Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little tea pot
May 1, 2008
So we have fleas. We moved to oregon from Montana about three years ago and prior to last year had never even see a flea. It was a shock to say the least. We have two indoor kitties and a dog that only goes out in the yard (unless it's on a walk or in the car).

We got fleas. Somehow. We got them before we got the dog so they must have come in on us. We did what you do- wash everything. Sweep the hardwood floors. Spray the couches and drapes. Get the cats medicated with Advantage. Things calmed down, didn't eradicate them, but became more manageable. Kept up the medication and cleaning.

Then we got the dog. The fleas exploded! Not literally, sadly. They got so much worse. Of course it's summer an flea season. We have sprayed the yard with Sentry (after diatomatious earth didn't work) and have been washing the dog every week. One cat got a bath but was so sad I don't know if I can do that again! The other is pretty feral and won't let us near her a lot so baths are pretty much off limits unless it's dire.

Problem is is that the feralish cat is also, we're pretty sure, allergic to the fleas and has scratched until she has scabs all over. We are taking her to the vet this weekend hopefully (if they are open and I can get an appointment).

We are tired of the flea bites on us and the fleas on the pets. What else can we do? It is pretty expensive to board the pets overnight so bombing is a last last resort. Could it be an animal under the house or in the attic? Like a possum?

Help! My legs are ugly from the red bites and it's summer! And my poor poor Johncat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Are the cats/dog not on regular monthly flea meds? I know they can still get bites while medicated but it shouldn't be to such an extreme degree. Bathing is unnecessary with flea drops. It also dries out their skin and doesn't keep fleas off. Also, if you dosed them with flea drops and bathed them right after, you're just washing the drops off. When you talk to your vet ask what brand of drops they recommend, in certain areas fleas are immune to certain brands.

Don't flea bomb. Do not. You'll cover your house and all your crap in poison and it won't even take out the eggs.

If you wanna try a mild solution first-treat your house with food grade DE (this can go everywhere ever, it's very safe unlike the outdoor/pool variety) leave it for about a day and go nuts with vacuuming. Then go back to doing what you were doing before when the problem first started, keep vacuuming, keep emptying everything after you clean. And keep your pets medicated.

Getting your house professionally steam cleaned is another option. It won't totally eliminate them but it'll take them down a considerable notch.

Outside yard treatment you'll probably need to call an exterminator as the problem comes up if DE didn't have any success. Getting your house spray treated by one might not be a bad idea either judging by your description. (this is different than bombing and you won't need to board your pets) You can also try some natural stuff like planting marigolds, which I am currently attempting on my balcony.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
If you're vacuuming, get the hyper allergenic bags and throw them out each time you vacuum. Throw out rugs and pet beds. Flea meds usually can be given more frequently than the usual 4 weeks but consult with your vet. Bathing isn't necessary and doesn't really help, unless the dog likes to play in the mud a lot obviously. But definitely don't bathe for 2-3 days before and after giving flea meds.

Also make sure you're getting it in a good spot. Cats are bad. They recommend between the shoulder blades but they just lick it off, so the base of the skull(where skull and neck meet) is really the best place. And definitely have a good amount of skin showing.

Alternatively, you can do what the Simpsons did and just put flea collars on yourselves (don't do this)

little tea pot
May 1, 2008
We have all hardwood floors and I sweep almost everyday. All the pets are medicated with Frontline (not Advantage as I thought it was- I called the vet to ask) once every four weeks. We may try to do it every three as suggested. The baths we gave the dog and the one we gave the cat was three weeks after application- I know way better than that!

I used the DE outside, but I think it's time to try it inside. Just sprinkle it around for a few days, in every nook and cranny and under the furniture and between appliances, yes? And sweep it up in a few days to a week?

Any other tips are appreciated, and thanks for the ideas! I'll try anything at this point!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Sweeping won't get rid of fleas as effectively as vacuuming.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It's a pain with hardwood, but switch from sweeping to vacuuming everyday for about 10 days after you treat your place with DE and let it sit. Then see how vacuuming every 2-3 days goes and go from there. But yeah, sweeping will pretty much do nothing. You are going to be sick to death of vacuuming.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
When my family moved south, we had the exact same problem. I would say that you should at least consider bombing your house with DE. It's not ideal, but if it's a serious infestation, sometimes bombing just once and then cleaning the gently caress out of your house can really help. Bomb it, vacuum the hell out of it, wash every piece of bedding you own in the hottest setting, get your yard treated if you think that's where it's coming from--do it all at once if you can. It may seem like overkill, but if a couple of those fuckers slip past you, you might be dealing with this again next summer.

Also, ask your vet if you can double down on flea meds. Frontline and some of the other leading brands apparently work using different principles/forms of chemical release, so the right medications can be paired together. What we ended up doing is Frontlining all four pets, waiting two weeks, then giving them an oral flea med, then repeating the Frontline two weeks after that, etc. Staggering the meds so that they were dosed with some kind of anti-flea stuff every 14 days made a huge, huge difference. Combining that with DE bombing the house every month (though we probably should have done it more) eventually took care of our problem. It is expensive to double up on medication, but hopefully you'll only need to do it for a few months.

Also! Don't wash your dog every week if you're giving them Frontline! Frontline doesn't go into the body through the skin, it spreads through the oil the the fur and sticks on to kill fleas that come in contact with it. Washing your dog once a week is basically stripping him of his protection (and natural oils, which leads to dry skin, which leads to more itch).

TheAbominableSnow fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 12, 2014

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

You might try switching from Frontline to Advantage, as well. Some years back, I successfully treated a flea outbreak with Frontline one year. The following year, it didn't help at all, but Advantage cleared things right up.

little tea pot
May 1, 2008
We have currently put the cats on a medication (topically applied) called Revolution. It is SUPER great! We are finding only dead fleas on them when we flea comb them. The dog, however, has to wait until August 9th to get on it. She has to have a vet check for heart worms (we only recently adopted her) before she can go on it. The Revolution is working so great! Highly recommended if anyone is looking into it.

We took the allergic cat into the vet to get a cortisone shot and antibiotics and she is much happier. The other cat got a sick tummy the same week and had to see the vet as well. She got X-rays and IV fluids. Diagnosed with "upset tummy". She is now being spoiled with special wet food until she will eat kibble again. Which means never as she is a special princess (I hope it is just temporary- wet food poop is the worst!) . It was a pricey week for kitties. But they are happier and way less fleas so they are doing well.

The Frontline is not working for the dog (and wasn't working before we started washing her once a week), so I am spraying her with a clove/peppermint flea spray every night before bed. No, the cats are not sprayed at all, and they don't get close to the dog so they are not exposed to it. I can't wait to get her on the Revolution too. I hope it works just as well.

In the meantime we are using DE all over the house- behind furniture, on floors, under dressers, on the lawn, the porch... as much as we can stand. I am leaving it to sit until we can buy a vacuum this weekend and vacuum it up. I will be buying even more DE and spreading it on the lawn before it gets mowed. Then spreading it again. I think that is where the most fleas are coming from. We were using the Sentry spray on the grass but it didn't seem to help after two applications. I am already seeing a small decrease in flea activity inside. Letting the dog out and then in... she is covered. Which is why the spray down at night.

August 9th can't come fast enough.

Hot Wheels Tracks
Jul 8, 2007

Did you or did you not go to town on my body with
Speaking of fleas and ticks, I keep seeing these insects in my house. I think they are biting my pets and myself. My dogs and cats all have that Trifexis stuff.

I don't think it is a flea or tick because it has wings. Is it some sort of mosquito? I don't see a proboscis on them. I don't even know if this is what is biting us.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hot Wheels Tracks fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 18, 2014

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Not an expert but that looks like some kind of ant drone to me.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

little tea pot posted:

We have currently put the cats on a medication (topically applied) called Revolution. It is SUPER great! We are finding only dead fleas on them when we flea comb them. The dog, however, has to wait until August 9th to get on it. She has to have a vet check for heart worms (we only recently adopted her) before she can go on it. The Revolution is working so great! Highly recommended if anyone is looking into it.

We took the allergic cat into the vet to get a cortisone shot and antibiotics and she is much happier. The other cat got a sick tummy the same week and had to see the vet as well. She got X-rays and IV fluids. Diagnosed with "upset tummy". She is now being spoiled with special wet food until she will eat kibble again. Which means never as she is a special princess (I hope it is just temporary- wet food poop is the worst!) . It was a pricey week for kitties. But they are happier and way less fleas so they are doing well.

The Frontline is not working for the dog (and wasn't working before we started washing her once a week), so I am spraying her with a clove/peppermint flea spray every night before bed. No, the cats are not sprayed at all, and they don't get close to the dog so they are not exposed to it. I can't wait to get her on the Revolution too. I hope it works just as well.

In the meantime we are using DE all over the house- behind furniture, on floors, under dressers, on the lawn, the porch... as much as we can stand. I am leaving it to sit until we can buy a vacuum this weekend and vacuum it up. I will be buying even more DE and spreading it on the lawn before it gets mowed. Then spreading it again. I think that is where the most fleas are coming from. We were using the Sentry spray on the grass but it didn't seem to help after two applications. I am already seeing a small decrease in flea activity inside. Letting the dog out and then in... she is covered. Which is why the spray down at night.

August 9th can't come fast enough.

I'm also in oregon and frontline never worked for me. I also switched to revolution about two years ago and I LOVE it. It seems you are only treating the cats though? You should put it on all of your animals.

Edit: nevermind! I just saw the heartworm test stuff.

Hot Wheels Tracks
Jul 8, 2007

Did you or did you not go to town on my body with

Kerfuffle posted:

Not an expert but that looks like some kind of ant drone to me.

Do ant drones fly and/or bite?

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Hot Wheels Tracks posted:

Do ant drones fly and/or bite?

Yes they fly when the males and new queens are looking for mates. This is typically breeding season too right now, according to my exterminator. Give or take a few weeks depending on where you are. As for biting I'm not sure, might depend on the species.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just bumping this thread because my gf is currently having a similar situation. She says she is vacuuming every day and she put Borox down all over to try and kill them. Is DE better than borox? So far the fleas keep getting stronger. Is a flea fogger a good idea? Her roommate has a cat and we're going to try to get it on flea medication asap.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Just bumping this thread because my gf is currently having a similar situation. She says she is vacuuming every day and she put Borox down all over to try and kill them. Is DE better than borox? So far the fleas keep getting stronger. Is a flea fogger a good idea? Her roommate has a cat and we're going to try to get it on flea medication asap.

Until you can get rid of the fleas on the cat, you're pretty much hosed as far as getting them out of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Knifegrab posted:

You really have to take care of it all in one go. The best thing is treating the cat and getting out of the house so you can let the flea bombs go for a good eight hours. I'm always paranoid about wiping everything down/washing everything really well because cats are so sensitive to toxins, but this has always worked for me in the past.

• Locked thread