Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mastershakeman posted:

It's still cool for enemy casters to cast flesh to stone on you though, right? Especially if they teleport in while invisible and flying.

Can't do that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

No, you can't. In the basic rules they'd have to teleport in while invisible and Power Word: Kill you instead. But they can't be flying at the same time.

They would also have to be level 17 know were they are going (Or the Teleport could send them far far off target), and make sure that the enemy they are wasting their only 9th level spell slot on has less then 100 hp. In fact if you are trying to assassinate an enemy leader in this scenario there is massive chance of this missing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 10, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
5e gives away part of it's rule set.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We kind of need monsters before we can judge High Level play for 5e as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Correct it's just Evoker, Necromancer, Transmuter and the like. Oh and all of them will probably have the "School Name" Savant ability.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

S.J. posted:

then why didn't he put that in his game

It's a thing called errata. It will probably be put in the next update of Basic or he could say it's the DM's call.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Father Wendigo posted:

Hey Chumbo, here's some Fun Facts you failed to mention:

-Cleric made a goddamned joke out of combat encounters.

-Rogue, Fighter very capable of doing things like 'existing,' getting kills when the Cleric or Wizard were kind enough to let them take down the mortally wounded.

-No really, the Cleric straight up made a goddamned Goof out of the combat encounters, Turn Undead or no.

-Rogue in particular stood out as a very compelling class with features like 'extra Xd6 of damage,' 'succeed on skills that offer no gain besides flavor text,' and my personal favorite: 'having an archtype that could only use one-half of the three different the three different abilities it gets during the entire adventure.'

-Turn Invisible followed by Time Stop and Call Meteors is a legitimate strategy.

-Just read the thread, because you do not understand that Cleric was literally a walking apocalypse that could also heal.

-Having someone play by phone posting is a completely legitimate way to balance the Wizard; doing so almost puts them below the power level of a cleric.

-Turn Invisible followed by Time Stop and Call Meteors was not enough to even down the Cleric.

I don't think you actually know how this works. That or you just glanced and never did any research.

Also you do know the classes are not balanced to fight each other. (Though a Fighter will probably kick a level 17 clerics rear end. And vs a Wizard it's really who ever goes first.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 11, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh thought he was talking about the edition. In this case it's because Dead in Thay is not a very good adventure and it's using outdated rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chrisoya posted:

Then why are DMs encouraged to use the PC rules for enemies?

Do you mean giving monsters class levels in that case it's to make enemies harder. I just said they were not balanced that way not that it can't work.

An Ogre with 3 levels of Fighter is going to be a deadly threat due to the high hp second wind and expanded crit range.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chrisoya posted:

Not really giving monsters class levels, just... having an elf wizard as the bad guy, or an evil cleric. This is standard D&D territory, an expected and suggested use of the classes. They should be designed with that in mind, or alternative ways of handling NPCs should be provided, like in 4e.

Well a level 4 Wizard called the Evil Mage in 5e has been marked as CR 1. I don't know his stats exactly but he is not quite the same as a PC of the same level. Honestly we have to wait for actual monsters to come out before we can really tell how this works.

ritorix posted:

Oh yeah and my Cheat Sheet is updated to the Basic rules for anyone that is actually going to play 5e. 1 page with all the actions and conditions and stuff.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7n5bpadgZz4OVlwRENHOUwwQ1k/

This is pretty cool.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
LMoP is still a pretty cool adventure however.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

P.d0t posted:

So here's a thought.

Would it make any loving difference at all, in 5e, if you let casters pick any Spellcasting ability they want, from INT/WIS/CHA? It seems like it might only benefit Paladins and Bards; everyone else, it would just let you be good at whichever skillset you want from those three.

Well it would completely change around their skills and saves. Generally it's flavor and the fact that pretty much everyone would pick Wisdom as out of the 3 it has the most saves applied to it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We will learn in Auguest. So far the Starter set is all we have to go on for monsters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140714

Some news about the Monster Manuel. They wanted to cram as any monsters with as much info and art to do them all justice. However they found finding themselves needing to cut stuff to fit in the book. Their solution make the book bigger.

32 more pages have been added to the book and it's staying the same price.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think level 20 characters will be fighting level 20 enemies at all times as well. (They even said they have less high level then low level enemies.) As the level 20 guys guys are like Balors and the Terrasque.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack the Lad posted:

Mearls wrote a whole thing on encounter design and managed to say, in essence "I dunno, make it up. Or don't, that's good too."

Also, I think anyone saying that a system shouldn't be expected to provide a DM with the tools to design an encounter appropriate to a party of a given level is completely and utterly wrong.

That seems like a very blinkered point of view to me. There has to be provision for people who have never DMed before.

Not really he just said these are guidlines and you don't have to use them if you don't want to. They are also not final and the DMG version will likely be different.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
CR in this edition is a you must be this tall to ride sign. If the party is not the level of the CR then the Monster will likely easily kill or maim at least one member of the party.

The Party level is the same level as all members of the party a party of level 2s would be a level 2 party. So throw monsters that are CR 2 or less at them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

treeboy posted:

So i take it you're supposed to average the player levels to get the party level rather than add them together? But to create the encounter you need to add the CR of all the creatures for the total challenge of the encounter and compare that to the average level of the party?

yeah that makes sense

No read the article it has a handy little chart. The XP value is for balancing encounters not the CR.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

treeboy posted:

it still feels a bit convoluted between figuring out xp budget then using CR to judge whether a monster "fits" with the group or not

Opposite I think. Use CR to figure out what you can use then use XP budget to balance the encounter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Misandu posted:

He outs that they did a bad job when he describes the Ogre though. So at level 1 a CR 2 enemy will wipe the party, but by level 6 I'd wager a CR 7 enemy will be trivial for anything resembling your average party. That's even assuming that enemies of the same CR are even as threatening as each other. Really I think CR is just going to end up being ported directly from 3.5 where it didn't really mean anything.

He does not say it will wipe the party just that it has a high chance of killing a party member easily. From the look of the CR 8 Dragon compared to the Orge they get more deadly at a good rate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I for example is really loving the look of it nd given that I played and had fun I can say it's a good game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goldjas posted:

The CR system sucks and as a DM that has DMed a ton of 3.x and 4th edition,the fact that the game uses CR again pretty much completely kills any real motivation I have to DM the system. I know I probably will end up DMing the game at some point, but I know that to do so I'll have to memorize how strong each monster ACTUALLY is and figure out how the game ACTUALLY works, and change monsters CRs on the fly just like I had to do with 3.X.

You do know the only reason they did not use Level was because they did not want to use the term level a 3rd time. Did you read how the CR works and have you seen the monsters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem with Next has been the unrelenting laziness that's pretty extreme even for this hobby. Every response Mearls makes when asked why a feature is missing or why the math doesn't work as been "Well that's for the DM to change!" Any chance and any opportunity to pass the buck is taken. It's become more and more increasingly clear that the bare minimum of work when into this game as more news comes out and more questions are asked. The whole thing has that "homework done on the bus" taste. Beyond that, Next has nothing new in it. Nothing in Next is interesting. Even it's more hardcore proponents brag about it being "familiar" more then anything else. It's biggest tagline has been "everyone's SECOND favorite D&D." It's all just sad rehashes of past editions desperately churned out by old people desperate to not feel old.

But it's fun and that's what matters more.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ritorix posted:

5e monster level and CR are also two different things. Level is just their hit dice, so like an ogre is level 7. 7d10+21 is their listed hit dice (fighter hit dice, and 21 is their con bonus of 3 times level 7). 5.5*7+21 = 59.5, rounded down to 59 is their listed HP. The system does have a certain sense to it.

The actual "this monster is going to murder your entire loving party" threshold is about +3 CR over the party level, about the same as 4e solos. In the starter set, the dragon is CR8 and the max party level is 5. So yeah that was on purpose.

Correct. Though the Party is not really meant to beat the Dragon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goldjas posted:

CR and monsters seem completely arbitrary again, see the Ogre being talked about on this very page, or the Evil Mage or Bugbear talked about earlier. If you can prove this to be false I will be a good deal relieved, but the examples being thrown about on this very page are proving it otherwise.

The Ogre is fine. The Bugbear and Evil Mage alone are just as much of a threat to a level 1 party as the other both are around the same threat level and ok for the status of CR 1. They just preform different roles

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jul 15, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
http://trapdoortechnologies.com/beta/ Anyone interested in Project Morningstar can sign up for the Beta.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be fair the Cleric there was pure luck. But Clerics are a good class though nowhere near as powerful as they used to be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DalaranJ posted:

Hold on, what? This was a part of the game that I thought Next would surely improve over 3rd/4th. What took so long?

My guess is custom Backgrounds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Generic Octopus posted:

To be honest, much as I like 4e, anything I can do in that system can be done with greater simplicity and ease in DW. Then trying 5e after playing in DW for a few months was like getting punched in the face with tedium and poor balance. Doubt my friends & I will bother with D&D in any form again (still like 4e for pbp though).

Did you use the latest rules for 5e?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was talking about this

quote:

game came out today in AUS (multiple places in Melbourne had it). None of the WoTC places had it till today.

Played the first part of the adventure. The cleric was man of the match, constantly hitting when the fighter, mage and thief would all miss, and when they would hit, the cleric would roll max damage that round instead. Both her spells were needed to heal the thief from 0 hp. Hopefully part 2 will involve some role playing with NPC's and some operational choices. It took 90 minutes or so to make characters from scratch as we read the rulebook, and finished the final fight of the 1st part in 3.5 hours. One of us was completely new to roleplaying, and I don't think the 1st part is a particularly good introduction though

This was largely due to luck. He was hitting and getting max damage all the time. I had a similar case in my game (but it was the Rogue instead.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

Oh lordy. Just got the starter set.

Spells in stat blocks need to die in a fire. There's too drat many monsters with them.

3? Because there only appear to be 3 and two of them are just Wizards.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dwarf74 posted:

Yes, 3/15 or whatever is too drat many. Hell, 1 is too drat many.

3 out of 26

Covok posted:

What exactly do you mean by "spells in stat blocks?" Are you referring to the monster simply having spells or how it's formatted?

The former I bet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's Personally not a big deal to me (If you don't memorize them you can always write them down as well) as the ones in the starter set have pretty simple spells that are rather easy to remember. Besides there won't be nearly as many monsters with spells in the statblock as their used to be.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Its math is hosed in all sorts of ways

How is the math screwed up. I am not an expert but I don't see how it is. I won't talk about the rest of your post because I am tired and honestly don't have time to write a bit response right now.

Also they stated that they were not going to use spells in monster stat blocks unless the creature was a caster. (My defense for caster stat blocks is that they have much more veristily then other monsters and it does not bloat the stat block as much as showing everything would. )

Anyway I am overall tired of this thread as well. I will post news and stuff here but until the players handbook comes out I won't be posting as much. It's kind of needed for us to fully judge the game anyway.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 16, 2014

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We don't know. I really want Agust 8th to come so we can not use outdated stuff for the argument.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

So what's your excuse going to be, then?

There won't be one if I like it I will simply argue in it's favor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gort posted:

It's a pretty bad class design. As others have said, you take the powers you like the most at level 1, and from that point onwards each power you get is one you wanted less than the last, since they were all available right from the start. A better design would be to have better powers become available as you gain levels.

Well we don't know 100% sure that will be the final design as the info is from outdated material. It's likely but not 100%.

Anyway even if it does stay largely the same it's not a bad subclass.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OtspIII posted:

You can get away with not using a grid pretty easily, but I strongly suggest using minis pretty much no matter which edition of D&D you play. You can cut away worrying whether an enemy is 15 or 20 feet away without too much pain (just have a consistent way of handling edge stuff like burning hands spells), but you still really need to be able to answer basic questions like 'is the goblin right in front of me or 50 feet away?', 'do we have any glaring gaps in our front line?', and 'are there any bunches of enemies begging for a fireball?' without it just devolving into the GM deciding whether or not to gently caress you over this time.

I guessing quite a few people do it this way but my way is grid for combat and areas combat is likely to take place in. Theater of the mind for the rest generally with an overview map of the area.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack the Lad posted:

Okay, there's an argument to be made about the simultaneity or otherwise of readied actions.

Readied actions are obviously only one of many things you can do to kill a Polymorphed dragon, though.

Level 8 (since the Dragon is CR8). You raise 4 at a go with a 4th level slot, so raise/raise/rest/raise/raise/rest/raise and save a slot for Polymorph. You can also save 2 slots for Polymorph and go with 16 skeletons.

While in the middle of doing this a gang of monsters attacks you while your resting destroying your skeletons. Or the Dragon goes before the Wizard and turns all of the skeletons into mush with his breath weapon.

There is also the fact that if the Necromancer is taken out his skeletons will just rip apart anything alive thats near them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack the Lad posted:

Yeah, you generally have a ton of prep time before you go to fight a dragon. So you hit up some cairns or graveyards or whatever. Assuming you don't already have the materials - personally, if I were a necromancer, I'd cart around a whole bunch of skeletons (disassembled for easy transport) and just raise them as needed.

What if you don't know you are going to fight a dragon. Dons't animate dead require an expensive materiel component as well.

Poly Morph will likely be a concentration spell and the Dragon will probably get a save each round.

PeterWeller posted:

Isn't the starter set green dragon basically a regular rear end monster for a level 8 party?
This is true as well.