Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm tentatively interested in a Ravinica setting book. I am glad they are doing something 'new' for 5e, at last.

Still not gonna run it in 5e, but I dig nice books full of art and evocative stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PrinnySquadron posted:

The next MTG set is Ravnica. So that probably factored into it.
I mean, the mobile game that I play (Puzzle & Dragons) just finished up a Magic: The Gathering collaboration, so it looks like they are in cross-marketing overdrive right now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, I've been playing since 1e AD&D myself (36 years this summer!) and boy howdy am I glad I managed to somehow avoid getting my imagination mutilated over the decades.

Mr.Tophat posted:

The game doesn't make me choose. I choose. Sometimes you take the less 'good' (read: mechanically efficent) option so you can do the thematically cool visual awesome thing.
Alternate option: You do both. You and your DM (both reasonable people) have a conversation like this:

Sir Topham Hatt: Hey, I love the visual of throwing knives but this 1d4 damage thing is kind of for the birds. Can I reskin a longbow into like a few dozen small, sweet throwing knives that do 1d8 damage at a longer range?
His DM: Yes, sure - but I want to make sure we keep it mechanically identical for the reskin. You need to keep both your hands occupied when tossing them, and eventually replenish the supply in your orcish trenchcoat.
Sir Topham Hatt: Absolutely! I'll also keep it to, say, a 60' range because otherwise it's a bit too silly.
His DM: Thomas will be so pleased!

(note: I do not know the intricacies of 5e, so mentally adjust any screwy rules bits or specific numbers I messed up. The point remains the same.)

I did almost precisely this in a 4e Zeitgeist game I ran not too long ago. A character wanted to use a pair of pistols, but a pair of pistols absolutely stinks and there's no character that can do a reasonable job with them. We reskinned a Rifle into a pair of pistols and voila! The gunslinger lived!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause it's kind of hypocritical for you to come in here and constantly complain about the game and nothing else.
Yeah, but Arivia was being really dumb there, just like you're being, here.

Also I'd give 5e the 3rd best position. After 4e and BECMI, which both do their own thing and do it (mostly) well.

The Dregs posted:

Fighters, rangers, barbarians, rogues, and monks are allowed. We're allowed one cleric, but cleric can only memorize healing and support spells. We have to avoid overtly magical subclasses and reskin any minor magic we end up with as something mundane. As for that, I don't know how much leeway we have, since none bothered to make any magical classes other than the or cleric.

Oh and paladins are allowed, but they have to be super ultra 1e lawful good.

Also, I can't really just peace out. The game is a weekly social occasion at this point. My wife cooks everyone an awesome meal, and we make a bit of a party of the evening. He's been preparing for so long. I just hope it doesn't end with him pissed at all of us when it falls apart.
Yeah in that case it looks like the grog has his audience for a while. If it doesn't work out, you and the other players can figure out some way to let him down gently.

It totally sounds like a disaster in the making, but who knows? Maybe it'll end up somehow rocking? Or be mostly good with some weird warts? It's kind of a truism at this point that a good group can have fun with a bad game. (With the caveats that a bad DM will ruin all that, and a good game would be better.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glagha posted:

I feel like this is the tabletop equivalent of "This anime is really good, no really. Just ignore the parts where the MC is trying to gently caress his sister"
I dunno what to tell you - there's body horror aplenty and some juvenile humor because Rob Schwalb is, like, perpetually 13 years old. But it doesn't go for the other grimdark greatest hits - it's not rapey, it's not racist, it's not homophobic or misogynistic...

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's weird when "punching and kicking stuff should be just as good as a weapon for a literal martial artist" is controversial.

I get it, kung fu has tons of sweet-looking weapons. But you're not picking a weapon because it's cool, you're picking a weapon because 1d4 vs 1d8 is a no-brainer. (And when you get to high enough levels, no more weapons because reasons - those reasons being 'this is better for my dpr now.')

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Crotch posted:

Nobody has ever used darts.
Looks like SOMEONE never cheesed out an AD&D Fighter!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Glagha posted:

Even if monks aren't super great I like playing monk because they feel like the best monk has ever been in D&D, even if that's a low bar for a traditionally subpar class
The 4e monk begs to differ. It was really good - an extremely mobile and hard-hitting martial artist with a gift for spreading their attacks around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Psionics were not great. I thought monks were the best of the group, mostly because they didn't try to shove in that silly power point gimmick and stuck to the same resource system that all the other classes had. The power point thing was pretty clearly "older editions did it that way, so we'll do it that way too." Man, who even designed for that book?

I did not realize how bad brutal barrage got if you got a damage roll in it, that should have been strictly and openly banned (if it wasn't already).
Oh yeah, the non-Monk psionic classes are bad. The Psion is the worst of them all - it literally keeps a Level 1 power for the rest of the campaign, spams it, and neutralizes entire encounters.

Battlemind is probably the best of the three power point classes, though it has some problems, too. (And Brutal Barrage should never have a damage roll. There are definitely ways to abuse vulnerabilities with it, however. And other non-abusive combos which give you miss damage and whatnot.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Bee posted:

The Seeker looks really cool at least, but I keep hearing that it's bad.
It's halfway between Controller and Striker, if built right. It's fun, if not precisely a powerhouse. It has enough control to be fun while not having so much it makes combat blow.

Essentials Hunter fills a similar role and is best played multiclassed to Seeker.

There are very few actively terrible classes in 4e. Even the psionic ones are just bad in an "effective but boring" kind of a way. Seekers are below average, for sure, but not a drag on the party. They don't belong in a high-optimized group, but for normal players, sure.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 21, 2018

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Flawless Victory!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arthil posted:

Are you incapable of making a post without sounding like an overly aggressive rear end?
Arivia and MonsterEnvy are both extremely bad posters. When they slapfight, nobody wins.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
(X-posted)

Hey, remember when everyone was saying they couldn't really mean eSports when WotC was talking D&D and eSports?

They really meant eSports.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5709-DnDSports-Competitive-Play-With-Prizes

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Flashbacks to the D&D Open at Gen Cons of old.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Like, 5e isn't a hard-coded enough ruleset for this.

Bring back 4e for it and we'll talk.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
OH MAH GAWD THAT'S TORDEK'S MUSIC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Splicer posted:

D&D didn't start with third edition.
This was especially true in older editions, where "able to use swords" was a significant class feature due to the prominence of amazing magic swords in loot.

In 3e, not even magic gear helped Fighters.