Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

steven ballmer has steered microsoft into an iceberg and now the windows enterprise cash cow is taking on water. maybe satya can double the price of an office 365 sub to make up for it ?

VMware posted:

The Apple Enterprise Invasion

Microsoft Windows has dominated enterprise desktops for close to three decades but it appears its reign is coming to an end. As BYOPC and BYOD continue to transform the enterprise, Macs have become a popular and preferred option compared to Windows PCs. However, complex questions and challenges have risen around the support of these two very different platforms.

Since business computing has very unique requirements with legacy Windows desktop infrastructure and application ecosystem, we decided to dig a little deeper to try and understand what IT administrators think about the growing heterogeneous environment.

As a result, VMware commissioned a survey of 376 IT professionals conducted by Dimensional Research to assess the current state of enterprise desktops and created a report titled “The Apple Enterprise Invasion.” We are releasing the results for the first time today and they clearly show that Windows is losing its grip on the enterprise.

End-User Preferences

Perhaps the biggest takeaway from the results is that Windows is no longer the platform of choice in the enterprise with users overwhelmingly preferring Macs. User preference is the top reason given by IT administrators as to why their organization supports Macs with 73 percent of IT administrators identifying it as the main driver.

As a result, it should come as no surprise that the study found that 66 percent of businesses are already using Macs in the workplace today. But as we all know, end-users will work around corporate IT if they don’t get their way but the study found that a large majority of companies – more than 70 percent – officially support Macs as a corporate endpoint.

In addition, Windows PCs clearly have a perception problem with the top three justifications from employees for wanting a Mac being:

Macs are easier to use (73 percent)
Macs are cooler (52 percent)
The Mac display is better than Windows (42 percent)

While employees clearly prefer Macs, there are challenges from an IT perspective that Macs must overcome before they can replace Windows PCs in the enterprise.

IT Perspectives

Although end-users think Macs are easier to use, IT administrators have a different perspective with 75 percent who feel that Macs are not easier to support than Windows PCs. And contrary to popular opinion, 75 percent of IT administrators said that Macs do not offer increased security advantages.

Adding to the challenge, many critical business applications cannot run on Macs today because they were designed for Windows. In fact, 64 percent of IT administrators indicated that none or only some of their enterprise applications run on Macs today.

When considering Macs for use in the enterprise, the top capabilities that are most valuable to IT administrators are all related to productivity and security:

Ability to run Microsoft Office on a Mac (59 percent)
Ability to enable secure access to enterprise applications (59 percent)
Ability to run Windows on a Mac (41 percent)

As you can see, supporting a new OS platform is not as easy as one might think. Application support and compatibility issues are not things that end-users think about but they are critical for IT departments to fully assess and consider.

Bridging the Gap

Fortunately, virtual desktops can serve as a helpful tool to bridge the gap between two disparate operating systems and it’s not just VMware claiming this. The survey found that 89 percent of IT professionals stated that it would be valuable to have a virtual desktop that can run Windows on a Mac and 91 percent of respondents valued the ability to run the same virtual desktop on multiple platforms such as Windows, Mac and Linux.

Virtual desktops allow organizations to standardize on the Windows platform and support legacy business critical applications without any interruption to business while still giving employees the option to select the computer of their choice.

For companies, the choice is very clear – they need to respond to end-user demand for Macs in the enterprise or they will find it difficult to recruit and retain the best talent on the market. They also need to provide IT administrators the tools to support a heterogeneous desktop environment otherwise there will be disruption to the business. Virtual desktops such as Fusion Professional can be a tremendous help for companies in this situation.

https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2014/06/apple-enterprise-invasion.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

bump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Sharktopus posted:

what are you saying here cremnob

forward thinking CJs gotta get on the mac train in the enterprise

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its already happening

quote:

At multinational firms like network-equipment giant Cisco Systems Inc., CSCO +0.64% Apple is going mainstream. Cisco in 2009 adopted a "bring your own device" policy under which employees purchase their own phones and tablets, with Cisco paying the wireless bill in certain instances. Now, iPhones and iPads account for nearly three-fourths of the 70,000-plus mobile devices supported by Cisco's tech department.

Apple laptops spread quickly after Cisco gave employees the option to switch from Windows-based laptops. Today, one-fourth of Cisco's company-provided laptops—roughly 35,000—are Apple MacBooks. Macs cost more than PCs, a hurdle for Apple in the past. After taking into account factors like maintenance and support, Sheila Jordan, a Cisco senior vice president, said the costs end up about even over the life of the machine.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304244904579278560822979176

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

start supporting macs before u lose ur job

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

have u guys tried updating to the latest osx mavericks?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the latest osx will suit ur needs

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Bold Ambition & Our Core

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/ceo/index.html

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

xbox not gonna get headshot yet

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microsoft-exec-admits-new-reality-market-share-longer-90-14/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

they added 30,000 employees with the Nokia purchase, lollin' if you think 5000 cuts will make a difference. MS should cut 50,000 (from the top down)

do u know where the real scott forstall is?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol Microsoft cutting 18k jobs and taking a 1.6 bil hit

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Microsoft to Curtail Original Series Programming for Xbox

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/microsoft-reconsiders-original-programming-strategy-for-xbox-1201263982/

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

out of the frying pan and into the fire

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google is the new microsoft so dont apply there

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

but without the 30 years of milking their cows

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

cremnob how does it feel to know that microsoft is doing great.

microsoft is rearranging the deck chairs

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

what if the qa testing is what kept it stable??

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Microsoft CEO confirms the next version of Windows will work across all devices, from PCs to phones.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-bing-is-not-a-bottomless-money-pit-any-more-7000024555/

satya keep gunning for google search

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

this is the official microsoft is bad thread. the other one has a bad OP

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up

I’ve been using a Windows Phone since Windows Phone 7 shipped, and for many years before that (with the exception on 1 year on the iPhone 3GS) I used Windows Mobile. Indeed my history with Microsoft’s mobile offerings goes back to the original Handheld PC followed by a number of Pocket PCs. So for the last few years, with the occasional complaint , I’ve worked around Windows Phone’s so-called App Gap. It hasn’t been pleasant. And now I have hit an app requirement that doesn’t appear to have a workaround. One that might drive me to Android, if not back to an iPhone.

There is no Windows Phone application for the Honeywell Total Connect 2.0 security system. There is one for the iPhone, Android, and (get this) Blackberry. The website requires Apple QuickTime, so that isn’t an answer. In fact if you go to the website with WP8.1 it thinks you are on a Blackberry and tells you to download the Blackberry app!

There is a third party app. Many users report trouble getting it to work, and even those who rate it highly say it has very limited function. Basically you can arm or disarm. But that isn’t the only reason I need to access my system, so the app (even if it works) is inadequate. Further, it costs $2.99 and there is no trial. Ordinarily I wouldn’t have bothered downloading it, but I wanted to see for myself. So now I’m down $2.99. The app works, but won’t do what I need. So I’m S O L.

Of course moving off Windows Phone would bring other benefits, like being able to control my SONOS (another case of inadequate third-party apps not really filling the gap) or sync my Fitbit without using my wife’s iPhone. Or actually get a smartwatch. Or run a dozen or more other apps where I’ve resigned myself to struggling with a website for the last few years.

Of course some of these things are coming to Windows Phone. Eventually. Maybe. I mean, Uber finally made it this week. Finally. Are the other things imminent? Who knows. They could appear next month, or I could get someone pregnant and see my child graduate high school first. Someone said that to me recently and I thought they were joking, now I’m not so sure.

So I’ve finally fallen into the app gap. And as long as I stay on Windows Phone it seems I can’t get up. I’m done fighting, tomorrow I’ll probably get a Samsung Galaxy S 5. Lemming seems like a fine label to wear right now.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

he p. much signaled that it wasn't "core" in his letter and that probly means they'll sell it off eventually

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

I also want to share some additional thoughts on Xbox and its importance to Microsoft. As a large company, I think it's critical to define the core, but it's important to make smart choices on other businesses in which we can have fundamental impact and success. The single biggest digital life category, measured in both time and money spent, in a mobile-first world is gaming. We are fortunate to have Xbox in our family to go after this opportunity with unique and bold innovation. Microsoft will continue to vigorously innovate and delight gamers with Xbox. Xbox is one of the most-revered consumer brands, with a growing online community and service, and a raving fan base. We also benefit from many technologies flowing from our gaming efforts into our productivity efforts – core graphics and NUI in Windows, speech recognition in Skype, camera technology in Kinect for Windows, Azure cloud enhancements for GPU simulation and many more. Bottom line, we will continue to innovate and grow our fan base with Xbox while also creating additive business value for Microsoft.

the fact that he separates it from the rest of the core businesses tells me that if things go south in xbox or doesn't make enough money, they'll get rid of it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea but now its satya running the place. they also have an activist investor on the board and the old ballmer stuff isnt gonna fly anymore

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the whole letter is full of bullshit but thats how these things are written and thats why that defense just highlights some positive aspects of xbox. if they aren't ready to make a decision on whether to axe it or not then he obviously has to be positive about it. they just launched xbox one so they probly wanna see how things shake out before they make a decision. but reading that part makes it clear that xbox isn't on the same footing as the rest of the stuff he talked about before that

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao. IE will spoof safari in the latest windows phone update

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-81-update-1-internet-explorer

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

is microsoft making office for anrouid

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i asked paul thurrot on twitter and he said he hadnt heard anything about it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

graph posted:

i cant ask him anything because he blocked me :<

make a new twitter. i made another one cause marc andreessen blocked me

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

switches are bad

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmaoooooooooooo

paul thurrot is turning winsupersite into an apple blog. he tries to couch the post in comparing lumia to iphone for windows users but its really transparent that hes pivoting to cover apple more lmao

http://winsupersite.com/mobile/windows-fan-iphone-6-no-lumia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Amethyst posted:

you really oversold this poo poo cremob.

gently caress you

Here's the deal. I need to use a variety of devices regularly. I need to test Microsoft's solutions on these devices, and I need to experience and write about what Apple, Google, Amazon and other companies are doing on these devices too. But when push comes to shove, when confronted by that desert island question—i.e. "if you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one smart phone..."—the answer is simple. Lumia 1520. Windows Phone.

That could change. I mean, obviously that will change. It's possible that a future Lumia—the Lumia 830, perhaps, or a coming flagship—could alter my preferences. And it's even possible that future advances to Android and/or iOS and specific new rival devices could push me towards a different future. That's life. But today? Foreseeable future? Windows Phone.

So relax, please. This thing is bigger than all of us. The iPhone 6/6 Plus are important. They're popular devices. They're excellent handsets. I'm going to write about them. I'm going to use them. It's OK.

But I keep looking over at the Lumia 1520. Don't worry, big guy. I miss you.

• Locked thread