Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crabcakes66 posted:

It's not like we have a stockpile of 50 thousand TLAMs sitting around.

I had to seriously step up my Harpoon game once I started playing scenarios with realistic weapons stores and you couldn't destroy Soviet-controlled Keflavik or Orland just by slinging lots of stand-off weapons against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I had to seriously step up my Harpoon game once I started playing scenarios with realistic weapons stores and you couldn't destroy Soviet-controlled Keflavik or Orland just by slinging lots of stand-off weapons against them.

What game is this?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What game is this?

One of those, I presume.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Theres a pen and paper version of Harpoon and it is possibly the most :sperg: thing I have ever seen in my life

No-one will play it with me :(

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Darkman Fanpage posted:

What game is this?

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations is the most recent Harpoon-like game that I know of and it has plenty of scenarios that qualify (listed in the "See Also" in the wiki link for Harpoon). It's pretty decent, but pricey even if it's on a good sale. I haven't played the modern scenarios much, and it seems like the J-20 or whatever the Chinese ripoff of the F35 is called is probably way unrealistic in game, but otherwise the naval part is really nice. Except for anything involving swarms of backfires firing supersonic missiles at you - even knowing the scenarios I seem to have issues getting enough F-14's up with enough missiles far enough out to intercept a decent amount of bombers before they can launch.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MikeCrotch posted:

Theres a pen and paper version of Harpoon and it is possibly the most :sperg: thing I have ever seen in my life

No-one will play it with me :(

No one would ever play this with me, either.

I also didn't have six friends...

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Pervis posted:

Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations is the most recent Harpoon-like game that I know of and it has plenty of scenarios that qualify (listed in the "See Also" in the wiki link for Harpoon). It's pretty decent, but pricey even if it's on a good sale. I haven't played the modern scenarios much, and it seems like the J-20 or whatever the Chinese ripoff of the F35 is called is probably way unrealistic in game, but otherwise the naval part is really nice. Except for anything involving swarms of backfires firing supersonic missiles at you - even knowing the scenarios I seem to have issues getting enough F-14's up with enough missiles far enough out to intercept a decent amount of bombers before they can launch.

That was always a pretty legit issue. Missile swarms are scary. Modern Russian ASM swarms are really scary, thankfully they don't have the stocks they used to.

The Chinese are getting there though.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Straight from the horse's mouth, folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZGnStL6F0

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Reviving a long-dead thread because of some related news: this year's NDAA may again ban the Air Force from retiring the A-10 in favor of the F-35.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

This will probably keep happening forever since the F35 will never be as good at CAS as the A-10 unless they build a F35D which is actually an A10 but painted stealth dark grey.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It'll keep happening until a group of Eastern European "pro-Moscow separatist freedom fighters" gun down a four-ship with "equipment looted from government arsenals," or John McCain dies/retires and gives up Arizona's senior seat in the Armed Services Committee, whichever comes first.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Dead Reckoning posted:

It'll keep happening until a group of Eastern European "pro-Moscow separatist freedom fighters" gun down a four-ship with "equipment looted from government arsenals," or John McCain dies/retires and gives up Arizona's senior seat in the Armed Services Committee, whichever comes first.

which is real stupid because chances are the occasional downed a10 more than pays for itself in murican soldiers and tax dollars spent on murican soldiers saved

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Even with the most generous possible interpretation of the value of an individual soldier's life, that's a pretty specious claim.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The A-10 was designed to be an expendable anti-tank weapon. The Air Force estimated that if Soviet tanks came pouring across the Fulda Gap the 1,000 strong A-10 fleet would be mostly lost in the first few weeks of the war. I don't think anyone expected it to survive longer than it took to zap a column of T-72s before going down in flames. It seems reasonable that the Air Force wants to get rid of a literal deathtrap from the 70s in favor of a newer, sleeker plane that would result in less mass pilotdeath (at least in theory).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Not to mention A-10s aren't really doing traditional CAS - low and slow doesn't work in a world where every shitheel warlord can buy surplus Soviet MANPADS. Low and slow becomes a liability.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not to mention A-10s aren't really doing traditional CAS - low and slow doesn't work in a world where every shitheel warlord can buy surplus Soviet MANPADS. Low and slow becomes a liability.

You can fit GPS guided bombs on a lot of things so there is no need to pay for this white elephant other than graft.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

The A-10 was designed to be an expendable anti-tank weapon. The Air Force estimated that if Soviet tanks came pouring across the Fulda Gap the 1,000 strong A-10 fleet would be mostly lost in the first few weeks of the war. I don't think anyone expected it to survive longer than it took to zap a column of T-72s before going down in flames. It seems reasonable that the Air Force wants to get rid of a literal deathtrap from the 70s in favor of a newer, sleeker plane that would result in less mass pilotdeath (at least in theory).

As I understand it, that's not because the A-10 was a "literal deathtrap", it's because the Red Army was seriously scary. A lot of the first-line forces in a "Soviet invasion of Europe" situation were expendable in the sense that no one expected anything to be left of them after a few days.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah if a NATO v. Warsaw Pact fight had broken out that at the end of it almost no one would have an airforce left from AA and air cover and that was part of the urgency to make stealth aircraft?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
There's an old Cold War Era joke,

One Russian General in Paris asks another: "who won the air war?"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Armyman25 posted:

:eyepop:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

I always enjoyed Soviet humour.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
USAF says that the F35 is clear to go CAS and Wild Weaseling.
http://www.defensenews.com/story/breaking-news/2016/08/02/f35-ioc-air-force-operational-acc-combat/87948142/

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

YHGTBSM

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

quote:

The Air Force, together with the joint program office, hopes to fix that issue in 2017 with its 3F software, which will give the the aircraft its full war-fighting capability

Hmm yes it doesn't have its full war fighting capability but totes is ready to be operated in battlefields around the world! I guess hangers count.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LOL it does "Basic" CAS not "Full" CAS but CAS is CAS.

Wild Weaseling is one of the things it probably could do well, they didn't even need a plane for it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Trending on FB:

quote:

F-35A: US Air Force Says 1st Squadron of Fighter Jets Ready for Combat
"The F-35A brings an unprecedented combination of lethality, survivability and adaptability to joint and combined operations," Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein said in a statement Monday.

:laffo:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Raldikuk posted:

Hmm yes it doesn't have its full war fighting capability but totes is ready to be operated in battlefields around the world! I guess hangers count.

Look, a poster who doesn't know what IOC means!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

mlmp08 posted:

Listen, I know Rio is basically going to be a warzone throughout the Olympics, but are they really bad enough to tie the International Olympic Committee to the F-35? Surely they don't deserve that

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Trending on FB:

:laffo:

Such a low level of combined lethality, survivability and adaptability is indeed unprecedented, I don't understand why that statement is controversial.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

mlmp08 posted:

Or perhaps I have a more stringent vision of what I consider operating? Hint: It doesn't include shipping a plane without software to drop its ordinance.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They consider that initial operational capability is reached if the plane is capable of being deployed with moderate amount of special snowflake assistance and then fly around and maybe launch a missile or drop a bomb maybe.

But everyone knows that it won't be actually used in actual combat situations until long years after it officially reaches FOC. The F-22 only saw actual combat use for the first time in 2015 after all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raldikuk posted:

Or perhaps I have a more stringent vision of what I consider operating? Hint: It doesn't include shipping a plane without software to drop its ordinance.

Then it's a good thing that's not what happened.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Raldikuk posted:

It says it can't launch "small diameter bombs" which is a specific type of weapon system. It's not saying it can't drop bombs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

It says it can't launch "small diameter bombs" which is a specific type of weapon system. It's not saying it can't drop bombs.

It can't shoot its gun. It can drop bombs, apparently.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

It can't shoot its gun. It can drop bombs, apparently.

GBU-12, GBU-31, AMRAAMs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

GBU-12, GBU-31, AMRAAMs.

I look foreward to them adding an external gun mount a'la the F-4

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

A model doesn't need it unless you want maximum underwing dakka, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcln7StaEw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^ I like to think that a bullet hit a light switch at 19s :lol:

CommieGIR posted:

F-35B/C are way ahead of you.

Cat Mattress posted:

They consider that initial operational capability is reached if the plane is capable of being deployed with moderate amount of special snowflake assistance and then fly around and maybe launch a missile or drop a bomb maybe.

But everyone knows that it won't be actually used in actual combat situations until long years after it officially reaches FOC. The F-22 only saw actual combat use for the first time in 2015 after all.

The F-22's primary role is as and air superiority fighter or interceptor. Its been performing the interceptor role in Alaska for quite some time before it was used to drop bombs on ISIS.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mlmp08 posted:

A model doesn't need it unless you want maximum underwing dakka, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcln7StaEw

Say... what's that thumbnail in the bottom left after playing?

Enhance...

Enhance...

Russia already knows who the next President will be. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread