Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

bewilderment posted:

I think it's alright, but it's basically DnD-ish rules by way of Warhammer Fantasy setting elements and occasional gruesomeness. While the book plays up the grimdark you can run a pretty standard DnD-fantasy game out of it just by not using the Corruption or Insanity rules.

The main draw of the system is the 'class-building' where as mentioned, you start as a level 0 nobody, then a level 1 warrior/rogue/magician but then when you hit level 3, you pick an 'expert path' out of 12 and you're not restricted, so you can be a warrior-wizard or a magician-gunslinger. Then at level 7 you pick an 'expert path' out of 64, though 32 of them are just magic schools and variants like Aeromancer. So you can be a Rogue-Druid-Aeromancer if you feel like.

The class benefits are also staggered, so when you hit level 6 you get your final warrior benefit or whatever, instead of just being your expert path through and through. Even your ancestry matters - when you hit level 4 you get the choice of picking another spell from a school you know, or getting an ancestry benefit.

That sounds nice from a character-building-freedom kind of way, but it does sound like a bit of a balance nightmare. I'll certainly give it a look, looks like there's an SRD for it here if anyone else is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

BinaryDoubts posted:

Not to clog the 5e thread with Demonchat but I've been running a campaign in Shadow of the Demon Lord and it's gone great. Combat (with the zones rules from the Forbidden Rules supplement) is nice and fast, the class system is fun to gently caress around with (but not too complicated) and as a GM, I find it pretty easy to just make up monsters and spells on the fly.

"If you didn’t want to see blood and faeces flying out of writhing, living intestines, you came to the wrong place."

Hmm. I... don't want to see that?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

So I ended up asking a bunch of people whether or not they were interested in playing in my campaign, because in my experience roughly half of them flake out before their character sheets are done. But I managed a very high success rate, and now have 7 characters ready for the first session. I know challenge rating is based on four-member parties, so does anyone have advice that is better than the official rules about how to balance difficulty for larger parties? I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go along, but I'd rather the first few sessions not be braindead easy or TPKs.

Generally speaking you want to increase the number of enemy threats rather than the severity of them, and try not to focus-fire too much. If a four-person party can handle four skeletons (for example), your party should face seven (or a couple more, as larger parties tend to have more synergy and greater access to area spells) rather than a skeletal giant that will one-shot one of your characters and leave the rest unscathed.

efb

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's a good thing that you argued her out of playing what she wanted to play because

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Why's it always a Scottish accent with dwarves?

Huh? Gimli was from the West Country.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

VaultAggie posted:

Mammon is my go to fiend for warlocks. He's the rare devil who will trade power for gold, instead of souls. So I just offer him a gently caress ton of my loot and he gives me power and we both walk away happy.

So he's just like a shopkeeper? He doesn't sound all that evil.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

He pretty much the embodiment of Greed. (Also more then any other Major Devil kind of a petty rear end in a top hat) his mortal cult is also second in size only to Asmodeus, as greed and obtaining wealth appaels to lots of creatures.

You're not going to be able to hold your head up in devil society if all you can bring to the table is "I gave a guy power for a reasonable amount of gold". That's just a transaction.

"We both walk away happy" doesn't sound like a literal devil's deal to me. Sniff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

GoingPostal posted:

I would guess to try and differentiate between those that know how to play, but couldn't carry a tune if you gave them a bucket to put it in, and the ones that can actually play well and expressively?

That sure does sound like a worthwhile distinction in a game about going into dungeons and fighting dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

DM rolls stealth checks?