Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Zotix posted:

Is it true that Intelligence jobs are more likely to show up at the beginning of the month? That's what the recruiting supervisor told me, and I'm inclined to believe him on that point. Also, I scored a 96 on the ASVAB last month, if CTN is available I should see it without any worries right? If I'm not seeing CTN could it be available and they are holding it from me?
You don't really "see" the available rates. They will sit you down at one of the processing dudes's desk inside MEPS and he will hand you 2 (or 3 if you're lucky) sheets with a rate and brief generalized description of the rate on it and say this is what he has available, and give you like 5 minutes to read them over and make a decision with him sitting right there in front of you. Think high-pressure sales tactics.

Don't believe that poo poo.

and for god's sake go noble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

Don't believe that poo poo.

and for god's sake go noble

Should I just say CTN, CTN, CTN. And if he says no, then go home?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Zotix posted:

Should I just go home?
Yes.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Zotix posted:

Should I just say CTN, CTN, CTN. And if he says no, then go home?

Not sure if it's the same on the enlisted side as it can be on the officer side, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get you to take a hard fill rating first. Granted a rating choice is different than a tour.

Also, as suggested in a previous response, I'd recommend trying for OCS esp with a degree. It used to be in Newport when I went through, though last I checked (which was a while ago) it's in Pensacola these days. There is a cripie designator for officers though by definition you'll be doing some management going that route. I'm a former NUPOC (nuclear propulsion officer candiate) myself.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zarc posted:

Not sure if it's the same on the enlisted side as it can be on the officer side, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try and get you to take a hard fill rating first. Granted a rating choice is different than a tour.

I'm sorry, what exactly does hard fill rating mean?

I'm likely going to talk to an officer recruiter sometime this week, but likely I'll go to MEPS and do the thing and see if CTN is available. If it's not, I'll try again the next month. I really hope it's available.

Would October 1st be more likely to see what I want, as that's the beginning of the fiscal year? Or would that not matter much?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zotix posted:

I'm likely going to talk to an officer recruiter sometime this week, but likely I'll go to MEPS and do the thing and see if CTN is available. If it's not, I'll try again the next month. I really hope it's available.

Would October 1st be more likely to see what I want, as that's the beginning of the fiscal year? Or would that not matter much?

It doesn't matter, CTN is wide open and starved for warm bodies, so if you qualify for it, you should be able to get it no matter the time of month.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Just go DILDO and teach baby nukes about shapes and colors.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah but always need nukes and SEALs though

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Zotix posted:

Check your PMs buddy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Zarc posted:

Also, as suggested in a previous response, I'd recommend trying for OCS esp with a degree. It used to be in Newport when I went through, though last I checked (which was a while ago) it's in Pensacola these days. There is a cripie designator for officers though by definition you'll be doing some management going that route. I'm a former NUPOC (nuclear propulsion officer candiate) myself.

OCS is not in Pensacola any more, it's in Newport.

Zotix posted:

Stop waffling on the officer recruiter. It costs you nothing but a bit of time to got talk to one. Do not go to MEPS until you've done so. Then you can make a more informed decision. dialhforhero is a cool bro that used to be in the Navy and he enlisted with a degree. He just got out and doesn't post so much here any more but I'm pretty sure he regretted the fact that he enlisted with a bachelor's degree.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 26, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Zotix posted:

Detailers at MEPS will try to flimflam you so they can fill holes. If you just keep saying 'nope' eventually you should get what you want. They really have no reason to ever deny you the rate (job) you want with a 97 ASVAB and can put you into DEP (delayed entry program) for up to 1 full year to make sure a job slot gets filled. So saying 'x is not available' is a load of total bullshit.

When I went in I waited 9 or 10 months in DEP.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I heard someone here wanted to enlist with a degree. Just wanna say: Go for it.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

gleep gloop posted:

I heard someone here wanted to enlist with a degree. Just wanna say: Go for it.

This is excellent advice that I second. Don't listen to the people who have actually been in the military, ever, and always trust what the recruiter tells you. The people here don't know what they're talking about at all. Good luck!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My favorite people are the ones that show up hating the Navy because they have a degree and the recruiter lied to them about getting a package at boot camp and now they're stuck working on jets when they could be a nurse or w/e. Pure magic. Please do enlist that way I can go to sleep at night counting down my 584 days left in laughter.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Alright, time for me to get destroyed by the thread. Enlist with a degree if you can get CTN. The quality of life as enlisted and officer in the CTN community in some places is exactly the same (officers get more money, but there's a caveat to this). If you have a bachelors degree already there are programs you can do as a CTN that will basically get you a free masters degree. As an officer you'll have a longer commitment in the military, and you're not guaranteed the same opportunity like you are as an enlisted CTN. This means an enlisted can get out faster, and make more money than the officer in the long run.

There are no guarantees tho, you might end up at NCDOC for 5 years until you put in for an early out using a bullet to your head.

Also, I enlisted with a degree at age 29. I did talk to an officer recruiter first who politely told me I was wasting my time trying to go officer. He wasn't wrong, degrees grow on trees these days, and having a bachelors is like having a high school diploma.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zotix posted:

How easy is it to switch to officer at that point. I think it's the Seaman to Admiral program?

Just to clarify this point: Seaman-to-Admiral is a program to get your degree while in the Navy. It's extremely competitive, but if you already have your bachelor's it's not for you. You would just apply to OCS the same as you would from civilian life, just with a lot more bullshit and hurdles to get through.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
So, as eval season is in the coming months for me, I've realized that on the scale of "getting a good eval" and "maintaining my dignity" that I will be getting a P this year. Better start blowing off all of my daily duties and responsibilities and start selling pulled pork sandwiches outside the CMC's office...

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
We had a canned food drive where every item you brought in counted as 1 volunteer hour. Literally buy your way to promotion.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

We had a canned food drive where every item you brought in counted as 1 volunteer hour. Literally buy your way to promotion.

This is the greatest thing ever

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sir Lucius posted:

Bring in a ton of things. Then submit for the volunteer ribbon.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

This is the greatest thing ever

Ole girl shows up with a pallet of pork 'n beans...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't know anyone under 25 who drinks coffee. We have one kids who drinks 3 giant cans of monster every night. I keep telling him he's going to have early kidney failure, but I think diabetes might be possible too.

I didn't drink coffee before I joined the Navy, fast-forward almost 6 years later and I drink about a pot a day of straight, black, nasty-rear end tar. Never hosed with energy drinks though, for some reason they mess up my stomach.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah but EMO was a former chief and they do weird poo poo down in the mess to their coffee like never washing cups/pots and putting salt in the grounds.

Okay, I get the "no cup washing". That's a thing in a lot of places...whatever. But salt in the grounds? What the gently caress?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 26, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

buttplug posted:

Okay, I get the "no cup washing". That's a thing in a lot of places...whatever. But salt in the grounds? What the gently caress?
A pinch of salt in coffee is actually a legitimate thing that reduces acidity and bitterness of it. Useful when dealing with the sort of coffee you generally find in the Navy.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Also, I enlisted with a degree at age 29. I did talk to an officer recruiter first who politely told me I was wasting my time trying to go officer. He wasn't wrong, degrees grow on trees these days, and having a bachelors is like having a high school diploma.

He *was* wrong and so are you. Yes, the job market is flooded with bachelors degree, but so the gently caress what? The military is *always* hard up for people in STEM fields or otherwise technical, infosys-type degrees. The 1820 community (IP) has been under-strength since I joined the Navy, and continues to have one of the best promotion rates in the entire O Navy. Can't speak for IW specifically, but I know the IDC as a whole is always hard-up for new people.

If an officer recruiter told you that you were "wasting your time" trying to go officer, then he was a loving lovely recruiter. I have known dudes with BA's in English Lit. with like a lame-rear end 3.0 GPA who have come into the Navy are now flying F-18s.

Also, officer commitment is *not* longer than enlisted if you commission through OCS (unlike the Academy): 4 years active, 4 years reserve = 8 years total.

You want to do CTN-type stuff, but have a bachelor's degree? Go to an officer recruiter and ask about IW (Information Warfare) or IP (Information Professional). IW is traditionally crypto-type stuff, IP is more of a general communications officer-type job, but it is a wide open designator (career field), always hard up for people, and there are a LOT of trails to be blazed. There are simply not enough qualified people in the cool-guy networking fields in the Navy right now, and they're hard up for people.

Don't let recruiters blow smoke up your rear end, listen to the people in this thread who collectively have decades worth of military experience. We have absolutely no reason to steer you wrong, unlike recruiters.

I literally just sat through a CYBERCOM strength brief yesterday where they practically begged for qualified/interested people to come help them figure their poo poo out and teach others "how to cyber" (stupid, stupid buzzword).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 26, 2014

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
future college educated janitor itt

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

It doesn't matter, CTN is wide open and starved for warm bodies

And yet the navy won't let me cross rate over to it. Instead they'd rather just straight up lose me. I suppose it's better that way.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

PneumonicBook posted:

And yet the navy won't let me cross rate over to it. Instead they'd rather just straight up lose me. I suppose it's better that way.

We seem to excel at losing motivated, skilled people. It's almost a feature of our personnel system.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

He *was* wrong and so are you. Yes, the job market is flooded with bachelors degree, but so the gently caress what? The military is *always* hard up for people in STEM fields or otherwise technical, infosys-type degrees. The 1820 community (IP) has been under-strength since I joined the Navy, and continues to have one of the best promotion rates in the entire O Navy. Can't speak for IW specifically, but I know the IDC as a whole is always hard-up for new people.

If an officer recruiter told you that you were "wasting your time" trying to go officer, then he was a loving lovely recruiter. I have known dudes with BA's in English Lit. with like a lame-rear end 3.0 GPA who have come into the Navy are now flying F-18s.

Also, officer commitment is *not* longer than enlisted if you commission through OCS (unlike the Academy): 4 years active, 4 years reserve = 8 years total.
I'll admit I really don't know that much about the officer side of getting in. But I drove 2 hours to go see an officer recruiter, took the ASTB with him talking poo poo in the other room the entire time about how anyone thinks they can just walk in and be an officer, and afterwards was told there really wasn't that good of a chance of me making it past a board. I didn't have a STEM, I had a lovely liberal arts degree. So that never happened.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A reminder that I had to deal with not one, but two butterbar nukes with USNA English degrees

E: One of which had an obvious and crippling stuttering problem. These guys made nuke officer

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 26, 2014

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Geizkragen posted:

We seem to excel at losing motivated, skilled people. It's almost a feature of our personnel system.

http://goo.gl/kmfJ1r

Good book about this very subject.

Snowdens Secret posted:

A reminder that I had to deal with not one, but two butterbar nukes with USNA English degrees

E: One of which had an obvious and crippling stuttering problem. These guys made nuke officer

To get nuke out of the Academy you have to have really excellent grades in your technical classes. You have to take a fair amount of math and engineering even as an English major. And you still have to go through the interview up in DC.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

To get nuke out of the Academy you have to have really excellent grades in your technical classes. You have to take a fair amount of math and engineering even as an English major. And you still have to go through the interview up in DC.

I know how the system theoretically works, but in this case it gave us a guy who had such difficulties passing his BEQ quals he wrote a Navy-shaming book about it, and an EOOW who quite literally choked uncontrollably if running drills with an O-4+ in maneuvering (I can only imagine what he was like on the conn)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

I know how the system theoretically works, but in this case it gave us a guy who had such difficulties passing his BEQ quals he wrote a Navy-shaming book about it, and an EOOW who quite literally choked uncontrollably if running drills with an O-4+ in maneuvering (I can only imagine what he was like on the conn)

I'm just trying to figure if you think it's something specific to the Academy.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

Well, there's the book smart part of it then there's the practical application and not everybody who's smart enough does well on the application as you've pointed out.

From what I recall when I went through, the only hard and fast requirement was a year of Calc based physics and good grades. If coming in under the NUPOC and not academy, there are some other restrictions on when you can sign up.

No idea how it is now, but when I was getting out, the Navy had a horrible retention rate for submarine JO's. Where I was based, only 2 or 3 out of 80 total or so were staying in.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I'm just trying to figure if you think it's something specific to the Academy.

That's not the tack of conversation I was taking, but to be honest I'm not sure what procedures / options the service academies have if an already enrolled student proves to be academically acceptable but fairly obviously isn't cut out to be a leader of men. At the least the stutterer really wasn't cut out for, far as I can tell, anything unrestricted line.

This was also '04 timeframe so you're talking guys who got into the Academy pre-9/11 and possibly into the nuke side pre-Iraq War, I'm not sure how that affected things.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

PneumonicBook posted:

Lol what is the reason? We have goddamn chiefs crossrating.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Most likely in a CREO 1 rating. CREO 1 to CREO 1 transfers do not happen, if your rate is undermanned you sure as gently caress are not going to be let out of it to go to another rating. (I am in this boat)

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'm an Aegis FC, that's the reason.
Not that they would let a conventional FC cross rate either though, my CIWS tech buddy was also denied and is also getting out because of it.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 27, 2014

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Today I just got asked by my SRChief why I wasn't on the roster with my drilling unit and what was going on. So we called the NOSC and sure enough, they still have me on the wrong UIC. The thing is though, My SRChief was the one who did all this paperwork for me without telling anyone (including me) and just sorta forgot about it. Luckily enough The SRChief at the other unit just presumed that I was doing Navy poo poo still and has me as AA's since MAY, and fixed it all today and removed AA's and put me on as rescheduled. So Now I'm waiting on the back-pay. So cool beans.

Tuckleberry
Aug 30, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's not the tack of conversation I was taking, but to be honest I'm not sure what procedures / options the service academies have if an already enrolled student proves to be academically acceptable but fairly obviously isn't cut out to be a leader of men. At the least the stutterer really wasn't cut out for, far as I can tell, anything unrestricted line.

This was also '04 timeframe so you're talking guys who got into the Academy pre-9/11 and possibly into the nuke side pre-Iraq War, I'm not sure how that affected things.

Please tell me this stutterer is a CRA at a prototype.

I feel bad for the guy but the first time I talked to him on the 2JV I thought he was loving with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So I am at the point where I am sitting down to write essays and such for an MBA application package and I'm completely loving lost since I have no idea where to begin on these essay questions about the field that I'm looking to get into (Healthcare Administration/Management).

So naturally I google things in order to start getting a frame of reference for problems within the industry when I stumble upon something. I can translate an MBA into the Medical Corps as a Healthcare Administration Officer or the VA in a similar manner. I don't even have to follow through on it but at least now I have somewhat of an idea on how I'd approach an essay.

Since we have a lot of HM's in here, is there anyone that has interacted with any of these admin types?

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 28, 2014

• Locked thread