Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

reminder that macs are toys and you are literally of lesser intelligence if you use one. microsoft windows is the standard and everyone should use the standard. windows can do everything ergo there is no need for anything else. all competitors should be banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol i wonder how those keyboards are doing wrt failing screens

it's been what, 6 years since they came out?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fleshweasel posted:

on the contrary, they let you use

pro

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i'll say it again

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

okay so can anyone tell me what part of that cortana ad siri can't do

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

qirex posted:

let's not forget the external hd-dvd drive [MS spent another billion on "goodwill" supporting the hd-dvd platform] which had its own power brick

lol they wanted to be sega so bad

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anthonypants posted:

no i'm pretty sure the main reason they didn't do blu-ray was because that's what the ps3 had

not the hddvd dingus, the parting out half the console's features as add-ons with their own power bricks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

anthonypants posted:

how is this comparable to the hd-dvd peripheral that nobody bought. microsoft didn't design their console around hd-dvd and it needed more than 5V and that doesn't mean they were trying to be sega, it means they were being microsoft

i'm the taking yospos seriously part

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it was probably that bad when it first came out but by intel they had it figured out

the worst part was that uac was a necessary evil and all the nerds telling their parents how to turn it off probably set windows security back a year or two

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it probably took them a few tries to get a group that didn't just roll their eyes and steal a bagel on the way out the door

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

*selects all available updates
*click install
*error: windows already installing updates, please try again
*wait
*try again
*no updates available

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

flakeloaf posted:

if only there were some standalone pack of updates that they could offer to vanilla installs

maybe as a part of some service

lol if this even gets you half way through on windows 7 anymore

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

p sure it's only based on the number of updates, so if updates 1-15 are tiny hotfixes and update 16 is a giant patch bundle it'll race to 90% and sit there

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

time travel to the future where the install is complete so you know when it finishes, go back in time and adjust the progress bar change rate in consequence. easy!

the solution early os x had for the boot progress bar sounds crazy but was actually really smart

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

how !! was endless fun in cobol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

wdarkk posted:

What was it? I tried googling it but just got a bunch of stuff about the disk fix it does when you screw up real bad.

it timed how long the boot took and stored that in a file, the next boot it would read the length of time and set the progress bar to take that much time to go from 0 to 100 no matter what.

http://daringfireball.net/misc/2005/04/tiger_details#waitingforloginwindow

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

parallels has better graphics performance but is basically $50 a year unless you never upgrade OS X.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Kool Kids Korner and Desktop Environment

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

permission from who

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

haha that's precious, after how many years of every cod ad ending with "Jump in" they're trying to look like they've been unfairly prevented from advertising

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PleasureKevin posted:

here's some more entries from help_i_have_to_use_windows_at_work.txt

After sending one message in Lync, it will add subsequent messages below (as expected). But the space between the first message and the last message is different than the space between the second message and the third message. Why?

Lync will always software mute you when you join a channel. Even if your Mic is muted too. So you are “double-muted” and can get confused about why no one can hear you even though you’ve unmated you mic.

In Lync, right-clicking a user in your user search results gives you an option to favourite them, but clicking the user in your conversation list does not. Clicking their details area in the convo will give you yet a third set of options, including start an IM conversation, even though they are already in one with you. You can expend the options and add the user to contacts, even though they are already a contact. There is yet another button to “View more options for interacting with this person”, but it does not have a favourite option either.

Lync determines whether you’re active or inactive based on mouse movement, but not keyboard activity. So you can be chatting with someone, in Lync, and be “inactive”.

I have 16BG of RAM and Lync can’t even scroll smoothly. The conversation with approx 60 lines (pretty short) will have to load the first previous messages as I scroll up, then load the recent messages as I scroll back down. They are momentarily invisible as I scroll, and the movement is jerky.

yeah but you could be using sametime

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

they don't tw me on my way into work everyday, why should anyone else get one?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sniep posted:

windows versions, counting new editions but not point releases

Win 3.0 - Bad
Win 95 - Good
Win 98 - Bad
Win 98 SE - Good
Win ME - Bad
Win XP - Good
Win Vista - Bad
Win 7 - Good
Win 8 - Bad

amirite?!?!?? haha

um excuse me u forgot windows 2000????????????????

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

sametime lets you specify any image as an emoticon and embeds it, regardless of dimensions

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

such as:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

THC posted:

i, too, love it when the onion repeats the same joke 18 times

same but your posting

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

one thing i do miss is an im client that lets me use custom smilies (like importing the sa ones) in a way where it actually gets sent to the person i'm chatting with in a way where they don't have to have the same customizations. MSN messenger was awesome for that :smith:

sametime

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

SO DEMANDING posted:

as long as microsoft is in business, this will be relevant, and you are a good person for making it

we use lotus notes at work and it is poo poo poo poo poo poo, but sametime is shockingly decent. it functions more or less like a chat program from 2003 and that is absolutely fine. i wish more companies would understand this, sometimes you manage to nail down a featureset and you can stop tossing on stupid bullshit.

our installation would be better if the server didn't have issues once every two weeks. "sometime" going down is basically a meme at this point

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol that price floor being set at quad cores

e: and the pity discount for buying amd whose cores only count as .75 of a processor

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Lysidas posted:

uninformed yospinion: seems like RIM had good stuff (better than anyone else at the time anyway) and always assumed they'd stay #1 without having to do anything with their stagnant technology, even after everybody else caught up and then started to actually innovate

microsoft is actively wrecking their own stuff, not just having other people outdo them

wasn't rim the one that declared the first iphone impossible when it was announced?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PleasureKevin posted:

also the sexism in having a mani-pedi appointment instead of a business meeting

did they actually remake the icons, but still not make them consistent? tell me those are the windows vista icons still. somehow that would be better.

msot of those icons are still vista icons because ms can't follow through on anything, yes

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

drop shadows even larger than os x lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

yeah, that one is

none of the folder or drive icons in explorer are redesigned yet, though, even though they did get around to doing desktop and pc this time

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Millstone posted:

is what i originally posted but he's talking about the one vista/7 has in the start menu that does local search

yeah that's what the bar was, it was called windows desktop search or something and it was put out because spotlight came out over a year before vista

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

actually it doesn't require deep integration, they just wanted to sell it as a separate product which means a separate sku for wmc and for windows that comes w/ wmc. they also had to create skus for the 3rd world that didn't come with any windows media products.

they also had to come up wth skus that beep boop faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

lol i played minecraft for charity so i can confidently say gently caress that game so hard

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

colbylol posted:

minecraft is poo poo you nerds lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

super fart shooter posted:

minecraft was in alpha when it first got popular so then they kicked it through "beta" and "release" so they could jack up the pricetag, even though it didn't pass any developmental milestiones and barely changed at all from being a janky unifinished pos

im pretty sure the company that ported it to consoles has done far more work to improve the experience of actually playing minecraft than mojang has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

"i'd make the morally superior choice, duh :smug:"

*will never actually have to face that situation*

• Locked thread