Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

The next question is going to be why are you going to the dealer for an alignment. So why are you going to a dealer for an alignment?

The burning question of the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

Massachusetts sucks and raised all their DMV fees. Shoutouts to taking even more of everyones money

Arizona went the other way, and will now give you a gas cap at the emissions station if that's the only reason you fail. :vince:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

That is a really lovely article, even though I love the old Nissans...

:allears: Oh gently caress off.

They also start the article with "it's so hard to find a stock clean one" and end it with "IT'S SO AWESOME TO MODIFY".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you've already got a 360, it was in Forza 4.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?

You're worrying too much. I had about five years of actual stick driving under my belt when I bought my MS3 and I still stalled it coming off the lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Though to be fair the MS3 has a oval office of a clutch. Feels like a quarter inch of actual engagement point on the pedal travel. Though somehow I never stalled mine during the test drive or taking it home, just a handful of times of the next couple weeks. Maybe once or twice a year sine then.

Fine, but I don't care how much time you have with a stick - a lot of it is learning your particular vehicle. Hop into one you've never driven and it's likely to make you look like a 16-year-old all over again.

The first one I test drove was even worse, it was drat near new. Clutch grabbed practically right off the floor and I think it took me three tries just to get out of the parking space.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

When I first moved here the monsoon rains were so strong that major roads became rivers

That's more to do with the fact that most of Tucson was built with zero mind for drainage. I distinctly remember a big storm in what would've probably been 2003, driving up Euclid towards Sixth and hearing standing water slapping against the floorboards of my GMC while waiting at a light.

Though a proper monsoon is loving awesome. I haven't gotten any real rain yet up here, just lots of wind and thunder.

Motronic posted:

That's by jurisdiction, :words:

I think the point was that the amount of condensate an A/C unit in Phoenix makes is roughly fuckall. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Netbooks make the best garage machines. My 1000HE may be old and slow, but it's still good enough to pull up PDFs / play Google music / surf Autozone and Rockauto, while being lovely enough that who cares if it gets greasy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

Well, all of the sudden my mom has decided that we're going to sell the Lexus... before the registration renewal comes due.

IN A WEEK.

Can you not get refunds on unused registration fees in your state?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

I, too, am sorry to live here. Every day.

Arizona: Vaguely better than Florida.

About on par with Indiana.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

My mom's boyfriend left me all his tools when he passed. I still don't really know how to react to it. I just try to be grateful whenever I have to use some tool I wouldn't otherwise have and find it laying in a drawer.

This is what I do with the few of my father-in-law's tools that I have. Never met the man (died a few years before I met my wife, let alone started dating her) and my mother-in-law apparently gave away the vast majority of it, but the ones that are left are damned handy. I do need to find somewhere to recalibrate / repair the Proto torque wrenches he left, though. The 3/8" seems to be out of whack, and the 1/4" never clicks no matter what.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

There's gotta be places that do that local to you. There's at least 2 places that do it in Tucson.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's even a mobile torque wrench recalibration place here. They do a yearly circuit of all the shops during the summer, and park it over the winter.

Yeah, just seems I never think of it whenever I actually have time.

gently caress it, I'll research it now :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Plus stock pads are almost always only good for being quiet and not for consistent hard stops. A MSP3 is a fast car, the stock pads are not up to the task - what are you doing giving such bad advice? You should know better.

Unless the rest of the world got different pads, the OEM pads on the MS3 are actually pretty damned aggressive. They dust like gently caress and had better initial bite than Hawk HPS, and are probably about on par with the HP+.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jamal posted:

Agressive stock pads are one thing, dealing with repeated full on application from over 100mph is another. Those things have pretty big rotors, right? That will help a little. Stoptech pads are cheap and would probably be an improvement over stock, but they aren't a track pad. I do know a number of people who have been on track with them though. Otherwise carbotech has a pretty good range, and probably something with a higher MOT that will not be too harsh.

True, but again, novice driver. Maybe I'm unique but I know the first time I'm ever doing something stupid fast (i.e. shifter karts at Bondurant) I have a hard time convincing myself to stay on the throttle long enough to need a full-on brake application.

Now, depending on how quickly he learns, by the end of the first day he may well already be able and willing to brake beyond the capabilites of the stock pads.

meatpimp: Goddamnit they don't seem to have 0w20 and I'm due for an oil change on the CR-V soon.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Because having a fresh replacement component on hand guarantees your current one will last forever.

I bought rear pads for my MS3. I never needed them even with 124k on the loving car. :stare: Remember what I said about being afraid to brake deep? I think it's perpetually ingrained from the poo poo brakes my GMC has had forever...

At any rate, nobody can ever accuse Freiburger of not 'getting it' when it comes to long term projects. Goddamn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I always have my floor jack right up to (but not actually taking any load from) the car after I settle it on the stands. Remember that jackstands are designed to work only on good surfaces - level, smooth concrete. Putting them on a surface that's angled much starts really reducing what they're capable of handling.

Also, be wary of this style of stand:

I've seen more than a few of those fail. My old man had a set of them that were probably a decade older than me and I managed to get him to pitch them a while back.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it a two fan (or two speed fan) setup? The LS1 in my truck has two fan relays and I think in a factory config, A/C only commands the high fan on. The low fan still cycles with temperature. Sounds like your low speed fan relay is dead or dying.

Also, assuming GM did it the same way, a manual fan switch is easy. You just have to ground the relay since that's all the computer does.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Buy a BP monitor on Amazon, check that poo poo once a day. Good ones can be found around $50.

My old man has one and thanks to checking every day, he found out about a failing heart valve before he even had any symptoms. So now he's part pig.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:supaburn:

Rest of the week looks like more of this, too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

rscott posted:

but it's a dry he- :commissar:

I will still take this any day over 90 degrees and humid. Humidity is hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, and the fact that Weather Underground shows a lot of personal weather station data so someone probably has theirs sitting in the sun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Subaru sponsoring Roadkill? :vince:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

e: i wonder how many of your own farts you have to smell to get brain damage

You're in the process of finding out from the look of things.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My wife is a bad good influence.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

Haha, NEVER hold a car for the neighbor kid because it never ever works out. That should be in the top five rules of car selling, no holding the car for friends, family, or neighbors.

People on Craigslist are just loving idiots across the board. Trying to sell an old dining room table to make room for a new one, so I threw it on CL with a one-line ad. Picture of the table, and maybe ten-fifteen words describing the condition, size, and the fact that the chairs in the photo aren't included.

So what do I get? A half-price offer who doesn't even say until the third loving email that he expects the chairs too. :wtf: I don't even mind the price, I'd have taken it because I'd rather get some money than nothing out of it, but... it amazes me that the human race hasn't killed itself off from mass stupidity.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Is it just me, or does one of those 'Stangs sound like it's a V6, like maybe an Ecoboost?

I think you're actually hearing the flat-plane crank there, not a V6.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Fuelly is what I've been using, apparently they now have an app but I usually just text in updates. Simple and works good enough.

I think they bought aCar, which is what I've been using for years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

swing axle suspension parts, actually

Side-saddle gas tanks, with complimentary pyrotechnics.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I could do without the desaturated look on the photos, but your car (hell, your collection) is awesome as all hell.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To play devil's advocate, I think a paid Youtube sub is certainly better than getting poached by a cable network and forced to play by their rules.

Buuut, nope, not gonna pay $4/month just to get some Chris Harris. I like the guy and his videos but that's steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, that it did.

• Locked thread