Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Makes the French look good for Visnu's sake.

The complete fuckery of the F35 again makes me wonder why the Russians could design and build the Flanker and Fulcrum for relative peanuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The A-10 is really cool as a death machine but is there any purpose for it anymore? It was designed to chew up waves of Soviet tanks and I don't see what it does nowadays that a drone or helicopter can't do.

It's like when Reagan pulled the Iowa out of mothballs. Why? It's a neato but antiquated weapons system.

The A-10 has been phenomenal in Afghanistan. Something that can cruise at low speeds, in tight terrain and drop all manner of death on command is highly valued. Like the Soviet Hinds and Frogfoots before them, the A-10 is a ground soldiers best friend in such terrain.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

AlexanderCA posted:

The Eurofighter is a hugely expensive Multinational clusterfuck without direction, completely fractured development and mediocre ground attack.

The rafale comes with proprietary lovely french support, and a tiny install base.

The Rafale and Eurofighter sound like the best of the worst at this point, non-western aside. If you were coming in to buy them now from the outside it sounds like most of the poo poo costs have been paid by someone else.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Warbadger posted:

It isn't fast, it isn't stealthy, and it isn't particularly durable (which isn't exactly unusual when it comes to aircraft).

True, true, weeeeeeeeeell...not exactly. All aircraft are squishy compared to say, a tank, but not all aircraft are equally squishy. Titanium cockpit aside, like all aircraft if shot by AA weapons or missiles the A-10 will take damage. The difference is the A-10 is designed to keep flying with half a wing, half a tail, one engine and no power. So, I think it's definitely 'more durable'.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you're really interested in pilot survival, staying out of shooting range, using a drone, or making the airspace safer are all far better options than using a plane which is marginally less likely to blow up when shot.

Hard to do 'close air support' if you stay out of shooting range, though you're right it would definitely be safer. It would be pointless, but way safer. Drones will replace the A-10 (or replace its replacement) one day, and they would be very safe for the pilot - buuuuuuuuut we're not there yet so that's not very helpful. And, as pointed out earlier, the skies are already completely dominated when the A-10's flying about, so that box is ticked too.

Guess the A-10 really does tick all the boxes at the moment for its job.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Not at all. Like I said earlier, 80% of all CAS missions in Iraq and Afghanistan were flown by planes other than the A-10 using precision munitions. This isn't the 1940's, you don't have to actually strafe whatever it is you're trying to destroy from the air. We've had smart bombs for decades now.

The A-10 excels in a specialized role that we don't really need that much and that other aircraft can handle adequately enough.

If the A-10 was an expensive plane I would agree with that idea, but it's not - it's dirt cheap. In a military that squanders billions (like on this thread!) scrapping something that cheap, that's that good at its job, seems foolish to me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Not to defend the F35 in particular, but aircraft aren't zerlings and throwing equipment and people at the enemy isn't such a good idea for many reasons. You can only fit so many aircraft on a carrier. More aircraft means higher supply chain requirements. More expensive pilots to train and keep, not to mention potentially get shot down and cause morale and PR issues. Etc.

Egad, zerglings! That's what we need!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if some F-35's get shitkicked by some 3rd generation Mirages or MiGs from some third-world shithole one day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Or survive getting shot.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I know we love trashing the F-35 shiftiest, but has there been any good reports on how it's in-service competitors [Rafale, Eurofighter, etc] have been doing (performance, issues, etc)?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Eurofighter has been plagued by technical issues (cost overruns, delays, lack of spare parts, design changes between tranches big enough to prevent retrofitting the older models, etc.). The RAF is planning on scrapping or mothballing its Tranche 1 aircraft when they get their replacement. The Typhoon is barely starting to get the upgrades needed to use it in air-to-ground; it's still just an air dominance fighter/interceptor as of now; when they've been used to bomb some stuff in Libya, they had to be accompanied by Tornado that did the laser designation for them.

Rafale's pretty good on that front. It has never been over budget, it was only delayed when the program was put on hold because of budget cuts, and the older airframe have been retrofitted to the latest standard without a hitch. It also has had its updates to make it fully multirole much sooner. On the stealth front, Rafale flew over Libyan air defense without being detected in Operation Harmattan, and was the only aircraft to successfully avoid detection by Slovakia's SA-10 in the MACE XIII exercises.

The Gripen is a smaller, lighter single-engine fighter. It doesn't offer the raw performances of its "cousins", but it's cost-effective and more affordable for a small country with a small defense budget. Even then, most of the export customers have them on a lease, instead of buying them.

The UK does, because they can afford to replace them. Germany is trying to sell them instead, like they already sold 15 of them to Austria (thanks to bribes).

:france:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

I'm kinda amaze at everyone in this thread having a hard-on for gripen when it's the subject of national scorn over here at least once every year. :sweden:

It's all relative. You may have some fuckups but they're farts I'm a tornado compared to the US's.

Are Russian and Chinese planes really significantly cheaper, or is it a bit of smoke and mirrors when it comes to accounting? If so, could their design/procurement system actually be less corrupt than in the US or are the planes just inferior design/build quality.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to accounting. The various design bureaus tend to be incredibly corrupt, protective and catty, relying on politicians to steer projects their way, so about par with the western defense sector.

In terms of performance, very few people are in a position to make even an informed guess about 1:1 comparisons between Western & Russian/Chinese systems, and they aren't talking. Comparing commercial jet engine products, Russian designs tend to be worse than western ones, but usually from a maintenance and MTBF perspective than raw performance. Chinese engines are not good, to the point that they're effectively dependent on imports, but their government has been spending billions on engine R&D recently.

Chinese R&D, aka stealing everything not nailed down.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Slightly less crazy because the plan was to nuke the sky over Canada (Sorry Canada!) instead of Washington DC.

But also more crazy because it was launched from an F-89 Scorpion. An interceptor designed to be armed with 104 70mm aerial rockets (or 2 nuclear rockets).

We need a :canadasmith: where he's wearing a red and white toque.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Any of you folks know an acceptably accurate source for the current "real" price for the F-35? Preferably the estimated price for a brand new variant of each model.

Sorry if this is vague, and it probably wont be 100% accurate given the program's status and development changes. Just have a friend who's curious, and it in turn got me curious.

I doubt the people selling the damned thing know what it actual costs. :eng99:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Time to see if Trudeau keeps his word and pulls out of the F35 debacle. :peanut:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Fulcrum and Flanker are pretty machines, Canada should buy those instead. :eng101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LeoMarr posted:

Except when they fall out of the sky randomly

Ok, so they might have occasional rough landings. Still, pretty aircraft.

Just replace the engines with US ones! It's like fusion cooking. :coolfish:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How can anyone hate 'voodoo' as a name.

Bears and B-52's, proving that when they peaked, they peaked hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

There's an old Cold War Era joke,

One Russian General in Paris asks another: "who won the air war?"

I always enjoyed Soviet humour.

• Locked thread