Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cremnob posted:

forward thinking CJs gotta get on the mac train in the enterprise

just fyi this will never happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah BYOD isn't some sign of coming Mac dominance in enterprise. It's a lovely idea that will collide with reality as time goes on and IT infrastructures start realizing they're spending way too much time CJing everything and that VMs and Cloud poo poo don't solve it. Then it'll be back to standardizing on specific supported hardware again.

There's nothing I enjoy more at my job than telling people they can't have Macs, outside of people with their own discretionary funding that get so mad at us for refusing to support them that they go out and buy their own, then act surprised when they can't get their work done and ask us for support to which we say, "Sorry, your Mac isn't in our supported model. Could we recommend an HP or Dell workstation?"

edit: Actually BYOD for phones seems to be fine IMO if you think I'm being lovely about it. Not much difference really between any of the smartphones anymore as far as supporting the basics.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 5, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Generally with my users the people you see using Macs are usually really stupid, and don't do any real work. Or literally the only thing they do is read and send emails.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PleasureKevin posted:

you life sounds pitiful
It's pretty alright actually, everything runs pretty smoothly when the zone construction people aren't accidentally knocking the power out and digging up fiber trunks constantly like loving morons- which they do every summer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I've never seen an iPad used in enterprise for anything that justifies its purchase price and couldn't be done better/cheaper in some other way without it

it is a loving toy for users to con hundreds of dollars out of their business offices for so they can watch Netflix and browse the internet during meetings or throw at their kids on trips

The only credit I'll give our Mac users is that most of them are absolute pros at conning shitloads of money out of their superiors; we used to have a major Mac evangelist in our group who was a terrible CJ but really good at documentation. He got tired of being a CJ and snagged a communications job in a new department the university started and managed to convince them to spend $4000+ on a new iMac+Thunderbolt displays for him to...edit documents, send/receive emails, and do what amounted to blog updates on

Pro-loving job there and I applaud him

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted:

lmao a literal windows janitor
windows and linux

just not macs, because they're loving trash

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Windows 8 is bad

Win7 and RHEL work alright though

also:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

let me tell you about matlab

for all the bad things about it matlab is one of the only pieces of engineering software we support that gives us relatively no problems outside of it costing a shitload of money since we license every toolbox under the sun

It's also one of the only pieces of engineering software we support that has a mac version but huh, most of our Mac users that need it end up just bootcamping to windows and running it there go fig

or they just run it off a linux cluster, w/e

everything else is p much windows/linux only

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

homo punching bag posted:

lmao shcools are terrible with money. blow the budget getting macs for highschool kids then buy no software
yeah, you could just buy a pile of optiplexes or HPs for a fraction of the price that'll work just as well and run software that they might actually use in a real job

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted:

you are sadistic
They work and have proper enterprise support on the odd hardware failure, unlike Macs

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance posted:

holy poo poo lmao

are you for real
Yes, and I'm also right?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance posted:

if i squint my eyes hard enough i could see schools purchasing dells because they're dumb, but woe to the person who thinks buying anything hp is a good loving choice.
I don't really like EliteDesks but the dumb schools (I work in Academia and my group does everything from CJ poo poo up to supercomputers) that bought them before we picked up their support thankfully have not had too many problems

Optiplexes are perfectly fine past the god-loving-awful old clamshell ones which we have forcefully depreciated out of the schools that don't have/like spending money and foisted them on their poor grad students

The HP workstations seem to be fine; still prefer precisions though

Apple and HP to an extent really can't hold a candle to Dell support* though

turnaround is ridiculously quick and bullshit free

*if you're paying whatever ridiculous amount I can't recall for it like we are

Last Chance posted:

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005 for one lab and the new media senior blowoff class i took where we edited videos in imovie, learned chroma keying and made websites and things with them was the best fuckin class ever.
I had a similar class in 2001 and we played with premiere and lightwave and it was pretty fun

the teacher had replaced all of the puck mouses though thank god

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 6, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ocrassus posted:

Working in academic tech must be frustrating as all hell.

I've seen leaders-in-their-field lecturers fumble about with projectors and windows 7.

I can see the post grad students, all of whom seem to be using a surface tablet with a keyboard, rubbing their faces in mute frustration.

Not to mention our intranet has an incredibly poorly designed user interface. You can tell that half the things the designers put in there with thoughtful consideration are left simply unused.

Case in point, there is a tab that opens up our timetables, or is labelled as such, but all there is is a straight up hyperlink to a page where you have to log into the system again to get it.

Or the 'podcasts' tab which no lecturer appears to know how to use, and instead just copy pastes the iTunes link at the bottom of a great big walk of text in the module area.

I get the feel that you work in hardware, but still, working in academic tech departments must loving suck.
It's a living

and yeah I'm in the hardware and licensing end of things now but our group does p much everything so the 'lol ur a literal cj' thing is only partially right and we send our poor student workers to do like 90% of that poo poo

that's basically all correct except for the part with the surfaces- those actually seem to work pretty well for our users believe it or not. I have this feeling they'll turn into a debacle as they age but I'm resigned to it because we have a lot of people ordering them. I just had an order of 20 Surface Pros arrive last week. :shepface:

MBPs generally work okay for our users (this is a major STEM uni focused on engineering) but only for users who know how to bootcamp...which is a depressingly small amount of users

I was pretty indifferent to Mac poo poo really for a long time but of all our users the people who are really, really insistent on being Apple Ecosystem only are the most infuriatingly stupid and belligerent of our users who are normally otherwise p cool/interesting people so I have reflexively started to bristle when people try to insist on Apple products when they are way, way not suitable for the Engineering wing of Academia unless you seriously want to spend the money/time on stuff like xenapp

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

can someone, anyone, please loving tell me how to bind an MBP to an AD domain so the password will work for 30 days not connected to the hardwire network

please for the love of god
as far as domain macs go the only winning move is to not play

and i did not know about the usb fowarding thing in xenapp; that'd be a deal-breaker for like half the people I support

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance posted:

is surface 2 the one where the windows button accidentally gets mashed when ppl try to draw with it lol

That's the 3rd one where they had to have Gabe from Penny Arcade point it out of all things, then after scowling at the problem for a while they made a patch to turn the button off with the stylus in use

then said it'd "be hard to roll out" to general users

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

it's not about affording, it's about being told by CJs that you can only use what makes their job the easiest instead of what makes your job the easiest. first sign of a broken company.
loving lol

hobbesmaster posted:

all the academics are using linpack based software that hasn't changed significantly since the mid 80s so a unix system is perfect
on the stem side of things it's basically matlab (+comsol), ansys, autodesk, labview, creo, and solidworks

and the majority of that either doesn't exist or sucks natively on OSX

yeah it's the vendor's fault that their software sucks poo poo on any platform but windows but that's probably not going to change any time soon

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 7, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
bootcamp or parallels likely

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
dell really should just stop selling their consumer grade poo poo and just sell latitudes as their base model since they work

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or you could just use windows

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Usually every major OSX update breaks domain macs somehow, or somehow renders some random piece of engineering software unusable

The latter I am perfectly happy to lay at the feet of the software vendors though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

univbee posted:

-releases service pack 3 for xp-

-turns out it actually bluescreens many amd-based pc's-

-xp sp2 forever-
To be fair punishing users for using AMD based PCs is just and right

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

computer parts posted:

so does it just not do anything in windows 8
lol

actually; wasn't that mouse actually specifically designed for Win8 and the surface or something?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

I'm the big space wasting tiles put in the start menu as a gently caress you to consumers for not liking the start screen

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
For some reason Microsoft just never sees fit to update all of the icons used by the base OS. Windows 9 will probably have some slightly new visual style to it by the time it comes out so it'll be even more of a mess visually

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
it's kinda weird how hard "refocus on software and the stuff that actually makes money" seems to be for microsoft to grasp

but nah let's just do a really bad job spending zillions of dollars trying to force our way into hardware markets

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

synchronized dub step dancing really makes me want a surface. click in. do more

oh yeah let's also piss off every hardware vendor who subsidizes our existence by making our own hardware too

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im still utterly baffled that they decided to ignore the beta outcry and shove the start screen down desktop users' throats, only to turn around and backtrack after the damage was already done
I think regardless of user feedback they felt pot committed to the Start Screen/Metro look and any negative feedback would only be used to "adjust" it; no amount of criticism from beta users was going to get them to scrap it because it was the only major "vision" they seemed to have for win8.

I mean, if you remove it you have uh...Win7 with some minor ui tweaks/bug fixes

which is literally all anyone really wanted but how do you market THAT with half a billion dollars?

Win8: Slightly better!

Win8: Not changed enough to scare you!

Win8: Still runs office! :ins:

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 15, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Luigi Thirty posted:

So in 25 years user interfaces have progressed from flat, rounded, pseudo-3d, and back to flat again. can't wait for rounded again
Drop shadows will triumphantly return some day

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Mr Dog posted:

the pathetic thing about MS is that they continue to act like they can poo poo down peoples' throat because lmao what teh gently caress are u going to do about it, even in market areas where they're having less than no success breaking in.

like they don't even pretend to provide something with better features and performance than the competition before they start making GBS threads down their throat, it's "right, ads in the core OS, day one" even though windows 7 still exists and can be obtained and there is absolutely nothing compelling about windows 8. processor cores designed exclusively for ads and xbox live gold subscription requirements for netflix "because gently caress you, that's why" despite the fact that xbox one is garbage for playing games as opposed to shoving loving ads down your throat and the console is a complete and utter flop because of it.

watching apple and google absolutely wreck their poo poo is delicious. at least a google monopoly would be easier to get rid of further down the road than a microsoft one.
Agreed

I mean they'll likely control enterprise still for the long foreseeable future but even there they can't really dictate their will; see the XP->anything transitions and just about all businesses deciding to skip Win8.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

quantum break is the new remedy game and it depended on a big FMV production

lmao

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All my friends on the east coast live in/around the DC area and are ridiculous job hoppers

having a new job every 8 months to a year or two would drive me insane; nevermind you'll either end up unemployed and unable to get a job when the next downturn comes or you'll end up stuck somewhere you despise for X amount of years unless you want to pack up and move long distance

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

rename this thread to Microsoft is Bad Enterprise Edition and the other one to Microsoft is Bad Home Premium
can you use the trademark and copyright symbols in thread titles because there is not nearly enough of those

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

graph posted:

got to gently caress around with a surface pro 3 today

its light as heck. like really light

the hinge doesnt suck dogballs

lol @ windows 8 being a fuckin touch OS, because it isnt. its bad. real bad

and it was two thousand two hundred dollars, lmao
how was it $2000 wtf

I haven't seen a 3 yet but I heard they suck

the 20 surface pros some professor ordered for a class are being handled by someone else and people here keep buying them and liking them :shrug:

man I dunno

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:psyduck:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
proest way to ensure no one ever uses your computer

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

univbee posted:

but wait, if you're a charity/non-profit you can "upgrade" from a home version of windows. but you still need a base version of windows because lol we're not that generous

i also wish i had a pic of it now but one of our super-cheap clients bought some refurbished lenovo pc's, which had their motherboards replaced.

they actually had to get a special 2nd batch of oem license keys because the original was "tied" to the dead mobo, they were brown stickers and the original blue sticker had i think X's all across it to indicate it was no longer valid

i swear we'd have to do half as much work if companies were less stupid about their licensing. gently caress you microsoft, adobe and autodesk, respectively
Licensing in general loving sucks and is bad. Microsoft is really bad but all engineering software is about as bad if not worse.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

infernal machines posted:

what, you don't like hardware dongles with drivers so lovely they randomly bluescreen the machine and/or corrupt the stored license info?

or my favourite, the hosed up WIBU-Key release that prevented the system from completing POST if it was plugged in at boot.
I like our CAM labs which run software that is actually up to date but still requires serial port hasps. Since this is academia we run a lot of software so there's machines that have a tail of 3-4 serial hasps hanging off the back.

Best licensing is stuff where when it breaks or when you renew your licensing, you can't even do the update or fix yourself. You have to pay the company to send someone out to inspect the setup to make sure you're somehow not stealing their bits and do it for you to the tune of thousands of dollars per visit.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, "some" machines

like try 200+ machines in the building my office is in. Thankfully for some reason the majority did it last friday. We just had our student workers go and redeploy them since we were going to do that anyway, and it takes all of 10 seconds to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Pinterest Mom posted:

for example, this entire reddit post history, from an account created one day after the xbone was announced: http://www.reddit.com/user/TempleOfTime?count=250&after=t1_ca4636b
I like how he disappears shortly after a whole thread dedicated to pointing out he's an astroturfer occurred.

• Locked thread