Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This would be neat, with the right group.

Helen Keller amnesiacs? hmm maybe

in all seriousness though I really want to play a memento style archaeologist who keeps making amazing finds that everyone else already knows about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I always thought a game where you start with only the absolute most basic parts of your character set in stone (EG: "I am a human") at level 1, levelled up quickly and chose stuff like one power/feat/feature per level would be a good way to go. Too many games these days have you make shitloads of irrevocable character decisions right out of the gate, when you're least familiar with the mechanics.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah, but it would exhaust the poor DM.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, but it would exhaust the poor DM.

Obvious solution there is to just give each player another player's sheet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Tambo posted:

Obvious solution there is to just give each player another player's sheet.
ok that could be pretty fun

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

this is a potentially interesting idea for a tabletop game held back by framing it as just a dnd campaign

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

this is a potentially interesting idea for a tabletop game held back by framing it as just a dnd campaign

That has always been the case throughout D&D's history. People always laud its versatility without ever realizing they really want to play another game and not D&D. Hell, there were a ton of pbp games here during 4e that were mecha anime or sci-fi or something that people kept running in D&D.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gort posted:

I always thought a game where you start with only the absolute most basic parts of your character set in stone (EG: "I am a human") at level 1, levelled up quickly and chose stuff like one power/feat/feature per level would be a good way to go. Too many games these days have you make shitloads of irrevocable character decisions right out of the gate, when you're least familiar with the mechanics.

Shadow of the Demon Lord does this, although you're also super fragile. You start as a level 0 member of your ancestry (that game's term for 'race' which I think works a lot better) and then at level 1 you pick warrior, rogue or magician, possibly based on what you did at level 0. The GM is encouraged to do things like sprinkle scrolls throughout the starter adventure to see who's into magic, and so forth.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Shadow of the Demon Lord does this, although you're also super fragile. You start as a level 0 member of your ancestry (that game's term for 'race' which I think works a lot better) and then at level 1 you pick warrior, rogue or magician, possibly based on what you did at level 0. The GM is encouraged to do things like sprinkle scrolls throughout the starter adventure to see who's into magic, and so forth.

Sounds interesting. Is the game itself any good?

Edit: Why did they call the world "Urth"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gort posted:

Sounds interesting. Is the game itself any good?

Edit: Why did they call the world "Urth"

I think it's alright, but it's basically DnD-ish rules by way of Warhammer Fantasy setting elements and occasional gruesomeness. While the book plays up the grimdark you can run a pretty standard DnD-fantasy game out of it just by not using the Corruption or Insanity rules.

The main draw of the system is the 'class-building' where as mentioned, you start as a level 0 nobody, then a level 1 warrior/rogue/magician but then when you hit level 3, you pick an 'expert path' out of 12 and you're not restricted, so you can be a warrior-wizard or a magician-gunslinger. Then at level 7 you pick an 'expert path' out of 64, though 32 of them are just magic schools and variants like Aeromancer. So you can be a Rogue-Druid-Aeromancer if you feel like.

The class benefits are also staggered, so when you hit level 6 you get your final warrior benefit or whatever, instead of just being your expert path through and through. Even your ancestry matters - when you hit level 4 you get the choice of picking another spell from a school you know, or getting an ancestry benefit.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

bewilderment posted:

I think it's alright, but it's basically DnD-ish rules by way of Warhammer Fantasy setting elements and occasional gruesomeness. While the book plays up the grimdark you can run a pretty standard DnD-fantasy game out of it just by not using the Corruption or Insanity rules.

The main draw of the system is the 'class-building' where as mentioned, you start as a level 0 nobody, then a level 1 warrior/rogue/magician but then when you hit level 3, you pick an 'expert path' out of 12 and you're not restricted, so you can be a warrior-wizard or a magician-gunslinger. Then at level 7 you pick an 'expert path' out of 64, though 32 of them are just magic schools and variants like Aeromancer. So you can be a Rogue-Druid-Aeromancer if you feel like.

The class benefits are also staggered, so when you hit level 6 you get your final warrior benefit or whatever, instead of just being your expert path through and through. Even your ancestry matters - when you hit level 4 you get the choice of picking another spell from a school you know, or getting an ancestry benefit.

That sounds nice from a character-building-freedom kind of way, but it does sound like a bit of a balance nightmare. I'll certainly give it a look, looks like there's an SRD for it here if anyone else is interested.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Not to clog the 5e thread with Demonchat but I've been running a campaign in Shadow of the Demon Lord and it's gone great. Combat (with the zones rules from the Forbidden Rules supplement) is nice and fast, the class system is fun to gently caress around with (but not too complicated) and as a GM, I find it pretty easy to just make up monsters and spells on the fly.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

BinaryDoubts posted:

Not to clog the 5e thread with Demonchat but I've been running a campaign in Shadow of the Demon Lord and it's gone great. Combat (with the zones rules from the Forbidden Rules supplement) is nice and fast, the class system is fun to gently caress around with (but not too complicated) and as a GM, I find it pretty easy to just make up monsters and spells on the fly.

"If you didn’t want to see blood and faeces flying out of writhing, living intestines, you came to the wrong place."

Hmm. I... don't want to see that?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I ended up asking a bunch of people whether or not they were interested in playing in my campaign, because in my experience roughly half of them flake out before their character sheets are done. But I managed a very high success rate, and now have 7 characters ready for the first session. I know challenge rating is based on four-member parties, so does anyone have advice that is better than the official rules about how to balance difficulty for larger parties? I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go along, but I'd rather the first few sessions not be braindead easy or TPKs.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

That sort of thing is the province of the 'Forbidden' spell school which is pretty clearly marked in the book with a big icon that means "this is really meant for evil NPCs, not heroes".
Although there is an illustration in the book of one guy's flesh melting off his skeleton while his buddy both vomits and presumably shits blood.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Quixzlizx posted:

So I ended up asking a bunch of people whether or not they were interested in playing in my campaign, because in my experience roughly half of them flake out before their character sheets are done. But I managed a very high success rate, and now have 7 characters ready for the first session. I know challenge rating is based on four-member parties, so does anyone have advice that is better than the official rules about how to balance difficulty for larger parties? I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go along, but I'd rather the first few sessions not be braindead easy or TPKs.

increase enemy groups by about half again, do not focus fire under any circumstances. CR is at best a loose guideline anyway, so it's not like it can work much worse than it normally does.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

Generally speaking you want to increase the number of enemy threats rather than the severity of them, and try not to focus-fire too much. If a four-person party can handle four skeletons (for example), your party should face seven (or a couple more, as larger parties tend to have more synergy and greater access to area spells) rather than a skeletal giant that will one-shot one of your characters and leave the rest unscathed.

efb

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

"Don't focus fire" is a good guideline in general, but it becomes super important when you're upsizing encounters for a bigger party. Upping the number of monsters to scale to the number of PCs is a good way to do it, but you need to remember that upping the number of PCs doesn't necessarily help any individual PC.

Also, threats to an individual PC are probably better thought of as being multiplactive rather than additive (I mean, as a guideline, not as in that's how the game wath works). The threat gap between 2 and 3 kobolds is bigger than that between 1 and 2. A PC that can handle 3-4 baddies at once might unexpectedly melt if faced with 5-6 because it's suddenly much more difficult than you'd expect it to be.

e: Wow, I'm unclear this morning.

Think of it like this. Assume you're solo fighting multiple dudes* and are gonna kill one opponent per round. Your opponents average 3 damage per round, which isn't much.

You fight 1 dude who does average 3 damage per round. Round one you take 3 damage, round 2 it's over and you've taken 3 damage.

You fight 2 dudes who do average 3 damage per round. Round one you take 6 damage, round 2 you take 3 damage, round 3 it's over and you've taken 9 damage.

You fight 3 dudes who do average 3 damage per round. Round one you take 9 damage, round 2 you take 6 damage, round 3 you take 3 damage, round 4 it's over and you've taken 18 damage.

You fight 4 dudes etc, 12, 9, 6, 3. 30 damage.

5 dudes, 15, 12, 9, 6, 3. 45 damage.

A PC who can absorb 18 damage in a tough fight is probably gonna be screwed if they start taking 45 instead.

*Or the whole party will kill one opponent per round etc, but all the bad guys have dogpiled one PC.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 21, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Gort posted:

Generally speaking you want to increase the number of enemy threats rather than the severity of them, and try not to focus-fire too much. If a four-person party can handle four skeletons (for example), your party should face seven (or a couple more, as larger parties tend to have more synergy and greater access to area spells) rather than a skeletal giant that will one-shot one of your characters and leave the rest unscathed.

efb

i would advise exactly the opposite. go somewhere between 125-150% of what you'd normally run. in this example, five or six skeletons, not seven or eight or nine. more enemies gets deadlier fast in 5e, even moreso than in previous editions because of the scaling changes.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Joeslop posted:

there's too many systems overlaid, it'd grind everything to a halt. It also makes it a pain for spellcasters who don't have the book, since they can't write it down or organise cheatsheets.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think of it as number of PC attacks vs monster attacks in a round. Total PC attacks plus two in a round can end up being pretty challenging so long as you got the monster stats and spells dialed in properly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gort posted:

efb
Don't upscale all the monsters, but a skeleton++ monster instead of two skeletons is well and fine and can give the combat a bit more focus. Keep in mind though that whether a skeleton with two attacks and double the HP is tougher or weaker than two regular skeletons depends on party composition. If they're mainly going to be wailing on it with sticks it's tougher, since it'll still be doing two attacks at half HP while two skeletons would be dead by then. If they're heavy on the debuffs it'll be weaker, since you can knock two skeletonsworth of attacks out with one target. Having the skeleton++ drop one of its swords and lose an attack (or drops its one sword and start dealing half damage with claws) will solve the first problem, the latter's a bit fiddlier.

Replacing three skeletons with two 1.5 skeletons is a bit more straightforward.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

My paladin just hit 6 and I'm considering taking warlock 1 instead of pal 6. Thoughts?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elendil004 posted:

My paladin just hit 6 and I'm considering taking warlock 1 instead of pal 6. Thoughts?

But you get the awesome aura at Pal 6. +2 to saves for you and your allies.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MonsterEnvy posted:

it's partially narrative, in game we just essentially discovered a new archfey and island and poo poo so it makes sense now for my guy to be like "hey let's make a deal"

Plus I am a paladin of Bane, if my allies can't make their saves they don't deserve to survive.

edit: the other part is because I wanna smite all day and all night

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 22, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

it's partially narrative, in game we just essentially discovered a new archfey and island and poo poo so it makes sense now for my guy to be like "hey let's make a deal"

Plus I am a paladin of Bane, if my allies can't make their saves they don't deserve to survive.

There was some discussion earlier in the thread about warlock/paladin stuff synergising. I can't remember the details, though, sorry.

But it sounds like you already know you're gonna do it because it'll make a fun story. So do it.

e: Is there anything in the rulebook or errata or twitter about what happens if you have extra attacks from more than one source? Like Extra Attack from Fighter or Paladin and then Thirsting Blade as an eldritch invocation?

Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

I guess the straight reading is "they don't stack", but it wouldn't be the first time the obvious reading has been contradicted later.

MonsterEnvy posted:

+ cha mod.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 22, 2017

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AlphaDog posted:

There was some discussion earlier in the thread about warlock/paladin stuff synergising. I can't remember the details, though, sorry.

From what I remember/think the main benefit is spell slots that return on short rests for more smiting.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

AlphaDog posted:

e: Is there anything in the rulebook or errata or twitter about what happens if you have extra attacks from more than one source? Like Extra Attack from Fighter or Paladin and then Thirsting Blade as an eldritch invocation?

Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
You can attack with your pact weapon twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

I guess the straight reading is "they don't stack", but it wouldn't be the first time the obvious reading has been contradicted later.
Covered in the PHB, p. 164.

PHB posted:

If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don't add together. You can't make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter's version of Extra Attack does). Similarly, the warlock's eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn't give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Our rogue just left our campaign. How bad would it be to dip into a level of rogue as a way of the open palm monk for thieves tools, expertise in thieves tools, expertise in stealth, sneak attack, and proficiency on one of the rogue's skills (probably insight since my int is garbage).
I'm a level 5 monk right now for reference.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

From what I remember/think the main benefit is spell slots that return on short rests for more smiting.

Yes! That was the big one! There might have been another interaction with Smite too? Something to do with reach or range?

MMAgCh posted:

Covered in the PHB, p. 164.

Thanks!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Ran my first session of Rise of the Runelords in 5e.

It went well! The first encounters with the goblins were pretty easy, and they managed to save a bunch of townspeople. They seem to be intent on being friendly to the townspeople, so that should make the emotional punches later on in the plot all the better.

I had a bit of a grognard moment when someone wanted to play a dragonborn. There aren't any dragonborn in Pathfinder for starters, but she was so insistent that they were as iconic as elves or dwarves in a fantasy world.

I never really liked dragonborn, and they feel very shoehorned into Forgotten Realms. Pretty much the only world they make sense to me in is Dragonlance. I showed her that they were really only mainstream in 4e, and were written into the system wholesale after that. She ended up playing an Orc and I think she's happy with it. It was just a funny moment to me, because I had always thought of 5e as a updated ruleset, but it really changes the lore as well.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 22, 2017

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
That seems pretty weird. Dragonlance is probably the world where it seems the least likely for Dragonborn to be there, unless you are playing 4e and using the variant that is actually a Draconian.

They definitely fit in Forgotten Realms, since that is both a kitchen sink setting, and they were specifically added in in the update to 4e. And 5e is basically set in Forgotten Realms and they are available in that.

That said they have been around for a long time. 4e Dragonborn are a bit different from 3.x. in that in 4e they are a race rather than a template. And if you are just looking at dragonmen, there have been all kinds for decades, half-dragons of course but others as well.

That said is Rise of the Runelords in Forgotten Realms? Or is it in the Pathfinder setting? Because who knows what races technically exist in that setting.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

RC Cola posted:

Our rogue just left our campaign. How bad would it be to dip into a level of rogue as a way of the open palm monk for thieves tools, expertise in thieves tools, expertise in stealth, sneak attack, and proficiency on one of the rogue's skills (probably insight since my int is garbage).
I'm a level 5 monk right now for reference.

The thing with trying to get Sneak Attack is that it narrows down your already-narrow list of weapons a monk can use.
Otherwise :shrug: yeah, more skill profs never seems to hurt anything.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

That said is Rise of the Runelords in Forgotten Realms? Or is it in the Pathfinder setting? Because who knows what races technically exist in that setting.

it's set in Golarion, which is also a kitchen sink setting

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Given that Pathfinder is a clone of D&D I'd be shocked if there wasn't a dragon-dude race somewhere in there.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Skellybones posted:

Given that Pathfinder is a clone of D&D I'd be shocked if there wasn't a dragon-dude race somewhere in there.

you've forgotten pathfinder's core founding principle: gently caress 4e

dragonborn weren't introduced in 4e, but that's where everyone knows them from, so there are no pathfinder dragonborn other than the half-dragon template

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's even a whole book of monstrous PC races and it doesn't have dragon people

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
You don't understand. Dragonborn are too powergamey.

*Plays CoDZilla exclusively*

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

SerCypher posted:

I had a bit of a grognard moment when someone wanted to play a dragonborn. There aren't any dragonborn in Pathfinder for starters, but she was so insistent that they were as iconic as elves or dwarves in a fantasy world.

I never really liked dragonborn, and they feel very shoehorned into Forgotten Realms. Pretty much the only world they make sense to me in is Dragonlance. I showed her that they were really only mainstream in 4e, and were written into the system wholesale after that. She ended up playing an Orc and I think she's happy with it. It was just a funny moment to me, because I had always thought of 5e as a updated ruleset, but it really changes the lore as well.

Lmao your player wanted to have fun and you harassed them over wanting the "wrong fun" and forced them to do something else because it hurt your sensibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
I may never understand the mindset of wanting to DM a setting someone else wrote and also strictly adhering to the lore. Like, who gives a gently caress?