Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Could you go into more detail about what you mean by the paladin flaunting authority over the DM?

Is he just literally a kind of poo poo player who wants to gently caress up the narrative for the GM/other players as a power trip?

The authority I'm talking about was more the NPC authority over us. We're members of some kind of group (the exact nature of it wasn't clear because the guy really isn't a strong communicator.) He just doomed one of the NPC members to an eternity of stone right in front of his superiors and during a routine dust-up while making camp, the other guy threw a goblin head at said superior. Later the Paladin started mocking the guy with the stone finger from our companion.

I feel like if you murdered the assistant manager at McDonald's there'd be some problems about that, and even more if you start laughing at your boss for him taking offense at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The DM's response was to have the guy in a completely fair fistfight against the NPC leader and of course the leader lost horribly.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hexblade: "Once per rest you can do what a forge Cleric can do once per round"

wowee

Like swinging with charisma is cool but the invocations weren't really exciting for them. I like what they did on the other ones though

edit: Oh okay it picks up at level 14

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 13, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Looking at two options for Adventurer's League -- either a kenku monk or some kind of war cleric. Any thoughts/suggestions either way? And if I were to go war cleric, is there anything fun in Volo's/SCAG/EEPC that would add some zazz to it?

Basically I just wanna fight people and have neat utility and tricks and both of those look a fun way to go.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

The cantrips in SCAG may work for clerics, But I have not checked.

They're for sorcerers, warlocks and wizards. An Arcane Cleric could pick some up but those guys didn't look too exciting to me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

koreban posted:

I would recommend against kenku anything in AL.

You run into literalists in AL who will expect you to conform to RAW, for everything. It's tightly controlled play setting, and it only allows you to choose from a single auxillary resource aside from the PHB. So you can get Volos, or SCAG, or EEPC, but not more than one.

I kind of figured the imperative to get the show on the road in AL would cut into the RP and certainly the expectation that Kenku speak in sounds, or is there some other big issue other than eating up supplement space?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone done the Tempest Cleric into Sorcerer multiclass? Is it really worth bailing on cleric at 2 and just having one Channel Divinity per short rest?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What could I do for an Undying Light familiar? None of the listed ones are really on point flavor-wise. The things that came to mind as representing the spark of life would be like a bound Will o the Wisp or a miniature golem. Is there any guidance or useful outside material on adapting a custom familiar?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

After looking at making my cleric have a sailor background I fell in love with the ideas about Umberlee. I love that there's a chaotic evil deity with differently aligned clerics. I love the idea that she's goddamn universally despised but even Dwarves -- hell, maybe Dwarves most of all -- recognize that if you want to make it back to shore alive, there's some goddamned rules you have to follow. I'm really hoping I get the opportunity to chastise people and shout that until they've drawn lots to decide which crewman gets sacrificed to the wine-dark deep in the midst of a storm, nobody gets to hate the Bitch Queen of the Depths as much as I do.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I suspect our complicated relationship is going to make for a very awkward Divine Intervention use one day.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's a pretty cool thing made possible by not having to follow the "one-step" alignment rule or whatever it was. It feels like a very Moby Dick type relationship with the sea rather than what would otherwise inevitably be a bunch of dipshit "hell yes, death is awesome" cultists.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Adventurer's League was a disaster. They put me and a friend, level 1s, in with level 9s who were supreme fuckups. So within 5 minutes the airship we were on is crashing to the ground, we have no methods to save ourself and it takes incredibly generous DMing for us to not just immediately die.

Within 10 minutes we're enslaved by a loving dragon. We have nothing we can do about this because we're level goddamn 1. By the time we get out, they decide they want to do the objective the dragon wanted them to do despite having their own free will. My character, far from home, with no connection to these chaotic murder hobo fuckups, etc., would just leave but I'm at a table so it's not really an option.

Apparently all this mess happened because somehow early in the season they blew up one of the hub towns and have been struggling to catch back to the plot ever since.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The airship got blown up because the wizard somehow got cursed with Wild Magic and rolled the "everything you touch catches fire" part while he's near the balloon part. The other guy had tried to "powerlevel" by burning a forest down and was thus cursed by an archfey to have flowers grow out of his ears, partially deafening him.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I tend not to care about nature hippie stuff in RPGs. Is there any interesting druid specialization that lets you do fun poo poo other than just "I like animals and heal spells?" Maybe some subtly malevolent "you're in the wrong fuckin neighborhood, city boy" type Fey guardian? I mean obviously you can flavor that with whatever, but all the mechanical directions I've seen for them look really samey.

edit: Also, Circle of the Shepherd is literally the cartoon Brave Starr, minus Speed of the Puma.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 18, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I actually realized a Circle of Land/Swamp Druid seems really fun for the story I'm going into. They're not particularly dreck or anything, are they? I was gonna pitch one as a fir bolg.

edit: Man the concept is great but jesus Grass just dunks on everything with its spell list

edit 2: Oh hey Circle of Twilight from UA does what I'm trying to do with less ambiguity.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Fir bolg's innate Detect Magic/Disguise Self ability still costs a spell slot right?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It occurs to me that when my Fir Bolg goes into cities under Disguise Self to do shopping, he's gonna have to be all "actually do you have that armor in a sextuple-XL? ..... It's for a friend"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Is there a way to make my eldritch blast cantrip do fire or radiant damage, to take advantage of the +cha mod damage with those elements that Undying Light gives me?

I don't think so but if you go blade lock you can use Green-Flame Blade. At first you'll stab a guy and fire+CHA another. Then you'll start stabbing a guy and fire+CHAing both. When something hits you, you can Hellish Rebuke for more fire+CHA damage. If you make it to level 12, you can stack Necrotic damage on top of GFB with Lifedrinker. Unfortunately Thirsting Blade, while good, doesn't interact with Green-Flame Blade because even though you're attacking, the actual action is casting a cantrip. But if you can use UA, you can pick up Improved Pact Weapon instead of Thirsting Blade. Unfortunately the Improved/Superior/Ultimate Pact Weapon invocations are the only thing the UA has for you if you go Undying Light. There's no other invocations in there that work for you, no matter what boon.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 20, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If two traits would add the same modifier to damage (e.g. Sorcerer's Elemental Affinity and Undying Light Warlock's first trait) do you double dip and get to add the modifier twice?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Moonbeam is fuckin weird because your inclination is that moving it over something will hurt it but its damage triggers on turn starts and when it enters the beam (but only once per turn). So unless they're put in a situation where they have to run through it, you have to hope your concentration holds out before you can even get one guaranteed damage event.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Presumably a lot of them are encouraged to sort of improvise splashy sounding things despite them having no mechanical backing because it's more exciting than "I roll attack." Like, sure, Telekinesis was never intended to become the more powerful cousin of Cloud of Knives, but fudging some math for it keeps the show going rather than dialing everything backward and being a spoilsport like "for gently caress's sake just roll something that actually has a damage listed on it."

Or like okay, Witch Bolt actually doesn't work that way, but it's probably better for the show as a whole if the guest star who's new to D&D doesn't get reviled by fans for permakilling half the team just because she didn't know spamming Eldritch Blast is superior DPR.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I mean I wouldn't run a home session like Mercer does but he's got to balance the needs of the game against the needs of the show. There's very much a "yes and" thing going on with them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any reason except DM fiat that I couldn't have a small character ride a Swarm beast through Find Steed? (I don't really see a mechanical benefit to it since the rider wouldn't take on the Swarm stat. It's just cool as hell -- edit: I guess the mount prone immunity)

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 22, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

http://dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/post/147716547969/princess-class-by-by-impersonater

This is loving amazing in how absurd it is. I absolutely must find a game that will let me run it and then do the most ridiculous things possible with it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you have Conjure Animals, why not just summon 8 cows in spaces you can see above your enemies

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Chaotic Evel.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause it would be mean to the cows. The enemies would get a dex save to dodge the cows.

Jesus, every time I try to find something fun in druid, I walk away like "why does anyone play this class"

Edit: pretend I was responding to the post about the DM picking the animals. drat phoneposting

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I've looked at Sage Advice and asked the rules developer but just in case there's anywhere else with a definitive ruling on this that I haven't seen:

An enemy breaks off from me provoking an opportunity attack. With War Caster, I respond and tag him with Booming Blade. Jeremy Crawford has said nothing compels the target to move, but it's unclear whether they change their mind before or after the initial 5 feet, and whether that first 5 feet would set off the boom. The rules for OAs feel like they're trying to have it both ways, responding to an action that's already happened but then rewinding the movement as if it hadn't happened just to avoid the problems of attacking at 10 feet.

Anyone got a good definitive answer or at least instructive analogous rule situation?

Basically I'm trying to decide if

1) The enemy moves its 5 feet but can't move further without booming
2) The enemy moves its 5 feet and instantly booms
or
3) The enemy can and must stop before moving 5 feet to avoid the boom

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 25, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cool. This could be fun with Flaming Sphere. Thanks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone seen or heard good stories about someone trying to pull a fast one on a god using Commune? I know it's written with enough outs that you can't just automatically enslave a god, but I feel like if you pick your mark and your ambitions correctly, you might convince an ambivalent god or perhaps a trickster god that appreciates your audacity to do something cool for you with the old "will your answer to the following question be 'no'" trick.

I could imagine some gods getting a kick out of it, helping a hero out, and being like "ps if you ever try that again, you'll watch your own balls wither and die on the vine"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mendrian posted:

I'm confused by point of this scheme and would like to know more.

When someone's actually bound to give a yes or no answer, you ask what their answer to the following question will be and then shape the followup to get them to agree to something they otherwise might not. E.g. "will you answer the following question in the affirmative?" They say no, so your question becomes "would you please refrain from smiting my enemies?"

Commune gives plenty of outs in the way it's written to ensure you couldn't just saunter up to any god with a 5th level spell and have their balls in a vise. But there's plenty of room for DM discretion to have a god that is either amused by your audacity or who doesn't view helping you as "contrary to their interests." Or like BlandName's example, just an opportunity to walk away with a good story about how you altered the future and a god nearly murdered you for it.

There's a bunch of outs but Commune takes the form of a pretty common trick, so I figured there might be some people who had good stories about trying to pull a fast one on a god. It'd certainly beat the million or so "we houseruled that natural 20 = automatic success even on skill checks/regardless of DC" stories, which are the only time I see anyone pulling one over on the gods.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 26, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there any function or magic jar type shenanigan that would allow one to build themselves a golem body and make use of it?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Roll20 DM just hadda look up the name of the kingdom in the campaign he made up himself

like -- the grand overall setting

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 27, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay but he's got our kobolds attacking with STR despite using finesse weapons and says we can cast cantrips twice in a turn because of a misread on how action + bonus action works. It was funny to get stabbed with a dagger and watch it bounce helplessly off my clothes once, but...

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

you can't get a fox with find familiar though

Just reskin a weasel.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gonna be starting a game with a Kenku monk and have the option of starting the first level as a rogue. Am I going to see returns soon enough to justify trying an assassin/shadow monk multiclass or is that really only going to pay off on those hypothetical 1-20 grand campaigns?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I figure being a monk (and one on a path of redemption and self-discovery) gives him an excuse to be a little more reticent and not have to [Chants makes a bunch of noises that you understand to mean "we should ask this bard if he's heard anything about the Lich Lord."] But he could call on his criminal past for less savory things like interrogations, on his fighting training for battle communication -- "Again! Again!" "I said FORM of the turtle, not speed!" -- and occasionally drop some appropriate zen nonsense into a conversation when he's got something that's good for the moment. But yeah there's definitely great opportunities to use someone's words against them.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kenku get bonuses in dex and wisdom which makes them good monks. And for people who care about it, a monastic setting is good for someone whose speech is restricted.

It's also probably a lot harder to figure out RP for some other combinations. Once a wizard starts getting pretty far along, how's he ever going to hear the verbal components for his high-level spells so he can mimic them, for example? And mimicry is really handy for some social situations but lack of original speech is gonna make it really hard to be the party's face, which might be expected of charisma-based classes.

Really the more I think about it, it's kind of remarkable any time a Kenku ends up something other than a rogue or monk.

edit: Oh and there's probably people who want to make their Kenku east-Asian flavored because of their origins as Crow Tengu from folklore.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I see I'm not the only one who realized this but UA Way of the Kensei is trying to accommodate people who want to be samurai or whatever, but they're also creating monks who can immediately turn a 1d1 blowgun into 1d4 that scales and miraculously does its bonus pummeling damage at any range. It doesn't seem overpowered to me but it does seem incredibly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Oh yeah, they're a good fit there too, huh. I kind of forget Ranger exists because I kind of hate nature-type characters. I got a go-ahead to be a Firbolg Druid once because I do think Firbolg are kind of neat, but as I was planning it out I was like "man Druid feels fuckin BORING" and asked to change.