Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sigma X posted:

Hell no she can't afford a new car. She can barely afford the parts I'm currently putting into keeping this thing moving under its own power.

Isn't it great feeling responsible for a girlfriends car? Once you check the oil, that's it, you're the caretaker of that car whether you like it or not. I had a GF that I found a nice used Prelude for, all she had to do was keep oil in it and she couldn't even accomplish that. Car died of oil starvation, and I felt like it was my fault for not being there to save it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

AI: Caretakers of Girlfriend's Shitboxes

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HAPPY 4TH JERKS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, be ready for the creepy pervs trying to get you to come to their dungeon apartment.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

alternate.eago posted:

My brother and I are battling feral cats. There are like 60 of them in the neighborhood, the lady next door keeps feeding them. I'm tired of the cats fornicating and giving birth in my garage, and on my crown vic.

Report your neighbor to animal control and trap the cats or it will get worse.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I'd just stick the spare set of pads in my tools/spares kit.

And then have to wait until your hot brakes cool of to work on them? I'd just throw a set of good pads on to begin with, cheap and easy insurance that your expensive track day doesn't get shortened because of stock pads. I'm sure in some cases stock would be fine but if you're spending money on a track day why not just take the extra precaution.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why do you need A/C in a Miata, just put down the rear window and BAM instant bikini top.

I live in FL and haven't used the A/C in my Miata yet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Even in something I don't need in the summer (my plow truck) I make drat sure the AC works because defrost basically doesn't do poo poo on a rainy day without it.

I was being kinda facetious but yeah good point. It's nice just to have it for that, but I imagine at some point I'll remove the A/C just because I'm a sperg when it comes to clean looking engine bays and "real" sports cars not having A/C. To get the real sports car experience you have to suffer, right?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well as long as my Miata is the DD the A/C isn't coming out that's for sure. It'll probably come out when it's the toy sports car and I have another DD, but that may be awhile because I like having a Miata for a daily.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Put a test pipe on the Miata to replace the cat and now it's leaking even though I used new gaskets and "flange sealant" (like Hylomar) for the job.....Maybe shoulda used RTV instead? gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, thanks. Now I gotta clean all this other poo poo off god dammit.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Still in the ER, with a banana bag and some iv Ativan so far. BP is a bit lower, but not as low as they want.

Now if they'd just uncouple me from all the machines so I could go pee... Or at least show me where the loving remote is for the TV. :argh:

'Sup ER buddy, I was just there because my entire body went numb and I thought I was going to die! And they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me so they sent me home. Boy that made me feel better! gently caress the VA is all I gotta say.

Get well, STR.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My BP is 1.8 :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Arguing with people on Miata.net is like punching yourself in the face why would you do that

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can anyone tell me about rockauto's European parts? I can get (essentially) the same Moog ball joints and tie rod ends from the UK for half the price including shipping which only takes a few more days. Are the UK Moog parts shittier quality or something? It's for a Miata, I'm assuming Miatas in the UK aren't any different, I don't see why they would be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Over here meaning you're in the UK? Yeah I don't see why rod ends or ball joints would be any different, they look exactly the same in the pics except the UK ends are silver instead of black. Why are they so much cheaper across the pond, I don't get it. It's $45 for shipping but it still comes out to almost half the price of the US parts.

Tie rod ends UK $14.42, US $41.79

Ball joints UK $19.07, US $46.79

:psyduck:

[edit] Phone, I'm not replacing the uppers, just the lowers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Holy poo poo. Do people not like Miatas over there?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, AFAIK Moog over here is the same Federal-Mogul sub-brand as in the US. No idea why there would be a noticeable pricing discrepancy, but I founf the same thing with performance brake pads for my Subaru.

Are you sure they're exactly the same part numbers?

Initial part numbers are different, but the related numbers in "{}" after are the same.

How different could they be? Maybe the threads possibly?

Maybe I'll just take the risk and see what happens, it's only $95 shipped from the UK for two ends and two lower ball joints, if it works out it will be good to know for other Miata owners.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 25, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Cheap chinese poo poo versus genuine article.

If it's a Moog K9908 in both cases, for instance, fair enough. If it's the same OE-number compatible, though, I'd be more careful.

Just read that according to Moog technical Support, if you want a real Moog product, made by Moog, you have to buy a part with the prefix "K." The UK parts do not have a K, but the US parts do.

Guess that settles it, not gonna pay $45 shipping for chinese "moog" parts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

WTF
Actually I accidentally rubbed my eye after touching a chile yesterday. Thankfully, it was a very mild one.

I was cutting a bunch jalapenos for relish once and when I was done went to take a leak. Yup.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ryno's friends are worthless, sky is blue.

So I just got back from driving two hours to pick up some Lexus wheels with "good" Michelins on them for a "great deal" for my Camry. I get there and the tires are loving dry rotted and basically garbage. So I offer him less money since the tires are poo poo and he says "well the price is really for the wheels I was gonna take the tires off anyway" THANKS FOR WASTING MY loving TIME YOU loving oval office

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So this dude who you're not friends with goes on facebook and starts talking poo poo about you for no apparent reason?

I'm glad I don't use facebook, why have more outlets for dumbass drama.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So I got the bad idea that I should do a fix and flip on a Subaru with head gaskets, and found a 99 Outback for $1350ish. Talked the guy down to $650 and then planned a pick-up time. Ask if he wants a deposit. No deposit, okay, fine. Got insurance, cash, all the usual stuff. An hour before I leave for his place, he emails me and is like "oh neighbor kid wants it, and he wants to pay full price, so I agreed to sell it to him when he gets the money." Obviously, I'm pissed, but it's probably a blessing in disguise - I can spend that time and money on my own cars instead of trying to do a head gasket job for a profit.

Two weeks later, he emails me today with "welp neighbor kid couldn't come up with the money, you still want it?"

Have fun, rear end in a top hat!

Haha, NEVER hold a car for the neighbor kid because it never ever works out. That should be in the top five rules of car selling, no holding the car for friends, family, or neighbors.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

I had a bad idea in the shower last night... K24 swap into a 190E.

Just hurry up and do it to a Miata so I can learn from your mistakes :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

^^^ The Probe/626 coupe as far as I am aware is what came out of the FWD project

626 coupe, heh. It's called the MX6 here. I wanted one for a DD for awhile but no one took care of them and it's impossible to find nice ones these days :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

All you guys that are dropping and losing sockets/bolts are doing it wrong if you don't have a telescoping magnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

Doesn't do squat when you have no idea where the bastard ended up

That rarely happens in my experience, usually you have an idea where it went and a little digging around with magnet usually turns it up.

• Locked thread