Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

4th graders are dumb as gently caress apparently

so is microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

microsoft's copy editors all moonlight as writers for the simple english wikipedia pages

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Last Chance posted:

UGH I HATE THIS poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
windows 8/10 is full of that loving garbage everywhere

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

windows 8/10 is full of that loving garbage everywhere

:(

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

theres a 4th grade reading level and there's excessively mollycoddling the user beyond what is reasonable

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
aw snap!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

THC posted:

god i hate those "friendly" error messages

chome is full of them too
but if you click on the dinosaur you get to play a game

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Last Chance posted:

UGH I HATE THIS poo poo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wi-Fi Sense is a feature built into Windows 10. You may see a pop-up saying “Wi-Fi Sense needs permission to use your Facebook account.” It also works with Outlook.com and Skype contacts.

This feature allows you to share Wi-Fi login information — network names and passphrases — with your friends. It’s designed to automatically connect Windows 10 devices to shared networks.

hmmmmmm

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Last Chance posted:

microsoft's copy editors all moonlight as writers for the simple english wikipedia pages

when i wrote training stuff for best buy on behalf of microsoft, both told us to write to a third to fifth grade reading level.

duTrieux. fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 30, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So Windows 10 can share WiFi through Facebook but cannot detect if WiFi is switched off or in airplane mode?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

LastInLine posted:

to purposefully buy a windows phone youd have to be too incompetent to live on your own

like if it were still the 50s theres no doubt in my mind the state would just take you away and start electroshocking and lobotomizing until you were no longer able to move or speak

last weekend i met someone who not only loved their windows phone but wanted to go back to it after using an iphone. they still hadn't though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

MrMoo posted:

So Windows 10 can share WiFi through Facebook but cannot detect if WiFi is switched off or in airplane mode?

which one is monetizable ?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

last weekend i met someone who not only loved their windows phone but wanted to go back to it after using an iphone. they still hadn't though

I don't remember talking to anyone about phones last weekend.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I don't remember talking to anyone about phones last weekend.

poor bitch barista fag

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Sniep posted:

which one is monetizable ?

okay i really, really want to work out the reasoning behind this feature because even though im an idiot i still like to think people have comprehensible motivations even if it's just money + myopia

so wifi sense... squirts all your saved wifi passwords to your facebook friends, i guess. fine.

this means that if i'm facebook friends with bob and bob starts dating alice and alice shows up on my doorstep because she can't take it anymore & needs a real man in her life, then i don't have to tell her my wifi password, she already has it

oo...kay? if alice had a phone then she has a dataplan and a cellular connection so why does ms care if she's connected to wifi? if she brought a laptop to a private residence she was almost certainly going to get the wifi password from the owner anyway. if she brought a laptop to a public place the wifi is either free or intentionally off-limits to her. if she's at a place with institutional wifi she's supposed to get her own credentials and anyway it'll be a captive logon. if she's hiding in the bushes trying to steal wifi from a facebook friend's house or job then surely microsoft wouldnt want to facilitate that, the liability must outweigh whatever benefit ms gets (ads? inflated user numbers?)

central to this question is the assumption that ms places no less than zero value on the welfare of its users, if we assume ms is actively contemptuous of its users and wants to do them harm then no further explanation is needed

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
is it just some microsoft petty noble coming up with a self aggrandizing scheme to create a new product with a hundred million monthly "users"? (i guess every time someone connects to a wifi network which a facebook friend has connected to---meaning every wifi network ever---they "use" wifi sense)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Strangelet Wave posted:

is it just some microsoft petty noble coming up with a self aggrandizing scheme to create a new product with a hundred million monthly "users"? (i guess every time someone connects to a wifi network which a facebook friend has connected to---meaning every wifi network ever---they "use" wifi sense)

It was a Windows Phone feature that made it into windows 10. Btw you need a MSA to use it, not a local account like any sane person.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my wifi sense is tingling

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

theultimo posted:

It was a Windows Phone feature that made it into windows 10. Btw you need a MSA to use it, not a local account like any sane person.

the windows 10 preview wouldn't let me go forward without creating/using a microsoft account (outlook, xbox, whatever)

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

get your cock rings on, i mean you fast rings out, fbl_impressive 10158 is here which im guessing is just a half dozen regedit changes away from being the rtm

quote:

On the Taskbar, when an app needs your attention, it will now flash in orange. And when you download something or move files around in File Explorer, the progress animation in the Taskbar has been changed back to green and back to animating horizontally (instead of white and animating vertically seen in the previous build – thanks for the feedback!).

anyone running an orange taskbar theme is hosed

and the one feature i liked, the horizontal white download progress bar is dead because people are idiots

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Phoenixan posted:

my wifi sense is tingling

bubble's afoot

Triglav posted:

the windows 10 preview wouldn't let me go forward without creating/using a microsoft account (outlook, xbox, whatever)

i thought win 8 pushed this too with a local being more work or something

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
amazon is mega ownage

if i ordered something right now it would be here tomorrow with free-with-prime delivery

order something bigger than a book? it will likely be sent with DPD, the best delivery service around. you can track your driver in real time on google maps and it will show you which delivery he is on and which number you are. its always dave, and i always know hes coming. it freaks him out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
obviously i dont know the actual reasoning behind the wifi sense thing but i think its something like this: ms wants to know who is using their os (so they make you sign in with a ms account) and how and where.

that's not enough because people are probably going to say "gently caress that" to signing into a ms account they offer facebook integration because people are generally morons and will press that big blue "f" button to willfully give away all of that information anyway because they need to know what their friends are doing at all times and god loving forbid you miss a poke from alice.

so since your friends are also unlikely to want to sign in with a microsoft account this is a way for them to also find out who is with you and using windows, so ms can also serve up ads like "haven't seen alice in a while? heres a burger king near you so you can finger her butthole"

e: sorry echi i forgot it was bk not mcdonalds

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 30, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

shadow puppet of a posted:

and the one feature i liked, the horizontal white download progress bar is dead because people are idiots

it wasn't that great

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If that WiFi thing means visiting relatives don't need me to setup WiFi for them then epic WiFi sense ftw

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Then again, lol at adding your family on Facebook

Lol at Facebook

Just lol in general

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
wanna watch high def videos during lunch but the restaurant you go to don't have wifi? Just send facebook friend requests to every person associated with the hotel across the street.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Virion posted:

bubble's afoot

i thought win 8 pushed this too with a local being more work or something

you have to cancel the account creation process at some particular point or just set up windows without an internet connection in 8. they were going to make it completely mandatory in 10 but recently backed down from that too.

I'd almost do it but that requires using my microsoft account password as my login password which is completely ridiculous. or I could use a loving pin number. or I guess that biometric poo poo now.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Beeftweeter posted:

e: sorry echi i forgot it was bk not mcdonalds

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

only slightly classier

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Valeyard posted:

amazon is mega ownage

if i ordered something right now it would be here tomorrow with free-with-prime delivery

order something bigger than a book? it will likely be sent with DPD, the best delivery service around. you can track your driver in real time on google maps and it will show you which delivery he is on and which number you are. its always dave, and i always know hes coming. it freaks him out

owns

i can't wait for prime now in my city. i'll be just like subjunctive and never need to leave the house. they'll be able to deliver my xbox games faster than i could download them!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i debated making a post about amazone fresh but i think its prolly retarded unless ur old or a cripple or smth

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i prefer amazon in a can

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i just did a complete windows 8.1 reinstall on an internet-connected machine and part of the initial setup, before the desktop loads for the first time, was asking if i wanted to reserve windows 10 :negative:

so are microsoft partners and the like meant to get any sort of early access to windows 10? you know, since there's only 4 weeks left until final release?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

univbee posted:

i just did a complete windows 8.1 reinstall on an internet-connected machine and part of the initial setup, before the desktop loads for the first time, was asking if i wanted to reserve windows 10 :negative:

so are microsoft partners and the like meant to get any sort of early access to windows 10? you know, since there's only 4 weeks left until final release?
That's the insider preview, the Gold Master will never exist. Day one patches for Operating Systems yeah.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
we exchanged the idea of a gold master for a rolling release schedule

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

we exchanged the idea of a gold master for a rolling release schedule

windows 9.999...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

qirex posted:

windows 9.999...

can a windows on a rolling release treadmill ever take off?

• Locked thread