Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i imagine a large part of why they're getting rid of skype is that it is a complete security disaster and fixing it is basically impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
treat any reviews where the site is dependent on receiving product/advertising from manufacturers with a grain of salt

basically any score lower than a 9.0 means it's pure garbage and any score lower than an 8.0 means the company didn't lavish them with enough ads/product

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kirk posted:

i went to the ms campus the other day and the uber i took to get there was driven by a guy who worked at ms??????????

i don't know, was it?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
god help me, i read that entire thing

i sincerely hope it's some male power fantasy fan fiction because otherwise it's terrifying to think he might be working somewhere at all anywhere

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the worst part is he apparently has a diagnosis of being a savant which is basically a license to be the biggest know-it-all in creation

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mishaq posted:

centos is cool & good

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightbulb Out posted:

laptops still come with spinny drives? im so sorry

it's going to be super cool in a few years when everyone who adopted ssds for home use can no longer use their computers

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

this statement doesn't make no sense

i'll explain: ssds have a limited write capacity and eventually become unusable for anything other than read activities, given that they are intended for enterprise use in servers where they hold a static image that can be served up multiple times rapidly but requires little to no write activity

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's already happening to people who bought ssds a few years ago

gosh it's almost as if all of the shills who said the write capacity issues would never be encountered were lying to drive consumer ssd sales

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

give me an example of anyone actually hitting this read/write limit

sure hold on a sec while i exert any effort at all to do your work for you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

because rotational drives dont fail. are you really this loving stupid stymie lol (yes)

not if you actually take care of your devices they don't

it's kind of weird how frequently spinny drives fail for people who never bother to clean their computers to ensure they ventilate properly

i'm sure it's just coincidence and the solution is to buy hardware that have pre-defined lifespans by the manufacturer because at least then you'll know it's coming

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

r u ready to WALK posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ssd-reliability-in-the-real-world-googles-experience/

"Two standout conclusions from the study. First, that MLC drives are as reliable as the more costly SLC "enteprise" drives. This mirrors hard drive experience, where consumer SATA drives have been found to be as reliable as expensive SAS and Fibre Channel drives."

"The paper's second major conclusion, that age, not use, correlates with increasing error rates, means that over-provisioning for fear of flash wearout is not needed. None of the drives in the study came anywhere near their write limits, even the 3,000 writes specified for the MLC drives.

But it isn't all good news. SSD UBER rates are higher than disk rates, which means that backing up SSDs is even more important than it is with disks. The SSD is less likely to fail during its normal life, but more likely to lose data."

tldr Stymied again
only an idiot would choose a hdd with 5% of the performance because of this

sounds like a checksumming file system is a good idea though and mirroring for your critical datas

oh cool, so you don't have to worry about the drives wearing out earlier than normal hdds because of hitting the write limit, you have to worry about the drives dying earlier because of lovely tech, with the added bonus of losing 100% of what's stored on the drive when it does fail

i'm glad we got that cleared up

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

akadajet posted:

yeah like backing up your silly claims lol

this isn't d&d my dude, i don't gotta back up poo poo, i just have to be correct

you ought to back up frequently, however, because your ssd is a ticking time bomb of data loss

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the first question you should always ask someone who uses a 24 hour clock is how long they've been in the military

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I used 24hr time while in Zambia and it was better in every way vOv

how long have you been in the military?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's clearly a cat

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think a better question is how long have you been the international stereotype of a typical american imo

i forgot the other reason people use 24 hour clocks: they're weeaboo japanophiles

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the best ads in windows 10 are the ads for onedrive that pop up in the file explorer

which are proof that they intend to show even more ads and have the mechanisms to do so

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TjyvTompa posted:

it shouldnt be necessary but this free program let's you control many settings that are hidden and makes my windows 10 usable:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

i also assume that many people that have problems with popups and suggestions regarding edge, photo viewer et.c. are using a laptop, it seems windows 10 is more aggressive on those devices as compared to desktop computers, might be why people have such wildly different experiences

sure hold on a sec while i install some rando software and use it to alter the registry to fix problems with an os i was dumb enough to install in the first place

lol at installing windows 10

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maximum Leader posted:

Satya knows and loves you. He knows which settings you like and which ones you don't like but desperately need. Just Trust Satya

the very simple solution to this is to not install shady third party "tweak" programs that have full registry access AND to not install windows 10

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rjmccall posted:

ibm designs a pc that can be cheaply made out of commodity parts
microsoft is contracted to make a lovely os for that pc because ibm can't be bothered
microsoft negotiates the right to sell their lovely os to pc cloners because ibm completely misjudges potential for clone market
clone market takes off, microsoft rides wave, releases more versions of lovely os
microsoft starts developing windows nt, which at least is not total poo poo at the very core, but takes fifteen years to realize that maybe they should just use it instead of continuing to hack more things on top of their lovely os
microsoft continues to ride wave of happening to get in on ground floor of a slightly cheaper platform built with another company's market power
microsoft releases successive graphical versions of its lovely os, but they're still super lovely. in some ways they're shittier than ever
apple still exists and, despite a lot of bad decisions and market disadvantages, still manages to make an os that is somewhat less lovely than microsoft's
microsoft is soooo mad that apple still exists, deeply internalizes their sales pitch that apple customers are completely duped by marketing
steve returns, apple products start massively improving
microsoft spends fifteen years making lovely clones of everything apple does because microsoft is obviously just the best at everything

then steve dies and apple turns to making lovely clones of everything microsoft (and samsung) does because tim has no vision or leadership

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hp is basically entirely dependent on microsoft for their business to succeed so more than likely they got strongarmed into using windows for their mobile devices only to have ms pull the carpet out from under them

not to say that trying to enter the mobile market (very late, and not for the first time) was the smartest strategy but they probably couldn't have gone android without getting abandoned by ms

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2spoopy4me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
deeply disappointed that all the mystery posts weren't just goatse over and over

• Locked thread