Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

nacirema posted:

Got my orders today for surgical tech. C school. So not please with it, I just want to go to some hospital and go to school.

Huh, first time I have ever seen anybody bitch about getting a C-school, figures it would be a corpsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I completely quit both cigarettes and chewing tobacco because of an e-cig. :colbert:

same, but now I smoke lots of weed!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

If I get CTN, and I do well my first 5-6 years. Keep a great record, etc. How easy is it to switch to officer at that point. I think it's the Seaman to Admiral program? Officer is interesting, but when I say time is limited. I don't mean on the Navy's side. I mean for myself. My living situation may only hold out for another 6-8 months at best, and by that point I'm hoping to be in basic training.

You might be in bootcamp in 6 to 8 months, but don't be surprised if you aren't. I would also highly recommend looking up an office recruiter and just talking to them about your OCS chances. They more than likely aren't going to blow as much smoke up your rear end as an enlisted recruiter.

As far as going officer after you are enlisted, it can be done but it is tough. I know tons of dudes who had or finished bachelors while they were enlisted, and I know like 5 that went through commissioning programs. They are competitive, and depending on your command, they may or may not know how to help you apply, and in some circumstances, they will flat out discourage you or create roadblocks to stop it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I deal with those types on occasion in civilian hospitals, and it's pretty similar. The one major exception is that doctor retention/recruitment is a huge deal that everybody in the admin side of the house gets to deal with daily. It's not as bad at smaller hospitals, but when you start getting into trauma rated and major orthopedic hospitals the egos get out of control.

The plus side, at least from what I can tell, is that if you can avoid getting fire, it seems like it is pretty easy to move up the ladder. One particular hospital I know of has a 40 year old CEO and a 35 year old CFO.

Also, I did some work for a guy that did business management stuff for a lot of small surgery centers as a contractor. He would show up once or twice a week and tell them how to spend their money, he didn't seem like he had a clue, but they paid him enough to fly first class from TX to CO whenever they needed him on site.

If sitting in a hospital all day makes you want to blow your brains out most any vendor would be happy to hire you, they love guys who know how to sit in a boardroom and do doctor speak without dropping F bombs every two seconds.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
We were sitting in Dahlgren for a dumb c-school graduation and the IC3 in charge of the projector played the first 10 mins of the Forestall video for an auditorium full of parents and grandparents. Definitely one of the most WTF moments I remember from the navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654693&perpage=40

• Locked thread