Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glagha posted:

Are there any legal (non-:filez:) sources for PDF copies of stuff like Ravnica? I wanna read it but I hate owning physical books these days and I don't know if any of the digital versions for like Roll20 or whatever contain just, the drat book in a readable form.

D&D Beyond which as just mentioned is having a sale code posted above is in my opinion the best option.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/marketplace/source/38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glagha posted:

So beyond actually gives you a PDF or some similar format? I've never used it before so I don't know how that content is provided.

Similar format.

nelson posted:

Sort of. It gives you a digital book you can read via the app or the website. It also includes a nifty character builder with the content from whatever digital books you’ve purchased from them. You can download the books to your phone but I believe it requires an internet connection to access them.

If you download the books to your phone from beyond you don't need a connection. But the website requires one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That kind of stuff is always fun to see in the thread. (And in most rpg discussion.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 27, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

I guess Waterdeep just caves in then. Undermountain is literally its support structure. GG WotC your terrible writers strike again.

None of Undermountain collapses. Just his tower, which is a Demiplane in Undermountain.

Malpais Legate posted:

gently caress Waterdeep.

And the rest of Forgotten Realms, to be honest.

Why

And I don't know why so many people are saying we don't have any high level content, when Dungeon of the Mad Mage is a 5 to 20 Adventure. And Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes came out which has a lot of high level monsters. (Over half the creatures are CR 10 or higher.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 4, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

clusterfuck posted:

Hey hivemind I'd never read much Eberron before and now I'm frankensteining it into my campaign don't dogpile me for my poo poo choices please. What are the best modules or books (any edition) that have something unique to Eberron? What are the definitive Eberron books?

Keith Baker the creator of Eberron and Wizards fairly recently released a PDF that is a good starting point.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/247882/Wayfinders-Guide-to-Eberron-5e?src=newest_in_5e

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arthil posted:

We actually took that concept for another region that is heavily connected to the elemental planes, so that y'know. You have stuff like that without needing to enslave the elementals to do it.

Elementals are not sentient. Well some are, but not the type that are bound to objects. A basic fire elemental has no feelings or emotions other than burning whatever is in front of it, as it is basically semi living fire.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So Misty Step is, for some goofy reason, a Conjuration spell. That means a conjurer is weirdly mobile and capable of shuffling a team around with Benign Transposition.

Anyone seen anything really cool with that or have neat ideas? I definitely want to throw our druid bear into danger (with her consent of course).

Why is that goofy. Teleportation effects have been part of conjuration for a long time. And it does not make sense to really be in a different school.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lightrook posted:

Apparently it used to be part of Alteration in 2e, before the school was renamed to Transmutation. Personally, I don't think it's a great fit for Conjuration, which is usually about creating something out of nothing, while the goal of teleporting is to start and end with the same amount of mass. I can sort of see the logic behind Transmutation, since you're transforming the target's position rather than its mass. If it was up to me, though, I'd put it into Divination, since they're both about long-distance stuff. And in a practical sense, a divination usually precedes a teleportation, to make sure there aren't any unexpected complications, so it makes sense to me that the two magics are studied by the same people.

Evocation is about creating something out of nothing. Conjuring brings something that was somewhere else to you. So teleportation which is the reverse of that, so it makes sense in the school.

Infinite Karma posted:

Conjuring something could be moving something somewhere else. Like when you summon something, you're bringing it to you from wherever the hell it was before. Teleporting is the reverse of that.

Sometimes literally hell.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 12, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lightrook posted:

Huh, I actually haven't checked 5e's spells by school until now, so I was mostly going by outdated 3.5 information. Looks like they've moved most of the Wall of X spells and a lot of damaging spells from Conjuration to Evocation so it actually has a reason to exist. Guess that mystery's been solved.

Almost all the wall spells were Evocation in 3.5 too. I just checked. Which damaging spells do you think were moved?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here are the basic descriptions of the schools

PHB posted:

As a conjurer, you favor spells that produce objects and creatures out of thin air. You can conjure billowing clouds of killing fog or summon creatures from elsewhere to fight on your behalf. As your mastery grows, you learn spells of transportation and can teleport yourself across vast distances, even to other planes of existence, in an instant.

PHB posted:

You focus your study on magic that creates powerful elemental effects such as bitter cold, searing flame, rolling thunder, crackling lightning, and burning acid. Some evokers find employment in military forces, serving as artillery to blast enemy armies from afar. Others use their spectacular power to protect the weak, while some seek their own gain as bandits, adventurers, or aspiring tyrants.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Spoiler for WDH content:

Ah ha ha, we're doing WDH and I allied with the Zhents.
We got to the part where the Zhents attack the manor while we're tailing the robotman.
And our DM is like "what do" and I'm like "well, I'm gonna pick the biggest baddest dude on the opposite side from the Zhents and light him up."

My DM was NOT AMUSED

So wait did you just murder a party member.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

More WDH:

So, either my DM or WotC (por que no los dos) are falling down on the job.

We are given tasks by various Waterdeep factions in order to start currying favor with them.

I picked the Zhents. Another party member picked The Lords' Alliance. Another picked the Harpers.

We got into that fight and my DM basically talked me out of straight murdering this house full of nobles to save my Zhent buddies because neither he nor the hardcover had any idea what to do if you started helping the Zhents instead of the nobles and he strongly suggested it was gonna be "and the town guard executes anyone they catch".

The next morning, we head off to the Yawning Portal to meet my Zhent contact to discuss what happened.

They aren't there, but The Lords' Alliance rep is. He gives my buddy a quest to go break up a Zhentarim deal on the docks. I'm like "dude, you are putting us in a real bad spot, because I will definitely tip off my boys."

Like, idk if the point is to turn the party against each other, but this poo poo is getting real dumb.

This would be on your DM. Along with the fact that only a few of the factions have to give invites and they are optional. The Zhents that invite you to join them are of a rival faction of the Zhents that serve as villains in the adventure.

kingcom posted:

Please describe the how it ends. The most unforgivable thing the module writers for 5e have done is for their Dragon Heist adventure to not have a heist imo.

There is a heist at the end. However it is possible to roleplay through it and get the gold socially from it's Dragon Guard. But then the issue becomes stopping the villain from taking the gold from you. If that happens you may have to try and then steal the gold from them. There are tons of ways the adventure can end.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 13, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Still largely disagree with this. But I doubt we want another fight over this stuff. (Not the whole here are valid alternate choices, but the whole D&D is a bad game thing.)

Mr. Humalong posted:

Anyone have that google docs link for game systems that do DnD better than 5e? I have some friends who want to “try dungeons and dragons” and I want to look that list over before I decide to subject them to 5e (which I think is fine but there’s going to be like 7 of them and combat will probably be a slog).

E: i think gradenko posted it last time but I can’t remember and it was a good 9-10 months ago and I’m lazy and look let’s just give me the link

With 7 people combat is probably going to take a while in most systems. 5e is one of the quicker ones. You can alway try and swap systems if you think one is not working as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 19, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh don't think anyone linked the new UA

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/sidekicks

Edit:From looking at it it's kind of weird and does not seem too useful.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 19, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

This is the fight in a nutshell. You shouldn't have to be a systems master to make a good fighter. To a certain degree, fighters should come with the capacity to do their job, so that someone completely new can get in on the action.

You don't need to in 5e.

Still you guys are coming off a bit too bitter about that 4e comment. Which from checking is a true statement. It's been confirmed for years that the 4e Team had MMO's on the mind during the design phase, Mearls was even talking about the 4e design team about a month ago. The Art and Arcana guys also interviewed a bunch of current former designers and artists for the game about the topics. I also don't view it as a negative statement.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bewilderment posted:

Yeah most of my group isn't great at system analysis and even they realise there's no real reason to play fighter or rogue in this game when you could play paladin or bard.

Conspiratiorist posted:

You absolutely do if you go past 5th level and there's any half-competent players in the party doing other classes.

There is a difference between some classes preforming better and the other class needing to be built well.

The Paladin is overall stronger then the fighter due to it's high burst damage. But the fighter can still preform the role it's built for and do it well. But sadly a non optimized fighter will not do it as well as a non optimized paladin.

Myy point is it can still do the role and do it well, there have been no issues in my home games of fighters being unable to keep up or needing to be built well. Even in the high level games.

Also Rogue's are scary, don't get why people keep underestimating them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

I absolutely can't understand what you're trying to get at here.

1) There is a difference between a better-performing class, and a class that needs to be built well? I mean yeah, but also... no poo poo?

2) Paladins are better than fighters (no poo poo) and this is true even if both are unoptimised (again, no poo poo), but fighters can still do their job (but... not as well as paladins?)

3)

4) Therefore no problem.

Ok going to explain it better now that I am no longer burdened.

On a 1 to 10 to scale for fightyness unoptimized Paladins are probably a 8 and can go up to 10 with optimization. A fighter is a 7 and can go up to 9 with optimization. So paladins are overall better yes, but the unoptimized fighter is still a 7 a passing grade and it does not harm you to have one. This is not an ideal situation, (Ideal would be they were equal) but fighters don't outright Need optimization as they can still hold their own and perform their role. There is a problem but it's not a huge one.

Arivia posted:

Mearls repeatedly runs his mouth to poo poo on people he doesn’t like and make him come off better. He’s not an unbiased source.

He was not criticizing the team. He was stating what some of their design goals were (Better class synergy, all classes having access to unique abilities for some examples.) stating that they had MMO's in mind for the initial build. They actually put out an early video during 4e's early days were they mentioned the MMO influences, though it's been lost on the old site.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It absolutely does, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Agreed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

Thing is Fighters are garbage at their role unless the DM is shoring them up with magic items or easy encounters against enemies following the gentleman's agreement to go after the guy at the front first.

Paladins meanwhile buff and protect the party without needing to be focused on by attacks, can deal damage if they have to, and have spellcasting and healing for utility.

Yeah I said Paladins are better. I just don't agree with you that they are garbage at their role
Enemies tend to go after the guy in front anyway. Cause the guy in front is normally the guy in their face beating them to death. Like the only time I am really going to make the argument for a enemy to ignore the guy in their face is if they are mindless undead or bound fiends and were ordered to ignore them.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AlphaDog posted:

OK allow me to present my rebuttal now that I am not beset by bees.

If you compare them on a paladness scale instead of a fightyness scale, (this one goes from 1 to 10000000000) then paladins are 9999999947 to 10000000000 but fighters are only 8447 to 9062.

There is a problem and it is very very large indeed!

Thanks for this super poor faith argument.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't skimp out on the stories.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I remember getting into an argument with a DM, because my character was trying to jump a gap. He wanted me to roll Dexterity, I wanted to roll Strength.

People get hung up on things.

By default in the book Strength is the way to go in the book. But either would work depending how you worded it to me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought FactsAreUseless told us to stop edition warring in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kaysette posted:

We should just make a new thread, the OP here could use some TLC.

Thread has 1600 pages we could use a new one.