Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarristaSelmy
Oct 10, 2012

Poutling posted:

... out of curiosity, HA - what made you pick this one rather than let's say, The King Must Die which would probably have been a more accessible work for people who don't know much about Ancient Greek history?

I don't really have much in-depth knowledge of Greek history (or I just don't remember it), but I can't say that hindered my enjoyment of this book. It may be nice to know who Alcibiades or other prominent figures were (who my history teachers may have glossed over), but she does a good job of making you understand who they were or the affect they had on characters in the story or in the era in which Alexias is living. I did choose to read more about various figures on my own, but if someone else chooses to assume all the characters are fictional, then I don't see an issue with that.

With all the talk about homosexuality in regards to The Last of the Wine, whether it be here or in negative reviews, I felt in the end I had more a story about a boy growing up. After reading some reviews I was really nervous that I was just in a for a homosexual romance novel and I'm not much for romance novels regardless of their sexual leanings. And I can see why some readers may feel this is a romance novel, but I guess I felt there was more to Alexias' story than that. In any case, those who think this book is pushing a homosexual "agenda" should also ask themselves if they think it's promoting slavery or arranged marriages for women, since these were also part of Athenian life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread