, I'm half convinced someone tried to doxx my ask.fm (yes, I'm a loser) after I spoke out against Zak S. and RPGpundit. I got a question that linked me to gnome7's google+ page attached with the question "who is this little spaghetti?" Fairly sure they thought I was him and was trying to scare me or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ettin posted:

A lot of us got that, that was probably another goon goofing around.

As usual I suspect FactsAreUseless.

Ah, I see. Since it came after I answered that question, I thought it was related.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Yeaaahhh, that was me.

Sorry about that covok, no malicious intent here. I just liked the text below gnome7's avatar and thought it was funny and figured that a lot of Goons would get the joke.

No worries. It's just me being an idiot and misinterpreting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Winson_Paine posted:

endlessly grouse.

Endless? drat, I could feed a lot people with that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What are the big days for traditional gaming? You know, like Free RPG day and International Tabletop Day? I'm treasurer for my college's board gaming club and I'm thinking of using the facebook page our members subscribed to to inform them of things like this.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it, and even then Tabletop Day is focused more on board games than RPGs.

I mean traditional gaming in general. Board Games, Card Games, RPGs, War Games, etcetera.

Covok
May 27, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

You could turn other things into events for your club, like a special night during Gencon for everyone not at Gencon.

S.J. posted:

This is a super good idea. Also doing one off adventure nights using PnP starter adventures when new games come out and stuff.

We technically focus more on board games than TRPGs, but this might be a really cool idea. I could propose it during the first meeting of the year. When is Gencon exactly?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darksaber posted:

August 14th-17th.

That's a bit before we begin meeting. But I suppose I could use the page to recruit for online games of board games and rpgs, perhaps during that time especially, to remind members we exist. Perhaps do that throughout next summer to keep our brand alive while we are not in operation...sorry, I'm in a business school so I say things with that jargon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Is this really valuable? I found it at a local store and price checked, and both Amazon and eBay went apeshit. Did I just make a find? Because that would be cool.

The pic isn't loading.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Hat seems like a cool dude from twitter, but who knows anymore.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

To connect Sage and X-Crawl, Dungeon World is a great system for X-Crawl because of how momentum builds up via 7-9s and the ease of making Signature Moves by just saying how you do them.

Funny you should say that. Last week, I started running an X-Crawl game using Dungeon World. That said, I never actually read X-Crawl or even the F&F review of it. It was sort-of a last minute, "poo poo, I might have a good premade adventure, but drat it's story milquetoast. Let's liven it up." So, it's pretty much just based on the most basic concept of Dungeon Crawling gameshow.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He did not, in fact, describe anything even remotely like Paranoia.

Have you read the rulebook for Paranoia? Hmm? Do you know what happens to players who read the Paranoia Rulebook? Hmm? I hope not or else you've been reading the Paranoia Rulebook, player.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I was born in the early nineties. I was 7 at the turn of the millennium.

Don't worry, though, with my horrible health, you'll all outlive me.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arivia posted:

That dragonmarks are stupid and anime.

Your point?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Libertad! posted:

I was watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert's Star Wars trivia battle, and then I saw the weirdest thing in the YouTube comments:

One of these things are not like the other, one of these things are reddit.

Edit: Who wants to bet the guy thinks that trilby is a fedora?

Covok
May 27, 2013

neongrey posted:

I think if you are at the point where you are distinguishing trilbies from fedoras, no, you are the demons.

Is it a crime to work at a hat shop over a summer a few years back?

Covok
May 27, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Of course we're not bitter. Look at my avatar. Look at how positive I am.

God drat is that positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gau posted:

I'd like to share something kinda awesome.

My conversations with Mearls yesterday and today have revealed that he's actually turning this around to be something awesome. He's said that he going to try to arrange a roundtable discussion with marginalized parts of the D&D community, with the purpose of discussing ways to be more open to them (he specifically mentioned art). What's impressed me is that he has been clear that this is going to be a visible, promoted thing - he recognizes that the transparency of such discussions is important.

Take that for what you will, but it has me feeling good on this Friday.

Two ways to take this:

1) He's sincere and is honest in his intent. He truly wishes to make amends.
2) He realizes people are pissed and not buying NEXT because of it and is hoping this will boost sales.

I am an optimist so I hope for the former, but, the fact he even did it in the first place, makes me think the later.

• Locked thread