Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Inferior American adhesives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Your boss knew about your plans and agreed to them, shoulda walked and left the assistant to clean up his own mess.

So much this. Don't be a doormat, STR.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A buddy of mine "taught" me to drive stick in a mid-70s Mustang/Pinto-type thing. He told me that the way to do it was to just rev the piss out of it and dump the clutch. That worked fine and got the car moving.

However, less than a week later, I was doing some yard work with my family and we borrowed a neighbor's farm truck. I said that I now knew how to drive a stick and jumped in the driver's seat with my dad in the passenger seat... and my mother and dog sitting on the open tailgate.

The only other thing I remember after starting the truck as I had been taught is seeing my dog literally roll off the tailgate and pick himself up off of the road.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wife and kids went a state over for some camping. meatpimp is alone with the only project being changing the front hub bearing assemblies on the E39. Gonna have my good buddy wiser and his partner jimmy beam over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzqQst-Sg8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tommychu posted:

What's the general opinion on EBC, specifically the Greenstuff 6000 line? I had my first real drive in the Sportage yesterday and the brakes are clearly not up to the task of stopping this prick as quickly as I'd like it to with 31x10.50s on it. It seems like these pads are pretty much the only option I've got to upgrade without major fab work but I'm super leary on these :pcgaming: "performance" brake companies.

I was a big fan of the Axxis/Repco/whatever they are now "Ultimate Ceramic" pads. I used them on probably a dozen cars with nothing but good results. A few years ago my brother had a Mazda 3, and the Ultimate Ceramics weren't available for it, so I used a set of Green Stuff... they sucked. Maybe good for quasi-track pads, but for DD they lacked initial/cold bite and squealed like loving crazy all the time.

I've got a set of Hawks on my BMW and they feel very similar to the Ultimate Ceramics with good initial bite, more when you need it and minimal dusting.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

It's seriously tempting. Borrow stepdad's F-150, rent a flatbed trailer out there, bring the car back home. I could part it out for far more than I'd paid for it, but the car runs like a scalded ape (when it runs).

Why not rent a 2-wheel dolly where you're at, drive over and pick it up, then tow it home. The 2 wheelers are cheap, especially if you do it for just a 1 or 2 day rental.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

some texas redneck posted:

I'd prefer a flat dolly simply because it's been sitting for several years. The tires are still inflated, but I'm sure there's flat spots. And seeing as the speed limit on I-10 is 85....

Well, that speed would sort out those flat spots really quick, then! :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

Sick stance, brah.

(Probably super toed out or a bad tie rod end or balljoint, as you guessed.)

Or super fatty driver.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kastein posted:

I saw corn chips sunning on a rock by the driveway when I left, actually.

What the gently caress am I missing, is "corn chips" code for something?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cakefool posted:

I somehow missed this entire thread, anything interesting I have to catch up on out of the last 15 pages?

STR came out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Backov posted:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, the guy gets treated and doesn't go bankrupt, period.

Pfft... "rest of the world" doesn't count when 'murica. :911:

Sadly, we have this ingrained mentality that we really are better than other countries. While that may have been the case 40 years ago, in almost every metric we've slipped soundly into mid-pack, but our mentality is fixed in the past. Highly damaging.

In other news, while we have a crap standard of living and/or freedom, and we don't do the whole "people" thing well, we certainly lead the world in our various abilities to blow poo poo up:

http://www.darpa.mil/Our_Work/TTO/Programs/Extreme_Accuracy_Tasked_Ordnance_%28EXACTO%29.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX8Z2MDYX3g

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

Jizz-mopping will be minimal.

They ALWAYS say that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cat Terrist posted:

gently caress unlit roadworks. Cost me a helmet and some time off my bike with some decent bruises.

Buuuut - hey, wear ya helmet, mine cracked but it stopped my head from cracking. Winter clothes also stopped major road rash.

Use one of these, silly: http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Rechargeable-Headlight-Headlamp-Bicycle/dp/B00JGNEMAQ

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Amazon's got 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $22.66/Prime. 10W and 5W-30, at least... those are the ones I checked. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I4E91GI/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

gently caress. Sorry, STR.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

He got nailed for DWB.

Driving while broke?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

What is it about rental cars that makes me want to beat the ever-loving piss out of them?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Slow is Fast posted:

He traded in his BMW X5 for a Trailblazer...

Another example of a dealer taking advantage of a customer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

:supaburn:

Rest of the week looks like more of this, too.

76* and nice right now in the Midwest. We really haven't had Summer, just a long, protracted Spring.

And it's awesome. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

I've been driving the Audi V8 Quattro more and more and really coming to like it. AI, what is happening to me?

Early '90s Audis have a distinct charm -- they are tanks that will ALWAYS have a "to-be-fixed" list, but they're so damned competent that you forgive them.

Powershift posted:

Most model/brand specific forums are terrifying, firstly because everything becomes an echo chamber with large cliques spouting the same bullshit, and those cliques never follow the most intelligent, only the loudest.

I avoid other car forums almost entirely, but I think it would be a great thread to share screenshot examples of the wanton stupidity in the model/brand specific forums.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I haven't even seen this motherfucker in over a year and a half. I'd love to know what brought up the topic of me cheating on my girlfriend (which never happened).

Sounds like the bringing up the topic of cheating on your girlfriend DID happen. Grammar :iceburn:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Imma set dat bitch on fire.

I'm taking it to wash it, vacuum it and get some decent pics of it. CL ad is pretty much written. I'm starting at $2000 and will take ANY offer over $1250.

Give me details... I've always wanted to make a 1.8t Beetle fast, with daisy wheels.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

A while back I was contacted by an automotive journalist (blogger?) about shooting my 250c and doing a shot write-up about it. Last Sunday we did a quick early morning photoshoot. Here it is: http://voyagershift.com/around-the-block-1970-mercedes-benz-w114-250-c/

It was a pretty fun morning, talking cars and driving them about. We discussed doing a "strange bedfellows" type story with the 250C and ITR together, and even shot a few pictures of them together, but I guess he decided not to go that way.

"Today, the 250 C would be analogous to the E350 Coupe, which run about $53,000. It’s a far more organic shape that you’d find in the 70′s, but the correlation is still present, most notably the pillar-less design of the hardtop."

Tell him to proofread instead of mucking with the sliders in Photoshop. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Eh, I'm not one to tell others how to do things I can't do worth a drat myself. I had a fun weekend and I think it's cool that someone else saw something in one of my cars worth writing about.

No doubt, sounds like a fun time, I was just busting his nuts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

trouser chili posted:

Oh yeah, I finally got the ITR into the body shop this morning for an estimate. Just under $1000 for a new bumper cover and paint. Also they asked if I wanted a rental, I guess I do. Car goes in on the 14th of August.

Cripes, I missed something... what happened to the ITR?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any beater 7 = best 7

This is slowly creeping and will gain traction until all of AI is driving beater 7s. We'll figure out how to fix all the fragile, hyper-expensive toys and corner the market. It is our destiny.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Magic Underwear posted:

"Burcham was not wearing a helmet."

When you wheelie at speed into a saddle gas tank, it doesn't really matter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Why on earth do you put the oil pressure sender in the BACK of the motor when there is tons of space in the front?

Parts bin. The answer to nearly every GM-related bitch.

• Locked thread