Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Doesn't do squat when you have no idea where the bastard ended up

That rarely happens in my experience, usually you have an idea where it went and a little digging around with magnet usually turns it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Since getting into American cars, I've grown from my original opinion that it's always a 10mm socket. Sometimes I lose the 7/16 socket now.

Quite literally :v:

We'll have to get a picture of you being dwarfed by the engine bay when we pull the poly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

We'll have to get a picture of you being dwarfed by the engine bay when we pull the poly.

Maybe that's how we should do the master cylinder install. :v:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Maybe that's how we should do the master cylinder install. :v:

Don't even joke about that. It's going to be hard enough getting that brake line along the firewall back in place, let alone the mc.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Don't get me wrong, she appreciates the money and wants a new car. But she feels lime there's a limit to what we should take. I mean, she's not wrong. I don't want my mother to feel like we took advantage either.

I have found four Fiesta's in the area that meet the criteria, 3 of which fall under the $12k. The fourth one is the one she drive and is $12500. We're gonna check the others out Thursday morning and I'm gonna run some carfaxes.

I got my 08 Fit with ~69k miles on it for just under $10k a bit over a year ago. Based on your price range and Fiesta comment I think it would be worth looking for one if you aren't already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

swing axle suspension parts, actually

Side-saddle gas tanks, with complimentary pyrotechnics.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So I'm going to attempt to sell the wheels off my Nova at an upcoming car show. 15x8 steelies with 235/60 tires. What should I be asking for them that won't make people laugh and walk away?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4590549436.html

My buddy and i are picking this up on sunday as his first car ever

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 30, 2014

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Whoa, a bubblegum interior on an orange car.

Bold.
Fresh.
Weird.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Is that a reasonable asking price? Seems to be double what he should pay.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Is that a reasonable asking price? Seems to be double what he should pay.

Find me a better one for cheaper within a few hours drive then :q:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm sure anyone here could find you a mountain of cars that would be a better starter than that for the same money or less. I have no idea what the prices of those things are like but that whole "wellllll you see we WANTED 5 thousand for it.." line is a huge CL red flag that even the "lowered" price is too high. I was just looking for some feedback on how realistic $3k is as an asking price.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Better start? Sure. But he doesnt want a Corolla. And i keep tabs on Gremlins and Pacers in my monthly Biturbo searches and anything tha pops up under 2k is usually a basket case and average solid runners are usually 2500 to 3. I did see one non running missing parts for 900 once though.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

13 INCH DICK posted:

Better start? Sure. But he doesnt want a Corolla. And i keep tabs on Gremlins and Pacers in my monthly Biturbo searches and anything tha pops up under 2k is usually a basket case and average solid runners are usually 2500 to 3. I did see one non running missing parts for 900 once though.

From my 10 second searchtempest search it looks like that's not priced too far above some shitpile examples. I guess to each his own. Strange choice for a first car but I guess you could do far worse.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I may have influenced the decision slightly, he was cross shopping old nissan hardbodies and rangers and toyota pickups and i spent ten seconds on craigslist and sent him that link and he called the guy on the spot :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
A while back I was contacted by an automotive journalist (blogger?) about shooting my 250c and doing a shot write-up about it. Last Sunday we did a quick early morning photoshoot. Here it is: http://voyagershift.com/around-the-block-1970-mercedes-benz-w114-250-c/

It was a pretty fun morning, talking cars and driving them about. We discussed doing a "strange bedfellows" type story with the 250C and ITR together, and even shot a few pictures of them together, but I guess he decided not to go that way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I could do without the desaturated look on the photos, but your car (hell, your collection) is awesome as all hell.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

trouser chili posted:

A while back I was contacted by an automotive journalist (blogger?) about shooting my 250c and doing a shot write-up about it. Last Sunday we did a quick early morning photoshoot. Here it is: http://voyagershift.com/around-the-block-1970-mercedes-benz-w114-250-c/

It was a pretty fun morning, talking cars and driving them about. We discussed doing a "strange bedfellows" type story with the 250C and ITR together, and even shot a few pictures of them together, but I guess he decided not to go that way.

"Today, the 250 C would be analogous to the E350 Coupe, which run about $53,000. It’s a far more organic shape that you’d find in the 70′s, but the correlation is still present, most notably the pillar-less design of the hardtop."

Tell him to proofread instead of mucking with the sliders in Photoshop. :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Eh, I'm not one to tell others how to do things I can't do worth a drat myself. I had a fun weekend and I think it's cool that someone else saw something in one of my cars worth writing about.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Eh, I'm not one to tell others how to do things I can't do worth a drat myself. I had a fun weekend and I think it's cool that someone else saw something in one of my cars worth writing about.

No doubt, sounds like a fun time, I was just busting his nuts.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

"Today, the 250 C would be analogous to the E350 Coupe, which run about $53,000. It’s a far more organic shape that you’d find in the 70′s, but the correlation is still present, most notably the pillar-less design of the hardtop."

Tell him to proofread instead of mucking with the sliders in Photoshop. :v:

"It was ordered with red paint, black exterior, AM/FM radio (a Becker Europa unit), hand crank windows,..." :v:

Pretty drat cool though.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"It was ordered with red paint, black exterior, AM/FM radio (a Becker Europa unit), hand crank windows,..." :v:

Pretty drat cool though.

I actually have the original customer order form with the paperwork with the car, this car was built to suit. What makes it particularly unusual is that it's very much a base model, but with the Becker Europa Stereo radio (stock was the plain Becker Europa, a mono radio) and air conditioning. Typically you'd only see those features in the higher spec 280C. To see them combined with manual transmission and crank windows is unusual. Also typical of the day, most of these cars were weirdo colors, pale shades of greens and yellows are often seen and a denim blue and brown were also popular. Interior colors were typically shades of cream or a offensively permeating blue (to go with the denim blue exterior) that was horrific. To see a red on black is a bit uncommon, and I think the combo has stood the test of time better than most the others seen. When you put that all together I think you find you have a car that feels very normal today, but strangely wasn't when it was built.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

trouser chili posted:

Sperging aside, its a pretty neat blog entry. Ever since you ditched that god awful mini van, you have had some bad rear end rides.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Oh yeah, I finally got the ITR into the body shop this morning for an estimate. Just under $1000 for a new bumper cover and paint. Also they asked if I wanted a rental, I guess I do. Car goes in on the 14th of August.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Galler posted:

I got my 08 Fit with ~69k miles on it for just under $10k a bit over a year ago. Based on your price range and Fiesta comment I think it would be worth looking for one if you aren't already.

There's all of three Fits for sale in the area. There was a super cheap one with super low miles and they jacked the price up this week so that one is not an option.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Well, I went swimming and now my left ear hears a full step flat from my right and I AM LOSING MY loving MIND. Every single thing I try to play sounds hosed. I am pretty sure I'm actually going crazy.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SlimManFat posted:

Well, I went swimming and now my left ear hears a full step flat from my right and I AM LOSING MY loving MIND. Every single thing I try to play sounds hosed. I am pretty sure I'm actually going crazy.

tilt your head to the left a while and/or shake it around

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. That's all those "swimmer's ear" drops are.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Or go full AI and use carb cleaner.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I thought they were just isopropyl alcohol, to dilute the water so less is left when the extra pours out of your ear and the alcohol evaporates?

(so acetone would work, but really, I would not suggest it. ever. at all. ow.)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Oh yeah, I finally got the ITR into the body shop this morning for an estimate. Just under $1000 for a new bumper cover and paint. Also they asked if I wanted a rental, I guess I do. Car goes in on the 14th of August.

Cripes, I missed something... what happened to the ITR?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

I actually have the original customer order form with the paperwork with the car, this car was built to suit. What makes it particularly unusual is that it's very much a base model, but with the Becker Europa Stereo radio (stock was the plain Becker Europa, a mono radio) and air conditioning. Typically you'd only see those features in the higher spec 280C. To see them combined with manual transmission and crank windows is unusual. Also typical of the day, most of these cars were weirdo colors, pale shades of greens and yellows are often seen and a denim blue and brown were also popular. Interior colors were typically shades of cream or a offensively permeating blue (to go with the denim blue exterior) that was horrific. To see a red on black is a bit uncommon, and I think the combo has stood the test of time better than most the others seen. When you put that all together I think you find you have a car that feels very normal today, but strangely wasn't when it was built.

I was pointing out another typo like an rear end in a top hat. :) If you've still got it when I finish the Nova, I'll head down to St. Louis and we'll hang out.

What's up with the ITR?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

trouser chili posted:

SEAFOAM.

How the hell do you not know that? You use Seafoam to clean out ears, carb clear is for blocked noses. Sheesh! Next you'll be telling me Mobil 1 is for hair gel rather than sex lube

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let me tell you about a thing called Amsoil

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

I thought they were just isopropyl alcohol, to dilute the water so less is left when the extra pours out of your ear and the alcohol evaporates?

(so acetone would work, but really, I would not suggest it. ever. at all. ow.)

I dare you to put isopropyl alcohol in your ears. You get one of two effects: a severe "warmness" that borders on pain if you have absolutely no breaks in the skin or sores in your ear (which you will have if you've been trying to get water out of your ears for a few minutes), or the worst pain you've ever felt. If you go smell "swimmer's ear" brand drops (you find it at walmart/albertsons/walgreens/cvs), you'll smell the white vinegar. It works similarly to the isopropyl.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 247 days!)

13 INCH DICK posted:

Let me tell you about a thing called Amsoil

Says the Firestone guy. Everybody knows its all about Rotella.

E: Dear god why did I offer to fix electronic poo poo in SAMart?

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 31, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As a former sears employee i can tell you with great authority that Valvoline Premium Motor Oils© provide superiour lubrication and longevity, especially in high-heat, high-friction applications.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

trouser chili posted:

*cringe*

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

13 INCH DICK posted:

Let me tell you about a thing called owl pellets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
a co-worker sold his Mustang to buy a 2005 BMW 745i this week. So much schadenfreude to be had once he has to start repairing/maintaining that thing

• Locked thread