Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm currently listening to The Adventure Zone and Taako just destroyed 3 battle wagons with 2 spell slots and 1 die roll. Meanwhile Magnus makes like 5 rolls to get into a position where he can inconvenience one and then about as many rolls to actually do so. Almost none of this, for either character, was actually in the rules, it was just the DM making judgement calls on what he'd call fair when they tried to do stuff that weren't explicitly allowed in the rules.

And then the DM says (paraphrased) "hey Magnus your +7 Strength check modifier is starting to be a problem."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually wanted to play Frodo Baggins

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

What's a thematically appropriate beast for orcs to have with them during a raid? I know goblins like wargs and wolves, and obviously gnolls like hyenas. Should orcs have... I dunno, angry bulls?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

this sounds loving sick as hell

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

D&D 5e rejiggering the math so that you don't need a +1 weapon, but then having loot rules that yield +1 swords anyway, as well as having so little guidance on how to get the party to spend their hundreds of gold that the GM will naturally gravitate towards +1 swords out of tradition is a great example of disjointed game design.
you don't need a +1 weapon, unless you actually want to contribute in battle past like, level 5

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kingcom posted:

Nah you just need a magic weapon of some kind to bypass the resistance wall that shows up. +1 is probably the lamest answer to that tbh.
my bad, I have a habit of using "+x weapon" and "magic weapon" interchangeably because 3.P/4e

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Eberron should have been the default 4e setting

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If WotC bugfixed and made balance changes like Blizzard does for Overwatch, 5e might actually be a good game by now

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

They actually have admitted they have made mistakes and there are things they would change. The issue is that they are reluctant to patch the game because it's selling well and is well received.
so they know they hosed up and deliberately choose not to fix it because money

Glad we're on the same page :)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

I want to play in the game where "But I'm not an assassin! I'm a hired killer!" is somehow a big deal.
Discworld RPG when

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

D&D Next: being open to interpenetration does not make something bad

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I just found out DnD Beyond exists, how is it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

why would anyone want to eat a sweaty onion

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I should probably try critical role again

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't want to play with people who are "concerned" by "popcorn healing"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The greatest tragedy of 4e is they never made a videogame out of it

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I agree that Blue Mage should be a thing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

koreban posted:

Your analogy was absolute trash. If you want an RPG experience handed to you with no input at all, have a video game.

If you wanted to make a pizza analogy you could at least make the goddamn pizza yourself if you wanted to talk about how poo poo it is.
i dont want to make a pizza, im paying someone else to make a pizza for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Thanks!

I’m making individual weapons for all my players. So far i’ve got The Daggers of the First Murder for our goblin rogue, The Songbow for our lore bard, and a scythe that prevents resurrection or undeath for our hexblade chainpact warlock. Still missing a neat concept for our ranger, other than “bow but better”.

So far only Carsomyr is intelligent.
is the ranger named Hank