Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
steroids or no?
give the steroids, paraplegia sucks
no way, sepsis sucks
View Results

• Locked thread
HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill
the current EAST recommendations and the last Cochrane review in 2012 (PMID:22258943)are both for it

however in the March supplement to Neurosurgery in 2013 the review committee comes out strongly AGAINST it noting lack of level one evidence and risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and overwhelming sepsis

obviously considering the horrible nature of quadraplegia and paraplegia in these patients it is tempting to want to do an intervention, but do the risks outweigh the benefits?

tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke

Cochrane library is great

Frank Horrigan

by Ralp
I thought Cochrane invented warp drive, not whatever this is :confused:

poverty goat

my dog had 3 ruptured discs in her spine a few years ago and was on heavy steroids for the better part of 3 months while I carried her rear end around in a sling on walks and she got better and regained all her mobility but she can only eat homecooked chicken and rice now so really it worked out well for her all around

SIDS Vicious

smoke weed every day

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Oil Can Boyd posted:

smoke weed every day

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
I don't feel super qualified to make these decision. I would maybe get 2 opinions but ultimately just go with whatever my insurance was willing to cover.

cruft

HUSKY DILF posted:

the current EAST recommendations and the last Cochrane review in 2012 (PMID:22258943)are both for it

however in the March supplement to Neurosurgery in 2013 the review committee comes out strongly AGAINST it noting lack of level one evidence and risk of gastrointestinal bleeding and overwhelming sepsis

obviously considering the horrible nature of quadraplegia and paraplegia in these patients it is tempting to want to do an intervention, but do the risks outweigh the benefits?

tia

I don't know, has this procedure been done much? It sounds like there aren't many case studies so it's difficult to form any sort of conclusion at this stage.

Machai

I never heard of the admin named Steroid, is he better or worse than Ralp?

cruft

I guess I feel like the current knowledge should be explained to the patient and/or their family, and they should make the call. I mean, hell, acute spinal cord injuries? Patient is screwed either way.

Personally I would go for it, become another case study, advancing knowledge is awesome.

HUSKY DILF

aggressively chill

cruft posted:

I don't know, has this procedure been done much? It sounds like there aren't many case studies so it's difficult to form any sort of conclusion at this stage.

there was lots of enthusiasm for it since 80s until the early 2000s but lately the intervention has been done less and less and most neurosurgeons when consulted wont do it for my patients

there were small studies done in randomized controlled fashion that showed some small improvement in ASIA scores but no difference in mortality or overall function even though some sensation and movement might be modestly increased

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

Oil Can Boyd posted:

smoke weed every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

HUSKY DILF posted:

there was lots of enthusiasm for it since 80s until the early 2000s but lately the intervention has been done less and less and most neurosurgeons when consulted wont do it for my patients

there were small studies done in randomized controlled fashion that showed some small improvement in ASIA scores but no difference in mortality or overall function even though some sensation and movement might be modestly increased

Ah, well, sounds like it may not be worth the risks then.

So there's my opinion, thanks for asking!

• Locked thread