Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

was the company still in that business by the time you got your machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait, wasn't the 360 notoriously cheap as well? I mean they cut out the mandatory hard drive, no pads on the disc drive, and that entire bloody xclamp design...?

also that entire paying for everyone that bought one in the first couple years to get a new one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

univbee posted:

Sony and Microsoft used to do this (both the PS3 and 360 had manufacturing costs north of $800USD at first and they were proper-losing a few hundred for every console sold), but pretty much vowed not to anymore because it cost both of them astronomically last time. Sony especially seems to have hit the sweet spot of system build/price, although it's selling gently caress-all in Japan (it's been 6 months and I think they still haven't sold the same number of PS4's as Sony did on the first day PS2's were available there)

console gaming is dead in japan, its all portables

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

homo punching bag posted:

too bad sony doesnt have a portable lmao

this is why they're coming out with that wacky tv thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fabricated posted:

i wonder how long Microsoft can keep up their strategy of "literally do the exact opposite thing of what would fix <whatever> problem" and still remain solvent

hp is closing in on 2 decades of this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Metrication posted:

if cats had acquired the ability to express themselves in words you would have thought they could do it with decent grammar and spelling it really isn't that much of a leap

just saying "tuna" over and over doesn't require grammar

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sniep posted:

wait

they are looking at playbooks and drawing on top of them. that's it. it's a sketch pad and reference to playbooks. that's media loving consumption. consuming the media in the books, drawing red lines on it.

an ipad is ideal and a surface is forced and unnecessary and overcomplicated for the task

they are calling it an "ipad-like device" because it's "kinda like an ipad but not as good"

whats really stupid is that they're surface 2 pros. like this is one thing that a windows rt tablet would work for and apparently MS didn't trust it enough

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh wait windows rt doesn't support imaging or active directory!

sorry, they had to use surface pros

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iPads are taking over in enterprise because Microsoft's offering has less AD integration

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

then why did they give away surface 2s after the surface 3 is out?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raruler posted:

are those tiny american flag lapel pins?

pretty sure they actually say the name of the show (nfl on fox)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

your worst nightmare in the courtroom is lawyers on both sides who are buddies

imagine being the judge that drew the short straw on that one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

look at this scrub without a flat trinitron

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a literal microsoft ad

i hate it when i can zoom in without moving my hand off the touchpad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LastInLine posted:

throw this loving thing in the goddamn trash and buy a macbook

all he should have to do there is hit cmd-q

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

come to think of it a chemistry "sandbox" "game" would be pretty cool and could be a useful educational tool if done right

good luck getting the right people together and funding to develop something like that though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

(the 101 class was a bioware game)

on your way to save the world there are some kittens on the side of the road! do you either:
1. kill the kittens
2. take a week off from saving the world to try and find homes for the kittens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poty posted:

ok guys im gonna cancel you win

what about a wii u

wii u only has nintendo games on it. so if you want to play mario and mario kart then do it.

otherwise ps4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Leck posted:

look, SOMEONE's dad had to take it from work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fabricated posted:

People doing CAD/CAM/etc work here buy Precision Laptops. They're pretty nice outside of being gently caress-off huge.

these things own for opengl stuff. they even seem to be fairly decently put together

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

why? just the gpu they use or something else?

they have quadros and are giant bricks so are free to use higher tdp stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

precision laptops are hilariously heavy, overpowered poo poo purchased by engineers displaying a cad model with as many polygons as an average game from 1997 and almost none of the people who purchase them actually need them

and yet, those applications showing a 1997 game's worth of polygons will run at 5 fps unless its a "pro" card

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raruler posted:

do people still reflash their video cards with workstation card firmware?

i wish there was a solution because consumer graphics cards make it look like rendering a million poly mesh in opengl is the hardest thing in the world

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

or people working in visual studio

i run it in a vm, works4me

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thankfully the low-end firepro and quadro cards cost next to nothing these days

unfortunate if you want to run something on a laptop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internaut! posted:

this sounds amazing and why doesn't solidworks/autodesk/et al offer that kind of service today, either their own cloud or DIY cloud servers

a ton of bandwidth would be required for that and engineers like their fancy workstations

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if solidworks/autodesk is going to be doing it then you'll have distributed datacenters and would connect to the closest one. pull your content from a Clod Save and work away. It doesn't exist yet and you can't really roll your own for what you're describing but it could be possible in a year or two.

the one option is to have people connect to your VDI infrastructure through thin-client type laptops when they are within the continental US or whatever but if they're going overseas then they get a loaner beefy laptop that you load the VM files on locally to work with so they can transition seamlessly

i don't think relying on the wifi for some random hotel in bumfuck north dakota is going to be a good business proposition

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raruler posted:

wait why is this a feature

"With an unpublished API and encoded with AES disk encryption"

if you have to pay dell approved consultants $texas/hr then it has to be better than some crap open source thing!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not going to North Dakota is a good business proposition

:gas:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Miley Virus posted:

cause you know ballmer would co-opt other wrestlers' catchphrases

yeah

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internaut! posted:

always entertaining to hear goons disparage masters business programs

given the average goon can't budget past what toy he's going to spend his next pay/disability check on, you guys would have as much chance at understanding grad level financial accounting as ancient Sanskrit

we're talking about MBA's not an MAcc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

lol wrong thread

oh i thought ballmer had bought a mls team

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

not diy linux but yes this is the way to go. not dirt cheap either

just don't do anything retarded and expose it directly to the internet

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

*~*scalability~*~

me too!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah having a baby every year to avoid work sounds catholic

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you can divorce Jesus?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its microsoft, i'm sure asking for a raise is an automatic 4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

lol people lined up outside stores to buy windows 95

well they only had windows 3.1 before then and you couldn't really download stuff that size at the time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

speaking of not being able to download things in the 90s, who else made little forts out of msdn binders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theadder posted:

Ballmer and Bill Gates are apparently on the outs, and are no longer on speaking terms with one another.

maybe gates will buy a good basketball team

• Locked thread