Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

What's the story on this? I stopped following RPG development completely for about 6 years and this would have been right in the middle of that time.

As far as I understand it the Tome of battle classes did... terrible things when combining their recharge mechanics with casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Reading through the spells beast bond seems pretty useful, telepathy with an animal you charmed or friendly + advantage if you are next to a bad guy, catapult is ripe for "Creative use" (fling an object 5lbs/spell level 90 feet in a straight line).

Dust devil makes a great corridor blocker too.

Skeleton squad just got better too, wizards can snap bad guys out of the air to remove hit and run with Earthbind (Str save or flight speed is reduced to 0 and you start falling 60 ft a round).

Better news, you can now enchant your skeleton squads arrows with fire, extra D6 of damage per arrow for 12 arrows for a 3rd level slot.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

In D&D it's really hard to splash for flavor, that was probably what they were thinking.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Kylra posted:

Has anything major changed since NEXT released?

Well they did Improve skeletons with the DMG

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, the 3E feats in the core book were pretty representative of the overall utility of them, which makes sense since most feat designers probably used them as a guideline for power/functionality.

The ideal feat, in my mind, is one that has as little "passive" effect as possible. It should always be one that lets you do something new, not just let you do something old better, though modifying the effect of something you can already do is also viable(like, say, I don't know, if you can already disarm, then a feat to upgrade disarming to breaking weapons/armor would be pretty cool).

The problem with that is when feats actively curtail action, like the pathfinder feat that implicitly means you can't do the old "Act like your cuffs are too tight to get the guard to come closer"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah that's the feat, Gnome only If I remember correctly too.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It might not help with Internet Grognards, but it would go a long way when talking to my friends, who seem to simply not have noticed the issues and keep asking me for specific examples which is when I have memory blanks. Even if it doesn't convince, it should help them better see where I'm coming from anyway.

The Skeleton Zone didn't convince because they think I'm really stretching the rules, for example.

Yeah as Octopus said the bone zone as fun as it is to talk about 1 rounding a dragon with your skeleton army just point out how much damage and tankiness 2 castings of animate dead a day give you, it takes 3 spell slots (about 12 spell levels of it) to do more damage and have more HP than a same level fighter

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I like "The spells copied into a spellbook must be of a spell level the wizard can prepare." So a wizard RAW can't have you know a cool spell he is researching/ wanting to learn later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Remove rolling to hit, make damage ranges your variance in fights (which is in essence what rolling to hit does just with a probability spike towards dealing 0 damage) Similar to how advance wars combat works as an example. Did I just do better?