Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiseass
Feb 19, 2011
So about a month ago a friend setup a murmur server on his home PC for about 6 of us to use when we game together, mind you the other 5 people have no problems connecting to him.

Some quick points:

I'm the ONLY one on Comcast as a provider
This started about a month, maybe 2 ago.

He signed up at no-ip.com and is using a DNS name of <servername>.hopto.org, standard murmur port, etc.

I've ensured the necessary ports are opened in my modem (direct to comcast modem, no router in between or anything), like I said this worked up until about 2 months ago.

Today i saw this article:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2014/06/30/microsoft-takes-on-global-cybercrime-epidemic-in-tenth-malware-disruption.aspx

in short this part:

In a civil case filed on June 19, Microsoft named two foreign nationals, Mohamed Benabdellah and Naser Al Mutairi, and a U.S. company, Vitalwerks Internet Solutions, LLC (doing business as No-IP.com), for their roles in creating, controlling, and assisting in infecting millions of computers with malicious software—harming Microsoft, its customers and the public at large.

now I've gone as far as changing my DNS to the following:

and even leaving the default and I still can't connect to the server, the connect button is greyed out.

I CAN connect to any number of public murmur servers listed without a problem, I also use Ventrillo and Teamspeak and seems to be fine..

I'm leaning towards Comcast being the culprit here only because I can't even get to the websites listed for no-ip.com or anything linked from the article, it just times out...is it possible that due to the above claims by Microsoft they are blocking people from even accessing these sites/servers/etc?

is there any definite way I can verify this is the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Open up cmd prompt and do a tracert [server ip] and paste what it says.

It's not best practice to use a DNS like 4.2.2.2 as it's unassociated with Comcast.
Try using the DNS for your area and see if it works (unless that's what you were initially using). https://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/usa/comcast.html

wiseass posted:

is it possible that due to the above claims by Microsoft they are blocking people from even accessing these sites/servers/etc?

I'd read that Microsoft had accidentally interfered with a lot of legitimate things so it might be possible.

• Locked thread