Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

it would be ace if a top nation didnt win it, if one of the underdogs could do it that would be reet proper

I hope Colombia makes the final and I don't think you can even call them an underdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

JT Jag posted:

Until the Japanese and their giant robots catch up.

American robots are like 10x sweeter I mean have you seen Big Dog and Cheetah? All Japan has is creepy androids that fall over if you poke them, almost as if they were designed to be used...while...reclining...:stonk:

What I'm trying to say is that the Japanese will be using their robots off the field.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I hope Colombia makes the final and I don't think you can even call them an underdog

to be fair colombia have looked the best side so far. got an outstanding talent in rodriguez but they don't rely on him alone. I think they'll do well, I'm certain they'll get past brazil.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
So if Belgium beats Argentina we are gona hear that the US could of made it to the semis aren't we?

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Belgium will beat Argentina.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
France-Colombia semi is going to be delicious.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Enigma89 posted:

So if Belgium beats Argentina we are gona hear that the US could of made it to the semis aren't we?

Uhh I think we already know that the US could've won the whole thing if Jozy hadn't gotten hurt

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Enigma89 posted:

i still remember that when we lost to Germany in 2002, we would have had a beatable South Korea in the semi-finals

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

it doesnt matter what happens half the forum will always be more concerned with what americans are going to say/do

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

substitute posted:

revenge for '86 and an opportunity to expose poo poo midget lionel messi

i'm loving pumped

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
With us being "unlucky", I mean unlucky in the sense that we never got some cool deflection or mistake from Howard on all our chances. Obviously it's our own fault we didn't score more.

By the way, apparantly Howard made more saves in one match than any goal keeper in any world cup match in the last 50 years or so.

R. Mute posted:

i thought he did pretty well? he did some amazing runs, like that one where he just powered through the entire us defence

i thought the chadli sub made sense - he's a runner and he could close down one of those flanks... but then he stays up front while our goal's under siege? really weird, that.

Mirallas being the worst player is damning with faint praise since everybody else was playing extremely well. He was okay.

As I said in the other thread:
- things I like about Mirallas: takes every opportunity he can to shoot at the goal (this sometimes includes running at the goal)
- things I don't like about Mirallas: he's not very good at shooting at the goal

So he created a lot of chances for himself but if you don't finish them it doesn't matter and his build up play is okay but worse than our other players in that position.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

ESPN just gave Ruud van Nistelrooy a birthday cake.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

Mirallas being the worst player is damning with faint praise since everybody else was playing extremely well. He was okay.

As I said in the other thread:
- things I like about Mirallas: takes every opportunity he can to shoot at the goal (this sometimes includes running at the goal)
- things I don't like about Mirallas: he's not very good at shooting at the goal

So he created a lot of chances for himself but if you don't finish them it doesn't matter and his build up play is okay but worse than our other players in that position.
yeah, true enough. his few shots on goal were downright bad. i don't get why he's played as a striker sometimes. i personally like him a lot as a winger, but he just breaks down in front of goal. mertens is certainly better in that regard, as he's great on the wing and can score at will.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

ESPN just gave Ruud van Nistelrooy a birthday cake.

Well they knew he was coming...

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

i dont want to live anymore

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

cheato posted:

Apparently the assistant was waving Wondo offsides during his near-goal at the end of regulation? Would've been quite interesting had he gotten a better touch on it.
The assistant was signaling for a goal kick - Wondo was no where near offside, he just MLS'ed the finish

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fag Boy Jim posted:

i still remember that when we lost to Germany in 2002, we would have had a beatable South Korea in the semi-finals

That loving game. I may be misremembering, but the US owned them all over the field for most of the match but gave up a counter attack goal.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

PostNouveau posted:

That loving game. I may be misremembering, but the US owned them all over the field for most of the match but gave up a counter attack goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQvQLUj6No

e:
lol I forgot Donovan had hair back then.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, so the exact outcome US fans were hoping for from this match?

Enigma89 posted:

e:

Man, Germany always has badass goalies

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

dkj posted:

it doesnt matter what happens half the forum will always be more concerned with what americans are going to say/do

yeah the american half

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
i'm pretty bummed guys, pretty sad that the US was eliminated

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Enigma89 posted:

anything can happen but the usa can NOT make it to the semis at this point in my opinion

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Finally back, great game just excitement-wise even though the US was basically scrambling defensively for 80% of the game. Last half of extra time was a weird mix of euphoria and thinking the tourney was over. A lot of players could have played better but Howard was huge and mostly it was just players failing on instincts/ability, not making horrible mental mistakes. Wish the US would have stolen it but it would have been a total theft. Green's goal was a super difficult technique but on replay it also looked pretty unintentional. Wish Klinsmann would have started Beckerman over Cameron and wish Johnson wouldn't have gotten injured but I can't say with any confidence that those were huge changes.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Enigma89 posted:

e:

arena is the least inspiring coach i have ever seen holy gently caress

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

fat greasy puto posted:

anything can happen but the usa can NOT make it to the semis at this point in my opinion

Hmmmm

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

pangstrom posted:

Finally back, great game just excitement-wise even though the US was basically scrambling defensively for 80% of the game. Last half of extra time was a weird mix of euphoria and thinking the tourney was over. A lot of players could have played better but Howard was huge and mostly it was just players failing on instincts/ability, not making horrible mental mistakes. Wish the US would have stolen it but it would have been a total theft. Green's goal was a super difficult technique but on replay it also looked pretty unintentional. Wish Klinsmann would have started Beckerman over Cameron and wish Johnson wouldn't have gotten injured but I can't say with any confidence that those were huge changes.

Not playing Beckerman is one of the few game management mistakes Klinnsman made in the Cup IMO. I'm certainly a lot higher on him then I was going in. And I still think Donovan deserved a spot on the roster.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Not a fun loss. The worst/best part about football is how much it hurts to lose.

I now hope the Germans do well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bobo the Red posted:

Oh, so the exact outcome US fans were hoping for from this match?

Haha, yeah precisely. The universe owes us one.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

stickyfngrdboy posted:

belgium are garbage, they got a poo poo group and scraped out of it, they'll get bummed heavily by argentina

have people not been watching argentina?

utterly mediocre

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, some idiots are already calling for a Brazil/Argentina final for some reason, despite neither team being particularly impressive

if it actually is a Brazil/Argentina final, football will be dead.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Fag Boy Jim posted:

yeah, some idiots are already calling for a Brazil/Argentina final for some reason, despite neither team being particularly impressive

if it actually is a Brazil/Argentina final, football will be dead.

Ya the final is going to be Netherlands and Colombia wherein Netherlands will go to 0-6 in the finals.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Costa Rica-Colombia would be a fun final.

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Enigma89 posted:

e:

gently caress, I drank this memory away. USMNT 2002 had so much potential.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That loving handball. I'd totally forgotten about it.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

substitute posted:

Someone itt has some inside info on Messi getting run over by a truck tomorrow.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

newreply.php posted:

Someone itt has some inside info on Messi getting run over by a truck tomorrow.

Messi has ran out of Erythropoietin and the shipment got stopped by Brazil customs and he won't be able to get any in time for the Belgium game.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

substitute posted:

gently caress, I drank this memory away. USMNT 2002 had so much potential.

I think I was in middle school when this tournament was going on. The only thing I remember is Klose hitting the loving post. But that hand ball was huge :stare:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Despite us losing I still love this world cup a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I didn't see the Argentina match today. Did they actually play well and/or deserve to win?

• Locked thread