Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SO DEMANDING posted:

people are flocking to iPhones...which they use to check their email from an exchange server. iPads are also popular...and are being used to check email on an exchange server and as dumb terminals using poo poo like citrix. and anyone who does anything even remotely important is still using office

i mean yeah ok microsoft has made some terrible loving decisions and hilarious fuckups over the last few years, but ultimately they are still absolutely enormous in the enterprise and it will take many many more years of constant fuckups and bad decisions to seriously erode that market share

if ballmer was still at them helm, yeah i could see that happening, but now i think theres a chance microsoft will pull some of its hydra-like heads out of its rear end and realize that enterprise is where they excel (hah) and make money, while consumer poo poo is just not a strong point worth pursuing

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Internaut! posted:

I just watched this documentary about the Large Hadron Collider and the discovery of the Higgs boson

amongst the many revelations in that film is that virtually every one of those folks uses a Mac from the most pie-in-the-sky theorists to the magnet janitors to the administrators and everything in between, and plenty of iPads and iPhones besides

in other words, people with advanced degrees in hard sciences from the best schools at the top of their respective fields, whose careers depend on computation and can choose any platform they want to, overwhelmingly choose Macs to work on

but

can we hear more from some more bottom rung computer janitors about how Macs just can't be used for real work

wow u mean maths people who do specific research and probably use unixy poo poo and aren't part of a corporate infrastructure prefer macs and it works for them? wow, its like that has anything in the world to do w/ suzie the loan processor.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ask cortana to close explorer.exe

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

i'm upgrading vmware to see if there's a new vmware tools that works better with win10. in the meantime, here's the new authentically digital settings menu

what does control panel look like

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

Is that search box permanently there wasting space or can you turn it off?

this is a dumb thing to care about

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

how many things do you have open jesus christ

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
bitlocker killed my ssd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

FMguru posted:

i remember an article about ballmer from 2-3 years ago where they said he did all his work on a giant hdtv touchscreen running windows 8 metro in his office

i guess that was the prototype for the surface hub

• Locked thread