Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Socracheese posted:

lmao if ur office isnt all macs and linus on ur servers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

lmao a literal windows janitor

it's so sad when they can't move on. sometimes the best answer is just to put them down

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
i can't even imagine working at a place that doesn't provide me with a Mac. like how would that even work? you'd show up on the first day and they take you to your office and you'd say "looks like the previous tenant forgot to take his piece of poo poo dell with him" and your new boss would smile nervously and say "we asked our computer janitors for the Mac we promised you and they said no". so now what? do you stick around for lunch or just quit right there?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's not about affording, it's about being told by CJs that you can only use what makes their job the easiest instead of what makes your job the easiest. first sign of a broken company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why can't you sign things yourself in the image?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

strangely the 20 levels of managers including ballmer who pinned their whole company's future on it seem to still be around

Ballmer was fired and the new guy is cleaning house

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mod sassinator posted:

i wonder what the bars around redmond are going to be like tomorrow night, this article says layoffs are tomorrow: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/microsoft-layoffs-expected-thursday/

they're going to gut Nokia so the tears will be mostly in Finland. they will reorg the North America operations but I don't see a bloodbath except in some obscure divisions.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there is a non-management career path for engineers, and while it's "doing the same job" you become an expert and spend time making smart, precise improvements and leading the direction of software evolution as your understanding of the problem space evolves. meanwhile the grunt work gets handed to junior developers.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

and then you become... management

way ahead of you

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
feels like I'm going to lose my mind

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Metrication posted:

don't forget the kin, 2 years, 1 billion usd and it was pulled from the market after being on sale for 2 months

that's just the surface.
remember they bought Danger, producers of the very successful SideKick mobile device, and had them work on the kin. however they killed the sidekick and the danger OS and forced them to use windows CE. this led to most of the danger people leaving microsoft and forming a mobile OS company called Android, which was subsequently purchased by google.

also they lost a bunch of sidekick user data in a botched database update because they didn't have anyone that knew how those systems worked anymore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Berkshire Hunts posted:

no more racist than lizardlips & sillyballs imo

I concur with this analysis. there is no racial component to Nutella, it is simply making fun of the guy's name.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it sounds to me like nadella is going to let xbone play out in the market because they basically already spent most of the money developing it. however, unless it miraculously becomes a great success don't expect to see any more money being thrown at Xbox R&D. also elop is being set up as the fall guy to take the blame when it is declared a failure.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

your vote has been added to our database. thank you for participating in this survey.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
nah, elop was rewarded for his Trojan horse services inside Nokia as part of the purchase agreement. but now his patron, Ballmer, is gone and nobody else wants him there. he was given a leadership position as part of the Nokia deal, so they can't just fire him outright, so instead they're setting him up for failure.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

duTrieux. posted:

Windows Phone 8.1 with Update 1.

quoting this because a 355 billion dollar company with a marketing budget larger than the GDP of several nations thought this was acceptable for one of their core products

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

there's no way they won't use them to get high quality images from upstairs

the coach will have some intern show him the pictures and he'll then go back to his paper, but they'll be used!

they will just hook up the surface to a printer, problem solved

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
every Microsoft store I've seen was directly adjacent to an apple store , larger, and far emptier of people. they cannot be making any money from these. I'm sure someone in the management keeps repeating "apple stores weren't immediately profitable", but how long can they keep this up?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've always bought microsoft mice, ever since the days of the curved two button mouse before we had scroll wheels. they've been slowly declining in quality in the last decade

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Origin posted:

pffff, enter the pro zone!

my thumb hurts from just looking at that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
looks like Nokia reverse-Trojan-horsed Microsoft.

also lol at carriers hating Microsoft and intentionally screwing them

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Surface IntelliKin XBrowse One 8.1 update 1 with Active Bing.net

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

AtomD posted:

hello im microsoft middle manager trying to justify my existence here are my suggestions for internet explorer's new name:

1) Coupe
want to cruise the information superhighway? coupe's got you covered

2) Flow
it's so fast and fluid. market it with rap music to appeal to the kids

3) Moses
it talked you on a journey i suppose

so we just need to pick the one of these three we like the most!!

hi bob,

we just ran these past marketing and they had some notes. First, you need to prepend all software product names with Microsoft so that consumers get the trusted brand recognition.

1) Microsoft Coupe - we had some objections from our automotive partners. it also turns out that in Europe they spell it with an accent. this would be a branding nightmare as we would have to regionalize the brand name, which is something we want to avoid.

2) Microsoft Flow - we were pretty sure we used this one already but a Google search revealed nothing. anyway, we don't think the urban feel works in a business environment. we mocked up a cover of CTO magazine with it and we just can't make it work with a white guy in a suit.

3) Microsoft Moses - the last time we did a survey of system administrators, we found the top three religious leanings to be atheist, brony, and Jedi. frankly we're not sure that they will make the connection.

we don't see these getting past the review board, but thanks for the suggestions and keep coming up with great ideas.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cold on a Cob posted:

mods rename thread to "Microsoft Titanic Status: Rebranding the Deck Chairs" tia

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
what's this black screen nonsense? I done care if they changed the color, it will always be a blue screen.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the ballmer is the best wwf wrestler that never was

sorry, he's Steve The Embalmer Ballmer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Microsoft exec: "Heavy = quality! Just look at my Escalade! Put some lead shot in there Jenkins and ship, ship, ship!"

this is actually a thing in consumer electronics. people associate some heft with a sense of quality. this really hit standalone DVD players in the 90s since they were mostly air by the end of the decade and much lighter than people expected them to be, so manufacturers started putting lead weights inside.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
are you feeling the genuine advantage?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr Dog posted:

then again maybe Apple isn't the best contrast to use there since literally every hollywood computer from 1990-2010 and probably onwards is conspicuously a Mac

not in anything made by Sony studios (cfe. James Bond films)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple does pay for some tv shows. see "promotional consideration provided by" in the credits. shows that have the apple logo covered up are ones that asked for money and got rejected. "House" was one where they did or didn't on various seasons and you can see his computer flipping between a pc and a Mac.

the reason they appear in movies is because writers use Macs so they write them into the scene. i can't think of a movie that had an apple promotional placement.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

and now their answer is

so basically they learned nothing and think the problem is marketing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theadder posted:

every person discussing indexing somehow got a ssdless mac

my iMac is like 5 years old and has a spinning disk. it is in dire need of an SSD but I've been too lazy to do it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

it's u, you're the navigator

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beeftweeter posted:

replace all idiot rage face memes with goatse so they all get fired

rage faces are a great tool for identifying someone you should never hire or interact with.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Re: presentation slides

Please resend without the memes. We are a Fortune 500 company, not an Internet comment section.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

surface is a type of iPad. like limewire is a type of napster.

zune is a type of iPod.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
p sure windows (desktop or tablet edition) didn't support capacitive multitouch until after the iPad was released so even the slate pedants are wrong.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mod sassinator posted:

how does having a unified platform help microsoft's devices? now you need to run windows update on your phone? your desktop is locked down to only run lovely store apps? your tablet has the battery life of a lovely x86 laptop?

intel's x86 chips for phones are terrible and no one wants them. intel has to pay massive subsidies to get anyone to use them.

yep

mod sassinator posted:

how will everything running x86 make 'compile once run everywhere' work for vastly different input types (touch, mouse, etc.), huge screen resolution differences, and major hardware differences (what is a health monitor app that uses biometric sensors on phones going to do on a laptop?)

compile once run everywhere is and always will be a pipe dream. if you want to build good experiences you have to build them for the device and hardware.

yep

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

argh the perspective is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?