Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ok no comic book chat for Rhyno's sake.

But food chat...yes. Yesterday was one of those days where I never got full.
Breakfast: 4 eggs, 8 bacon, two bagels with nutella, 2 cups of fruit, cup of cottage cheese, coffee, orange juice.
At work: 4 bagels with nutella
Lunch: 2 servings of currywurst, fries and pop.
Dinner: 12oz steak, baked potato, garlic bread, 1.5L beer, apple strudel and a coffee.
2nd/3rd/ dinner: chicken stir fry from takeout place, two slices of pizza from pizza stand

Then I went to bed hungry. Wish my appetite was always that good, usually I have to force feed myself to eat enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Did you drink enough water with all of this? Do you have a glucometer? Do you take a multivitamin?

2 gallons of water a day, I get dehydrated easy. No glucometer, no multivitamin. My gut is completely f'ed up so between poor absorption and wildly varying hunger this is pretty normal.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

I ate three scotch eggs for dinner yesterday. I felt like I was going to die.

Worth it, though.

Are you the one that posted those in GWS pic thread? I need to see if anywhere around here serves them and if not make them when I get home and have a kitchen. They look amazing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Happy 4th from Germany where today isn't a holiday but they're having a massive festival this weekend anyways.

Spent 7.5 hours on the road yesterday, 3.5 of that not moving at all and another hour moving at first gear idle speeds. Not a great way to spend an evening but I had cigars and my kindle so it wasn't terrible.

Couple more hours of work then it's off the Schutzenfest!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?
I was supposed to learn in the little 320i that I now own but the injectors Dad ordered didn't show up in time. Instead I learned in the 911 with a heavy clutch that was easy to stall. After stalling it 20+ times Dad told me to give it gas and as soon as it started to engage floor it and drop the clutch. My first successful burnout and launch as well as start in a manual. Then we drove around country back roads for another few hours working in the finer points. I'm still mad he sold that car (78 911, 54k miles) but it was a couple years before I graduated and I couldn't afford it :(

Since learning I've taught both my brothers, most of my cousins, brother's fiance, hpde students, several friends and girlfriends. If I'm feeling brave stupid I'll teach them in my TDI since you can pull away from a stop at idle in any gear if you're smooth enough. Can usually have them pretty comfortable after 30-45 minutes in a parking lot.

I also discovered http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en last night...not good. Talking with one of the customers in Berlin Thursday he would like to import an old muscle car and I would like to import lots of stuff. This could be fun :getin:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 5, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Driving in Germany = awesome
Riding a bicycle in Germany = haha gently caress that

Decided to borrow a bike from the hotel since I'm planning on heading out a bit farther and don't feel like driving. I haven't been on a bike in several years and between the narrow streets and being generally lost this is nuts. Now lunch and a drink to calm my nerves. Doesn't help it's 80 degrees and humid so I'm sweating my rear end off.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 5, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

82 911sc probably had the heaviest clutch that I have ever used.
Old Porsches with super heavy clutches and long throw horse cock shifters. Ah what a car.

So I either had a very interesting evening or some people were playing the gently caress with the idiot American game.

Found a cocktail bar with great drinks at reasonable prices where I can sit outside and smoke cigars a few weeks ago. Headed there tonight after dinner, side note Germans don't get Mexican food. Anyway place is full and all tables are taken, I'm at a back corner outside downwind so I don't bother anyone with smoke even though everyone smokes. Have three open chairs at my table and three fairly attractive women walk up after talking to another table for a couple minutes. Since my German is poo poo I thought they asked if they could have the chairs so I said sure, they were asking if they could join me. Whatever no big deal.

After a while talking with them (yay Google translate and them knowing some English) it turns out they are having a few drinks before going to work. I ask what job allows you to show up after a few drinks...prostitutes. So had a few drinks with some prostitutes. I bought one round of shots, they each bought one so we all got good and buzzed. Eventually they all jumped into a Porsche Panamera and paid for all the drinks and some appetizers. Overall a good night.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Google tracking your movement, why am I not surprised. Anyway here's my last months activity.

Need to go buy another new SIM card tomorrow. Can't refill this pre-paid without linking a German bank account and that is not going to happen. Just need another 2 weeks of service and a plan that will let me self register or someone that will accept my hotel address when setting up the account.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ok, so what's the best way to clean out a funky plastic master cylinder reservoir? Obviously I'd like something that will eat old brake fluid gunk but not chew through the plastic. I've got a jug of acetone, but I'm kind of leery about that.

Soap and water then dry thoroughly? I always had pretty good luck with that. Brake fluid washes away great with water so maybe a tooth brush or something for the stubborn stuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

freelop posted:

That google location thing has been tracking me since before I got a google phone.
It's not just login data from computers either because it is at random points on the road
:tinfoil:

That's kind of the point. Anytime your phone 'checks in' it drops a point on the map, depending on your phones settings this could be nearly continuous or only when you use maps or something. The downside of carrying around a little computer in your pocket all the time I guess. I'm kind of surprised though, I picked up a new phone a few days before heading to Germany and no data from my previous phone is on there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Saw a strange little car go by while I was having dinner, turns out it's an electric Renault Twizy. Scissor/Lambo doors, single seat and just strange.

Looks like this unfortunately ...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

So I just got the invitations for my cousin's wedding this saturday. According to the card, it will be a "barn-raisin' good time" after the ceremony, including a "good 'ol BBQ", the "saloon will be open to all", and entertainments will include "horseshoes, drinkin', dancin', and corn-holing". :clint: :gay:

(items in quotes are more-or-less verbatim)

It's sounding a bit like Brokeback Mountain: the wedding.

No worries, farm/country/redneck weddings are usually a lot of fun. The ones I've been to are a lot of people not giving a poo poo, drinking a lot and having a great time. Better than the uptight fancy ones I've been too lately.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cage posted:

For those of you that change your own oil, where do you get your oil from? I spend close to $40 to get it done which isnt bad since I need extra oil and I refuse to go to one of those cheap chain shops but Im sure I can spend almost half that if I do it myself.
I run Rotella T6 in nearly everything I own except the M3, that gets Unicorn tears and buy the gallon jugs at Wal-Mart or wherever has the best price at the time. Usually around $20 for a gallon. I buy filters in bulk on Amazon or eBay.

Welp so much for my weekend in Berlin plans. In the 3 hours it took me to drive here the other site went "hyper critical" so now I have to head back tomorrow morning and stick around in case they need more help over the weekend. Knew I should have done the Berlin Museums a few weekends ago.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 10, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cage posted:

Well I said I never heard of it before. I guess its my fault for not saying I run a gas engine. Sorry!

Just because it's sold as diesel oil doesn't mean it only works in diesels. I run Rotella T6 in the TDI (yes diesel) and all the 4-cycle motorcycles. I run Rotella T in the 320i, the 928 and the chumpcar.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

My house has "whatever the gently caress the old owner did". It sure as hell isn't up to any code that's for sure.

In addition to the bathroom the disposal, the refrigerator, and the microwave were all powered through this:

With the breakaway tab between the hot terminals on the outlet carrying all of that load. Oh and the breaker box is stab-lok which have a tendency to not bother tripping in an over-current situation for about 40% of breakers.

At least the outlets in the house are grounded!

oh.

Remind me of a house I rented in college. Old place with the knob and tube (I think) wiring and two fuses for the whole apartment. So we couldn't do anything crazy like run the microwave while the TV was on or cook while cleaning. Best part was the grounded outlets (3-prong) with no grounding at all. I was amazed that place was still standing when I drove through town last year.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

NC owns. The government sucks (currently), but the state is really beautiful. We have VIR right on the border and we don't even have to live in Virginia!

(Virginia blows so loving hard)
NC is pretty good and you are closer to VIR. East TN is pretty nice for cars. No inspections, rust is rare, amazing roads and land is still somewhat reasonably priced. Downside is high sales tax. The rest of TN sucks, it's flat and lovely.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Welp so much for my weekend in Berlin plans. In the 3 hours it took me to drive here the other site went "hyper critical" so now I have to head back tomorrow morning and stick around in case they need more help over the weekend. Knew I should have done the Berlin Museums a few weekends ago.
Ended up working a very long day Friday then driving back to Berlin early yesterday. So I get my Berlin weekend.

Spent yesterday morning here - http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Berlin-english-summary.php Holy poo poo, I'll upload pics later but if you are ever in Berlin this needs to be at the top of the list. I've seen some cool poo poo but I walked in and just kind of stood in awe for a minute. Favorite picture is a Mercedes 300SL parked over a Lamborghini Countach. The lambo was still covered in bugs and had a helmet in the passenger seat.

No idea wtf I'm doing today. Not sure if I want to walk around museums, take a tour bus or just hang out in the hotel cigar lounge. Germany vs Argentina world cup game tonight should be amazing...hope Germany wins for the after party.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Standing with 1/2 million Germans at Brandenburg Gate for the world cup. I'm soaking wet, cold and drunk. Hell yes I'm cheering for Germany in the world cup finals. Should be an interesting night.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He's not working at all right now, and his COBRA benefits just ran out so he's still waiting to hear back on the MERICACare bullshit. He has a substantial savings and has so many health issues he thinks it'd be more worthwhile to spend the year living life rather than treating it again. This is the second time now and he nearly died last time.

And he wants to leave me all his poo poo when he dies. I didn't know how to react to that at all.

I've been in the position of the dying friend, all I can say is be there when needed and make those last few months awesome. Seriously at that point you've accepted it and someone to bullshit with is all you want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Berlin was as expected insane last night. Was it worth the pneumonia I'll likely get from standing out in the rain all day? Maybe. Berlin is a pretty awesome city even without the soccer clusterfuck going on, I should have spent a couple weekends there earlier in my trip.

Vacation starts tomorrow!

cursedshitbox posted:

jag? hahahaha inboard brakes.
Those loving things...never again will I get bit by these. I had an internship and one of the bosses had a old XJS (I think) with the inboards. He offered to pay me what seemed at the time to be a fair price to come do a full brake job on the car. Fronts were no problem and went quick then I got to the rears. Jack the car up, pull off the wheels and WTF. gently caress inboard brakes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

How the hell does someone working at a hotel and is likely mid 20's not know how math works...or how to use a calculator or credit card machine. I mean I know Germany switches the use of periods and commas in numbers but 2,050.00 is very different from 2.05000 to a calculator. I felt bad but WTF Germany, I'm disappointed.

Anyway if you like old cars look here - http://tinyurl.com/ntptrne
If you like boats, airplanes and more cars as well as really old computers look here - http://tinyurl.com/ozeaqgu
Apologies for poo poo camera phone

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

STR sorry about the satan spawn cat, losing a pet sucks. I've had to let a lot of family pets go in the past, always hard.

Well all good things must come to an end I guess. It's been one hell of a trip and I'm still amazed I was able to do it. Dad flies back tomorrow morning and I fly back to reality Monday. This last week has been an absolute blur but amazing. Three museums (BMW/Merc/Porsche), driving in the Alps (southern Germany is beautiful) and lapping the Nurburgring. This is one of the few places I've been that I'm really going to miss and I'm already scheming my next trip.

Nurburgring is something that no game or video can replicate. The elevation changes, the speeds, how narrow the track is how hard the carousel beats the poo poo out of you. Absolutely amazing. We took footage that I'll likely upload at some point but we're slow and didn't crash so it's pretty boring.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I can relate to the hot weather talk been 90F+ here the last couple days. We've been staying in cheap hotels and hostels with no A/C (common for Europe). Last night, or this morning, our hotel room got down to 86F around 3am...it sucked. We ended up driving around Stuttgart for a couple hours purely so we could have A/C and not be in our lovely hotel room.

Apparently this heat is uncommon for Germany. Looks like I'll be flying home to upper 80's with thunderstorms all week. I'm just happy we had great weather for the Ring, was worried about lapping in the rain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cakefool posted:

I remember something who worked with my wife years back her husband was just home from transplant surgery and she unwittingly brought something home from work and put him back in the hospital for three months. I don't want to be that guy.
Yeah if at all possible don't be that guy, no one likes that guy. My drat coworkers continue to come into work while sick despite being able to work from home most days. At least now they email the group and say they are sick so I can work from home.

Wooo breakfast then head to the airport for 17.5 hours of travel time :suicide:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Well, sitting in the ER with 170/120 and a pulse of 150. Things are off to a fantastic start, right? :haw:

drat man take care of yourself. Hope everything works out ok and you get things figured out.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somehow I've avoided high blood pressure despite it running in the family, I'm usually sitting around 90-100/60-70. Last time I very stupidly drove myself to the hospital and checked into the ER I was around 70/40. I just assumed I was horribly dehydrated which I was but also had other poo poo going on as usual. Always a bad sign when they bring in another machine or more people to re-check, also bad when they immediately hook up a heart monitor.

Then they didn't want to discharge me until I hit their 'normal' range of 120/80 or something which I am never at. Took talking to 3 of my old doctors to convince them I ran a little low.

rscott posted:

gently caress privatized healthcare in general
Also this

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bend posted:

going to buy a new sluice (http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/our-products/accessories/sluices-dredges-concentrators/au-trap-recon-sluice.html) today, my old ones starting to bow on the bottom and i got to watch a nice little nugget shoot out from under the mat into the waste pile. I wonder how much ended up in the waste pile before i realised the loving thing was letting it out.
Took me a while to figure out wtf that thing was. Now you get to go back and re-check the waste pile, should keep you busy for a bit longer.

In other news...hooray track day (motorcycle) confirmed in a few months. Time to finally get the little Honda RS125 on a track and see what it can do with my untalented rear end at the controls. 45hp, 140lb :getin:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Wasn't someone in here complaining that they couldn't buy old Blipshift shirts? If I'm not completely delusional they're doing a 72 hour sale of their 24 most popular designs starting August 4th - http://blipshift.com/blogs/news/14910045-the-2014-running-of-the-bs24

bend posted:

Thanks man. I'll get plat at some point in the next couple of days and try and make a nice informative first post.
Would read that OP for sure, sounds like cool stuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

trouser chili posted:

I've been driving the Audi V8 Quattro more and more and really coming to like it. AI, what is happening to me?
There's something about older German V8's that is a lot of fun. I am having the same issue with the 928. It's big and stupid and I should have sold it a long time ago but it's also fun to drive and comfortable.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Subaru sponsoring Roadkill? :vince:
This is going to be good

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ah the stuff we send to scrap. Uninstalling the kraken supercomputer, these pipes are from the cooling plumbing. Nice high pressure rated stainless steel. Wish I could think of a good use for it...we have a ton of lots of sizes and lengths. At least we're using the scrap money to throw a party.

Also have about 2k worth of custom built aluminum radiators, I might grab a couple of those for projects.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Related to my post above what would be the best way to cut a lot of stainless steel pipe? Horizontal band saw with a stainless blade? We have 1000+lb of pipe with aluminum and copper fittings, if I chop the fittings off it's worth three times as much and I can keep the difference.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

A bandsaw might do the job, but it really depends how hardened the stainless is. If it's hard (as I suspect it may be for high pressure piping) you may be better off with an abrasive chop saw, as you'll burn through bandsaw blades pretty fast trying to cut very hard material. That said, most hardened stainless is still not terribly hard, so you may be fine. You can get carbide bandsaw blades, but I think they're probably ludicrously expensive. The downside of the chop saw would be that it's way louder, more dangerous (abrasive cutting discs can shatter) and produces a lot of dust rather than chips.
Chop saw with a carbide blade or something is what I'm starting to lean towards. Will be noisy and dusty as hell but that's kind of expected. I should be able to weigh what we have next week so I can figure out if it's worth the time to mess with it all. It's a lot of stupid little cuts to mess with and would be time consuming but it would be easy and I think worth a few hundred at least.

Phone posted:

Cross-postin':

Looks like a Miata engine, what's the success in that? What are you working on now?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

trouser chili posted:

This is happening right now.

Was thinking about this at lunch...now I want to find a rally cross to run the 928 at before I sell it. I will be slow and awful but it will sound amazing and make great rooster tails.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Driving home and see a car pulled onto the shoulder with a flat front passenger tire, decide to be nice and pull over to see if they need a hand. Got bitched out for stopping to help by some crazy bitch since I obviously only stopped because it was a woman. "Nevermind, go gently caress yourself" then drove away.

Something something no good deed goes unpunished. I hope she's still sitting there trying to figure out how to use the widow maker jack.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

InitialDave posted:

"You are assuming I'm incapable and thereby oppressing me" crazy or "The only reason you stopped is so you can rape me" crazy?

Temptation must have been there to insist on "helping" regardless, but just tighten the lug nuts up as hard as you can and then leave.
Actually she accused me of both. Obviously I'm a big mean intimidating male I'm notso she feared for her life but wanted to make sure I knew she was capable of fixing it.

I got to drive by and wave a half hour later when she was still sitting there so that was one upside to getting called back to work to check on something.

Darchangel posted:

Is it just me, or does one of those 'Stangs sound like it's a V6, like maybe an Ecoboost?
Hmm I missed that when it was posted. I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about it by now but we spotted that car and a ton of other camo-mules while we were there. I think I have video of that car going by us...planning on doing a photo/video backup tomorrow so maybe I'll remember to upload the videos finally.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Are there any android apps that can be used to track mpg? Or do you guys just use a spread sheet?

Fuelly is what I've been using, apparently they now have an app but I usually just text in updates. Simple and works good enough.

• Locked thread