Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Barrista posted:

With all the talk about homosexuality in regards to The Last of the Wine, whether it be here or in negative reviews, I felt in the end I had more a story about a boy growing up. After reading some reviews I was really nervous that I was just in a for a homosexual romance novel and I'm not much for romance novels regardless of their sexual leanings. And I can see why some readers may feel this is a romance novel, but I guess I felt there was more to Alexias' story than that. In any case, those who think this book is pushing a homosexual "agenda" should also ask themselves if they think it's promoting slavery or arranged marriages for women, since these were also part of Athenian life.

I'm having a really hard time seeing how this book could be construed to promote an overall "homosexual agenda", given that Lysis (and I'm guessing Alexias as well - I've got about ~70 pages left) get married, and even when they're together, they both seem interested in women. As you said, it's such a small part of the overall story; this is more about Alexias growing into a man and learning lessons about things like bravery, justice, etc. The feel of the book, where it's essentially Alexias's memoirs recounting his life, makes it really muted on the romance angle (I think the only explicit thing that happens is that they kiss early on). I suppose it can be seen as pushing an "agenda" of homosexuality as acceptable, but it doesn't define their characters to any great extent. There are significant parts where if you didn't know they were lovers, but just good friends, that likely wouldn't warrant comment.

Crashbee posted:

Sounds good to me, though I mostly nominated it because the WW1 centenary is coming up in a few days.

Could go for both the WW1 centenary and the female author and do Tuchman's The Guns of August

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread