Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean assuming you haven't done this already the correct move is just sit them down, possibly separately and say "Hey, I understand you're very committed to the idea your character would have nothing to do with the party's current goals, but we're playing a game together and if you want to be able to participate you either need to help me find a reason why your character would go along with everyone, or you need to make a character who does want to go along."

Also maybe find out if this is a more roundabout way of this player expressing that they're not enjoying the current path the game is taking and maybe see if something can be done to work that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Is there any good reason to take regular human over variant human?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

:rip: :911: Warlords :911: :rip:

edit: Realtalk I just want martials to be more able to just declare things as true the way casters do. Like there's a lot of spells that would work just as well as an ability a martial character has. Things like Jump and Knock and such. Why can't a fighter just say "I jump really fuckin' far" or a rogue say "I open the lock gently caress you". Even the rarer stuff like instant death spells that say "if a thing has less than X HP, it's dead". It's already an effect explicitly for just casually executing weak enemies, so why can't a fighter, without rolling damage say "Oh you're a chump, I chop your head off gently caress off". Some martials already do get a little bit of that, like monks, for all their own issues, get to just do stuff like just run up walls or across water without a check and get a save-or-die ability eventually.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 23, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

NachtSieger posted:

Fighters had this, as well as Damage on a Miss.

Grognards complained so loudly and vociferously (and so much in alignment with Mike "shouting arms back on" Mearls) that it was changed.

I know, I played 4e. I still weep openly as I run my fingers over the warlord page in my PHB.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I once was in a demo game at Gencon playing a dude's own personal setting with (poorly) modified Savage Worlds rules. He opened by telling us how good and also weird the sex was between one of the pregen characters and some alien girl NPC that I think had vagina-tentacles? There were some kinda tentacles involved, I dunno. I found an excuse to leave as soon as I could.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Frankston posted:

Hello guys, me and a group of friends are newbies to D&D and I was hoping for some clarification on the monk's unarmed strike as me and the DM aren't really sure about something. Do I still get the dex bonus for unarmed strike if I use it as a bonus action? Right now we're all low level so my main attacking strategy is to whack 'em with my sword and then follow up with an unarmed strike as the bonus action. Up till now my DM has said I don't get the dex bonus if I use it as a bonus action but 1d4 seems like a pitiful amount of damage.

You do, there's nothing special about bonus action unarmed strikes. They're just unarmed strikes but you get to do them as an unusual action type.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad that to this day they never altered the face of the Dreadnaught so every time I look at it I just see a cacodemon. Thank you Id for ripping off your influences in style.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

See, all this "goblins/orcs are evil and are always evil murder them" talk is why I was real happy when I noticed that Volo's in the section about kobolds threw in some fluff about communities sometimes having understandings with local kobolds where they have the little buggers dig them tunnels and sewers and stuff and they let them live in their little burrows under the city where it's safe. Why can't they touch on peaceful interactions with the other monster races? Why can't kingdoms hire orcish mercenaries and stuff instead of them always, exclusively, being marauding savages that burn and kill everything they encounter. Also makes it so they don't have to keep dancing around the way half-orcs are made if people can get along with orcs.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I dunno it's never been an issue for me because as far as alignments go in games I run, mortal beings are basically never inherently evil. Only demons and supernatural poo poo ever has a hard-coded alignment. You still get to fight orcs because hell, orcs can be assholes, but no more so than human bandits and marauder type dudes.

Semi-related question that sprung into my head: Why is it that all tieflings can speak Infernal despite a lot of tieflings just being... dudes. Like do tieflings actually use demon-speak in day to day conversation?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Maybe codifying your character's personality, worldview and morals into two words on a 3x3 grid isn't feasible.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean Drow are evil by default but you can play them. They're only evil because they live in a corrupt xenophobic society that worships Lolth. Gnolls worship Yeenoghu and demons and poo poo. The only difference I see is that Drow are pretty and weird hyena people aren't.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I saw someone say Bugbears as a player race are overpowered. Is this true? I like the idea of being a huge, beefy rogue who still manages to be a sneaky fucker.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah holy poo poo I was just kinda "a Bugbear would be fun" and now I want to play one more than anything

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean Shadowrun exists.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The correct answer to "my character would do (massively counter productive thing)" is "then make a different character"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

CeallaSo posted:

One solution I found (which, admittedly, I haven't had a chance to test at the table since no one at my table has counterspell) is to require the character casting counterspell to describe the manner in which they counter the spell within a short time frame, like 10 seconds or so. You explain what the spell does, and they have to come up with a believable effect that would undermine and counteract that effect. So for Fireball, which fires what is essentially a tiny firework that erupts into a fiery explosion, might be countered by the appearance of a hovering globe of water, which contains the blast and evaporates into a harmless cloud of steam. Or they summon a spectral head, which literally eats the spell and expands comically when it goes off, vanishing shortly thereafter. Encourage players to get creative with it.

That said, definitely talk to your players about implementing this sort of change before doing so, since not everyone is interested in that level of improvisation in their game. And be willing to let someone swap out Counterspell immediately if they're okay with that being how the spell works but are no longer interested in using it.

I also like putting my players on the spot to allow them to use their character abilities. Ask me about requiring people to convince me of something before they're allowed to roll on any sort of social check.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

User0015 posted:

We're about two thirds through ToA, and the only real racist caricature is Nanny puu'puu or however you spell it, which appears as an old woman tribal witchdoctor. If there's anything else like characterizations or book instructions that are racist, our DM has either taken it out or it hasn't really come up in our adventure.

A better question is why a jungle island is full of furry cat people. They should have all died from heat exhaustion at least.

As we know there are no cats that live in hot climates.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Reik posted:

Taking away choice in an effort to idiot proof a system usually makes the system worse.

I also love where instead of presenting me with two options that are both viable, the game presents me with 10, 2 of which are viable.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Allowing someone to make a blatantly worse choice in their character does not become viable at any table. It doesn't matter if the game isn't geared toward optimized characters, making challenges and events in your game well balanced toward characters that are just objectively worse at doing things than other characters is only shifting the burden of actually balancing your drat game on the GM to fix your game for you. It also makes it so that any player who makes even the barest of optimal choices like "putting ability scores in the right place" just... better than other people in the group, which sucks for both the player who now feels like they're upstaging everyone, and the rest of the group, who is being upstaged.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No, the wisdom bonus is already factored into those numbers. The bonus you get on a skill roll is your stat bonus + your proficiency bonus if you're proficient in that skill. The +3 on your perception is the +1 wisdom and the +2 proficiency.

Edit: The dot next to the skill means you're proficient in that skill.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As a D&D player how do I convince my friends that loving kobolds and thinking they're cute lil fuckos and the absolute best is objectively correct so they stop making fun of me. My kobold love is not perverse kobolust.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Josef bugman posted:

If it is any comfort I agree that Kobolds are cool. I would like to see a game entirely set around kobolds attaining dragonhood though.

I haven't gotten around to doing it but I have wanted to play a kobold sorcerer or some such thing for a little kobold who decides he is a miniature dragon and he's gonna prove it.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Deekin was the best. The fact that (spoiler for old rear end Neverwinter Nights expansions but whatever) he's the only one who can't betray you to Mephistopheles cements him as the best character ever.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Firstborn posted:

Isn't that the cool v word all the nerds use? I think for immersion sake, physics still generally work despite elves and wizards so that we can all relate to the game. There are games where they don't, I guess... but ... don't have your fighter jump a canyon. You will plummet because gravity is still a thing in fantasyland.

The problem is that someone doing literally magic is ok and can simply be declared but jumping a little farther than is technically feasible is impossible, and even jumping a long, but completely reasonable distance is like a 50/50 shot at best

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well you see the problem with big hulky guys jumping far is that there's only one kind of strength in the game. Let me tell you about my new system that breaks strength down into its true, 23 constituent parts.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yo anyone got any resources for lore on Warlock Great Old One patrons? 'Cause I been playing Cultist Simulator and I think it's about time to read too many books and go insane.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well I meant more official sources but those are pretty good ideas! Shouldn't lock myself down to D&D fluff because most of those don't do cosmic horror type critters well. I don't like the examples given in the section in the warlock pages in the PHB anyway because the ones they give are rarely strange alien beings that can't be understood but are usually just like "kind of obscure evil god". I kinda miss the Star pact stuff from 4e where a lot of them were just like, weird celestial bodies and poo poo.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm currently having the age old dilemma of picking a character option that is more optimal and an option that is more rad. Why must life be so cruel.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Our GM in my current game is playing without flanking rules for that exact reason, though the impetus given was just that our game is kinda large so he didn't want us to have flanking 100% of the time either.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

For the drow once per day stuff if your look at the errata it corrects it to "once per long rest" so yeah they just forgot to correct a few instances. More specific examples though I have no idea.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was looking at Warlock stuff and I'm still super disappointed that the Great Old One "Create Thrall" ability is more like "create friend you have on speed dial." Who the hell calls an ability Create Thrall but gives you no actual control over the person. They can straight up just tell you to gently caress off after you do it, you just get advantage on convincing them to do things, and they just can't try to kill you I guess.

Edit: Not to say it's not useful because hey having someone permanently charmed can be used but "thrall" implies "I'm mind-controlling you idiot"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I might buy those even though they're a bad deal because I don't actually own physical copies of any of them and goddamn those are pretty.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Amazon is doing Prime Day, Amazon employees are striking, people are choosing not to support Amazon in solidarity with employees.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

tote up a bags posted:

See when I was playing 4 I would agree with you but in 5 it just seems a lot easier to say "alright well it's athletics because you're wrenching something off the wall" and maybe a splash of dex roll to see if you can pull off the move to get the curtain to land on them. Am I missing something here because I feel that would be a fair way for a DM to do it?

I love when people say that about 4e because at the very least 4e included a chart of "hey if someone tries something you didn't plan, here's a chart of DCs appropriate for different levels of difficulty, and here's some appropriate damage values if someone does something that should hurt but isn't covered under basic attack/a power." I mean they weren't good but they made an ATTEMPT.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

That new box set. Is there a name for what that product is even called? I can't find any information about it anywhere other than in this thread.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I love D&D and enjoy playing it quite a bit. Enjoying something doesn't mean you can't be critical of its (admittedly many) flaws.

Edit: And also be extremely salty about the number of babies thrown out with bathwater from 4e because a bunch of very vocal morons online poisoned that game. Where's my warlord Mearls?! That game did a lot of things right along with a bunch of things wrong and rather than correct for that they swung hard back into 3.5 except they kept like the skill system, and put a couple of limitations on spellcasters I guess. (The changes to feats I think are good and cool though, mostly.)

Glagha fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 17, 2018

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nephzinho posted:

My table rule is "don't ask me if you can do something, just roll" and the DC/results scale accordingly. Sometimes they go way off the rails, but usually it just results in them failing DC25-30 checks for punching down a stone door or charming a tree.

I'm the exact opposite. I find it extremely annoying when I'm like describing something to someone and someone just jumps in with
:rolldice:: "I got 23 on my perception."

Why? What are you looking for? Don't just roll dice and shout numbers at me I haven't even finished yet like tell me what you're doing I might not even make you roll.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Section Z posted:

I mean, 4th ed has it's own flaws

Oh hell yeah. I still like 4e better than 5e but like, I can bitch about all the flaws in that game. It's just that the actual flaws are never the ones that get brought up. I can talk about bad math, feat bloat, trap choices, and !skill challenges! any day. But instead it's always about how powers somehow stifle creativity and roleplay or how the fact that there isn't an option to put 4 skill points into underwater basketweaving means that every character is the same.

Anyway I like how feats are nearly gone in 5e (but still present and still having a good number of them that are just better than others and making you spend the same resource on combat effectiveness and non-combat versatility but whatever) and martial characters get to do fun, actually good things even if spellcasters are generally better just by merit of having magic.

Still mad about Warlords though. Put out a fuckin' book Wizards.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I mean the answer to that is gently caress grognards, adapt or die. Also there's literally a paragraph in the AD&D PHB saying "HP is not literally your meat points, it is an abstraction of many factors that decide when an attack will kill you" so they don't even have an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey I'm in a Hoard of the Dragon Queen game, as a player not a DM. I heard people complaining about HotDQ at some point but I don't remember why exactly. Could anyone explain their problems with it (preferably spoiler-free since I am actively playing in it).