Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Cause you obviously do not tie up your prisoner or gag them so they cannot make a lot of noise to try and get help. Though to be perfectly honest, there's no real reason they'd leave anyone from the farm alive. No one to ransom a prisoner off to, and depending on your campaign setting there may not be slavers to sell them off to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

You'd try to play to your players either way. Would a woman being a prisoner be a bigger push for them to be suspicious, or some other things which stand out in their camp? In the end you're wanting to paint this group of so-called "adventurers" as untrustworthy in some way, I would figure you'd know your players personally better than us.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I'm literally not understanding your almost seemingly over the top and maybe faked outrage there. This is fiction, they're meant to be horrible people. Some games are more squeaky clean, but that isn't every game as some people can handle a dose of realism in a campaign.

Either way what I said is important. A DM will likely know what their players can and cannot handle in a game, they will have gathered players who know the overall theme of the campaign. I do agree that making it seem rapey at all is a bad idea in what is meant to be a fairly light-hearted and over-the-top/high fantasy kind of game. But it could also be a really grim setting and the players are prepared for it.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 24, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

This is too high a bar to clear for you?

Maybe he should have said that then, instead of saying that there was nothing wrong with anything except the bite, then jumping to "sell her to slavers" as if that's a better scenario.

I actually added to my post talking about the tone of the game so we seem to actually agree on that point. As the DM, they should be able to know whether any ideas given here are appropriate for their campaign.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Hi dnd goons. Appenrtly I'm susposed to be participating in a 5e game soonish both as a player and as a DM. It's an adventure a week type mercenary serial with out much overarching plot. As such characters are allowed to be a bit more whacky with personal goals.

I have three questions I would like some assiastnace with:

Is it possible to make a Goblin witchdoctor who rides a giant turtle?

Does making a "test case" tomb of horrors with stuff toned down, because its just the prototype for checking it all works and not the full one, sound like a fun adventure? For example the orb of anhiliation is instead an orb of colour spray, and the lich at the end is a squeaky toy with magical prerecorded lines.

Finally is a tattooed elf berzerker in a loincloth an acceptable character under the new dnd rules. I've only pkayed pathfinder for the last few years.

As a counter point for the elf, you can totally do that. It's all going to be dependent on what loot you find but if your Constitution gets pumped up enough you'll be switching between medium armor or no medium armor plenty. As for elves not getting a bump in STR... so what? Doesn't matter. What they do get is a bump to DEX will which also handily help increase your AC, and on top of that elves are immune to sleep effects which can be a bane for barbarians and have advantage on saving throws against Charm.

There's no reason you can't play that elf barbarian character, I think the other guy took the berzerker thing a little too literally cause the weaker sub-class for Barbarian is also called that.

I mean hell exactly what's stopping a person from asking the DM if their character can still appear mostly like a caveman even when wearing armor?

Edit: So all the benefits. +2 Dexterity which helps with saving throws there, plus will give you +1 AC and +1 to your initiate rolls. Perception comes as a racial skill, it's important. You cannot be put to sleep via a spell, and you have advantage on saving throws against charm spells. Both are standard ways to shut down a barbarian's rage. You don't need to sleep, you just meditate for 4 hours. You'll have Darkvision. If you go High Elf you'll get a wizard cantrip, maybe not the best mechanically but fun thematically. If you go Wood Elf you'll have a 35 ft speed, and can use the hide action when only lightly obscured in a natural environment.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 25, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Rage damage and Reckless Attack key off Strength; a Dexterity-based Barbarian just doesn't work.

Like - okay, just look at the elf stat spread: even if you pump up DEX and CON at chargen, and then further spend an ASI on those stats because otherwise all you get is AC 15, all you are accomplishing is being behind on
- Accuracy
- Damage
- Feats
to match the AC of a Barbarian who spent 400gp on a metal plate.

If you do stat rolling (:barf:) and get god rolls, then game on, the world is your oyster. Otherwise you're just gimping yourself - and gimping yourself on the most mindless class, who is laser-focused on one job only, is a bad call.

I wasn't suggesting they go DEX Barbarian, which is definitely a thing you -can- do but I'd never suggest someone new to the class/game trying. I was suggesting the race not having a +STR isn't the end of the world. Listen, I get that you really enjoy min-maxing to high hell and I do too up to a certain point but the game is more than flexible enough to allow for actual creativity and going for character concepts rather than eeking out every last 0.5 point of damage like you're trying to down an MMO raid boss.

It took me all of like 5 minutes mucking around in DnD Beyond to figure it out and it'd work just fine. Still got their main stats maxed, had room enough for feats as well.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 25, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I wanted the mechanics to back up the fluff where possible. I'm liking the spellblade or kensai ideas though.

I've not played a Monk yet but I have heard good things about Kensei. You could reflavor it however you'd like too so it could 100% fit the wild elf thing you wanna go for.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's not a .5, it's a 30% damage loss. It's huge.

Were you 'mucking around' this for a level 20 build? Because you're crippling the Barbarian for their first 8 levels and keeping them two steps behind for the next 8.

I think you focus way too much on squeezing every last drop of efficiency out of a character when in the long run, it's just as effective. The most effective thing to do in most cases is to just make everything a variant human, but what fun is that in the end?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Or an Eldritch Knight fighter, perhaps.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Even if they're both monk weapons? That's odd.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Wait, what the hell.

So the Kensei talk got me digging around and making one on DnDBeyond for randoms sake, and upon choosing the starting Kensei weapons I noticed... Boomerang in the ranged section.

Searching for it brought up an isolated page detailing the 1d4 thrown weapon which returns if you miss, and you are proficient in if you are proficient in javelin. Claimed it was on the equipment list, but it isn't. Looked everywhere, even in the Basic Rules it claimed it was from with no luck.

Looking at the Storm Boomerang, it seems like they made that as a basic, non-magical version of it but uh. Otherwise... is that even a -thing-?

Edit: It's just there for when a person uses the magical item and it no longer has its extra damage, well that explains that.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 25, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

You will, four or five sessions in, when the novelty has worn off and you're a millstone around the party's neck who only ever achieves anything meaningful through obvious GM pity.

Yeah you all really take this poo poo way too seriously.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

CaPensiPraxis posted:

Its really easy to make a reasonably optimal character, to the point that there really isn't an excuse.

My main beef is this weird point of view that not starting with a +3 is somehow the same as spitting in your friends drinks and kicking their puppies. Going elf for a barbarian isn't making you a burden on the party at all

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I would be starting my Elfbarian with 15 STR cause why the hell wouldn't you? There is an elf with a +1 STR but it's UA content and not in any official book.

Also, the character I built up on DnDBeyond would have maxed their main stats no problem and still have Great Weapon Master.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

I feel like this doesn't say anything about elf barbarians as a rule so much as it shows the relative crappiness of two-weapon fighting, though. Which, yes, I do recognise is what the original poster was asking about, but it is probably worth discriminating between that and the race/class combo in general.

Yeah I kind of blanked out on their entire reply when they started talking about dual wielding and pumping their DEX up that high. I'd be using a battleaxe, or maybe a greatsword and going with GWM, especially a greatsword if dipped into Fighter cause it works well with GWF.

Like a Dex Barbarian? Don't do that as a newbie, at all. Just wanting to be an elf? I don't see the issue.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Malpais Legate posted:

That's the statement I was trying to make. Like, don't kid yourself into Dexterity Barbarian. But that math is just misleading. Human Variant Barbarian with ALL of the optimal damage output choices and feats VS an Elf Barbarian running with all sorts of bonus handicaps is never going to compare.

As I mentioned on another page. If you really wanted to be super optimal, everything would be a Variant Human. but that's boring as poo poo.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I didn't want to say it but yeah it just feels like everyone here, almost, has played with these extremely hard-assed DMs that have absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever and kill their friends character with a stone-faced expression while handing them a blank character sheet.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Half-Elf Variant from SCAG, choose Wood Elf or whatever else but the extra 5 feet of movement works good. +1 STR/CON, start with 16 STR/CON. There, happy?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

My highest level character is a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, first character I made on a whim at a convention. But I've been playing/played a few others. Overall I just gotta accept the way you guys play is different than how apparently my entire cities Multiverse community plays. We're more relaxed about playing, and don't mind quirky concepts.

User0015 posted:

My new character is a goblin cook. What are some good goblinoid dishes I can serve up that call for sweaty onions?

You joke, but... https://www.dmsguild.com/product/232212/The-Cook-Class

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Splicer posted:

Nobody (who matters) minds quirky concepts. Nobody's saying "don't play an angry elf that's weird!". One of D&D's big failings is that even perfectly cromulent concepts, like an angry elf, fall down or require weird fiddly builds for dumb system reasons when put in the same party as an angry giant turtle man.

You only make me wish I could play a Tortle even more. My one annoyance with this not being Adventure League, they've not voted all the books in and even for ones they have like the Elemental Evil Players Guide, they don't allow the races.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Someone did math earlier in the thread and it was a pretty big disparity between a 15 str and 16 str character. Barbarian is probably worst case scenario for it because GWM/PAM create such a high bar for damage potential that trying to catch up to both stats and feats is a mess. Fighter can be doing suboptimal damage but still have a lot of utility in combat. Barbarians are specifically built around the idea they are huge damage threat demanding to be dealt with. They're not contributing much otherwise.

Unless you're playing a Storm Herald/Ancestral Guardian. The latter is the one I chose, and it's very fun spreading disadvantage around like I'm having a fire-sale on it. Especially when it can be applied to Big Bad enemies and they can't even try to save against it, it just happens.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I laid down like, $70 and got everything I'll ever need as a player from DnDBeyond. Why? Because I'd really rather not lug all the books to each game I go to, which my cities Multiverse requires so the DM can have reference. Instead I've got it on my phone as something official. The character generator is also really nice to figure things out with, as well.

With the fact that it'd be a big group all pitching in, everyone sharing the content through the higher tiered yearly sub etc it seems like an easy buy. The site is improving on what you can create homebrew of quite often as well, so adding actual homebrew or simply third-party book content is becoming easier.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The Compendium on DnDBeyond is really damned nice and yeah, you can just search for whatever you're looking for from any page.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

It's still not a good deal. It's the only real deal in town for official tools, though, so people will make all sorts of excuses for a product that asks you to repurchase the product at nearly full price and then pay a subscription fee to fully use.

No.

You don't need a sub to actually use the stuff you buy, I've seen someone confused about that before too but it isn't correct. Yes there is a six character limit but it's so easy to create characters with the site that just downloading a PDF sheet for reference on a character you aren't playing yet isn't a bad way to go. And even then? It's peanuts for an annual sub.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 1, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Drowning Rabbit posted:

If you don’t already own the books, they are at least about what you would pay at a site like Amazon or cheaper overall.

Why are they charging for the free phandelver book though?

I was hoping that buying the books would give you a pdf download additionally, but it appears that everything is online only? Frustrating, especially if you are at a con with lovely internet.

Currently you can only access everything via the site though this actually works pretty well, they are working on an app to allow you to have dedicated offline access.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

As per usual if your DM isn't a butt about it, it'll work. A paladin in a group I was in several weeks back had her weapon get stuck in an ooze we were fighting. So she Smite-Fisted the thing to death with her plate gauntlet.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

So is it that you don't need a sub, or that it's cheap? Because you do need a sub to use the tools beyond the relatively small limit of characters (good for one game, maybe, and only really useful as a source of expensive pdfs without the sub). And the fact that the subscription is cheap means gently caress all, I don't care if it's cheap if you buy the yearly sub, I care about the product there more than the price tag on it. What are you even doing here, WotC has devised a system where most people will have to buy a product twice and then pay a subscription fee to get access to the most basic of tools. Why are you defending this. What are you even doing.

You've failed to explain what you think requires a subscription in order to access. All that a sub does is remove ads, give you an unlimited number of characters to create, and import other peoples homebrew stuff for your own usage.

For the one-time payment, which for me for player-focused stuff was about $70 thanks to that Critical Role $10 off code which is floating around, you will have access to all the content in any book you buy in a far more easily searchable format.

So... Again. What do you think a subscription is supposed to give? Cause you clearly got the wrong idea somewhere about how the site works.

Edit: Just to emphasize my point. While I cannot import other peoples homebrew, I can make anything I want and use it myself. Backgrounds, races, feats, spells, items/magic items and even monsters. I've made several items for custom stuff I've picked up on my barbarian. The only reason I'll ever get the sub is if I really wanna just use other peoples homebrew stuff and want just all the character creation options.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I mean as a player, who needs to be able to reference/quickly read up on stuff from the books? It's perfect. Loads better than a lovely PDF that doesn't even have proper bookmarks setup. And as I've mentioned before in the thread, I don't need to carry 4-5 books with me whenever I go out to game. I'm still really not understanding the issues you're having, because while the character creator is pretty damned good it's having a fantastically indexed compendium of all the books that I've bought at my thumbs that is the real seller for me. Every else is just icing on the cake. It could have nothing else on the site other than the various compendium listings for everything in the books and I'd still consider it worth it.

As for the three campaign thing. How many campaigns do you know of that have twelve people in them? I can easily see multiple groups with different DMs making use of it simply because of how varied group size can be.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Okay but saying "the character builder works and Mearls hired someone that knows how indices work" does not detract from or counter any of the points as to why Beyond was and is a pretty bad choice and a lovely lovely thing to do to a customer base and could have been easily done better

It's the only option in town that is exactly what it is but that does not make it good by default

I guess I'm just not understanding what's supposed to be bad about it is all. Like whenever I bring up that something works really well, you just throw it in my face childishly like the beginning of your post. I've not found a better character builder, the MPMB sheet was nice but laggy as hell whereas the DnDBeyond one has everything the automated sheet did but is smoother and with a better layout. You also downplay just how important being able to search for stuff easily, or to have just a much nicer layout to look over spells/classes/races/etc is. There's no trawling through google hoping I find the right thing, or that the only results I get are from the D&D Wiki. It's just there.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

On the flip-side I had the misfortune of playing in a game where the DM did in fact use GP = XP and so most of us were left with 240 XP instead of him just being decent and bumping us to Level 2.

The actual -game- was fun, but it... kind of encourages being a murder-hobo.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You could sprinkle in a counter spell creature, or once someone used Healing Word, the monsters beeline for that person. Maybe the creatures you're fighting start rifling through the pockets of the downed player and take a magic item or their weapon. If you really want to keep it tight, have a creature standing next to the downed one and ready an action to attack if they get hit with a healing spell.

I wouldn't do any of this in every encounter, only the most dramatic and important ones.

I'd say animals are far more likely to go for someone that is downed too, if they are predators. Bunch of wolves are going to grab the body and try to run off with it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Mithral can be any kind of armor?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

If you really want to make her day, let her big class abilities (IE Rage Damage bonus and Reckless Attack) actually work when throwing a weapon using strength. Especially in a party with a bard and a sorcerer, where otherwise things might just explode before she can get to them!

I can't lie it is a bit hilarious that everyone I play with is cool with the 120-ft straight rolled javelin throws but hey, it also means I can throw my dwarven thrower freely too.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Alignment is a silly concept anyway. Monsters should have every opportunity to be peaceful and good for one example. On another hand too, sometimes doing really bad stuff is what it takes to get the results you're after. No shortage of people hailed as heroes in history who actually did some really vile stuff.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Surprised the people running the games refused to undergo a background check they didn't have to pay for. The cost falling on the owners of every little game store that wants to keep in business with WoTC is the big thing here.

Hell my cities stuff has no connection in any official capacity with WotC/Adventure League but the owner of the place we game at every other Friday is still requiring our DMs to go through the checks because otherwise he'd just ask us to leave if a Magic game was also being ran at the same time. Which is almost always.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I really don't understand why they keep making sub-races and then also full on races. Deep Gnomes are their own thing in Elemental Evil, but are a Gnome sub-race in SCAG. Duergar is also a sub-race in SCAG.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Paragraphs are not big scary things, a paragraph isn't much text at all. Now if he's dropping a damned book on your table on the life and tribulations of Grunalf the Dwarven Ranger and his Bear Companion then yes, there might be a problem. Don't feel like your brother being into it is a bad thing, it'll liven up your games a lot.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Sadly it doesn't matter cause there's only one type of shield in 5e. There aren't greatshields, bucklers, or the neat viking shields where they can easily hold a dagger/short weapon while the shield is strapped to that arm.

Unless the DM allows other types of shields, of course.

Edit:

So Matt Colville's Kickstarter for the book/minis/D&D show has hit $700k in two days.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

FRINGE posted:

For any weapons nerds that have been mislead about bucklers being giant bracers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPD1PtcOZ2c

I think people just confuse bucklers for one of the types of viking shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Holy crap well now I know why my buddy gives the chance for stuff like a Dwarven Thrower at Level 3.

We had four Demiliches thrown at our party last night. Thankfully the Paladin was a smite-machine.