Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Half-elves can be rather good in 4e, if you are into some at will stealing shenanigans. I think they may have been real good at some other things, like Diplomacy stacking. In 5e they are actually pretty good. They get a lot of the elf things, and while they don't get +2 to dex they do get more stat bonuses than anyone but a specific type of dwarf, or a non-variant human. They also get 2 skills, and I believe an extra language.

They are kind of like the Variant Human, but instead of getting a Feat they get +2 to Charisma and 2 extra skills, actually does Variant Human get a bonus skill, I forget off hand but if so then only 1 extra skill over Variant Human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
In case anyone was interested I am going to try and run a Gamma World style game using the 5e ruleset, vaguely. Recruit is here.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I do want to try TAAC, or try it again but likely use some of the optional classes, but man looking at the Warlock and those invocations are expensive. 2 con for Eldritch Blast, with each higher level invocation getting progressively more expensive, and you only restore 1 con after a Turn. So it takes awhile to recover. Still might be a bit more spammable than normal spellcasting classes, kind of.

The Gazetteers did add a bunch of stuff, but most if not all of the optional classes seem fairly different and more based off modern 3.5/4e classes/races.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah it went from something that I might be interested in if they got into gear and actually put out a good product, to uh this. I am honestly surprised at how many backers they have right now. I have to wonder how many of those backers actually playtested Morningstar. Because I was not impressed with what they had put together with using the relatively small, at the time and for now, rules for D&D5e but it is going to become a bloated mess for Pathfinder and I don't see it improving a whole lot. Then again who knows maybe their Kickstarter goal is a lot higher than what they were getting, or potentially getting, from WotC? Not sure how it could be, but I don't know the business.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Chaltab posted:

Bahamut is supposed to be both Platinum and a good guy right? Because that looks like an evil dragon with tin scales.

Yeah. Looks more Blue than Platinum, looks kind of evil, and rather uh thin and malnourished. That Tiamat looks nice and beefy, but Bahamut looks all stringy and starved. I think it would be better if he looked about as thick as Tiamat's body, and maybe with a more chrome-ish looking color?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
There is another thread, that is almost never used. It is specifically for PBP discussion of 5e though. It is stickied toward the top of The Game Room right now.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Have they put out release dates for it at all?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Blingdenstone also deals with Ogremoch, or more precisely Ogremoch's Bane. It feels like a lot of the adventures in the playtest, and going into the final release, have dealt with either Red Wizards or mentions of the Elemental Princes of Evil.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Ederick posted:

A handful of pages back someone wanted the playtest packet with the Sorcerer in it. Here you go, page 11. This is the August 13th packet.
http://www.speedyshare.com/6bJhv/081712-Classes.pdf

Hypothetical question just for shits and giggles. Is there a way to make having a large "spells" chapter containing most/all actions a decent option? Rename it to the more neutral sounding but still loaded term "powers", give each class a power list, cut down on the chaff and streamline it a bit? Instead of casting Bull's Strength, maybe there's a generic "Improve Strength" power that's available to Clerics, Barbarians, etc. Maybe Clerics get a class ability to target others with an "Improve X" power, while Barbarians get the ability to use them as a bonus action or multiple at once. Monks could get the same "Deflect Projectile" power to emulate that 3.5 feat, while a Dragon could use that as an aura to emulate hurricane-force winds from their wings. Classes and monsters can have different riders or additions they can add to these powers, or perhaps different ways to regain use of their Not Spell Slots in fights. In short, combining both 4E and 3/5E's systems together.

This packet is interesting for what it shows of the old version of warlock and sorcerer. The 12/17/12 packet on the other hand has an expanded version of the fighter, which seems way better than the current fighter. It also doesn't have Warlock or Sorcerer anymore, would have been nice to see the 20 level breakdown for those classes at the time when Fighter looked like this.

Some important points that may have been in the 081717 playtest, or may have been added afterwards and are in the 121712 packet. Martial Damage Dice, aka Expertise Dice, are a once per TURN resource, not per ROUND. This may have changed at some point and is a lot better than the current Expertise Dice that are daily, with a short rest recovery I believe.

The Fighter eventually gets up to 6 dice. Another thing is that in this version of the playtest no one got multiple attacks. Various maneuvers, that I think only the Fighter and Monk got in class, others could pick them up with a feat, could grant additional attacks for the cost of a Martial Damage Die. The Martial Damage Dice were otherwise rolled on a hit for additional damage. Monks could pretty much exchange one die for one attack with Flurry, while Fighters could pick up Whirlwind to attack all adjacent, and I believe some other options.

Fighters get Combat Surge 1/day at 11th level, it is kind of like Action Surge in that it gives you another Action. This could be bad if you have already used your Martial Damage Dice for that turn, but if you haven't then any Martial Damage Dice spent on that extra Attack have their results doubled. So lets say you attack, and maybe you miss or maybe you hit but didn't feel like spending your dice, then you Combat Surge to attack again and roll 2 Martial Damage Dice and get a 7, instead of adding 7 damage to your hit you would add 14.

The only classes in this playtest are Cleric, Fighter, Monk, Rogue, and Wizard. This was before Proficiency and so classes got a Weapon Attack Bonus and/or a Spellcasting Attack Bonus. Cleric was the only one that got both, and the Weapon one was real bad. All the classes except the Wizard got the Martial Damage Dice, as well as a Martial Damage Bonus that was applied to one weapon attack per turn on a hit. The Cleric had a reduced progression for both, maxing out at 4 dice and +5 damage bonus. The other classes, except Wizard that got neither, maxed out at 6 dice, and got +5 damage bonus at 5th level and up to +20 at 17th level.

Only the Fighter and Monk got maneuvers as part of their class at this time. The Rogue got some skill tricks instead, that relied on using the skill die that existed at the time.

This was a time when no class got extra attacks for a high level, instead it was focused on single more damaging attacks. Though the Monk was good at spreading them out into multiple weaker attacks. Hmm at this time it looks like the Monk could use Flurry of Blows to make one additional attack by spending 1 die, or 2 additional attacks by spending 2 dice. Spending 2 dice at level 17 means 3 attacks that can then use the remaining 4 dice for extra damage or some other maneuver. Rapid Shot allows you to spend a die to make a separate attack against 2 enemies that are within 10 feet of each other. Volley is better you spend dice equal to the number of targets you want to shoot, then roll to hit each of them. Whirlwind Attack is similar for melee against enemies within 5 feet of you. So the Fighter, or someone else who spends a feat to get one of those Maneuvers may be able to make more attacks than the Monk, but the Monk is the only way in this playtest to hit the same target multiple times.

Looking at the older playtest I think back then you got both more dice and bigger dice, I may need to check a packet inbetween these two. Also comparing the two, the 081712 packet does not have Parry. Parry is a really nice Fighter ability at 1st level that, if you are willing to spend your reaction, is just great at providing durability. It requires being hit by a melee attack while you are wielding a melee weapon or shield, and you can spend your reaction and as many Martial Damage Dice as you want, add up their results and reduce the damage by that much, if the damage becomes 0 then the hit becomes a miss.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 18, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay looked at some different playtests. 121712 had 20 levels, all classes except Wizard gets Martial Damage Dice and Martial Damage Bonus, though the Cleric has a slower progression. Only the Fighter and Monk have built in maneuvers, though the Rogue has something similar that uses the Skill Die instead. Unless I missed one this was the first packet with 20 levels. No Extra Attacks. Except through some Maneuvers but those are limited in targeting. Everyone except the Wizard has a Melee Attack Bonus, this is before a constant Proficiency system was used. Wizard has a Spell Attack Bonus instead, and Cleric has both but at a reduced pace. Also at the time the Monk capstone was that all their stats became 20.

111312 has 10 levels, same thing with a Weapon Attack Bonus and Spell Attack Bonus. Cleric starts at +2 for both and goes up to +3. Wizard gets +2 for all 10 levels on Weapon Attack Bonus, but otherwise gets +2 at start up to +5. The other classes get no Spell Attack Bonus but have a Weapon Attack Bonus going from +2 up to +5. Monk and Wizard get a bonus to Save DC starting at +1 and going up to +3. The Cleric's is probably a typo since it seems to start at +0 and goes up to +1. In this playtest it looks like your maneuvers are chosen based on the Fighting Style you choose, instead of being able to pick which ones you want at the Maneuver levels. Instead of Skill Tricks Rogues get Rogue Maneuvers, while Fighters get Fighter Maneuvers. Flurry of Blows is spend Expertise Dice to make additional attacks, the attack deals damage equal to the die rolled, with no bonus. Doesn't seem like it would be all that useful unless you want to spread damage around or your first attack missed.

102912 is pretty similar to the later 111312, except no Monk.

Going back to the future with 012813 playtest and the Barbarian is added. They get the full 6d6 Martial Damage Dice and +2 Martial Damage Bonus that the Fighter, Rogue and Monk get. They get Rage 2/day that slowly increases to 5/day and at 20th level goes Unlimited/day. They get bonus Rage Damage Bonus that starts at +2 and scales to +14. I believe that is per hit instead of per turn, but the Barbarian is not built for multiple attacks like the Monk is, or the Fighter can be when spreading the damage to multiple targets. Needed to take a Short Rest between Rages, but I think at the time Short Rests were 5 minutes or maybe 15. Back then Rage gave straight up resistance to Bludgeoning, Slashing and Piercing. Later iterations got rid of that, or limited it in some way. Rage gave advantage on Strength Attack Rolls and Strength Checks, and Relentless Assault was specifically for when you weren't Raging.

And the big change at 032113. Martial Damage Dice and Martial Damage Bonus are a thing of the past. In their place is Deadly Strike. This gives the more "combat" oriented classes, i.e. not Wizard and the Cleric gets a slower progression, an extra weapon damage die on a successful attack once per turn. So a 20th level cleric may swing a 1d8 mace with their 16 str, and if they hit do 3d8+3 while a Barbarian with 20 strength and using some great axe would be doing 5d12+5. These are just examples, I didn't look up the damage die size of the weapons or anything. Oh yeah Barbarians at level 10 heal 5 hp every round while Raging. This packet also introduced the Druid. The Druid already had a Choice between Oak, aka Land, and Moon. Doesn't look like it ever got above 5 wild shapes per day, and Moon just got better forms. It did not get all the MM, or future MM, as forms. It had specific forms at specific levels like fish, steed, bird, etc. With Moon getting actual battle capable forms, again specific forms with them improving as you level instead of just being MM monsters. I think this was my favorite version of the Druid's Wild Shape, though it would have been nice if Moon Druid's got more uses per day, or unlimited eventually.

Man that is getting long. Okay Fighters get Expertise Dice again! They are somewhere in between the old version and the current version. They start with 2d6, and eventually max out at 17th level with 6d6. Using one expends it until you take a short or long rest, which replenishes all of them, or if you are empty you can get 1 back by using an action. They pick an option from a list at various levels for things they can use them for, some are even kind of leaderish. Others allow them to get another attack in or deal more damage. At 5th level they pick a feature that is either ranged or melee that lets them attack two targets, gaining more targets as they level, maxing out at 5. Good for spreading the damage.

Monks don't have a feature that gives them a special Unarmed Strike in this packet, instead they have a feature that gives them a feat that gives them an unarmed strike. Not seeing a Flurry of Blows, though the feat they get gives them a light finesse unarmed strike that can be dual wielded.

Paladin also shows up in this packet, this was back when there were 3 options. Cavalier, Warden and Blackguard. Each with their own Channel Divinity choices, and each with a themed mount at level 8. I remember being disappointed in the later versions of Paladin in comparison.

Ranger was also introduced in this packet. Had 3 choices of "favored enemy". Each gives a bonus on lore checks for a specific group of enemies, grants a few features that give you extra damage in certain situations, and another benefit or two that fits the theme.

Rogues have an actual Sneak Attack now that is not just the same dice as others get, starts at 1d6 but scales to 10d8. Rogue picks a theme, each theme has a collection of abilities including one ability that gives them advantage on attack rolls in a specific situation. Assassin is for when attacking something that has a hostile creature next to it, like one of your allies. Acrobat if you started your turn at least 20 feet away before moving in for the attack. Rake is pretty much the opposite of what Assassin gets. Also Sneak Attack is a once on your turn when you make an attack that doesn't have disadvantage you can make the attack with disadvantage for the bonus damage. Which is kind of stupid.'

I think this is when Wizards first gained Arcane Recovery as a feature.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Is it just me or are all of the new races not following the current player race pattern? In the PHB almost all of the races get +2 to one stat then +1 to another based off subrace. One dwarf changes it up by having a subrace that grants a +2 instead, and human is different, but otherwise race tends to be +2 to one and +1 to another. All of these get +1 to two separate stats instead.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well after 10 years I might finally get to game in person. It is going to be 5e at 1st level and with rolled stats. Sounds like they are close to 2nd level though. It is a fairly large group at 8 people already and most classes are already represented. Sounds like they don't have a ranger or bard. That said they don't seem to be against doubling up. Rolled stats are 12, 13, 13, 14, 15, 16. Any suggestions?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

gradenko_2000 posted:

If it's going to be a oneshot kind of deal I would heavily suggest going with a Bard because a Ranger will have nothing specifically Ranger-y to do at level 1 besides roleplaying. At least as a Bard you already have your Bardic Inspiration and some spells.

12 STR 16 DEX 14 CON 13 INT 13 WIS 15 CHA

and then take Human to bump up the 15 and the 13s to the next modifier. If you're playing with Feats, the Human racial variant to get you a Feat is also an option: Magic Initiate, then the Cleric spell list, then the Guidance cantrip is a very Bard-y thing to cast.

I was tempted to go Bard, if I go Lore and if the game goes on long enough I could maybe throw in some Cleric of Knowledge and some Rogue for a bunch of skills/expertise. Not sure how long they are going to be running it, it sounds like they have played two or three times so far, and are near 2nd level.

If I went Half-Elf instead of Human I would miss out on the feat but would get one more skill and would have

12 STR 16 DEX 14 CON 13 INT 14 WIS 18 CHA

for stats. Or switch the Dex and Cha maybe.

I do want to try a skill monkey at some point but no idea how much focus on skills the game will have, or how long it will actually go.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So what do people think of giving Fighters a new "Archetype" that basically grants them the features the Fighter had in the 12/17/12 playtest packet?

Martial Damage Dice that start at 1d6, well at 3rd level it would be 2d6, and goes up at 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th level. Maxing out at 6d6 dice per turn, not round but turn. Giving them Combat Expertise, "Fighting Style, Maneuver and the Parry Maneuver, and another Maneuver all at 3rd level, with another Maneuver at 4th, 8th, and 10. And a 1/day Combat Surge at 11th level, 14th level, 17th level and 20th level.

Combat Expertise lets you add Martial Damage Dice to an attack, if you have any to spare after using them for a Maneuvers on that turn. Maybe include Martial Damage Bonus but with the extra attacks Fighters get now that might be too much, even though it is a once per turn on a hit thing instead of every hit.

A Fighting Style, not to be confused with the current Fighting Styles, is a list of maneuvers taken at certain levels. These also had background, specialty (which no longer exists) and equipment. Other than the Maneuvers these would be ignored, and one could probably just pick and match maneuvers without picking a specific style anyway, like you could in the playtest.

The Parry Maneuver allows you, when you are hit by a melee attack and wielding a melee weapon or shield, use a reaction to spend martial damage dice to reduce the attack's damage against you. Rolling all dice spent and adding them together to indicate how much the damage is reduced, and if the damage drops to 0 the hit becomes a miss.

This version of Combat Surge is a 1/day, eventually 4/day, take a second action like the current thing Fighters have at 2nd level. But it is per day instead of short rest, and any martial damage die rolled during the second action has its result doubled.

It seems like it would make the fighter more interesting, especially since it would allow a bunch of maneuvers all the time instead of like one or two per short rest, if you are lucky. The Parry would also make this Fighter archetype very tanky.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 18, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

PurpleXVI posted:

By this description it sounds like a great fix for some of the complaints I'm reading about the Champion(they only get to do one thing), by giving them some of the Battle Master's tricks. Hell, I think all Fighters, Rangers, Paladins, Rogues and Monks should have something analogous to maneuvers, with their archetype deciding their additional abilities, maybe some special maneuvers for their archetype only, and what sort of dice/how many dice they got to toss around.

In that playtest all classes except Wizard got the Dice, though Cleric got a reduced progression. Only the Fighter and Monk actually could use them for maneuvers without a feat though. Also at the time classes didn't get extra attacks when they leveled. Rogues got something different, using the Skill Die that was used at the time instead of Proficiency.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kai Tave posted:

In theory you could imagine that Martial Dice are supposed to be a sort of "stamina" mechanic (of course you could just as easily do that with 4E's exploits if you wanted) but the problem is A). the things that Martial Dice unlock for Fighters are generally underwhelming and B). the refresh rate on them is kind of garbage too.

Well the Martial Damage Dice I referenced, from an earlier playtest, actually refreshed per TURN. So you would have them on your turn, and on the enemy's. Of course this did mean that you could basically spam your maneuvers, or just use them for the damage boost.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
For those curious about what the Maneuvers were like for the 12/17/12 Playtest, that I had asked about converting that fighter's stuff into an Archetype, here are a few examples:

Bull Rush[
You throw yourself into a full-­‐fledged shove, driving your opponent across the battlefield. Effect: As an action, you can spend martial damage dice to push a creature that is your size or smaller away from you. Choose a creature within 5 feet of you. For each martial damage die you spend, you push the creature 5 feet away from you, and you move along with the creature along the same path.

Yes that means you can eventually just use an action and expend your 6 dice to push a creature 30 feet, no save. This ability is actually inferior to what the Monk gets, if I remember correctly. Still compare that to what the current Maneuver a fighter can get is like. Bull Rush is available to any one who can get Maneuvers. The next one, Composed Attack, is a Fighter Maneuver.

Composed Attack
You calm your mind and focus your effort on overcoming whatever disadvantages would cause your attack to miss. Effect: When you make an attack with disadvantage, you can spend a martial damage die to offset the disadvantage. Roll that die, and add the result to the lower d20 roll. This total cannot exceed the higher die roll. If you spend two martial damage dice, you don’t suffer disadvantage on the attack.

Glancing Blow
Even when you miss with an attack, you can manipulate your weapon to deliver a glancing blow.
Effect: When you miss a target with a melee weapon attack but your attack result is a 10 or higher, you can spend martial damage dice to turn the miss into a glancing blow, which is not treated as a hit. Roll all the martial damage dice you spend. The target takes damage equal to the highest die result alone. The damage is of the weapon’s damage type, but it delivers no additional effect associated with the weapon or the attack.

Speaking of what Monks get:

Hurricane Strike
Your extensive training in the martial arts allows you to hurl your enemy away from you.
Effect: As an action, you can spend one, two or three martial damage dice to hurl an enemy your size or smaller away from you. Make an unarmed melee attack. If the attack hits, it deals damage as normal, and the target must succeed on a Strength saving throw. If the creature fails its save, the effect depends on the number of dice you spent. If you spent one die, the creature is knocked prone and pushed up to 10 feet in a straight line away from you. If you spent two dice, you can magically push a creature that is up to one size larger than you, and the push distance can be up to 30 feet. If you spent three dice, you can magically push a creature that is up to two sizes larger than you, and the push distance can be up to 60 feet.

So it is combined with an attack, unlike Bull Rush, and costs fewer dice for a better result. That said unlike Bull Rush it does have a save.

Shove Away
Your attack drives your opponent away from you, sending them reeling.
Effect: When you hit a creature that is your size or smaller with a melee weapon attack, you can spend one martial damage die to push that creature 5 feet away from you. If you instead spend two martial damage dice, you can use this maneuver when attacking a creature that is one size larger than you.

And the Fighter version. Somewhere between Bull Rush and Hurricane Strike. Like the Monk's version it is on an attack, and like the general Bull Rush it has no save. However it pushes less than either, well once you have multiple dice at least. It can push a large creature, which Bull Rush can't.

At the time classes didn't gain extra attacks, so some of the Maneuvers allowed spending MDD to make extra attacks, such as Whirlwind to make one against all adjacent enemies, or Volley to attack all enemies in a 10 ft radius. Monk's got Flurry which let them spend up to 2 dice to make extra attacks, that could actually be against the same target. There were various Maneuvers to reduce damage by rolling dice. The Monk's speed bonus was a Maneuver that had you roll your dice and the highest number that came up on a die would be multiplied by 5', so maxing out at +30' on a good roll. Spending two dice on that also added the bonus of being able to walk along vertical surfaces during the movement, and three dice adds over water. Trip uses one to three dice, on a hit just knocks down the target, second die lets it work on one size larger than you, and two dice does the same and makes it take all movement to stand up. Spring Attack lets you make an attack then move 10 feet without provoking Opportunity Attacks. There are Maneuvers to add accuracy, ignore cover, or add 5' to your attack.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
What a Warmage taking the Dragon Lance War Mage prestige class? Or something else?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm that makes sense, and the War Mage prestige class was probably better for something like a Force Missile Mage that was all about throwing a bunch of missiles, because it had a feature that added some damage to each die of a spell or something. Something that was not tied to a stat, I believe, like the Warmage class, but also applied to more than one magic missile in a cast unlike the Warmage class's feature.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Welp got a recruit for a 6th level game, gave everyone the chance to pick an uncommon magic item, which of course vary wildly in power, then let someone pick a template in place of their magic item. Now it seems I will be inundated with half-dragons and werebears.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Aarakoca have flight, so long as not wearing medium or heavier armor, and a slashing unarmed attack. Deep Gnomes get the usual gnome advantage on Int, Wis, Cha saves vs Magic, but also get advantage on stealth in rocky environments, and 120 ft darkvision.

Hmm other than the stat increase I am not seeing much in the Genasi base race. Each genasi gets to cast at least one spell once per day, using Constitution. Two get a cantrip as well, again using Constitution. Air can hold its breath as long as it wants so long as it isn't incapacitated. Earth seems weak to me, Air is kind of meh but can at least hold its breath as long as it wants. Fire and Water seem better, both with the spells they can cast and having some resistance, Water's ability to breathe water and air is not quite as good as Air's hold breath but not that much weaker and it gets a bunch of other stuff Air doesn't.

So we got a ton of new spells, but no alternate class Archetypes? What?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Someone elsewhere, in IRC I believe, had mentioned wanting to play 5e Dark Sun. And I am all for that. There was also mention of just taking someone else's homebrew for it instead of building their own. And look what I found on the WotC Dark Sun forums.

Also Half-Giant Monk :getin:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yes please? Man a Barbarian with the Champion Fighter Archetype and Bear Totem Archetype would be nice. So please run a game where I can do this. Also Beastmaster Archetype for the Ranger would be much nicer on a class with another Archetype already.

Also hahaha a Fighter or Rogue taking both spellcasting Archetypes.

Though this does remind me, it is ridiculous that a Barbarian can't get Expertise in Athletics.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well played some 5e tonight. Got into an argument about a feat and the way reach works. Maybe I am mistaken. Since everyone still there at that time took the other side. I was under the impression that threatening reach didn't exist, having a polearm or whip did not let you make opportunity attacks at 10 or 15 ft away. That your reach, when you weren't attacking, was still 5 feet. And thus that Polearm Master gave an opportunity attack when someone moved from 10 ft away to try and get 5 ft away, not when someone 15 ft away tried to move 10 ft away. And thus I was under the assumption that I could go and hit someone, and that if they wanted to get close enough to hit me my feat would give me an opportunity attack, and not that I would have to move 5 ft away so that I was 15 ft away from them, to get the attack when they got within 10 ft of me again.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
When you say move into your reach do you mean moving from 15' away to 10' away, or from 10' away to 5' away? Because the feat does let you make an OA when someone enters your reach, the problem is dependent on what range your DM decides that triggers at.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay again thinking about ways to improve the Champion archetype of the Fighter, and while I like the idea pd0t, I believe it was, had about Fighters/Rogues/Barbarians/Rangers grabbing two archetypes from a specific list of classes when they grab their archetype, I have another idea.

This came from looking at the Gladiator, thinking man a fighter would like some of that, and trying to extrapolate and add it to the stuff Champion already gets. Also maybe add some other stuff just to fit the same kind of ideas.

So the Gladiator automatically deals an extra die of damage, would probably want to do that as the equivalent of a crit increase, like 2[W] from 4e turning a 2d6 weapon into a 4d6 instead of turning a 2d6 weapon into a 3d6 weapon. I am thinking of adding that to the Expanded Crit features. So an extra "weapon die" at 3rd level, and then another at 15th level, turning it into 3[W]. This would be in addition to the actual expanded crit range, and would make the expanded crit range all the better.

The Gladiator gets +10 Athletics, which looks like Str mod +Athletics Proficiency +proficiency again, so basically it seems the Gladiator gets Expertise in Athletics. Was tempted to add this to the 7th level Remarkable Athlete feature, which is like worse than the 3rd level Thief ability that is similar. But that didn't seem badass enough. So instead of Expertise in Athletics lets go Expertise in Strength. Period. Gain proficiency and Expertise in Athletics, and all other Strength Checks, also gain Expertise in Strength Saves, and Expertise in Strength based Attacks. Those last two don't normally have anyway of getting Expertise, but this would help setting them apart as really good at that kind of stuff. Still get the rest of the Remarkable Athlete stuff, for whatever good that does, and probably give them the ability to pick a new skill if they had Athletics already. This would also help fix the thing where a high strength Bard or Rogue is better than a Fighter, or Barbarian, at Grappling and Shoving.

Stuff I am thinking about maybe adding, but not sure and not sure what level I would add them if I did:

The Gladiator has Multiattack that lets them get 3 melee attacks or 2 ranged attacks, was tempted to give them an extra attack if all their attacks for the round are melee, but not sure what level I would give them that, if I was to give them that at all. Could be at the 10th level feature, but then Fighters get a 3rd attack at 11th level already.

One of the Gladiator's attack options in melee is a Shield Bash. Lets them attack with a shield, for 1d4 base damage, 2d4 with the Gladiator's feature, and force a DC 15 Strength saving throw on a medium or smaller creature hit or be knocked prone. This would be a pretty cool feature, though it would lead them toward a shield and spear/one handed weapon build, while the extra die on weapons feature would lead them toward big two handed weapons.

The Gladiator also gets a special Reaction called Parry that uses a Reaction to add 3, so probably proficiency, to its AC against one attack by a creature it can see. This feature does require the gladiator be wielding a weapon. This would be another nice feature that would be nice to add in to the Champion at some point, but not sure when.

Any ideas?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

winterwerefox posted:

Im starting a 5e game, all the players and DM are new to the system. Looking at a Human Barbarian and I have had decision paralysis for a few weeks. The DM is letting us get a free feat, plus a bonus feat for being human. We come from a Pathfinder background. Ive a few ideas to work from, but again, to many ideas.
First Idea
Heavy Tanking
Take heavy armor and heavy armor expert. Get DR 3 plus half damage when raging. Use a shield and weapon. Pull my dex to 8 or 10 and boost mental stats. Str 18 to start

Doesn't work. You lose a lot of features in heavy armor, including the resistance to damage while raging.

quote:

Dual Wield
Take Dual wield and tavern brawler. Be able to walk into a room and beat folks with a bag of potatoes and a chair.

Works as far as I can see, not mechanically strong perhaps, but flavorful and actually works.

quote:

Shield Aegis
Take Resilient with Dex, and Shield Expert. Gain Advantage to dex saves, and evasion, in addition to shield bonuses to dex saves.

Well I have no idea where you are even getting some of this stuff. Nothing there gives you advantage to Dex Saves. Nor is there an actual Evasion. Shield Expert will let you spend a Reaction to gain a pseudo evasion when targeted by a Dex Save. It also grants Shield bonus to Dex saves, but only on ones that target you and only you. Again nothing gives advantage on Dex Saves. Resilient will give you Proficiency in Dex Saves, which is nice but not the same as Advantage.

quote:

Grappler
Tavern Brawler and Grappler
Great Weapon/Polearm
Use a halberd and put the hurt on at reach.

All look appealing, does anyone have any other ideas on what would be effective and i should look at?

I uh ... what? I have no idea how you think this works? Tavern Brawler can let you grapple when you hit with an improvised weapon, but you are talking about using actual weapons.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay yeah at 2nd level you get Danger Sense. You are going to probably want Dex for your AC, since heavy armor is bad for Barbarians and Barbarian AC unarmored is Con+Dex. So getting Proficiency in Dex Saves, and yeah Advantage from your class, surprisingly don't see any mention of losing Danger Sense while in heavy armor, would be pretty good.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So are the Duergar and Variant Half-Elves the only races? The variants kind of like the variant human? Or actual variants for representing half-elves with different elf parents?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Not sure if there are any, I haven't found any yet, except this one with like 11 classes for a "Modern 5e", not sure how good they are, it sounds like they don't get specific archetypes, but have a list of archetypes you can choose from despite class and that all of them get archetype features at the same level, and in some cases you might have to choose between class feature and archetype feature. This last is the only really questionable part.

Don't know the quality, but there is a Faceman that Proficiency to AC when wearing light armor or less, Protagonist abilities that they start with 2 and get one more at 5th and each multiple of 5. These include things like picking an Int, Wis or Cha skill and doubling Proficiency, they can choose this option up to 3 times, gain more languages and more as you level, gain resistance to psychic, get a way to impose disadvantage as an action, get advantage on wis or cha saves, etc. Gets an ability score increase/feat at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th levels, though the chart also shows one on 6th level. Gets a few other features, but the big ones are the protagonist abilities. They do get a 2nd attack, at 17th level, and at 20th they gain proficiency in all tools.

There is a Martial Artist. It gets to choose between Dex and Str for attacks, Dex gets to use its reaction to attack someone that misses them, Str gets well basically Brutal 1 from 4e, also if they roll the max on the damage die they get +1 damage instead. They do 1d4 for unarmed so uh okay. They get Martial exploits at 1st, 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 16th and 19th level, can forego archetype selection at 3rd to gain more martial exploits at those levels. Some exploits are Back Control to give yourself cover when grappling something, with a chance for attacks that miss you to hit your grappled target, and you can take it a 2nd time to improve it,; Bone Breaker lets you add Str and Dex to damage when using a melee attack against a target you are grappling; Bulldozer gives you advantage when trying to shove a target and the shoved target is pushed 10 feet instead of 5; C-C-Combo Breaker lets you use a reaction to attack someone that has hit you 2 or more times in a turn and if your reaction attack hits it ends that opponent's turn; there is one that lets you follow someone that moves away from you albeit as a reaction; one gives advantage with grapple checks; another lets you hit another target when you crit one; Marker makes it so when you hit something with a melee attack it has disadvantage against any attacks that don't include you until the beginning of your next turn; Knockout Power can be selected up to 3 times, each time it increases the damage die size of your unarmed attack. Gets the same number of Extra Attacks as the Fighter, though the 3rd attack is at 10th instead of 11th level.

Other classes include things like Gunslinger, Heavy, Grounder and such. Mostly focus on guns and stuff.

There is a Marshal class though. Gets some auras, start out at 10ft, increasing at various levels to eventually be 20 feet at 13th level. Can have multiple auras up at a time. Each aura looks like it has a constant effect, and a named boosted effect that lasts 5 minutes and then cannot be used again until after a long rest, they also look like they can be selected multiple times to improve them. An example is By Example, allies in range have advantage on Con, Wis and Cha saves, Exemplary Example is the five minute boost and all allies in range also gain a +1 bonus to AC and again once used it cannot be used again until after a long rest, then there is the Tier 2 if you select By Example a 2nd time, if you do then allies in range also gain advantage on Int and Str saving throws so pretty much all but Dex saves, and it also increases the Exemplary Example bonus to +2 AC for the five minutes. There is an aura to reduce fatigue levels, an aura that causes enemies to treat area in it as difficult terrain, an aura to allow allies in range to re-roll natural 1s on their damage rolls, an aura to reduce damage taken by 1, and an aura to grant a +1 bonus to attack rolls. Can sacrifice your own action to give an ally an extra attack, either as a reaction on your turn, or as an extra action on their turn. Can also swap your initiative order with another ally. They get Team Presence at 1st level and every fourth level after, they do various things like giving an ally an attack on an enemy that crit another ally, or granting all allies +5 speed for a turn if you move more than 20ft on your turn, use an action to move all allies, granting allies bonus damage to the last enemy you hit, etc. At 2nd level can spend an action to grant wis mod+1/2 level as a bonus to damage on an ally's next hit, at 17th it becomes a bonus action to use. Allies get a bonus to hit the last thing that hit you, at 9th you get a 2nd attack, and at 20th level you gain 1d4 natural 20s per long rest that you can replace an ally's d20 roll with as a reaction.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah it is kind of hard to set the Fighter apart as something worthwhile, still kind of like the idea of trying to expand the Champion archetype like I had previously posted.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay again thinking about ways to improve the Champion archetype of the Fighter, and while I like the idea pd0t, I believe it was, had about Fighters/Rogues/Barbarians/Rangers grabbing two archetypes from a specific list of classes when they grab their archetype, I have another idea.

This came from looking at the Gladiator, thinking man a fighter would like some of that, and trying to extrapolate and add it to the stuff Champion already gets. Also maybe add some other stuff just to fit the same kind of ideas.

So the Gladiator automatically deals an extra die of damage, would probably want to do that as the equivalent of a crit increase, like 2[W] from 4e turning a 2d6 weapon into a 4d6 instead of turning a 2d6 weapon into a 3d6 weapon. I am thinking of adding that to the Expanded Crit features. So an extra "weapon die" at 3rd level, and then another at 15th level, turning it into 3[W]. This would be in addition to the actual expanded crit range, and would make the expanded crit range all the better.

The Gladiator gets +10 Athletics, which looks like Str mod +Athletics Proficiency +proficiency again, so basically it seems the Gladiator gets Expertise in Athletics. Was tempted to add this to the 7th level Remarkable Athlete feature, which is like worse than the 3rd level Thief ability that is similar. But that didn't seem badass enough. So instead of Expertise in Athletics lets go Expertise in Strength. Period. Gain proficiency and Expertise in Athletics, and all other Strength Checks, also gain Expertise in Strength Saves, and Expertise in Strength based Attacks. Those last two don't normally have anyway of getting Expertise, but this would help setting them apart as really good at that kind of stuff. Still get the rest of the Remarkable Athlete stuff, for whatever good that does, and probably give them the ability to pick a new skill if they had Athletics already. This would also help fix the thing where a high strength Bard or Rogue is better than a Fighter, or Barbarian, at Grappling and Shoving.

Stuff I am thinking about maybe adding, but not sure and not sure what level I would add them if I did:

The Gladiator has Multiattack that lets them get 3 melee attacks or 2 ranged attacks, was tempted to give them an extra attack if all their attacks for the round are melee, but not sure what level I would give them that, if I was to give them that at all. Could be at the 10th level feature, but then Fighters get a 3rd attack at 11th level already.

One of the Gladiator's attack options in melee is a Shield Bash. Lets them attack with a shield, for 1d4 base damage, 2d4 with the Gladiator's feature, and force a DC 15 Strength saving throw on a medium or smaller creature hit or be knocked prone. This would be a pretty cool feature, though it would lead them toward a shield and spear/one handed weapon build, while the extra die on weapons feature would lead them toward big two handed weapons.

The Gladiator also gets a special Reaction called Parry that uses a Reaction to add 3, so probably proficiency, to its AC against one attack by a creature it can see. This feature does require the gladiator be wielding a weapon. This would be another nice feature that would be nice to add in to the Champion at some point, but not sure when.

Any ideas?

Maybe making Parry and Shield Bash, and some other options, dependent on what Fighting Styles the character has. Or maybe giving them a feat for each Fighting Style they have, like P.d0t was just mentioning. About to start a recruit, tempted to use the above houserule for a Champion Fighter if anyone selects it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay just posted my recruit, and threw in a bunch of fighter houserules, including the Grunts/Leader archetype, P.d0t's idea of giving Fighters bonus feats based off Archetype/Fighting Style, and a vague outline of my improving Champion archetype, though if someone wants to select that I am going to have to finalize it to specific levels before they get to 3rd level.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

goatface posted:

Rename level 3 level 1 and do all the others accordingly. Levels 0 and -1 can be the masochist options.

This is what I was hoping they would do when they talked about apprentice levels, but they didn't. And doing this now makes multiclassing awkward.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Kurieg posted:

So the newest Unearthed Arcana is out. Talks about Modifying base classes. There's a spellcasterless ranger and a new sorcerous origin that tries to replicate the Favored Soul. Though all you really need to hear is "Gives sorcerers healing spells".

Sadly they don't go far enough with these, the spellless Ranger is a nice start but its spellcasting is a lot less important compared to other classes. Would have been nice to see a spelless Druid. And the whole thing doesn't really seem all that helpful in trying to make alternate class features or anything like that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay so was working on my recruit, and because someone was thinking of playing a champion fighter with my changes I fleshed them out, though haven't figured out what to expand the 18th level feature with.

Ryuujin posted:

Okay there was some questions about the Fighter houserules so I will go in more detail. Also I am allowing the Spellless Ranger variant and Favored Soul Sorcerer Origin if you want to try them out.

----

Fighters
Okay first and foremost all Fighters gain a Feat at 1st level, and any other level where they gain a Fighting Style through the fighter class. No they don't get more feats by multiclassing Paladin or Ranger.

The Feat they get should reflect the Fighting Style, or possibly their Background or future Archetype.

Second all Fighters gain another Feat at 3rd level when they select an Archetype.

The Feat they get should reflect the Archetype, or possibly their Background or Fighting Style.

Third a new Archetype and Fighting Style are open to Fighters. The Leader Archetype, and the Leader Fighting Style, the Fighting Style does little if you aren't a Leader Archetype though.

Fourth I am making major changes to the Champion Archetype. It keeps pretty much all of its features, but they are expanded.

Some suggestions for the various Archetypes and Fighting Styles:

Champion: Athlete, Charger, Grappler, Tavern Brawler
Battle Master: Actor, Inspiring Leader, Skilled, Lucky
Eldritch Knight: Mage Slayer, Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper, War Caster
Leader: Alert, Dungeon Delver, Healer, Inspiring Leader, Keen Mind

Archery: Crossbow Expert, Sharpshooter
Defense/Protection: Shield Master, Sentinel
Two-Weapon Fighting: Dual Wielder
Great Weapon Fighting: Great Weapon Master, Polearm Master, Savage Attacker
[Any]: Defensive Duelist, Tough

Improved Champion Fighter
3rd Level Improved Critical+mproved Damage
Keep the Expanded Crit Range at 3rd and 15th level. But add an increase to damage, like the Gladiator's Brute feature. At 3rd, and again at 15th level, the Improved Champion gets an extra weapon's worth of damage on each Melee attack. A 1d8 weapon does 2d8 at 3rd level and 3d8 at 15h, while a 2d6 weapon does 4d6 at 3rd and 6d6 at 15th.

This makes them the best at melee damage, kind of, and synergises with their own expanded crit feature that otherwise was fairly anemic.

7th Remarkable Athlete+Remarkable Strength
Keep Remarkable Athlete as is except for the part of using half proficiency on non proficient Str checks. This is because Remarkable Strength grants you Proficiency and Expertise in all Strength Checks, including Athletics where you can pick a new skill if you already had proficiency in Athletics, also grants Expertise in Str saves, and in Str attacks. Something that no Expertise feature currently grants.

This is an expansion of the Gladiator clearly having Expertise in Athletics, and a Fighter being worse at Athletics than a Bard or Rogue. It also helps with being accurate and hard to stop with Str saves.

10th Additional Fighting Style+Improved Fighting Styles
Okay keep the second Fighting Style, and with the other changes to Fighter means yet another themed Feat. Improved Fighting Style grants something a little extra to each of your Fighting Styles.

[*]Two-Weapon Fighting: If you are wielding a weapon in each hand, you can make 2 attacks with the offhand weapon as a Bonus Action
[*]Great Weapon Fighting: Brutal 3, reroll all weapon dice that show up as a 1,2 or 3 until they show a 4 or higher when wielding a two-handed or versatile weapon two-handed. A Critical Hit with such a weapon in two hands stuns until the ends of your next turn.
[*]Protection: Gain a Shield Bash attack when wielding a shield. Shield deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage as base, before other Champion features adjust it, and hitting with the Shield Bash forces a Str save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here.) Failure on the Save knocks the target prone. You can make a Shield Bash as a Bonus Action, and/or you can use it in place of any of your normal melee attacks with the Attack Action. A Critical Hit with the Shield Bash causes the Dazed condition, until the end of your next turn.
[*]Archery: Your Improved Crit Range is doubled with Ranged Weapon Attacks. Critical hits with Ranged Weapon Attacks now inflict Restrained condition, until they use an Action to remove the arrow, or succeed on a Str save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here.) Reminder that neither Improved Damage nor Remarkable Strength are used with Crossbow or Bow attacks.
[*]Dueling: Dueling Bonus damage is now increased to +2+Proficiency. Can now make an extra attack with a Bonus Action. Critical Hits under the same conditions that the Dueling Bonus damage is granted now inflict a Bleed. Each round until they succeed on a Con save DC 8+your Str Mod+Proficiency (do not double proficiency here), or receive a Medicine check beating that same DC, they bleed for an amount of damage equal to your Dueling Bonus Damage.
[*]Defense: When wielding a Melee weapon, or shield, can use your Reaction to add your Proficiency to AC against one attack against you made by a creature that you can see. You are immune to critical hits. When a creature would crit against you it is instead a normal hit, and no extra features that trigger off a critical hit are triggered.
[*]Leader: If you somehow gain the Leader Fighting Style, which is less useful without the Leader Archetype, all numerical bonuses are doubled.

AlphaDog? posted:

When you choose this archetype at third level, gain a number of grunts equal to your proficiency bonus. This number increases with your Proficiency bonus. See "Grunts", below.
Replace your Fighting Style with "Leader" (see below)
Gain the use of Formations, detailed below. You can use one Formation per turn.
Some of your Formations require the target to make a saving throw. The DC is 8 + prof bonus + Str or Dex mod, your choice
At 3rd, 7th, and 15th level, you (your grunts) gain proficiency in an extra skill
At 7th level, you can do some stuff involving using your grunts as scouts, see battlemaster 7th level ability.
At 15th level, when you roll initiative and have no unexhausted grunts remaining, one of your grunts becomes unexhausted.

Grunts

After you use a formation (ie, once the effect ends), one Grunt is Exhausted and can no longer be used.
Exhausted Grunts can be refreshed, one per short rest, all per long rest
Your attacks can originate from yourself or from any of your Grunts. If you have multiple attacks, each one can originate from a different grunt, the same grunt, or yourself.
Each non-exhausted Grunt can make an OA using your to-hit and damage rolls.
Attacks on Grunts count as attacks on you. Damage to grunts counts as damage to you.
Grunts have your movement rate, saves, AC, etc.

Fighting Style: Leader

At the start of each combat, decide whether your and your grunts gain
1: +1 to attack with ranged weapons
2: +1 bonus to AC
3: +2 bonus to melee damage rolls.

Formations:

You must have at least one non-exhausted Grunt in order to use a Formation. You may use one Formation per turn e: round.

Hold The Line:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all melee attacks against you and all allies adjacent to yourself or a grunt. You and your grrunts have Advantage on saving throws to avoid being tripped, grappled, knocked prone, or moved.

Outflank:
Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies and grunts gain advantage on melee attacks against opponents who have at least two of your grunts/allies adjacent to them.

Seize Them:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to a grunt is restrained. Every size L creature adjacent to at least two grunts is restrained. This lasts until you use another formation or until all restrained monsters are no longer restrained, then exhausts a grunt. STR save as an action for monsters to break the restraint.

Push Them Back:
Every size Medium or smaller enemy adjacent to at least one grunt and every size Large enemy adjacent to at least 2 of you or your grunts is pushed back 10' if they fail a STR save. You and your grunts can follow them without provoking OA.

Massed Charge:
AS an attack action, you and your grunts move up to your movement rate, and then make a melee attack with advantage.

Evasive Maneuvering:
Any enemy attacking you or your Grunts gets disadvantage on their attack roll, as long as you and your grunts have moved on your previous turn. You gain Disadvantage on all melee (but not ranged) attacks. Lasts until another formation is used, then exhausts a grunt.

Defensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have disadvantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to enemy OA, but cannot attack.

Offensive Maneuvering:
Until the start of your next turn, enemies have advantage on all attacks against you and your grunts. You and your grunts are not subject to OA, and gain advantage on all attacks.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Might be hard to make Michael Haggaran without the werebear template. That said it looks like it is literally no better than the FREE Roll20. Unless you pay hundreds of dollars I guess.

For Roll20 I do use Macros, though each game is fewer and fewer macros, especially if the players aren't actually in roll20 and I am just using it to keep track of some stuff and make maps.

For one game I made 100+ npcs. Each with full macros for attacks, and all this other information. I did save some time by using copy paste sheets a lot, but it still took a lot of time and effort. That said it was nice when running the game because I or a player could just click a button and get all the rolls done.

For the Champion Fighter and their ability to jump ever so slightly further, that is pretty funny that it counts as versatility or exploration pillar. Because it ends up being basically the same thing as the Thief Rogue gets, except it is worse in ways and is gained 4 levels later. Also it is still hillarious that a Fighter will never be better at a Bard or Rogue who decide they want to grapple or shove. I mean yeah the Battle Master Fighter can every so often use a superiority die to try and pull something off, but the Fighter will never be better at Athletics than a Bard or Rogue who decide they want to focus on it.

This is, in part, why I tried to pump up the Champion Fighter. Admittedly I still kept the feature at 7th level since I wasn't moving things around and just adding a little something extra to each Champion feature, except the 18th because I couldn't think of anything for it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

quote:

Plus, we have another sorcerer option on tap for that article series.

Okay could always use more options.

quote:

We’re doing some monk design right now that used the Way of the Four Elements as an option, so we’ve shifted that future work in response to that feedback.

Uh. While the Way of the Four Elements needed work, shifting work from future stuff to do it might mean missing out on more interesting options.

quote:

Like with the first wave of class feedback, things remain very positive.

This has to be positive spin, how can feedback actually be very positive?

quote:

The changeling will likely have its ability scores and Shapechanger ability tweaked.

Okay, it needed work.

quote:

The shifter scored well, so expect a few shifts there (pardon the pun) but nothing too dramatic.

This seems unlikely. The Shifter, like all the race options in the Eberron packet were terrible.

quote:

The warforged had the most interesting feedback. I think we’re going to take a look at presenting a slightly different approach, one that ties back into the original race’s armored body options to make them feel more like innately equipped characters.

Maybe we will actually get subraces for Scout, regular and Juggernaut versions. Or at least unarmored, normal, mithril and adamantine body options.

quote:

The artificer still needs a good amount of work, so that one will go back to the drawing board.

That actually sounds like the thing that is going to go through the most changes.

quote:

I expect that you’ll see some revisions to the Eberron material before the end of the year.

Before the end of the year? Shouldn't that be before summer?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I actually said something about that in the end of the survey, that these surveys were basically worthless and tell them nothing.

Meanwhile in other news someone on EnWorld has a Dragon Player Characters homebrew. And there are races and classes on DnDWiki. Including a Tager class.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man they are allergic to making actual D&D 5e style race stat adjustments for these Unearthed Arcana races. Except Human the stuff in the PHB tends toward +2 to one stat and +1 to another, with a few exceptions that get better than that. But it seems like pretty much all of these Unearthed Arcana races get +1 to two stats.

Also Mariner is pretty awesome, and actually a Fighting Style that is useful for classes like Monk and Druid should the character Multiclass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yes. Also apparently the adventures have QR codes that you can scan and fill out a survey for how you dealt with certain things, did important NPCs die, get saved, captured, etc. How did you deal with this, did the town burn, whatever. And those would presumably end up determining how later adventures would be written. If most killed an NPC or let them die, then they probably aren't showing up in later adventures.