Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Purely for theoretical purposes, what is the most broken spell combo a 6th level wizard can hope to achieve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What game should I play instead if D&D?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Does magic jar break the game

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

New map is better and doesn't have collapsed hallways whose layout still wouldn't make sense if they weren't collapsed

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is it legal to use Shield on my familiar?

I really like using dragons breath in it, but it's super vulnerable.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm pro UA ranger. They seem really boring and underpowered with Vanilla.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm in a party doing Tomb of the Annihilator and our Lizardman UA Ranger is making the game way less of a hassle.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah, our ranger plus the Alchemist Jug we found makes jungle-trekking trivial.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wasn't this in the 3rd edition manual of the planes?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It's got dicks for arms

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Being able to grab people out of sstral travel and then disable all their magic poo poo and snip them in half is pretty cool.

I'm a wizard and I expect to die that way.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Novum posted:

Seems pretty rad to me but I have no clue what the cutting of lines is all about
When you use Astral Projection:

"...this chord is your tether to your material body. As long as the tether remains intact, you find your way home. If the chord is cut- something that can only happen if an effect states it does- your soul and body are separated, killing you instantly"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah, that seems like a great sense of urgency monster or a way to punish arrogant high level wizards.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mearls said it would not be a monster manual 3.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What is the pudding king????

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also 5e hasn't really ruined anything that wasn't already broken in previous editions as far as I can tell.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Wait what's this about surprise rounds

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The problems with D&D seem pretty intractable since they're never going to get rid of or significantly modify the ability score system and I can't see any other way to fix it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

JBP posted:

But if you go with a 13cha fighter and take the right proficiencies you're going to be ok with doing it. You're not a trained and dedicated bullshitter like a bard or a rogue but you can still be good at a few skills with standard array and proficiency.

E: DM should also give you social stuff where you can flex and bully using your str or athletics stats.

Or you could just roll a paladin!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Phones and computers at the table needs to be banned for real.

D&D should be a break from that poo poo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

In an upcoming campaign I'm running (not D&D) I'm gonna have a phone basket--do y'all think that's too out of line?

I've done it before and didn't regret it at all.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Xae posted:

It doesn't need to be WoW level +-5% or everything is DOOOOOOMMEEDDD balance, but there are a couple of subclasses that are pretty garbage with out some house rules.

There are a couple of other things like Sleep and Hypnotic Pattern that need a good whack with the nerf bat.

Sleep just needs to be re-worked. It's really powerful right when you get it but it doesn't scale well at all.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

You aren't taking wizards out as a class and I won't play if you do

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Got yelled at by someone on the internet for suggesting that taking prisoners is a waste of time in D&D as evil aligned beings aren't likely to stop being evil.

This is supported textually, correct?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How can I prevent my dragon's breath'd familiar from getting instasniped every time?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have him hide behind you. If it is small enough that should give it total cover.

And with 60ft. of movement he can still blast away. Nice!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay so when I wrote about how a Goblin is always going to be evil because the book says so, my underlying point was that you probably shouldn't concern yourself with alignment too much, because it leads you down a path of "we should just massacre every goblin ever because they're all and always evil", along with the ethical vortex that is the orcish baby.

But I feel like murdering every goblin you see is what the game wants you to do.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Glagha posted:

See, all this "goblins/orcs are evil and are always evil murder them" talk is why I was real happy when I noticed that Volo's in the section about kobolds threw in some fluff about communities sometimes having understandings with local kobolds where they have the little buggers dig them tunnels and sewers and stuff and they let them live in their little burrows under the city where it's safe. Why can't they touch on peaceful interactions with the other monster races? Why can't kingdoms hire orcish mercenaries and stuff instead of them always, exclusively, being marauding savages that burn and kill everything they encounter. Also makes it so they don't have to keep dancing around the way half-orcs are made if people can get along with orcs.

Because racism is real and correct in dungeons and dragons

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is that just a gently caress you to the martial classes?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

For a group of new players, is phandelver the best option for introducing the game?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I do own other campaign s I just hadn't run one for a group of newbs yet and never ran it before.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there no other campaign that dovetails with it? Looks like they'll be 5th level when they finish?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

LMoP mentions the characters having the chance to be inducted into various orgs. Is there any mention of this in subsequent campaigns orndo I just have to come up with something as DM?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

At 6th level they get a pretty significant boost if you're actually a necromancer. Idk if it's worth it but it would definitely be interesting.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What do you guys play for your games?

I'm gonna be playing Dopesmoker by Sleep, some psychedelic electronic stuff, phillip glass, steve reich and some generic fantasy music.

Any suggestions?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I feel like castlevania the tempo is a little too manic for gameplaying but I could be wrong I'm not super familiar with the soundtrack beyond playing through symphony of the night.

Definitely getting som John Carpenter in there.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

That's the right thing to do.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

the only time I've ever heard music during roleplaying was someone naming their character (a bandit) Shadow. and he'd never played ff6 so that theme got played every single time he did something stupid (i.e. all the time)

the wrong thing to do

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hand of Fate soundtrack is excellent if some middle-easty feeling exotica vibe doesn't throw you out of your world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOmSqBiuz8

This actually sounds like how a lot of Fearun feels to me. Nice!

Edit: this is perfect, not too intrusive but nice timbre and tone all around

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you need some really dramatic poo poo for palaces or wars, consider Philip Glass's opera about Akhenaten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAiv-LU82t4

This was already in my list, but for most D&D encounters it's a little heavy-handed.