Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

Saw what could be true sadness and disappointment from a third class. Since they're closing down portions of the hospital, emergency care services are going out to the town 10 minutes away. Poor sap shows up asking if there's a doctor. I tell him no and he looks around, bewildered, and says "This is a hospital isn't it?" "Actually, no, we are no longer a hospital." He stared at me like a zombie, as I wrote down the number to a nursing hotline and directions to the hospital one town over and he just says "I re-enlisted for this poo poo?"

Made my night.

Oh noes he had to drive to a hospital 10 minutes away? Say it ain't so! The dependa waiting in his car outside might have to wait *that* much longer for her lipitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
81% for 1820 :effortless:

Octopode posted:

As an IP getting ready for my in-zone look at just over 7 YCS, can confirm. RL life best life.

How is 7yrs YCS your in-zone look not below-zone? Don't we typically put on at like 9yrs 1mos average? Haven't looked at the community brief in a while.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 22, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes, but not always. The XO is often an O-5 as well, and you don't call it for the XO. Usually it's O-6 and up.

You always call it for the CO - he's the commanding officer. In the Army, they'll even call it for O-3/4s if they're commanding officers (company commanders). And you *always* call it for O-6 and above.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

The only exception I know of is at certain staff commands. At USFF O6's are pretty much universally gotten the gently caress out of the way for, but I've never seen attention called for one. That's usually reserved the admirals (and holy gently caress is there a lot of them).

Lots of larger commands (specifically staff commands or COCOM-level) are like this. When you're talking 4-star level poo poo, it rains O-6s and O-7s (a 4-star rates an O-5 flag aide...sometimes even an O-6 depending)... On a CRUDES/amphib? Not so much, so of course it's going to scale depending on where you're at.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Octopode posted:

I was fairly close to the top of the below-zoner lineal numbers for this year's look, and I'm only sitting at 6.5 or so right now. I'm in a weird place in my year group due to commissioning in December, but being placed in the next YG, which makes my zone timing a bit off compared to most. But, even if I'm selected at 7 YCS, I wouldn't pin it on until sometime around 8-8.75YCS (October of next year to September of '16), probably closer to the latter end, so it still ends up pretty close

I wonder if I'm going to be in a similar situation? I commissioned out of OCS in Nov '09, but I am literally the senior-most IP in YG '10 because I commissioned 2 weeks after the new fiscal year...

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I was on a small deck the only O-6s who bothered to show up were VIPs and I assume that's normal on shooters too?

CO/XO on carriers is an O-6, generally the CAG is an O-6 as well. AFAIK CHENG/medical officer usually is too, I'm sure there are some other floaters.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yes, I know. I was on one. I was talking about other ships.

Then why the stupid question?

Stultus Maximus posted:

When I was on a small deck the only O-6s who bothered to show up were VIPs and I assume that's normal on shooters too?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Shooters are cruisers, destroyers, and frigates. Small deck is LPD/LSD.

I have literally never heard that. The SWO community always refers to it as CRUDES (cruisers/destroyers) or amphibs/big decks. :gooncamp:

edit: I thought you meant shooters as in carriers shooting [off] jets.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I didn't realize those vaporizer cigarettes were such a big thing until I moved back to the States and saw people walking around with them on loving lanyards around their necks like a bunch of idiots. I rank them right up there with pogs, duckface, and the word "selfie".

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't know anyone under 25 who drinks coffee. We have one kids who drinks 3 giant cans of monster every night. I keep telling him he's going to have early kidney failure, but I think diabetes might be possible too.

I didn't drink coffee before I joined the Navy, fast-forward almost 6 years later and I drink about a pot a day of straight, black, nasty-rear end tar. Never hosed with energy drinks though, for some reason they mess up my stomach.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah but EMO was a former chief and they do weird poo poo down in the mess to their coffee like never washing cups/pots and putting salt in the grounds.

Okay, I get the "no cup washing". That's a thing in a lot of places...whatever. But salt in the grounds? What the gently caress?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

Also, I enlisted with a degree at age 29. I did talk to an officer recruiter first who politely told me I was wasting my time trying to go officer. He wasn't wrong, degrees grow on trees these days, and having a bachelors is like having a high school diploma.

He *was* wrong and so are you. Yes, the job market is flooded with bachelors degree, but so the gently caress what? The military is *always* hard up for people in STEM fields or otherwise technical, infosys-type degrees. The 1820 community (IP) has been under-strength since I joined the Navy, and continues to have one of the best promotion rates in the entire O Navy. Can't speak for IW specifically, but I know the IDC as a whole is always hard-up for new people.

If an officer recruiter told you that you were "wasting your time" trying to go officer, then he was a loving lovely recruiter. I have known dudes with BA's in English Lit. with like a lame-rear end 3.0 GPA who have come into the Navy are now flying F-18s.

Also, officer commitment is *not* longer than enlisted if you commission through OCS (unlike the Academy): 4 years active, 4 years reserve = 8 years total.

You want to do CTN-type stuff, but have a bachelor's degree? Go to an officer recruiter and ask about IW (Information Warfare) or IP (Information Professional). IW is traditionally crypto-type stuff, IP is more of a general communications officer-type job, but it is a wide open designator (career field), always hard up for people, and there are a LOT of trails to be blazed. There are simply not enough qualified people in the cool-guy networking fields in the Navy right now, and they're hard up for people.

Don't let recruiters blow smoke up your rear end, listen to the people in this thread who collectively have decades worth of military experience. We have absolutely no reason to steer you wrong, unlike recruiters.

I literally just sat through a CYBERCOM strength brief yesterday where they practically begged for qualified/interested people to come help them figure their poo poo out and teach others "how to cyber" (stupid, stupid buzzword).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread