Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how so? is it a cortana thing?

i have cortana completely disabled and search from the start menu comes up with the app i want in about three keystrokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have it too, comes up on top every time.

i suppose if i launched paint or 3d paint after searching that might change

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it came up first when you typed "p", why keep tying? what you wanted was already there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh my god yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bash* by microsoft

*now we have bash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also depending on what version of powershell you have ^c will either paste copy or terminate a command

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 4, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nah it's copy. even microsoft wouldn't gently caress up that bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

itt: every idiot who follows some random guide to "optimize" windows then gets mad when half the os breaks after an update and also gets pwned by an exploit that never got patched because they failed at artisanally curating their updates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gpos are supported, breaking poo poo with invalid registry values isn't, if you do that and things change later what you've broken is likely to multiply

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when people were unironically sharing kernel hacks that replaced the boot animation via this handy little utility you run that disables kernel signing and helpfully injects code into the kernel for you?

that was hilarious, especially when they got real loving butthurt over being called out as idiots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey guys lets run random bullshit found on the internet with full administrative rights! there is literally no way this could go wrong because i know and trust the vendors of this free utility

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the best thing microsoft ever did was make turning off uac completely break poo poo

and gently caress every idiot lob vendor and systems integrator who still do it as part of their base install.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao.

i have a build of win 10 home w/creators update for testing. it will not stop reinstalling the f2p shitware games that come pre-loaded. no matter how many times i right-click and chose uninstall, they're right back after the next reboot.

it's great that i no longer have to download some shady bullshit off the internet to wind up with persistent adware that i can never remove.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

greybeard status: revoked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*GA avenger pulls a sick2nasty barrel roll and noscope360s a hellfire into a market stall*~

cmdr HELLFRAG takes a sick hit of his vape as the unreal MULTIKILL sample plays

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 18, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's actually in a submarine tho

https://pilotonline.com/news/milita...d29e052b76.html

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

A sailor tests using an Xbox controller at a lab in northern Virginia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

What about me, the AMD user?

lol

cinci zoo sniper posted:

nvenc runs on gpu, its shadowplay stuff with minor overhead. thats the only way i can record something with my 4210u

is this the machine that can't reliably run a web browser for any length of time?

i can't remember if that was you or someone with a similar avatar

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that is definitely specific to your deployment/image.

i'm not saying the surface is good, but i've deployed a bunch and they are not that bad either.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

burning through your twenties, making barely enough to get by, working 12 hour days of always having to be "on", with no benefits, no career progression, no real job skills gained, your base of support could evaporate at any moment

so working in hospitality then?

like, literally every restaurant/bar you've ever been to.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't get me wrong, i'm not denigrating the skills of hospitality workers. but the industry treats them as completely interchangeable in a lot of cases, so skilled or no, it's not a career path

and tbf, a gamer whose game is shut down can probably pick up another one with similar mechanics fairly trivially.

the point being, i'm not weeping for "pro gamers". that's been the plight of anyone doing actual labour since roughly forever.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 30, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

congratulations on being an old using a computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

uhh you gonna actually provide some proof of this retarded bullshit? GFE isn't great but this is just paranoid delusion. what would nvidia even want everyones user folder for?

also, this would include tens of gigs of user temp data, from everything. and this is being sent on residential connections with ~1-10mbps uploads?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when they said gently caress it, we'll do it live when migrating the back-end and then nuked the entire thing for days?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

didn't it turn out the sidekick platform was so tightly coupled to the backend that it didn't even function as a phone while the service was out?

e: nm, that's kin i'm thinking of

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 30, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we don't even know how many deaths she caused

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i meant in a "still technically makes/receives phone calls and texts" sense. yeah, the user data was nuked, so if your phone powered off at any point during the outage, when it came back up it was empty. but you could still make calls

iirc the kin just straight up won't function any more (assuming you could find one), because the os relied on being able to contact the platform back-end to do anything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

still loling at the "we had exactly one disaster recovery backup, we had to delete it to start this disaster recovery backup, and now you're telling us to stop 1/3rd of the way through because a vendor says it'll be fine?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

verizon wanted it dead as much as ms did by the time it finally rolled out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Microsoft's Kin failure sank morale at the company's Redmond campus according to an employee who emailed us after the news broke.

"Embarrassment all over campus from the rank and file about the Kin announcement," says this Microsoftie.

The problem is that, "no one thought it was a great product to launch anyway to begin with," and "Credibility in Mobile space is further eroded, as if that were even possible!"

Indeed, it opened up Microsoft for a vicious attack from the New York Times (of all places) which wrote, "the Kin debacle is a reflection of Microsoft’s struggle to deliver what the younger generation of technology-obsessed consumers wants. From hand-held products to business software, Microsoft seems behind the times." (Our emphasis added.)

Our Microsoftie told us:

"We had a huge launch party on campus and I bet that party cost more than the amount of revenues we took in on the product. As an employee, I am embarrassed. As a shareholder, I am pissed. It's one thing to incubate products and bring them to a proof-of-concept to see what works, but it's something else to launch. I suspect we launched because we felt like we HAD to so we could save face because we were trying to build buzz, but overall - HUGE fail."

Other Microsoft employees, and former Microsoft employees, are taking this opportunity to pile on Microsoft over at Mini-Microsoft, a sort-of message board for Microsoft's employee's gripes. Here's some of the most pertinent tid bits:

"All I can say as a former Windows Mobile employee who is now working for a competitor in the phone space is that this is good news for the rest of us...Personally I quit because of the frustrating management and autocratic decision style of Terry Myerson and Andrew Lees. The only exec in the team myself and other folks respcted was Tom Gibbons who is now sidelined. Lees and Myerson don't know consumer products or phones. Gibbons at least knows consumer product development. We often talk about how Andrew Lees still has a job but Microsoft's loss is a gain for the rest of us."

And from another person..."And now Kin is killed *after* it has shipped in June 2010. You can bet Andy was involved in the development of Kin, the partnership agreements with the OEM, Verizon and most importantly the "ship it" approvals all along the way. And Microsoft discovers its a bad idea after it blows up in the broad market. Absolutely no thanks to any pro-active decision making on Andy's part.
Now there is spin that Andy killed kin to put all the wood behind Windows Phone 7. Er, the guy was in charge for two years of Kin development. He could have made this decision far earlier. Similarly Windows Phone 7 has two years of development under his watch. Based on his past performance, 99% chance this is also going to be a total catastrophe. It further doesn't help that much of the Windows Phone 7 leadership team was kicked out of Windows when they screwed up Vista.

A former Danger employee calls Microsoft a "dysfunctional organization where decisions were made by politics rather than logic."

Another person commented, "I for one can't believe that no one has been axed over the Kin debacle. Billions of dollars were wasted, not to mention all of the smart people over there who spent 3 years with no return on the investment.

If Roz and/or Andy doesn't go, what does that say about our supposed value of 'accountability?' I for one am tired of accountability meaning 'we move them over here and give them a smaller project and hope they resign'"

Another comment, "I wonder why in the wake of the Kin debacle everyone is blaming Lees, Ho and Myerson while Matt Bencke is being let off the hook. He was the one who approved the flawed business model that depended on the operators charging MORE for a Pink plan than an unlimited plan. He was the one who approved the business projections based on this fictitious assumption. He is the one who used those projections to get the Danger deal through. He is the one who sold deal to Verizon and Vodafone that Microsoft would be unable to deliver. He was the one who pushed for important features to be cut so a team could be put to work on the "international expansion" that never arrived.

To top incompetence with lack of integrity, he is the kind of person who would ask someone on his team to pay for a $1000+ Ferragamo coat (after Bencke left his on a plane) with the corporate card and expense it.

Microsoft should have never rehired him after he left the first time. There is a reason that neither his former manager nor his former skip wanted him back."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, no, i'm sold

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

wait one in approx. 503 huh? we have a old broken kin laying around here that we havent gotten around to donating for old electronics recycling

my wife got it right after she finished undergrad, when she wasnt making much right out of college, while on her sister's phone plan

she dropped it onto a decently-padded carpeted floor, permanently breaking the screen - no cracks but black screen from then on

mail it to me, i want to examine it

and add it to my collection of technological failures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

dsyp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

too beautiful for this world

also i had no idea the KIN TWO existed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

is this a good start

i would srsly be happy to mail it, but probably want to make some effort to wipe it first, afaik only the screen is broken

neat. danke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

like pissing in your pants to keep warm

• Locked thread