Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

goatface posted:

and if left alone and untended they forget their orders and start murderous rampages as they revert to following the malign power that drives them

TBH this is pretty much how it goes at the factory where i work already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Look, just because some people use these things as a weapon of unbridled horror, and if left alone and untended they forget their orders and start murderous rampages as they revert to following the malign power that drives them, there's no reason why we shouldn't have a skeleton treadmill in the basement, Margaret. It can drive the ceiling fans, power a grain mill, pump water, churn butter. All those little jobs we hate so much.

Yes, I know we've never needed ceiling fans, our water comes out of a natural spring and we've always bought our bread and butter from the shop. Dear, you're just not seeing the potential...

Now I want to run a setting where the use of Necromancy as a form of perpetual motion machine has exhausted all magic from the world. A lesser person would just run some boring Frankenstein gothic steampunk with tesla coils and skeletons on treadmills everywhere.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Elfgames posted:

TBH this is pretty much how it goes at the factory where i work already.

Does your factory have a permit for it's skeleton powered treadmill?

First Bass posted:

Now I want to run a setting where the use of Necromancy as a form of perpetual motion machine has exhausted all magic from the world. A lesser person would just run some boring Frankenstein gothic steampunk with tesla coils and skeletons on treadmills everywhere.

The party play as a group of skeletons who break free from the treadmill and seek to overthrow their oppressors using an army of skeleton elephants.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
See also: golems in Discworld.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

thespaceinvader posted:

See also: golems in Discworld.

"Golems must not hurt people....unless ordered to do so by a duly constituted authority"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Heffer posted:

Wouldn't it be better to armor plate the ribcage and build yourself a fort inside its chest?

Personally, I was wondering whether you could fit a [skeleton] horse inside an elephant's rib cage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A massage chair just made out of animated skeleton hands fixed to a frame.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

My buddy is writing a level 1-20 campaign for Next. Is necromancer Wizard still the go to option?

They are pretty funny but any flavor of wizard is good, a focus on enchantment (if you arent fighting thingsi immune), Transmutation or necromancy are the Best picks In my honest opinion (what with my PHD in Skeleton Squad Tactics)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

Personally, I was wondering whether you could fit a [skeleton] horse inside an elephant's rib cage.

With a loading dock out the back like a cargo plane. Attach floaties to the skelelephants and use them as troop transports for your skeleton Normandy beach invasion. Thank God for skeleton edition.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

First Bass posted:

This reminds me of the Wavyhill story from Larry Niven's "The Magic Goes Away" series.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Would an aoe hit a skeleton horse stored inside a skelephant?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

First Bass posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

First Bass posted:

More importantly, would an aoe hit your unborn fetus if you're sitting inside your skeleton elephant armoured transport.

Wait, does a fetus have a skeleton?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

That's up to your DM.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

Barring magic, ~13 weeks into the pregnancy for humans. As for non-human races such as elves and dwarves,

AlphaDog posted:

That's up to your DM.

Rulings, not rules!

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I have a question about how to handle a Stealth-roll in 5e!

We have a rogue who enjoys stealthing and keeps asking me (the DM) about spots where to hide. When he is stealthed he gains advantage on his attacks.
When he rolls a stealth-roll he has to beat the Passive Perceptions of monsters in a room to be "hidden" (but not invisible), so if an enemy is hitting on the fighter he can "sneak" up behind to deliver a stabbing.

My question is: How to I give him feedback on his stealthroll?

Do I tell him that he beat the passive perception of all the monsters in the room and now gains advantage on his rolls (No one noticed you appearing from behind the overturned table), do I say it as he approaches a monster (the Bugbear changes his stance to be ready for a blow from behind), or do I just keep it a "secret" until he actually strikes the monster (No, you don't get to roll your advantage die because the bugbear noticed you)?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

thespaceinvader posted:

Probably, but there's no reason whatsoever why 'skeleton army' necessarily equals evil. That's a product of this world's values about death and dying, not the values of a world that evolved in a situation where a sufficiently learned men can make zombies clean the sewers and skeletons fight in the army so that people don't have to.

Seriously, just think about a world that has a mandatory draft, but it's after you die. Your bones serve the sorceror king for a period not less than three years after your demise, and are then interred in a place of honor. People who join the army voluntarily can choose to serve while yet living or volunteer for more advanced necromantic processes (like being a mummy or something), either of which provides greater recompense to your living family.

Good guy skeleton army of egalitarian societal justice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable

I'd say it's a certainty.

And as for stealth, I've seen it both ways - the monster turns and attacks the rogue crawling up behind him, or it doesn't bother but does keep an eye on the rogue and no one knows until it's time to roll damage. It's one of the things that makes playing rogues really hard.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I don't see why you couldn't tie in place or mount your skeleton crossbowmen directly onto the Skelephants, creating a terrible monstrosity of fused bone. This would give the skeleton crossbow users clearer fire lanes, and directly improve their mobility. Plus I am pretty sure you could fuse 10 or so human skeletons to a Skelephant like some kind of horrific crown-roast, and/or just tie them to stakes that are then fixed in place into the Skelephant; they wouldn't need legs, just torsos, heads, and arms, so they could pivot 360 and have a full range of firing.

This significantly helps on bringing multiple skeletons into a dungeon environment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Seriously, just think about a world that has a mandatory draft, but it's after you die. Your bones serve the sorceror king for a period not less than three years after your demise, and are then interred in a place of honor. People who join the army voluntarily can choose to serve while yet living or volunteer for more advanced necromantic processes (like being a mummy or something), either of which provides greater recompense to your living family.

"Crazy Harry's House of Reanimation! Bring in two dead grandparents and get 25% more bucks for your bodies! All corpses considered, we'll even buy your legless uncle! Due to a ongoing shortage of halflings needed for skeletal scouts, we now offer 20% more than the base government rate for your deceased children!"

"All corpses must be proven to be related to the seller and not to have died in suspicious circumstances. Offering to sell unrelated corpses, murder victims or fake bodies may result in your body and soul being gifted to a Devil. Qualifying children must be under 4 feet tall and possess all limbs. Offers may not available to families suffering hereditary osteoporosis."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lamquin posted:

I have a question about how to handle a Stealth-roll in 5e!

We have a rogue who enjoys stealthing and keeps asking me (the DM) about spots where to hide. When he is stealthed he gains advantage on his attacks.
When he rolls a stealth-roll he has to beat the Passive Perceptions of monsters in a room to be "hidden" (but not invisible), so if an enemy is hitting on the fighter he can "sneak" up behind to deliver a stabbing.

Do I tell him that he beat the passive perception of all the monsters in the room and now gains advantage on his rolls (No one noticed you appearing from behind the overturned table), do I say it as he approaches a monster (the Bugbear changes his stance to be ready for a blow from behind), or do I just keep it a "secret" until he actually strikes the monster (No, you don't get to roll your advantage die because the bugbear noticed you)?

Don't keep information like this secret. Let him know as soon as you do, there's no sense in hiding stuff just because, especially when the stuff you're hiding controls what dice he's going to be rolling.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Depending on how much an elephant's ribcage can hold, it could definitely be used as an "armored" troop transport. Skelephant runs through enemy lines and the troops it's holding drop off directly behind it to take advantage of the shock and awe and take out anything the skelephant has not yet trampled

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lamquin posted:

Nothing else in the fight is a secret, why would this be? Archers shouldn't know the distance in feet between them and their target and fighters shouldn't know how many attack of opportunity they made recently. Don't latch on to one weird little game interaction for the sake of realism, rogues got it bad enough.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'm pretty sure you can't hide while in combat by the rules. I don't have the relevant rules here but I know we found it when figuring out stealth for our rogue.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Victorkm posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't hide while in combat by the rules. I don't have the relevant rules here but I know we found it when figuring out stealth for our rogue.

This makes no sense given Hide is specifically noted as an action you can take on your turn.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kitchner posted:

Also elephants can carry a poo poo ton of weight but presumably aren't very fast. So I was trying to work out if an elephant can carry enough weight to strap a war horse to the side of it. That way if you need to chase someone you just detach the horse and get on it.

Have any of you read Zombies, Spaceships, and Wastelands by Patton Oswalt? This sounds like the time (back when he was a kid) his friend strapped a skateboard to his bicycle because he thought that everything should have an escape pod.

But hey this is the hobby that came up with the peasant rail gun, so as far as ideas go it's pretty par for the course and WTF, D&D?! as all get out, so I endorse it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Generic Octopus posted:

This makes no sense given Hide is specifically noted as an action you can take on your turn.

True, but thems are the rules.

The best part is that you cannot emerge from hiding to sneak attack in combat unless there is a reason for the monster to be distracted specifically.

Next has the worst stealth rules I have seen in a game.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ocrumsprug posted:

True, but thems are the rules.

Not really. As far as I can tell the hide rules absolutely let you hide mid combat. If y'all are talking about ambush/surprise that's a different thing, but you can pretty plainly hide by following the Hiding rules on pg 177 PHB.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theironjef posted:

Nothing else in the fight is a secret, why would this be? Archers shouldn't know the distance in feet between them and their target and fighters shouldn't know how many attack of opportunity they made recently. Don't latch on to one weird little game interaction for the skeletons of realism, rogues got it bad enough.

So are you ok with the rogue knowing he isn't hidden in non combat situations too? That dramatically changes how the character would be played.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So 5e Eberron stuff.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-eberron

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

So Artificers are a Wizard archetype and Dragonmarks let you cast a couple spells per day? Okay then.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

mastershakeman posted:

So are you ok with the rogue knowing he isn't hidden in non combat situations too? That dramatically changes how the character would be played.

Thief's Lightgem was a fantastic idea and I have no idea why people still think 'I have no idea if I'm visible here' is a necessary element of stealth.

Like, one of the great innovations in the original Thief games for PC was the simple fact that your footsteps let you know how audible you were and the light gem told you how visible you were, letting you plan and act accordingly. I don't see why it wouldn't work for an RPG and it would also make it a lot easier to resolve these rules.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 2, 2015

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Is it just me or are all of the new races not following the current player race pattern? In the PHB almost all of the races get +2 to one stat then +1 to another based off subrace. One dwarf changes it up by having a subrace that grants a +2 instead, and human is different, but otherwise race tends to be +2 to one and +1 to another. All of these get +1 to two separate stats instead.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Is it just me or are all of the new races not following the current player race pattern? In the PHB almost all of the races get +2 to one stat then +1 to another based off subrace. One dwarf changes it up by having a subrace that grants a +2 instead, and human is different, but otherwise race tends to be +2 to one and +1 to another. All of these get +1 to two separate stats instead.

I guess that's their way of "balancing" things like Shapechanger and Shifting and Composite Plating.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Lamquin posted:

Well, my standby is the old "You've been spotted!" followed by starting combat with a surprise round routine.

I usually run with the logic that part of being a trained sneak is knowing when you've been spotted, so I would tell the player right away. You can give the feedback a bit of flavor - "As you close to striking distance you realize they've spotted you. You won't have advantage if you attack." etc. Mechanically it makes sense to me that moving up the target is a discrete action for which you get feedback and that you make the decision to attack based on that information.

On the other hand, it can very occasionally be cool to have the "The ninja spins around and raises their guard at the very last moment - it seems they knew you were there all along. You don't have advantage." But this is kinda making the PC themselves surprised by the target, which I don't think is the intent of the rules1. Still if your players are okay with it as a rare dramatic moment its good.

This makes me think of something I'd never considered before; having a sentry use Stealth as a mechanic to prevent opponents from realizing you've noticed them, but not to visibly hide. But then I'd find it amusing to tell a player "You know that they know that you know that they know you're there."

1. But what the hell do I know, I like this rule set, but it requires an active DM. Just reach an agreement with the player and be consistent. You're not running a tournament with strangers after all.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Dragonmarks are tied to mental stats, so they're most useful to classes like the Wizard, Cleric and Druid and least useful to classes like the Rogue or the Fighter.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Night10194 posted:

Thief's Lightgem was a fantastic idea and I have no idea why people still think 'I have no idea if I'm visible here' is a necessary element of stealth.

Like, one of the great innovations in the original Thief games for PC was the simple fact that your footsteps let you know how audible you were and the light gem told you how visible you were, letting you plan and act accordingly. I don't see why it wouldn't work for an RPG and it would also make it a lot easier to resolve these rules.

You have to rework the rolling aspect in that case because otherwise any rogue would repeatedly leave the area and restealth over and over until he knew he wasn't seen.
Which honestly I'm fine with because my only time playing a rogue was a disaster of poor rolling, but it does change things significantly.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Hey. I'm pretty familiar w. 3.5, but starting.g a 5.0 campaign. Tips on builds for a shabby rogue with a con artist character concept loosely based on the gentlemen bastards series?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Dragonmarks are tied to mental stats, so they're most useful to classes like the Wizard, Cleric and Druid and least useful to classes like the Rogue or the Fighter.
It's way more verisimilitudinous this way, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Changelings seem so broken.