Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

homo punching bag posted:

I have to use OSX every day and it is super clunky to have to navigate or copy things from folder to folder with it. idk why aple cant make a interface button that goes UP one in the folder hierarchy.

command-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i got zero sleep last night and am giving highway signage the thousand-yard stare on the bus home to collapse. why are we quoting me and posting option-up? i want to join in

it's listed in the Go menu in Finder, btw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Blackula69 posted:

does paul not understand that a financial website would be interested in profits and revenues rather than market share

he also seems to think that that chart is evidence that windows phone is not dead in the water

at best, you could make an argument that nobody talks about the iphone as being dead in the water, so they shouldn't do the same to windows phone. except of course people do write tons of clickbait stories about the iphone being "in trouble", and if the huge proportional gap between android and iphone means the iphone is in trouble then what exactly is the equally huge proportional gap between iphone and win phone supposed to mean?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a touchscreen whiteboard would be pretty cool; i have a lot of whiteboard conversations where it would be nice to push things aside for a second, focus on one thing, and then move what we had before back into place, and especially to have the whole thing recorded

i'm having a hard time imagining a plausible price point for this that a company might actually spring for, though. like, it doesn't have to have anywhere near the same pixel density as an ipad, and the touch sensor doesn't need to be quite as good, but you have to scale it up to cover like 12 square feet. "oh, once a week or so, this $2000 device would come in really, really handy"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

that's why such things go in a conference room as a departmental resource, if each of a few dozen people find it useful every week or so

sure, but then it needs to be more like thirty square feet because people will want to use it for ten-person meetings. also it's probably useless to me because the conference rooms are permanently booked regardless of whether anybody is using the magic whiteboards in them. our current space is the only place i've ever worked where conference rooms regularly sit empty, and that's because it's literally a conference center

but yes, if you're not putting one in every office, it's a negligible expense compared to e.g. the voice/video conferencing solution

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

oh my god this 24 byte file is being reported as an entire kilobyte!!!?!?!

it should be reported as 4k :science:

unless you're using murderFS

or you've janitored your system in very minor ways

or are using a really ancient file format

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
we're all born exposed and foolish

not all of us make it to be the ceo of microsoft before we have another chance

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

eric posted:

Apple's success broke their brain. If they can make tons of money on hardware why not us?

most big companies build up an internal institutional attitude towards each of their competitors, especially longstanding ones

i have a number of friends who used to work for microsoft, and i learned (a bit later than i should have) to just avoid talking technology with them, because their institutional attitude towards apple was always deeply condescending, bordering on contemptuous, even well into this decade. apple was never anything more than clever marketing to them. i do not think we are the only company they had that attitude towards

i am not going to claim that apple is immune from this, far from it, but i think our executives are still pretty clear-eyed about our competition, whereas it always felt like success within microsoft was contingent on being a true believer in that sort of institutional cheerleading bullshit

a lot of their failures really do seem to come from this basic pillar of arrogance, that if anybody else has done it and had success it must be easy

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah. like i said, i think the big difference is whether it's accepted by management. it doesn't really matter what some rando engineer thinks, at worst they get a little behind on technical trends or end up replicating some mistake that the competitors already learned their lesson about. it's product managers and executives that do a ton of damage

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

but that's not what a button is supposed to do, though

also the only ui in windows that can be accurately described as a single button is the start button, and i'm pretty sure it still only says start unless you click on it

every screenshot of live tiles that i've ever seen, phone or desktop, has like thirty tiles active at once, presumably all constantly flickering and updating

and on the desktop they're only visible if you push a button first, so

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

and the opposite of the grave is the aigu (at least, that's what my french teacher called it)

the english translation is acute, for accents, math, and pain

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

PowerPC has always been complete garbage and the only people who ever though otherwise were stupid fuckers who owned macs or other bad computers.

altivec was a really nice simd extension, it took intel a few iterations of sse to catch up

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

theultimo posted:

Yeah altivec was in response to sse, but sse2 blew it out of the water. G3 procs were fast, but their fpu perf was worse than K6 at the time. G4 was much better in that respect.

all i give a poo poo about is instruction set design :shrug:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

what do you think about risc-v

i keep hearing about this, but it's not something i've needed to know about, so i went and looked it up just so i could properly effortpost

okay. this architecture has a hoarding problem. it hoards encoding space. it's a 32-bit fixed-width encoding using three operands and 32 registers; it burns another two bits of that to support an optional 16-bit compressed encoding, but it doesn't predicate arbitrary instructions, so there's a full 15 bits left for the opcode. the core isa has, like, 40 instructions, treating immediate variants separately and including system instructions. even with some loss from the immediate forms (mostly 12+5+5, a few 20+5) and the future-proofing variable-length encodings, and throwing in the fp instructions, there is a ridiculous amount of unused opcode space

meanwhile it has no support for scaled indexing or any bit manipulations that don't correspond exactly to a binary operator in C (not even rotate). it doesn't even have compact instructions for saving and restoring registers on function entry/exit. so in typical risc fashion, it is a perfect set up for writing papers about the importance of optimizing the i-cache, because any non-trivial function will completely murder the chip with code size

also it has zero support for overflow detection, which is admittedly niche but really, really important within that niche

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
they're pretty peripheral to the game even when they work. iirc the league actually wants them to be standardized because it's easier to check that they don't have illegal capabilities (the league doesn't want players/coaches to be able to review video during the game)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
huh, i thought there was something they couldn't do

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

i hear after three or so its difficult to bring a good idea to production

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a calendar / directory app integrated with linked in so you can get cv info for an arbitrary person in a meeting would be a kindof neat feature

companies can typically manage this kind of partnership without paying twenty-six billion dollars for the privilege

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you could play massively multiplayer minesweeper instead

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

error1 posted:

According to this http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/employee-loyalty/full-list

It actually takes Microsoft a full 4 years to drain programmers of their will to live, while Apple does it in 2 years and Google does it in an impressively short single year!

they live in seattle, their alternative is working for amazon

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

it was actually the font ("Raster Fonts") that doesn't support utf-8

are you claiming that when the windows terminal sees a unicode character that isn't in the active font, its response is to say gently caress it we'll just reinterpret the encoding using the active code page and render that

because that would be hilarious

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

when it happens to someone here on comedy forums "something awful dot com" we have a saying for this course of action it is called the "goon-in-a-well" scenario. please check out the following saclopedia entry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2189

i'd never actually read this thread before

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1889325&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post310065307 posted:

Bandito's Guide to Divorce (for dummies!)

2. Get mad and stay mad. This person hosed you over hard. Be cordial but don't be nice. Determine what you want to take with you from the marriage and tell your lawyer and nobody else. Don't talk about custody, child support, money, pets, pictures or anything other than what you and the kids did today and maybe the weather. It IS okay to be a bitch/rear end in a top hat. For example - this morning the wonderful person I'm divorcing woke up early to beat me to the shower in hopes of making me late for work - I went to the other bathroom and flushed the toilet while she was showering - raining a few gallons of pure liquid heat down on the bitch followed by a shot of liquid ice. That's how you start your day off right.

9. Weather the storm with class. Don't resort to name calling and don't get petty.

so shocked this guy's marriage failed

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
also jfc is e/n entirely full of bitter misogynistic assholes, stay in the pos kids

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so office plug-ins literally have to run in-process and probably directly gently caress with excel's internal data structures

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
itt we make very serious posts while misusing the term "sequentially consistent"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i never used windows phone but i had a friend who really swore by it, loved the ui, really hated iOS despite afaik never using it. eventually even she got fed up, apparently not because there were no apps but because the whole experience was just buggy as poo poo, like every release would break the phone for days. got an iphone, still grumbles about the ui all the time but it works

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i realize updates is a broad term and you're all pedantic as gently caress

they didn't release major version updates e.g. wp8, wp10 for the previous phone platform. this was bad and dumb.

they did do continual feature and security updates for the earlier platforms even after the new ones came out.

wp7 received three years of point release updates. so did wp 8.1.

and those point release updates were consistently buggy as poo poo and broke major functionality all the time

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

so roughly on par with ios

your phone os was a piece of poo poo, friend

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
opengl is a portable graphics library in kind of the same way that html+javascript is a portable way of writing a website

there is definitely a broad core of functionality that works the same everywhere but there are also weird differences that probably shouldn't exist and also the exact set of extensions supported by any particular implementation is really really important

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
he could literally give fifty people enough money to lead an upper middle class lifestyle indefinitely while doing nothing all day but hang out with him if that's the kind of friend he wants, without even touching half his fortune. or he could treat them like real people and enable them to dedicate themselves to their interests or whatever, i dunno. the point is that the fact that he is instead a miserable lonely man shut up in his toy castle is pretty clearly because he's actually a huge self-obsessed rear end in a top hat who nobody really likes

signed,

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

if you are partially wrong you are still wrong please stop fishmeching me

in fact it is you are wrong, though

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quote:

In EXO-D, no one seemed to know what my new “Manager”, Cole, did besides make illegible graphs in Tableau and follow his manager, Daniel, around as if he shat Amazon stock. I’m not exaggerating at all when I say that uselessness was an ongoing joke throughout the org and for good reason. Cole had to hold his breath while he spoke for some reason and would start speaking like Twista when he was running low on air, which I hear can be a common theme among mouth breathers. He also had to close his eyes while he thought, and displayed his OOF messages on his door instead of Outlook. I could not believe that this person even worked for Microsoft, let alone that I had to report to him.

oh-okay, so this is a professional suicide note

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

can't we just laugh at the fact that microsoft spent like 5 billion dollars on marketing alone and ended up with 0% market share

I think the dumb neckbeard "apple stuff is only popular because of marketing" meme really caught on in redmond

i regularly go to visit friends in seattle, and many of them work for microsoft. i used to carefully avoid any random convos about tech because even my friends would just blurt out poo poo about apple that was incredibly condescending and insulting. and this was like well into the 2010s

i still carefully avoid any random convos about tech, but now it's because they've almost all quit or been laid off and even the ones who've stuck it out hate the company and are gloomy as gently caress about it

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol, bille gates after forty years still cannot bear to admit that apple might have done something better than he did

just imagine being one of the richest bastards on the planet and being stuck constantly upgrading to the latest lovely windows phone because you are just so personally invested in your company's sales pitch

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
ibm designs a pc that can be cheaply made out of commodity parts
microsoft is contracted to make a lovely os for that pc because ibm can't be bothered
microsoft negotiates the right to sell their lovely os to pc cloners because ibm completely misjudges potential for clone market
clone market takes off, microsoft rides wave, releases more versions of lovely os
microsoft starts developing windows nt, which at least is not total poo poo at the very core, but takes fifteen years to realize that maybe they should just use it instead of continuing to hack more things on top of their lovely os
microsoft continues to ride wave of happening to get in on ground floor of a slightly cheaper platform built with another company's market power
microsoft releases successive graphical versions of its lovely os, but they're still super lovely. in some ways they're shittier than ever
apple still exists and, despite a lot of bad decisions and market disadvantages, still manages to make an os that is somewhat less lovely than microsoft's
microsoft is soooo mad that apple still exists, deeply internalizes their sales pitch that apple customers are completely duped by marketing
steve returns, apple products start massively improving
microsoft spends fifteen years making lovely clones of everything apple does because microsoft is obviously just the best at everything

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

ok, our target market in 1995 is PCs with 8MB of RAM and a 486 processor, and we have a strongly established ecosystem of third party DOS and Win16 applications. Let's make an OS to bridge us to the Win32 future that still works with every insane hack that people did with DOS-based systems and fits into a thimbleful of RAM. It'll be a really difficult engineering challenge but it has to be done, then when the time is right and computer systems are more powerful we can move everybody onto our more powerful NT platform that was designed and built by the best minds in the field.

lol, which part of the brilliant microsoft puppetmaster plan was it to have win95/98/me spontaneously crash multiple times a day, completely tank the brand, and turn microsoft into a laughingstock

the legacy-crap argument makes sense until you remember that, no, gently caress that bullshit, they were actually piling up new legacy crap constantly for the entire loving decade. the terrible driver model, activex, ms java, every single lovely version of ie, the registry, terrible new ui toolkits every few years, dll hell, however many different programming environments and runtimes, stupid amounts of stuff shoved into the kernel for no good reason. hmm, i wonder why they've repeatedly tried (and failed) to rewrite the whole thing from scratch

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
lol you completely missed my point in your race to brag about reading raymond chen's blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i get why you find compatibility hacks cool and interesting, but every os vendor in that era did compatiblity hacks, and the idea that microsoft's diligence with them is, like, principally responsible for their market dominance in the 90s is really weird when there are a lot of other obvious factors, like the fact that pcs were substantially cheaper

anyway it's irrelevant to my point, which is that microsoft convinced themselves in the 90s of exactly the thing you're saying — that they were all super brilliant and everyone else were buffoons propped up by deceptive marketing — and it led directly to their stagnation, because they had no product or technical direction (who can say no to such brilliant people), a tendency to believe that if any other company had had any success with a product line then microsoft could do it better in half the time, and basically zero patience

also win95 was also total poo poo, so lovely that win98's shittiness seemed almost tolerable in comparison. macos was bad in those years, too, it was just a dark time for computers in general

• Locked thread