Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

P4's up through Northwood were fine and AMD's chipsets where a shitheap but if you didn't jump ship once Prescott took a big runny dump on the world you were a sucker

"fine" is the nicest thing anyone has ever said about williamette p4s

did you prefer the rdram version that was horrendously expensive and worse than a high end pentium 3 or the sdram version that was worse than a mid range pentium 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Laslow posted:

unironically used that on a windows embedded terminal that had the taskbar clock disabled back in college.

same but high school, that's how I know it exists

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

pram posted:

time to get a watch!!

:ohdear:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hobbesmaster posted:

did you prefer the rdram version that was horrendously expensive and worse than a high end pentium 3 or the sdram version that was worse than a mid range pentium 3?

I went P3 to Northwood to C2D I was pretty lucky for the generation jumps I was following when it was time to replace the motherboard

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

everything about rambus was hilarious

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
used amd before core 2 & it suited my needs at the time

(as a dumb kid who did nothing but played bideo games)

Tragic Fat Detective
Jul 12, 2002

soulja boy tell em

flakeloaf posted:

everything about rambus was hilarious

LOL! I'm laughing my rear end off just thinking about it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol so sarcastic and irreverent

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

whats the status of the lifeboats op

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

wait i got yelled at by IT and they swore the ejecting tray thing wasn't a drink holder, now i don't know what to believe!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Going from a Pentium 75 that I had to keep using until way past its prime to a 550MHz Athlon was a pretty experience

Then there was the time I built a PC with an SSD in it

but I mean my current :airquote: rig :airquote: is from 2011 and uh it still works just fine. I've never even had to reinstall Windows 7 ever. heh remember the days when you had to constantly reinstall windows? good times :xd:

poo poo my c2d thinkpad is from 2009 and the built-in mic and speakers are kinda starting to go but other than a battery replacement and some new ram it worksforme just fine. I wonder how long I can keep that thing before it falls apart.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

besides my blessed by steve rmbp, i still have a core 2 quad machine at home from 2008 with an ssd8 and 8gb of ram still chugging away just fine thank you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

heh remember the days when you had to constantly reinstall windows? good times :xd:

I'd forgotten about this til just now. it's been maybe 6, 7 years since I had to reinstall Windows. wtf was that bullshit, I feel like I had to do a fresh reinstall like every six weeks

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the os being a pos

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

i preferred the one with biggest GHz since i am a true professional w/real stuff to do (serious stuff)

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah pretty much. byod with phones is borderline acceptable...i'll always prefer a separate work phone (cuz i can turn it the gently caress off), but some people would rather just have one, and you can totally sandbox work related stuff

but byod for regular computers? pfffffft hahahahah eat poo poo

if this ever becomes a thing where i work i simply wont have a laptop, i dont have to work from home for oncall if they dont want to pay for it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

indigi posted:

I'd forgotten about this til just now. it's been maybe 6, 7 years since I had to reinstall Windows. wtf was that bullshit, I feel like I had to do a fresh reinstall like every six weeks
you may have forgotten but microsoft didnt as w8 has a feature to do just that

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

to upgrade windows 8.1 to windows 8.1.11u3.2044, you must first format your hard drive

click here to continue

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

LastInLine posted:

you may have forgotten but microsoft didnt as w8 has a feature to do just that

haha *Big Sean voice* oh god

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I still have a 2001 system I buildt from a bare bones deal on Ebay, A P4 1.9G with 512 RDram on an intel board, running XP. Still the most stable system I've ever had

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

512MB of rdram in 2001? did you mortgage your house?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

max4me posted:

I still have a 2001 system I buildt from a bare bones deal on Ebay, A P4 1.9G with 512 RDram on an intel board, running XP. Still the most stable system I've ever had

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

P4's up through Northwood were fine

isn't that back when you got reamed out the rear end for RDRAM though??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean yeah you could build a fast P4 back then but you paid out the loving nose for the chip and especially the stupid RIMMs

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

we had a 233Mhz computer and every week i'd read the radio shack fliers and watch the computers reach 733Mhz, whoa hyper-thraeding, then 900, then OMG "Ghz"??

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

amaxzing dayz

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i used to do my single mom's accounting to try save the family money for a computer LMFAOOOO

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

i used to do my single mom's accounting to try save the family money for a computer LMFAOOOO

I did this too, got a desktopp with a 500mhz p3 in it the week they came out, then the next month saw they released 550mhz processors and tried to talk my mom into buying one :xd:

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

hobbesmaster posted:

512MB of rdram in 2001? did you mortgage your house?

no it was 256 I later got another set 128 off of ebay when RD ram didnt make it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

max4me posted:

no it was 256 I later got another set 128 off of ebay when RD ram didnt make it.

Then that would be 384MB RAM, not 512

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

You Am I posted:

Then that would be 384MB RAM, not 512

HAHA No RDram had to be run in pairs hence the word SET of 128

128X2=256 basically it was 4 sticks of 128.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean yeah you could build a fast P4 back then but you paid out the loving nose for the chip and especially the stupid RIMMs

rd ram was stupid (mostly because of the licensing cost because the rambus consortium is dumb as heck) but if I remember right dual-channel sdram chipsets came out soon after and it made the memory bandwidth problems moot

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Bold Ambition & Our Core

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/ceo/index.html

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
so glad I'm at a point in my life where if I need a computer I just go get an iMac/mba/rmbp instead of wasting my time researching each component and putting that together myself.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

xbox not gonna get headshot yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's a lot of talk about mobile for the company that's celebrating its recent victory over blackberry

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

rd ram was stupid (mostly because of the licensing cost because the rambus consortium is dumb as heck) but if I remember right dual-channel sdram chipsets came out soon after and it made the memory bandwidth problems moot

not needing crimms was pretty awesome

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

indigi posted:

I did this too, got a desktopp with a 500mhz p3 in it the week they came out, then the next month saw they released 550mhz processors and tried to talk my mom into buying one :xd:

man im getting some crazy nostalgia here for the days when caring about clockspeed was a thing. whoa hey cool they got 'em up to 900 MHZ!!! 1GHz, here we come!

and then intel was all gung-ho about how in 10 years processors will be running at 10 billion gazillion ghz (lol netburst nice thermals you got there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
my first computer ran at 12mhz, cost $2000, and came with a virus accidentally preinstalled by the manufacturer (packard bell lol)

• Locked thread