Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
n you clearly haven't played it or have bad taste in games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would pay 200 dollars for titan mode in the latest bf.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

bad company 2 was pretty good

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

1942 for the nes was the best war game in the world okay bye

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was 15-16 and very annoyed that it came out so soon after 2 so I never bought or played it sorry

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

star wars battlefront 2 is the bes tbattlefield game

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Oil Can Boyd posted:

star wars battlefront 2 is the bes tbattlefield game

Battlefront 2 was amazing, I played the space battles religiously

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

dice is making anew battle front game lol its literally gonna be battlefireld : star raws

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

If they gently caress it up like BF3&4 I will be so mad. Think I'm going to wait a few weeks after released, see what it's like and then consider getting it

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

2142 was good

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Call me crazy but I loved 'nam.

It was the last battlefield I played. How where the others?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Call me crazy but I loved 'nam.

It was the last battlefield I played. How where the others?

4 is cool if you enjoy multiplayer with a 10 tickrate

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I played 4 on PS4 and it had the only times I have felt that Battlefield magic since 2 but also it made me swear off EA games forever so lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I remember BC2 having lots of bloom, really linear maps which loving sucked for conquest, two factions, lots of pointless unlocks, and console oriented design choices in general, basically every problem BF3 and 4 have but people still say it's way better for no real reason

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The only real difference I can think of is that BF3 and 4 were both way more popular. Is that why people hate them

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
BF3 was basically a mess at launch as well and that probably contributed, i mean it wasn't just technical issues there was also poo poo like the irnv scopes being ludicrously overpowered

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ugh and the maps were disgustingly bad. Bf4 was released in an unacceptable state from a technical point of view but in terms of gameplay it is so much better than BF3 out of the box that it's not even funny. The default maps are actually playable

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Kazvall posted:

I would pay 200 dollars for titan mode in the latest bf.

this is how they described one of the dlcs for bf4 and it almost tricked me for a second.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
People bitch about how scripted the levelution stuff is but at least in the stock maps BF4 has way more dynamically destructible stuff than BF3,which had virtually nothing imo

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Vietnam
Bad Company 2

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Looke posted:

bad company 2 was pretty good

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I quite enjoyed battlefield 3, but since they introduced prime/elite/premium what ever the gently caress it is, it's gone to poo poo, it only loads up the same 2 maps, and most games are subscription only.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Looke posted:

I quite enjoyed battlefield 3, but since they introduced prime/elite/premium what ever the gently caress it is, it's gone to poo poo, it only loads up the same 2 maps, and most games are subscription only.

wait wtf is this poo poo?

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
2142 was the best one hands down, nothing compares to titan mode and the goliath fuckin ruled too

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Actually being on a titan sucked though cause they were made up of bottlenecks where people would just spam grenades to infinity. And movement was floaty as hell too.

Everything else was cool as gently caress tho.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 2, 2014

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Triggsz posted:

Actually being on a titan sucked though cause they were made up of bottlenecks where people would just spam gremades to infinity. And movement was floaty as hell too.

if the titan was moving everything got hella floaty, but the bottlenecks were fine. the titan assault was waves running through machinegun fire and explosions to suicide bomb consoles until the core opened up, followed by the sweet release of basejumping out

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

wait wtf is this poo poo?

you don't know about battlefield premium? :drat:

it gives you early access to the dlc
cosmetic poo poo
and there are subscriber only servers where you can edit it and poo poo

it all sounds good but in reality I can only play two maps because every other server is stuck behind a paywall now

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I liked battlefield Vietnam but nobody played it

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
i agree with the OP but vietnam and BF2 were close behind imo

battlefield used to have somethin it aint got now

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

any Refractor BF > any Frostbite BF

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

LEt me correct that actually

Any Refractor BF that isn't Heroes/Online/Play4Free > Any Frostbite BF > Heroes/Online/Play4Free

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

although it didn't really feel like a battlefield game, heroes was actually really loving fun before it became pay to win

i reinstalled it a few years back only to find that you could no longer permanently purchase weapons with in-game money so im like welp cya

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

zen death robot posted:

bf4 ended up pretty good but holy poo poo was that a buggy hunk of poo poo when it was released

its a p solid generic military multiplayer game but i feel like BF used to just have a little more going on than that. it was cool when they asked "what characterizes modern war now that we're doing that" and they kind of emphasized this creepily detached god's eye view perspective

also 2142 was just straight up better as a game anyhow

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The only real difference I can think of is that BF3 and 4 were both way more popular. Is that why people hate them

addition of auto lock on rpgs/rocket launchers in bf3 meant the end of fun vehicle combat. in bc2 you would have to actually either tag the vehicle with a tracer dart or use the guided at4 rocket. getting a hit with those things took skill and was rewarding as hell. imo there was nothing better than popping a transport helicopter full of dudes in the tail after chasing them around and making them dance with your rockets trying to avoid them.

in bf3 though you can just lock on to whatever vehicle immediately, fire, and forget, in theory anyways. in reality you enter a war of attrition with whatever you're firing at because they have unlimited amounts of flares and can easily kite you outside of your lock on range.

lock on > fire > vehicle flares > repeat

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Planetside 2 > Battlefield 3/4

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Triggsz posted:

Planetside 2 > Battlefield 3/4

true but still not as good as 2142

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
BF1942 was actually the best because most things could actually interact with one another.

Like, you could legitimately hop on a machine gun and shoot down/significantly damage a skygod in that game.

If the infantry combat were better that game wouldve been immortal.

also it had real rear end naval combat with big ships which is cool

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

oh boy hitscan weapons and short ttk

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

BF1942 was actually the best because most things could actually interact with one another.

Like, you could legitimately hop on a machine gun and shoot down/significantly damage a skygod in that game.

If the infantry combat were better that game wouldve been immortal.

also it had real rear end naval combat with big ships which is cool

You might have some rose tinted glasses going on, that game barely worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
and 2142 if anything added ways for infantry to mess with vehichles with EMPs and the really really good stationary anti vehichle guns and such. the effective removal of jets helped too

• Locked thread