Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Siljmonster posted:

I want to be Ballmer's son instead of my dad, my dad would get mad at me for reading at night loving ballmer would go ballistic if I had a fuckin Mac in my room at night.
and then you get a pc but you install some linux distro nobody's ever heard of

I imagine everyone in ballmer's life hates his loving guts - he's got that combination where he's clearly competing to be the biggest rear end in a top hat who's ever lived, but he's also about as interesting as used wallpaper and roughly as intelligent

I'd rather spend a winter in a remote secluded cabin with Larry Ellison than spend one day at Disneyland with Steve Ballmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kilroy posted:

I'd rather spend a winter in a remote secluded cabin with Larry Ellison than spend one day at Disneyland with Steve Ballmer
I've met larry ellsion and you don't mean this

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Fabricated posted:

sneering at other peoples jobs when everyone here is a cj of some sort is a yospos tradition

sneering at CJs who think they're smarter than the people they work for is my own personal tradition

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Internaut! posted:

sneering at CJs who think they're smarter than the people they work for is my own personal tradition
I've worked for multiple companies that were driven into the ground by Stanford/Harvard MBAs with that "oh I know business so I can run anything" attitude which is patently false

it's also the easiest professional academic achievement, even at the "good" biz schools it's just 2 years of powerpoint, high-school level math and tons of drinking

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

you could at least count on larry to procure some decent-quality prostitutes during your winter cabin stay together

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lysidas posted:

most product placement doesn't bother me even though i have some friends who can't stand it

if i even notice the brand of something in a show or movie, it's like "oh, they're driving an audi" or "they're having a coke" or "they're using a mac", it doesn't register to me as advertising/etc. since real people use/do those things

that's why its so grating to see someone using a surface ipad-like device or leave their computer at the windows 8 metro start screen (parks and rec. does this) or use a laptop with a windows logo where the apple logo would be on a mac :lol:

no one has or uses those things damnit

yeah this one was particularly out of place because in one scene the surgeon is pawing at a surface tablet during surgery and the only thing on the screen is the giant surface email loading screen, not even a program open

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FCKGW posted:

yeah this one was particularly out of place because in one scene the surgeon is pawing at a surface tablet during surgery and the only thing on the screen is the giant surface email loading screen, not even a program open

wait wait wait, microsoft felt the best possible thing to show off about their os was a loading screen?

at least they're honest about what will usually be on screen :rimshot:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lysidas posted:

most product placement doesn't bother me even though i have some friends who can't stand it

if i even notice the brand of something in a show or movie, it's like "oh, they're driving an audi" or "they're having a coke" or "they're using a mac", it doesn't register to me as advertising/etc. since real people use/do those things

that's why its so grating to see someone using a surface ipad-like device or leave their computer at the windows 8 metro start screen (parks and rec. does this) or use a laptop with a windows logo where the apple logo would be on a mac :lol:

no one has or uses those things damnit

American TV has had no real brands on it for so many years that every time you see a real one you know it's a paid placement. but like you said, it's fine as long as the context makes sense. so a computer with an apple or dell logo showing doesn't bother me, but one where the logo is covered up does because no one does that. the windows logo is even worse. and situations where everyone uses the same brand or explicitly says the long brand name are really awkward.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

American TV has had no real brands on it for so many years that every time you see a real one you know it's a paid placement. but like you said, it's fine as long as the context makes sense. so a computer with an apple or dell logo showing doesn't bother me, but one where the logo is covered up does because no one does that. the windows logo is even worse. and situations where everyone uses the same brand or explicitly says the long brand name are really awkward.

somebody post that video clip where the actors actually say "bing it" when they want to search for something

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kilroy posted:

i wuold enjoy a day at disneyland with ballmer because even if he is insufferable you're still at disneyland

i actually think that his inappropriate commitment/excitement to everything would fit right in with the place

"hey everybody, let's go on mr. toad's wild ride and then get churros! YEAH!"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

prefect posted:

somebody post that video clip where the actors actually say "bing it" when they want to search for something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfHuZ5qrYX4

literally the first result from a yt search for "bing it" because it doesn't exist outside of tv

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

univbee posted:

literally the first result from a yt search for "bing it" because it doesn't exist outside of tv

lolololololololololololol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

30 rock was sponsored by Cisco for an episode and had to say their telepresence product name and features over a five minute scene

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

i wuold enjoy a day at disneyland with ballmer because even if he is insufferable you're still at disneyland

i actually think that his inappropriate commitment/excitement to everything would fit right in with the place

"hey everybody, let's go on mr. toad's wild ride and then get churros! YEAH!"

I agree, spending a day with Ballmer is a billion times different than being his subordinate or kid

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingexecutive posted:

30 rock was sponsored by Cisco for an episode and had to say their telepresence product name and features over a five minute scene

cisco had their phones show up in every tv show during the late '90s, it seemed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

theflyingexecutive posted:

i read crisco there

that episode was way funnier in my head

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

like shook his hand and some small talk or you've actually met him

what's he like? he does this sort of suppressed giggling in his presentations like that art-dude from the big lebowski and i'm wondering if thats just a thing he does or if he lets whatever the gently caress that is out when he's not on stage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Necc0 posted:

like shook his hand and some small talk or you've actually met him

what's he like? he does this sort of suppressed giggling in his presentations like that art-dude from the big lebowski and i'm wondering if thats just a thing he does or if he lets whatever the gently caress that is out when he's not on stage

shook his hand and small talk, it was at one of those 2000-era extravagant launch parties

he's an rear end in a top hat in the way that kind of owns but I still wouldn't want to spend a month locked in a room with him

ancient valley joke: "larry ellison is the only person steve jobs can call an rear end in a top hat"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

univbee posted:

It must be a miserable experience as an actor to be handed an utterly implausible script and be told by your director to sell the scene to the audience

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

It must be a miserable experience as an actor to be handed an utterly implausible script and be told by your director to sell the scene to the audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT1xpTDbR8o&t=112s

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

orson_welles_frozen_peas_ad.flv

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dont the nerd blackface people make a million per episode

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maurice lamarche is a funny man

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

graph posted:

dont the nerd blackface people make a million per episode

how

the show isn't even funny, and not even from a "it's popular so i don't like it" perspective.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

middle America

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's middle america as gently caress

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's middle america as gently caress

holy poo poo tv is bad

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flakeloaf posted:

holy poo poo tv is bad

tv is:

-cop worship
-bottom of the barrel targeted LCD poo poo

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

holy poo poo tv is bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol 2 and a half men is over 75% republican viewers

e: is chuck lorre like super republican or something? all his shows skew that way

e2: oh \/\/\/\/\/\/

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

carry on then posted:

lol 2 and a half men is over 75% republican viewers

it's actually ad buys, not viewers, but yeah.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
bbt doesn't strike me as a really republican show

or a very watchable show in general

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

graph posted:

tv is:

-cop worship

not just any cop worship, but corrupt-as-gently caress cops/legal system (i'm including law & order and csi and similar shows, and of course technically the shield + the wire but those were good by virtue of not pretending anyone on the show wasn't corrupt as gently caress)

still waiting for one of those shows to have the balls to end the show (the last episode) by just disbarring/arresting all of the "good guys"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

flakeloaf posted:

holy poo poo tv is bad

been trying to say this and then some mouthbreather jumps up and tells me how breaking bad is the best thing ever

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also lol take all the product placement talk to the ad thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653699

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

pagancow posted:

been trying to say this and then some mouthbreather jumps up and tells me how breaking bad is the best thing ever

have you ever seen George R. R. Martin's The Wire?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Kirk posted:

have you ever seen George R. R. Martin's The Wire?

a song of meth and wire

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I didn't watch the wire for like 10 years until people finally shut up about it and it's p good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pagancow posted:

i liked breaking bad until they made it clear that vince gilligan is also rooting for walter white instead of praying for him to finally lose like i was

similar feelings were experienced when i realized that, no, fight club was not straight up satire of modern reactionary hypermasculinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watched the first 2 episodes of breaking bad then went "welp, this is really good but it's not for me" then watched other things instead

see also: everything else on AMC

• Locked thread