Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

It's not a great way to present the information.
To put it mildly.
At least it is after attributes and not in an entirely different part of the statblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

quote:

Divine Intervention
Beginning at 10th level, you can call on your deity to intervene on your behalf when your need is great.
Imploring your deity’s aid requires you to use your action. Describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than your cleric level, your deity intervenes. The DM chooses the nature of the intervention; the effect of any cleric spell or cleric domain spell would be appropriate.
Yes, you can roll to ask the DM to do what he is otherwise free to do at any time (i.e. introduce something new to the narrative), but this one time he has to check and conform to the descriptions of a hundred cleric spells. :suicide:

Meanwhile,

quote:

The DM can impose more realism. For example, a suit of plate armor made for one human might not fit another one without significant alterations, and a guard’s uniform might be visibly ill-fitting when an adventurer tries to wear it as a disguise.
Using this variant, when adventurers find armor, clothing, and similar items that are made to be worn, they might need to visit an armorsmith, tailor, leatherworker, or similar expert to make the item wearable. The cost for such work varies from 10 to 40 percent of the market price of the item. The DM can either roll 1d4 x 10 or determine the increase in cost based on the extent of the alterations required.

This edition is going to be just magical. :allears:

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 5, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

treeboy posted:

Well at least it limits it to spells in your spell book. Someone mentioned limits to the number of spells a book can carry, was that just a 2e thing or could it also affect 5e?
Of course there is no such limit for wizards, maybe wait for the ~modules~.
Also note that clerics can only cast spells as rituals if they have them prepared. Wizards? Anything in their spellbooks.
Wizards are just flat out better than you, period.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Those were from the secret PHB playtest.

Maybe it's just an editing error, maybe they realised their folly.
Except for Comprehend Languages and Silence, the rituals in Basic are kinda OK, things like Detect Magic or Identify. No one should have to memorize those two, heck, they shouldn't even be in the game, but WotC is clearly trying to appeal to the MMO-Diablo2 video game crowd. :v:

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 5, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Misandu posted:

Accidentally TPKing the party is all part of your unique journey into GM-hood.
This guy. :suicide:

There goes my hope that even if they just released a homage to 3e, at least they would have learned to actually include robust DMing tools and aids during the dark years of the 4e yoke. Nope.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Underwhelmed posted:

When I played D&D (Red Box basic!) for the first time when I was like 10, I always liked to imagine that higher level characters just got tougher, like fighters had more muscle and blood to get chopped off as they leveled up. When I got a little older, and started viewing HP as an abstraction, poo poo like "cure light wounds" and healing potions being full restores for low level characters but virtually nothing for higher levels, it started to make a lot less sense. I think I eventually justified it as a tolerance that formed against it over time as characters were exposed to more and more of it over the course of their careers.
This is exactly the problem 4e fixed by introducing healing surges. Luckily, we got rid of that terrible abstract dissociated mechanic so we have to deal with either the meatpoints or the abstract-luckpoints-but-then-healing-makes-no-sense problem yet again. Those make much more sense, because tradition.

Oh, and then they just exacerbated it by making a 4e (not really) second wind mechanic for the Fighter without the 4e healing structure, so there's also the theorycrafted 'problem' of Fighters taking 20+ second winds a day to heal any injury.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Here's what's insane: 5e has healing surges. They're called "hit dice", you spend them to regain hit points after short rests, and the interesting thing about them is that while a full night's rest restores all your HP, it only restores up to half your maximum hit dice. This means that unlike surges, hit dice can to some extent model multi-day burnout/exhaustion.

But... nothing seems to use them.

You can totally imagine martial healing being like "a creature that can hear you spends a hit die" (and maybe even rolls it twice and uses the better result, or maximizes it, or whatever) while magical healing consumes spell slots but doesn't care about your hit dice at all. And yet...
Doesn't that just put more emphasis on magical healing, though?

Anyway, this is a great idea and I really hope that their 'modules' scheme will introduce something like this, but just bolting something on the core might be too little.

Because that was just the point of 4e healing surges: that everything used them. Every non-daily effect that healed you made you spend a healing surge, so you could not just go on forever with a bag full of CLW wands. Their value followed hp inflation closely, so a healing spell fixed an injured adventurer just the same on 1st and 21st level.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 10, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
No, you see, it's totally okay, they just want to sound archaic so they are using it in the 'take by force' sense.
:goonsay:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Dunno, somehow that just makes it worse.

Especially that they cut away a whole lot of follow-up text, essentially saying that this is what we want to showcase from all that purple prose.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

started off as 3.5, A lot of fiddly, complicated stuff got simplified, and casters aren't any more powerful than the other classes.
That sounds suspiciously like D&D Next. Are you saying that these guys just outnexted D&D Next in their free time, as a hobby project and without the help of a fabled :airquote:Math Team:airquote: and over 175,000 fans of D&D?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
4e had once-per-battle powers and 'short rests' that effectively served to separate battles and show when those powers were supposed to recharge. Narratively, they really were short rests, a few minutes of stretching, bandaging etc. so groups could handwave them and assume their once-per-battle powers would actually recharge for the next battle unless the DM specifically wanted to pull some long battle with waves and poo poo.

Come the 5e "design" team and their pick'n'mix approach, and they just simply lift some once-per-battle powers and then realise that they will need to include some sort of short rest as well. In an amazingly dumbfucked design decision, they decide to make these short rests take one hour, because reasons (probably because their pasty nerd asses need an hour to recover from any strenuous physical activity). As an hour long rest is much harder to justify narratively than a coffee break, this hoses classes that don't rely on Vancian powers, because gently caress jocks. If the party is not on a strict timer, i.e. they can take an hour long rest willy-nilly, they can arguably take a longer rest as well, so :smugwizard: can get their powers back, too. Mission accomplished.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
This 'all the powers feeeel the same' complaint is doubly hilarious when you consider that pre-4e how dissimilar an archer fighter, a ranger and a shortbow rogue were in combat (or more broadly speaking, any two full-attack spamming martials).

At least in 5e they make a half-hearted attempt to differentiate them somewhat.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Gort posted:

If you have encounter powers then you might be tempted to do something other than a basic attack, and who wants that?

I once grabbed a replica sword and swung it in a downward motion, but dislocated my shoulder.

Doing that stuff is pretty much the epitome of the humanely possible, I don't want some superhero poo poo in my rpg, no sirrah. :fella:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
http://www.themarysue.com/sexuality-and-gender-diversity-dungeons-and-dragons-next/

"I’m not worried about offending bigots" -- Mike Mearls, Head of Inclusivity Dept.

"We had over 175,000 people download the playtest through the open process. We also know that in most cases, the Dungeon Master for a group was the only one to download materials. So, it’s possible that over a half million people played the playtest version." -- Mike Mearls, Lead Statistician of WotC

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah, you can be a fighter X/Wizard 3 without taking three levels in wizard! How cool is that, huh?!

Basically, these Veteran Game Designers are so lacking in imagination, they even had to outsource 5e adventures.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, Mearls. He was the guy in the game stream I watched, who was in character the entire time and even seemed to be weirding out his coworkers a little.

Oh, which game was that? I'd love to see Mearls play. (Watching the Pro Lead Designer of Deendee DM like an awkward teenager was pretty hilarious.)

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks! Too bad he was surreptitiously replaced with another guy in the second session. :tinfoil:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Daetrin posted:

I mean, consider Mearls. Technically, he's on the design team for one of the most "professional" RPG systems to exist, but I'm not sure I'd consider his general behavior professional.

Speaking of which: http://failforward.co.uk/post/93348768153/how-dungeons-and-dragons-is-endorsing-the-darkest-parts

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Parkreiner posted:

It was honestly shocking to me that the designer/co-designer of genuinely innovative and ground-breaking games like Over the Edge and Ars Magica could be so completely regressive and hidebound when it came to D&D specifically (though for that matter, I find it hard to believe the BIOTRUTHS poo poo on his blog could come from a guy who wrote one word of OTE either).
I haven't heard about it, so I googled around: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Jonathan_Tweet

Holy poo poo, the guy is absolutely invested in some 1960s level evolutionary psychology bullshit, with some choice MRA-flavored bits about "high status males are adulterous BY NATURE". In 20-f*ing-11. Absolutely appalling.

What is it with this hobby constantly attracting dumb nerd rejects who are literal walking Dunning-Kruger effects?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

Generally that there's one "right" way to build a highly specialized character that does one or two things really well, and you need to plan for it, and there isn't a lot of room for flavor options that either don't go towards building the "best" character or even hamper building that "best" character.
This is absolutely true of 3e, especially 3e martial characters who need to pore over a dozen splatbooks for feats to try (and fail) to remain on parity with casters.

To a lesser degree it is also true of previous editions, but due to a total lack of character customisation options, it basically means stuff like using a STR-CON-DEX array or making sure to memorize sleep or grease on first level.

Mostly untrue of 4e (apart from putting a 18 into your primary stat), where even though many times there is a 'best' power, choosing any of the alternatives for flavor does not make the character ineffectual. Also, characters are baseline competent and after learning a few math fix feats (or receiving them for free from the DM as they are basically feat taxes), they can get away with choosing from the hundreds of racial, tribal, clan, skill boost, whatever feats for flavor much more than in 3e.

:goonsay:

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 31, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

It's entirely possible to play 4E as something more than an unending flow of combat encounters, I know this for a personal fact, just as it's possible to play 3E as a game of high political intrigue and courtly romance, but D&D as an elfgame institution has never really paid more than lip service to stuff that doesn't center around fighting and looting. If you want a game that offers more than that then you want a game that isn't D&D, and complaining that this version of D&D is worse than some other version of D&D at hypothetical roleplaying facilitation is silly.
Well, this is mostly true, but 4e at least tried to innovate in that regard with backgrounds and 5e introduced inspirations.

Hilariously though, for a sizeable portion of grognards, any non-D&D game that tried to actually facilitate roleplaying mechanically was deemed a filthy storygame not worthy to be called an rpg.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Illvillainy posted:

I mean, getting your storygame on is awesome but I would like some 4E-inspired games to be made. The game currently known as Sacred BBQ seems like the only one.
Weren't its two main innovations ditching the grid-based tactical combat and introducing storygamey elements, though?

So, uh, basically what 5e tries (and fails) to do? I guess everyone who likes 5e should try SBBQ instead. :v:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

People can find anything fun, claiming a thing is "fun" isn't really an accomplishment.
I take issue with this claim. It is well known that ever since Emperor Wotsee, the Fun Tyrant ascended to the throne, there exist only one path towards Fun and OSR people are living in constant fear and persecution for their beliefs.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Uh, are you sure you aren't thinking of, like, every other modern tabletop game in existence? SBBQ is entirely about abstraction and balanced grid-based combat.
Huh, sorry. I guess I should have tried it instead of just skim reading it half a year ago. :smith:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
I am dazzled by the Pillars of Play and Niche Protection on display.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 31, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
These look more like a Take-Over-the-Sneaky-Man's-Job feat and an Ahahah-Pillars-of-Play-Buy-Combat-Effectiveness-and-Noncombat-Boons-with-the-Same-Currency feat to me.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Lord of Bore posted:

Nothing too exciting but it's there to have a look through. I do kind of enjoy the appendix of lore materials which lists only two 4e books, that also happens to be the only books they don't even bother linking to.
It's because they couldn't have been bothered to put most of the 4e line up to drivethrurpg in the last seven months or so. WotC hates 4e so much, they don't want anything to do with 4ry money either. :v:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Remember how 4e rules explicitly encouraged players to reflavor their powers and add superficial details unique to their characters and campaigns?
Remember how anything 4e did must be buried forever and never mentioned again?

http://blog.gallegosart.com/2014/07/magic-missile.html

quote:

Visualizing Magic Missile ended up being a very interesting exercise. I mean, if you've played D&D, how have you imagined this spell? The magic "darts" can be split up to target different creatures, and though the darts never get more powerful, eventually you can cast a slew of them at once. My early thumbnails and concepts included missiles that fired off in arcs and loops. I don't know if I ever really visualized them this way before, but having to sit and think about it, that was my impression. I also saw them as very bright and maybe warm colored, trailing to maybe a cooler color, but essentially hot white.

After a number of back-and-forths with R&D via my art director, it ends up that they had a pretty specific idea for the magic missile, and that was straight, and more dart-tipped. Check.

(Yeah, it's probably overthinking it. Still, that's oddly specific.)

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Well, OD&D did describe them as 'magic arrow' and 'glowing arrow'. This edition clearly has something for everybody. :parrot:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Cant we just all agree that gnomes are by far and away the coolest race? Gnomes rule. Leaving them out was an abomination.

Gnomes are the best.

4e gnomes? The cool former slaves of the evil fey, forever wandering and hiding? Yeah, they are pretty cool.

The bland shaven dwarves with uncommonly large noses of previous editions? Uh, they don't do it for me.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Killzalot, I poo poo you not. :rimshot:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Daetrin posted:

But if it's bad enough that they want to give the GM explicit permission over a fundamental class feature...why design it that way in the first place?
Design? You mean lift it from 2e wholesale, realise it was utter poo poo, but not willing to backtrack and redo it either, because that sounds too much like woooork?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Though, if it were set in Eberron, that would own bones.
Yes, with the comparatively booming steampunk and urban fantasy genres, I could see it making quite a hit.
Especially now that everyone knows what an elf and a hobbit is.
"This dwarf is literal Sherlock Holmes and he's against the elf mafia, meanwhile mutant aliens from another dimension"

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 3, 2014

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
And 6) Just make the monsters attack them, because giving fighty guys any serviceable defence mechanic is terrible MMO bullshit for babies.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

FMguru posted:

One of the big issues with 3e was that it didn't really get broken until the supplement treadmill roared to life
Actually, no. CoDzilla was in the PHB from day one, same with Wizard.
3e was so broken they had to push out 3.5 within a few years, making it the shortest-lived D&D edition to date.

E: So beaten. :eng99:

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Not sure what you mean.
5e's revolutionary innovation is that now you can try to cajole the DM to give you a transferable reroll token by bullshitting tying your action to your background or somesuch.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Our dm didn't even bother with it because all it did was give you advantage on a roll iirc.
Yeah, my mistake, it's advantage, not a reroll.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Because any, any fantastical ability that heroes and monsters of myth and legend ever had must be traced back to a laundry list of wizard spells with exact durations and 'Range: 10 yards + 2 yards/level' specifications and thus made unappeasingly boring and mundane. That's what the D&D feeeel is all about, sorry to disappoint you.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

moths posted:

Does the assassin get to hide the rest of his party now?
No, but the wizard does. :smugwizard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

It's called imagination. Look into it.
Lol. So in the unbound vistas of your imaginaaation, the best you can come up with for high-level fighters is become a PE teacher, a general and guy who can still do what he could at 1st level, only better (i.e. does not even get the right to DM-may-I for fluff benefits).

All the while complaining about entitled unimaginative players wanting to have some mechanical support for these amazing feats of superhuman mundaneness in that oh-so-limited 320 pagecount, while conveniently ignoring that almost half of those pages are explicit narrative-monopolising bits for casters to fuel their weird wizard show with.

D&D truly causes brain damage.

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Aug 12, 2014