Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

so starting early 2016, they're killing support for any version of IE that isn't the newest one (so IE9 if you're a sad still using Vita/vanilla 2008, IE10 if you're using Server 2012, IE11 if you're using anything else). this is progress given how insanely long ie6 was supported, but i imagine some companies with old-as-poo poo internal websites might be panicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

nobody ever got fired for buying microsoft software

this is true, and i know someone who went out and bought the home and student version of office. twice in a row. like, she bought the wrong thing and didn't realize until she opened it, called us, we told her the correct version to buy, she went back and bought the wrong one again. it even said on the package it doesn't come with outlook (and can't be used in a business) :ughh:

i'm glad we don't have that client anymore

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

office 365 has made this worse if anything. small businesses think because it says 5pcs they can bring in their home edition license and use it on all the office pcs at once.

to be fair, microsoft licensing is the dumbest loving thing there is and a lot of their poo poo is really baffling to "normal" people

wait, i can't transfer this copy of office that i bought with my dell laptop to another laptop because the dell laptop died? (didn't the eu say this was unenforceable anyway)

wait, this volume license of windows doesn't work unless my computer already has a copy of windows? and this can't be a home edition of windows?

also people in accounting tend to be olds who are used to a world where the idea of replacing a machine you bought 4 years ago is insane, and seem to think "i bought excel back in 2003 which means i can just use it forever because a spreadsheet is a spreadsheet, just like i never replaced my physical calculator, or my car, an 80's car that still works can drive on the highway just fine so logically a computer from 2004 should be able to handle the information superhighway just fine"

the one good thing i'll say about the hell of working for a major bank was that licensing/expired warranty issues weren't among them

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

this is awesome, because it takes what would otherwise be a pretty easy sell, even at the price (namely volume license w/software assurance), and just punts the price through the roof.

me: yes, to simplify your licensing we'd like you to buy two copies of windows for every computer you have, that way you'll always have the latest edition available (even though you would anyway thanks to a three year upgrade cycle).

client: did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

me: yes, i believe i did

but wait, if you're a charity/non-profit you can "upgrade" from a home version of windows. but you still need a base version of windows because lol we're not that generous

i also wish i had a pic of it now but one of our super-cheap clients bought some refurbished lenovo pc's, which had their motherboards replaced.

they actually had to get a special 2nd batch of oem license keys because the original was "tied" to the dead mobo, they were brown stickers and the original blue sticker had i think X's all across it to indicate it was no longer valid

i swear we'd have to do half as much work if companies were less stupid about their licensing. gently caress you microsoft, adobe and autodesk, respectively

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 8, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Snapchat A Titty posted:

lol you just made me imagine a windows or office license dongle

for windows it's already a thing, just at the bios chip level

it would work well, too, if not for the whole "we changed the key matrix from windows 8 to windows 8.1" thing

and office binds to a microsoft account now for non-vl editions :ughh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SO DEMANDING posted:

the beauty of microsoft's licensing is that even they don't understand it themselves, so if you ever have a problem just keep calling MS until you get the answer you want!

i've noticed this too, but in my experience with similar things in other domains the answer is usually "he was wrong, too bad, should've used your psychic powers bitch". has anyone successfully gotten audited and successfully thrown a microsoft licensing manager under the bus?

this has been a thing since office 2013 launched.

fun fact: all non-vl editions of office are based on the click-to-run streamed installer, even the offline installer is just a local copy of the CTR stuff. the only msi-based installer, and thus the only one with office plugin compatibility, is volume license.

yeah, this was super-fun times. we have to create a new email address with COMPUTERNAME@DOMAIN.COM and document its credentials for each new machine to maintain our sanity

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

wait what the gently caress, you're saying office 365 is tied to a windows account? when the target market is enterprise? what's the model, that each individual user will have a msoft account or what

that makes no sense

Volume License versions of Office are still 25-character key and installer-style.

But the one you buy in stores binds to an MS account, yes.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

oh okay, i misunderstood. because that would be crazy

of course, if your company isn't huge and is cheap as gently caress they won't get volume licenses, because it might actually be cheaper in some territories to just buy office in stores, and also they tend to have poo poo planning and need a license now because they're burning money paying the new employee they never told us about to just sit there and wank so they have to go out and buy the retail version so we can install it so the new employee can sit there and wank

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

It's great how MS allows a user to set an .lnk open with a default program, like Excel for example, and the only way to fix it is download some loving registry file to fix it.

also I hate my users.

you haven't truly cj'ed until you've seen this happen with EXE files. fun things happen when that occurs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

the weird thing imho is how the ps4 weighs like nothing compared to the xbone, and it has the psu built in where the xbone comes with a huge external brick. you'd think having the psu inside would make it heavier overall

how is the xbone so drat heavy compared

the xbone has some really weird design decisions, partially because they were unbelievably paranoid about a repeat of the rrod fiasco which cost them like a billion dollars, but mostly because microsoft

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

theadder posted:

you may be a victim of software piracy microsoft

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

i think there's some other factor at play there because they still use them even though they cover up the apple logo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Management posted:

i can't think of a movie that had an apple promotional placement.

jesus tapdancing christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsAS-Ke8Qhk

this ad both partially spoils the movie's ending with its tagline and also only shows the powerbook in its initial movie role as a death clock

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

in contrast, The Davinci Code had to digitally remove the Apple Logo because the last scene in the movie (above mary's tomb) takes place in a part of the louvre which is a literal shopping mall with an apple store

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

graph posted:

that was gil amelio and his 'we lost 755mil this quarter but we're fine, lol!'

the only mid-90's "business disaster" person i knew called gil was from the simpsons so i looked this guy up and his wikipedia is gold

quote:

Amelio cited several problems at Apple including a shortage of cash and liquidity, low-quality products, lack of a viable operating system strategy, undisciplined corporate culture, and fragmentation in trying to do too much and in too many directions.

quote:

During Amelio's tenure Apple's stock continued to slump and hit a 12-year low in Q2 1997 that was at least partially caused by a single sale of 1.5 million shares of Apple stock on June 26 by an anonymous party who was later confirmed to be Steve Jobs.[5] Apple lost another $708 million. On the July 4, 1997 weekend, Jobs convinced the directors to oust Amelio in a boardroom coup; Amelio submitted his resignation less than a week later; and Jobs then became interim CEO on September 16. In a 2007 interview with technology journalist Gina Smith, who asked him how Apple was doing, Jobs quoted Amelio as once saying:

"Apple is like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

mainland china killed hk movie quality, now every movie has to have some weird message about cooperation or self-sacrifice at the end and I swear they shoehorn in mandarin-speaking characters just because

isn't this slowly becoming "all movies" now?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FMguru posted:

wasnt that traditional for consoles - sell at a loss for a while until volume ramps up and you can start making them cheaper, and make all the money on game royalties (classic cheap printer / expensive toner strategy)?

of course if your console doesnt show a ps2-style sales curve then youre proper hosed (the xbone will not show a ps2-style sales curve and msft is proper hosed)

Sony and Microsoft used to do this (both the PS3 and 360 had manufacturing costs north of $800USD at first and they were proper-losing a few hundred for every console sold), but pretty much vowed not to anymore because it cost both of them astronomically last time. Sony especially seems to have hit the sweet spot of system build/price, although it's selling gently caress-all in Japan (it's been 6 months and I think they still haven't sold the same number of PS4's as Sony did on the first day PS2's were available there)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blackula69 posted:

wait i didn't know about some of this stuff, can you explain

The lack of pads means if you nudge a 360 while the disc is spinning it will scratch the gently caress out of the outer ring of the disc and make the disc unusable. You have to be careful buying used from Gamestop because a lot of 360 games are this way despite the fact that they're meant to check.

The Xclamp design is how the system was designed internally which basically made it into a hotbox which would overheat and separate chips from the motherboard, resulting in the infamous rrod

and at launch you could buy the 360 with no storage for i think $299 but extra storage was crazy-expensive and still is (ms is launching a 500 gig xbox 360 hard drive soon and charging $110 for it. currently you have to pay $130 for a 320 gig), with the cheap options for the bare essentials being a 128 meg flash storage (which they eventually had to offer a free exchange to a 256 meg for). because of this baseline it hamstrung the gently caress out of game capabilities, since all games were required to be fully functional without installation and had a patch limit size of 64 megs (until about a year ago)

it was nice in that you could start playing a game within 30 seconds of inserting the disc but eventually ps3 games started going above and beyond what the 360 was doing and finally rockstar managed to tell ms they were being stupid and managed to push in a game install requirement for gta5

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

this is why they're coming out with that wacky tv thing

which is also selling super-terribly, to the point where goddamn psp game pre-orders are outselling it

still better than xbox's sales, though

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

it was dubbed "the tard pack" by Gamers

wasn't there also a problem with availability of the SKU with the hard drive, forcing some people to get the $299 hdless one and paying an assload for like a 20 gig hd?

i honestly don't know, i left the country a few months before the 360 came out and moved to japan for a few years so i have zero knowledge of the first like 3 years of the 360's life

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cost them millions in R&D work and earned them (probably) nothing

it actually earned them less than nothing.

sega to ea: "dudes you should totally make sega cd games, we're going to support it forever man, it'll totally be worth spending tons of your resources to learn how to make games for it."
sega to ea: "dudes you should totally make 32x games, we're going to support it forever man, it'll totally be worth spending tons of your resources to learn how to make games for it."
ea: "what's this about both of those things being discontinued?"
sega to ea: "oh, yeah, poo poo happens, y'know? but dudes, you should totally make sega saturn games, we're going to support it forever man, it'll totally be worth spending tons of your resources to learn how to make games for it."
sega to ea: "dudes you should totally make dreamcast ga-"
ea: "you know what? gently caress you. in fact, that's exactly what we're going to do. best of luck with your console which now can't have sports games using the actual teams."

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Miley Virus posted:

cause otherwise you wouldn't have been able to save at all

apparently the core sku literally came with nothing storage-wise. the storage solution at the time was 64 megs of flash memory for $30, which they later had to offer free exchanges for to a larger size (i forget if the freebie was 128 or 256 megs) so they could continue doing os updates

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

funnily enough apple made a similar rrod-like mistake with the apple iii back in '84 (it was the first non-woz design and was a fanless computer in an aluminum box)

the best part about that snafu is that if you called up apple tech support because your comp overheated and split the chips off the motherboard, apple's official troubleshooting step involved telling you to lift your pc 3 inches off your desk/floor and drop it (because the shock sometimes shifted the chips back into place)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Metrication posted:

there's tv adverts with him in saying dumb things like 'it runs windows so it works with all my stuff'

wait, what? I'm pretty sure the U.K. consumer advocacy groups could get the ad pulled and fines levied, they did it all the time with Apple's bullshit TV ads from the PowerPC days.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

uac was a necessary evil and all the nerdsproprietary software vendors telling their parentsclients how to turn it off probably set windows security back a year or twoten

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

at least now turning off uac entirely and reverting to xp's "all admin, all the time" security actually requires loving with the registry; the slider gets rid of the dialog boxes but it's still "on" and you still have to right-click "run as admin" if you want to run some software that way and it breaks some lovely software. Of course, loving with this part of the registry will also diable the Windows Store. :downs:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

its really weird that someone cant actually take control of microsoft and get the departments to stop sabotaging eachothers ideas. just get everyone important in a room, explain exactly what everybody is going to be doing now, and immediately fire anybody who pipes up with detracting arguments. right in the middle of the meeting just fire em for not getting the vision.

why is this impossible? i mean its probably too late by now but maybe 10 years ago it could have worked

up until last year they had stack ranking, a.k.a. "if you aren't actively sabotaging everyone else you'd better be keeping your cv up-to-date (which you should be doing anyway because you work at microsoft)"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft has always had everything they need to crush absolutely everybody but the problem is that they don't know how to fit them together.

just ship the Xbox One in pairs, that'll crush anybody :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fabricated posted:

For some reason there was an Ouya in there when I stopped by on Friday. :shrug:

this was pretty much the best possible way to end that story :allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eschaton posted:

especially when they're an utterly lovely resolution

the first ones were like 1024x768, not even full HD. and this was after full-HD LCD prices dropped through the floor

for $10K I expected it use multiple 2560x1600 IPS panels (which apple had been shipping for years by then) but no, scrub-level 1024x768 projector

Holy mother of gently caress :cripes:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

pretty sure accurate progress bars are one of the most monumental problems in computer science

time travel to the future where the install is complete so you know when it finishes, go back in time and adjust the progress bar change rate in consequence. easy!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sniep posted:

okay fine here

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fuuuck failed my microsoft cert exam today

it turns out they mislabeled the exam as "installing and configuring server 2012 r2" when it should have been called "unfucking the worst server admin ever's clusterfuck by only using powershell without internet access"

it's really weird to simultaneously see "terrible server decisions" juxtaposed with "but they have zero old stuff, it's all server 2012 and windows 8", not to mention "oh but you can't use any actually good software solutions because microsoft doesn't have those"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is Windows Live Messenger dead yet?

iirc every account got converted to a skype account so i think so?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

destin

de ballmeur

eau de toilette

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

permission from who

sony has an exclusivity deal for advertising with destiny, kind of like how call of duty ads will only mention being on xbox despite versions being on playstation/wiiu/pc

someone is almost guaranteed to be getting fired for that stunt

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

that's not the deal they have

the deal deal they have is that sony will spend X million dollars in ads for destiny, and those ads only mention playstation

but whatever activision spends, they're free to mention whatever playform they want

themoreyouknow.gif

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kirk posted:

im really going to enjoy reading the book that gets written in a few years about how ms hosed up so bad this gen

if you didn't already know destiny is a 100% playstation-exclusive in japan

despite this, imported us english-only copies of destiny for the xbox one are outselling sunset overdrive there

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kirk posted:

japan doesn't matter

:eyepop:

but, anime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why do some folk think putting their loving vacation/trip photos in their presentations and making comments regarding the local culture is appropriate behavior?

bitch we are an adult company doing adult business, gently caress off. the first time i witnessed this i almost died from second hand embarrassment.

i've seen this only from american it companies btw, is this a thing in the us? do you guys have to deal with these chucklefucks all the time?

(no we didn't do business with any of these morons. last time someone did this the deal went to LG, loving Lucky Goldstar.)

:mitt:

• Locked thread