Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Golden Bee posted:

Has anyone played in games where characters get 4+ attacks per turn?

I never played high level 3.0-4x, but found that one attack per action (even if it hits multiple people or could lead to subsequent cleave-style attacks) balances the amount of time each player gets to act in combat, which is a good indicator of player focus.

Yes, and unless that character's attacks all have the same bonus to hit it just ends up being a giant waste of time and slows the game down to a crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

LFK posted:

Incredibly lovely business decisions piled on incredibly lovely business decisions. Lots of shovelware (both core products and merchandising), a bad habit of not paying their printers on time, firing all the real designers who knew what they were doing, alienating their better writers, and so on and so forth.

TSR produced something like 600 books over the span of 9 years.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I want a D&D where you play "lands" except instead of Island and Mountain they're stuff like Mana and Stamina and you need to tap 1 Mana, 1 Stamina, and 1 power point of any "color" to execute an Eldritch Slash or whatever.

That legit sounds like a fun mechanic and I'd totally play it.

zachol posted:

Why not just have a magic sword that allows you to concentrate to find dragons but doesn't provide a +1 to hit?
As in, no magic weapons at all would give + any number to hit.

Inherent bonuses in 4e would make this pretty easy; you'd already have your bonuses and crit dice cooked into your character, just remove those from the magic item entry and keep all the other abilities.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Everyone in the group wants to play a char with a 17 or 18, so just fiat everyone one in their primary stat and roll the rest.

Gamma World did this and it worked perfectly fine. You could make a character in 5 minutes and they'd be just about as competent as everyone else.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Jack the Lad posted:

They refresh on short rests and get some invocations at-will but basically yeah compared to a Wizard they suck.

D&D NEXT: yeah compared to a Wizard they suck.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

What 4e needed to do was, like, keep the list of ritual effects in place, but allow for wide (and mechanically-supported) narration in the style or praxis or whatever of whoever was invoking the ritual effect, so a wizard would cast Plane Shift by drawing a huge ritual circle of residuum and chanting for hours, but a ranger would seek out Plane Shift by leading their party into the depths of the mythic wilderness and through a naturally-occurring planar fissure they'd found with wilderness lore. Meanwhile a rogue either steals a bunch of magical objects and bullshits their way into causing a portal to open, or pulls string after string until they're calling in shady favors from devils or elemental lords.

Meanwhile, the fighter grabs at a minuscule tear in reality with both hands and forces it open with the sheer power of swole.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Normal rational wizards want to hide from muggles.

They make it a point to mention World War II, and the secret war between wizards that went on at the time; I wonder if they decided to further pull away from muggles after seeing the sheer level of destruction that went on during that time.

It'd make sense, because there's more mundane humans than there are wizards, and any schmuck with minimal training can just pull a trigger and end a life. What self-respecting wizard would wanna mess with that poo poo?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

dichloroisocyanuric posted:

despite the fact that this is a lovely post, card style powers are something really cool about 4e and if they sold decks of cards for each class spell list, they'd probably make good money.

poo poo, TSR did that ages ago. There's a copy of the Priest Deck at my LGS, left untouched and in near-mint condition.

If anyone complains about MUH CARDS in D&D just point to poo poo like that and stare at them until they go away.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

S.J. posted:

I don't know who Spoony is.

You're not missing anything.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Agent Boogeyman posted:

My favorite (Most irritating) aspect of any of Spoony's rants about 4E are about how he complains about poo poo that was standardized in 3E (Sometimes 2E or even as far back as OD&D), carried over into Pathfinder (Which he states is his favorite tabletop system ever) and acts like it was 4E's fault. That and half his arguments betray the fact that he only ever cracked open the first three core 4E books (If not just the PHB) because anyone who has actually played it can prove him wrong in about five seconds flat. The other half of his bad arguments come from a misconception of what D&D is supposed to be, so it makes me wonder if he's ever actually played or ran D&D in his life. One of his videos was a huge rant about how he doesn't understand the mentality that players should have any agency whatsoever, that everything should be left to either the whim of the dice or DM fiat, and how he got banned from organized play for actively changing the rules so that the players purposefully got dicked over.

He has played D&D before--he was in some 4e campaign with Lordkat and Angry Joe, which he pretty much ruined by getting into a skype call during a session (that he said he wasn't going to be in for whatever reason) and made fun of the fact that they were fighting giant bees.

Spoony is That Guy made manifest.

Cainer posted:

Ya I didn't make it much farther, after bitching about the smell he started bitching about Drow being a playable race. Who cares, lore is what you make of it, if someone wants to play an elf with street cred then whatever, more power to them. So sad because I really like some of Spoonies others videos, like his Ultima series where he's very informative and its obvious he is really passionate about the subject matter but lately he has just been making vids along the line of "I HATE THIS CAUSE" and raising his voice in fake anger and stuff.

What he likes, he really likes. What he hates, he really hates.

Unfortunately he hates more stuff than he actually likes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

TKIY posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm not going to continue this. It's pretty clear that you aren't allowed to enjoy the game because a Wizard did it.

You won't be missed.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Heck, you might not even need minis if you are way into mapping. Overhead projector and laser pointer works too. You just need to track tactical movement and positioning, or else many things don't work quite right without massive house-ruling.

Hell, you could do it with a white board and some dry-erase markers. Grid-based combat can be stupidly simple and doesn't require a whole suitcase full of models to get poo poo done.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ogre Battle map campaign with Tactics Ogre combat would be the bee's knees, stop making me want something that will never happen.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

MonsterEnvy, if you're going to try and defend Next from any and all criticism would you at least mind learning the rules?

Also if he could learn other punctuation marks aside from the period that'd be loving swell.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

"I made a statement that I can't or won't back up in any way. Therefore, it's just a matter of opinion. I'm just going to drop it".

Dude you're arguing with a brick wall made of stupid. You might want to just let him continue being wrong and not feed him attention.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are worse then he is, just coming out of nowhere to insult me. I am not stupid for sating my opinion about how a PDF 30 page free pdf that anyone can use, is better then taking 30 pages out of a 92 page adventure to give you the stats that only the book owners, or people that buy the monster Manuel can use.

Oh my god you used a comma! :allears:

quote:

I hate this thread

Then stop posting in it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

It's kind of telling that the only time D&D has ever done psionics in an interesting and fun manner was the 4e monk, and that didn't even use power points.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

Monk isn't really a psionic class though.

That was my point :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, how hard would it be to make a Persona/Jojo Pact Warlock?

It's up to the DM.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Remind me again why anyone cares about what the OSR people think? They already HAVE an edition of D&D that caters to what they want, they should go and play THAT and stop forcing game designers to moonwalk back to the dark ages. 4E alienating the most poisonous of the D&D grognards was the best drat thing to happen to D&D in years and its not like a new edition is going to magically bring them back to the fold when they consistently hate anything that isn't exactly the same as the edition they already play. The entire point of a new edition of D&D is to draw NEW gamers into the hobby. It absolutely baffles me that D&D is this backwards bizarro world in which the most vocal MINORITY holds sway over the entire loving system like a tyrannical dictator.

Because if other people aren't playing the EXACT edition of D&D THEY are playing then they are having badwrongfun and gosh darn it they will make sure you know it.

Real answer: manchildren don't like the idea of change.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lord of Bore posted:

At least that monster list has confirmed some things, like mules are more dangerous than jackals or hyenas. Also elk are bigger threats than bandits.

Mules are assholes and elks are terrifying. This seems 100% reasonable.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Esser-Z posted:

I used the khopesh on my warforged pre-nerf Battlerager fighter so I could have an axe but also use Heavy Blade Opportunity.

He used that item that granteed more temp hp whenever you gave it to a living construct. Was basically indestructible. Good times.

God, pre-errata Battlerager was glorious. My DM HATED the combo of me + the surprisingly sticky melee cleric; in one round the DM did a hundred damage to me as some sort of passive-aggressive revenge, and the cleric healed it all back just to spite him.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Basically 5e fighters should be replaced with 2.5e ones that sever limbs on crits and interrupt casters.

So long as they have saves that say "gently caress you" then I'm fine with this.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I remember it taking a while for a rust monster to pop up in 4e, and it was relegated to a Dragon issue with the explicit warning of "look, you and I both know this isn't a very fun monster, but people have been asking for it SO here's some ways to include the monster while also not screwing your players over immensely."

I'm glad to see they completely ignored that advice.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

Hmm, not quite. Ecology of the Rust Monster (Dragon #376) came out slightly after they were already introduced in Monster Manual 2. No such warning either.

Well poo poo, I clearly remember that wrong. Whoops.

the rust monster is still a lovely and unfun monster

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

They are not as scary as they used to be because they can't effect magic items. Plus if not over used they can be quite fun to scare a party with.

The rust monster has never been scary, it's just been "this is a lovely monster meant to take away/ruin equipment." It is not fun and has never been fun.

Grimpond posted:

Where did this stupid idea for a monster even originate? How could anyone at any edition of D&D look at that and think it would be fun or fair to use?!

Supposedly Gygax (or one of his crew) made it up after using some cheapo toy figure that resembled the rust monster as we know it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

Serious post: how many of you ever encountered a rust monster while playing? I've been doing this poo poo since 2004 and never ever EVER dealt with a goddamn rust monster, as a player or as a DM in search of poo poo to throw at my players.

Once, in 3.5. It promptly ruined the head of my dwarf barbarian's axe, but given that Urist McAxebeard gave exactly zero fucks about anything that wasn't ale or skulls, promptly killed it by jamming the haft of his axe into the creature's skull.

There's this kind of unspoken gentleman's agreement that obviously unfun monsters are best left off the table.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

I legit don't know what people mean when they say 4e lacks "verisimilitude".

Neither do the people who say it :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

Nah.

Versmimilitude: This world doesn't behave the way I expect it to.

Disassociative Mechanics: The rules and the dice lead to getting in my character's head being different than it is in other RPGs I've played.

As such most people find fighters who need to worry about fatigue to be disassociative if they are used to 3.X.

That might have been how it started out but it quickly got co-opted to mean "things I don't like, which is to say 4e/Not The Version I Played When I Was 12" by people without a lick of understanding what those terms actually mean.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

greatn posted:

I really don't know what the gently caress you're talking about. They have tons of abilities and options.

Have you even read this thread or are you just trolling

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

Why do people say "it's like a videogame" like that's a bad thing? I'm assuming describing the system of rules/math as similar in ways that WoW has DPS, cooldowns and so on is supposed to be insulting? I dimply don't understand why videogames are considered a thing you wouldn't want your game to be similar to.

World of Warcraft is the best-selling RPG of all time, and grogs hate that.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

kingcom posted:

Thats what happens when you use bounded accuracy.

:thurman:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

ascendance posted:

Let's be honest here. I don't give a flying gently caress about your hurt fi-fis over the lovely play test, and how you feel your market segment has been ignored in favor of 3.5 grogtards.

You don't give a gently caress about my feelings either over the constant griping about how 5e is a worthless piece of poo poo, and everyone who plays it must suck at the teat of Tarnowski and Zak.

Which is why this thread is a cesspool of acrimony and vituperation, and why I proposed a separate thread.

If you don't like the thread then stop posting in it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

"I'm going to shut up about it."
*fart*

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

ascendance posted:

I'd rather spend my vitriol flaming MRAs, Islamophobic atheists, and people who think GamersGate is justified.

So why the gently caress do you keep posting in this thread?

People have very legit beefs with 5e and you just keep spouting bullshit that people call you out on. You'd think that'd be enough to just I dunno, stop posting here?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

All the hate for 5e in this thread is kinda weird.

A lot of it has to do with the math being completely hosed in 5e, having regressed greatly from the more mechanically tight 4e. The past few pages alone illustrate just how messed up the encounter system is, with very little of the monster XP budget making any kind of sense or approaching anything even close to balanced (which, as a DM, is something you very much need if you don't want an accidental TPK). Never mind the imbalances between classes and how something like a Bard does the gish thing better than the Eldritch Knight.

Like, it would be one thing if WotC took 3.X, streamlined it, and made the math make sense, but they didn't. It smacks of laziness and a lack of understanding of how to make a good game, and of ignoring several advances in RPG systems that have gone on over the past few years. As someone said, 5e would be a fine game in 2003, but this is 2014 and that poo poo doesn't fly anymore.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

friendlyfire posted:

Unrelated: I have always thought that playing a skeleton that has 18 Charisma would be particularly fantastic. He's always smiling.

Brook is totally a bard.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Maybe you guys can help: What do you guys for minis? I want some new ones and want to maximize my dollar. What's the best bang for my buck on painted minis that fit on a Chessex map? Currently have a handful of these guys since they were really cheap, but I'd like some actual fantasy themed ones.

Mage Knight usually sells for dirt cheap, so if you're looking for pre-painted fantasy stuff that ought to fill your need fairly easily.

The Reaper Bones line, while not pre-painted, is also pretty cheap at a couple bucks a model, and is durable enough to where you could toss a bunch of them into a bin and not worry.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mage Knight did a limited run way back that was just the models without paint (and in a different material too I think), and you can really see the detail in them even then. I have no idea if they've since done that again, but yeah, a lot of the messiness to their models is due to the piss-poor paint jobs and not the sculpts themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Red Hood posted:

Huh.

A Wizard (Necromancy) 6/Paladin (Oathbreaker) 7 can give his undead minions proficiency+charisma to damage.

That's neat I guess.

He leads them with a well-choreographed dance number.